• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus christ.

The effort some of you are putting into creating a certain narrative 3 days into a generation looking at cross gen games dropping 3 frames is fucking astounding.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
See, the problem with this is that consumers are very fickle when it comes to optics. We've been seeing for months that Series X is stronger and rightfully so hardware wise. So when these first games come out and the PS5 is constantly punching above its weight, thats going to start getting questions from consumers and start painting narratives. MS needs to get on these dev tools and quick.

In my experience, only the core enthusiasts care about a few dropped frames, a variance in pixels, a faster SSD, a faster GPU, etc. By extension, only enthusiasts care about the narratives that get created in gaming circles.

If my friends want to know about gaming stuff, they usually ask me about it because they know I'm into it. They play games but they aren't into gaming the same way I am. They don't visit forums, follow gaming news on Twitter, or listen to gaming podcasts, like I do. I don't even tell them where I get my info, they just know that I'm into this stuff XD

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
These new consoles are dropping to 1280x1200 to sustain 120 fps? This can't be right is a really low resolution.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ.

The effort some of you are putting into creating a certain narrative 3 days into a generation looking at cross gen games is fucking astounding.
It's pretty entertaining, I remember the good ole days where we could tell which version was better with our own eyes.

The need for there to be a "winner" will never go away

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Guess I can safely go with the PS5 Version for the adaptive triggers then. Just a bummer about the lack of VRR on PS5.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
needs to get on these dev tools and quick.

The tools are there, they are just new, whereas the ps5's are an extension of the tools they already use.
In multimillion $ multiplatform development there are a lot of systems what will have been hardwired over the last 7 years , so it's going to take a bit of time it seems.

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
Thought series S was 120 too. I remember seeing a page advertising some 120 frames games cod was on it together with the symbol of X|S.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
At 60FPS, looks like the X holds better.
5 dropped frames out of 27082 vs 2. If we're going to be measuring differences in single digit dropped frames out of 10000s - it's going to be a slow gen for DF...

Xbox SDK came in pretty late
Care to quantify this a bit?
GDK has been available for a minimum of 12 months to date (that I know of, could have been longer), which is more than many consoles got in the past before launch. Not saying PS5 couldn't have been much earlier than that (honestly don't know) but 'pretty late' is not how I'd describe SDK availability for XBox this gen.

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of real world performance, nobody will notice. Much like the load times that we've seen in multiplat games on both consoles, I doubt anyone will notice the difference in real life. I am curious, though, what changes will transpire, if any, as we get further into the generation. But as it currently stands, it's a wash between the 2 consoles.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I want to buy this on PS5 for the dual sense rumble but at the same time my SSD is almost full already and this game is probably like 250gb.

Oct 25, 2017
We know DX12 performs well on AMD HW so l find it hard to believe the reason Xbox isn't performing better at 120fps is because of API/SDK maturity.

Optmst

Apr 9, 2020
User banned (3 days): Console warring
So much drama for the last 6 months about the design of the PS5 when developers were trying to tell us they perform very similarly.
Yeah, remember the giant threads and media articles about the stupid and useless PR from Ubisoft about Valhalla's PS5 version being F4K and the Xbox version is Tru4K
I don't see articles about how PS5 is outperforming the Series X, I wonder why?
Hopefully no more drama

NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018
Looks like the comparison vids are going to be pretty boring this gen, which for us consumers is for the better. I have zero intention to ever buy an xbox but both machines are awesome this time. Last gen xbox was a joke(atleast to start) so this time around there is no clear loser in hardware. Great news for gamers. Bad news for warriors lol

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Yeah, remember the giant threads and media articles about the stupid and useless PR from Ubisoft about Valhalla's PS5 version being F4K and the Xbox version is Tru4K
I don't see articles about how PS5 is outperforming the Series X, I wonder why?
Hopefully no more drama
And now the ridiculous excuse of the development kit being late.

If it was noticeable more powerfull like people were saying here it will outperform ps5 in every game. But it is not what we are getting.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The second big next-gen AAA title that runs slightly better on the PS5. What a turn of events.

People need to stop doubting jschreier, Matt, the guys at Digital Foundry and you know....actual developers. Especially over random or unestablished "insiders", social media pundits and/or marketing slogans/phrases.

Side note, I'll pick this up on sale as I definitely want to test the DualSense implementation and the campaign actually looks fun and pretty graphically impressive.

I want to buy this on PS5 for the dual sense rumble but at the same time my SSD is almost full already and this game is probably like 250gb.

It takes up 133 GB on PS5 and 136 GB on Series X.

Edit: Seems like with the latest updates it uses up 147.4 GB on PS5 and 187.9 GB on Series X. Not sure why it's taking up an extra 40 GB on Series X. Maybe the Series S textures/assets are included in the file or something.

Last edited:

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Looks like the comparison vids are going to be pretty boring this gen, which for us consumers is for the better. I have zero intention to ever buy an xbox but both machines are awesome this time. Last gen xbox was a joke(atleast to start) so this time around there is no clear loser in hardware. Great news for gamers. Bad news for warriors lol
Warriors be sad.

CoD campaign running at 120fps on consoles... wow.
Of course the question now is - Why didn't they make it look better at 60 :)

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Omg my system has slightly more pixels and keeps stable framerate .02% better than yours!!! Couldnt be me playing on such mediocre hardware!

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
I think the only conclusion that can be drawn from these early comparisons is that any talk of PS5 being 'underpowered' is utter nonsense, and there will be no significant performance difference between the two consoles. Beyond that, I'm sure both consoles will produce amazing results in the years to come as devs get better at using them.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
New gen launch games are always a little rough around the edges but I think CoD looks to be the most polished that I've seen this time out? Aside from like Yakuza.

And I thought that CoD had a 120fps option on Series S. They advertise like it does. Weird. Performance looks solid across the board, might jump in on this one. Loved BO4 but didn't bother with MW.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
The tools are there, they are just new, whereas the ps5's are an extension of the tools they already use.
In multimillion $ multiplatform development there are a lot of systems what will have been hardwired over the last 7 years , so it's going to take a bit of time it seems.

I guess that's why Sony has so much content for launch and also has an insane 2021 lineup. I expect MS to have a really good holiday 2021 and beyond though.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Both systems are great. Average people don't care about these small differences.
Absolutely correct. They will go where their friends are, or what games look interesting. I imagine next to none of them will worry about 120fps.

VRR combined with high frame rate on consoles is secretly the best next gen feature, just no one realizes it cause either their console or TV doesn't support it.
You won't see tearing but you will still notice the fluctuations right?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
What's the reason for the late dev kits? Missed that.
The devkits were late due to Microsoft waiting for AMD to finish full RDNA2 and according to MS Xbox are now the only console to support full RDNA2.
Jesus christ.

The effort some of you are putting into creating a certain narrative 3 days into a generation looking at cross gen games dropping 3 frames is fucking astounding.
Yep, it's weird. Having said that I don't expect the difference to ever get big as both consoles are beasts, but Xbox should be the slightly better performing hardware in the future.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The devkits were late due to Microsoft waiting for AMD to finish full RDNA2 and according to MS Xbox are now the only console to support full RDNA2.
Yep, it's weird. Having said that I don't expect the difference to ever get big as both consoles are beasts, but Xbox should be the slightly better performing hardware in the future.

Pretty funny that the big software company has the best hardware and the big hardware company has the best software.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck both consoles tearing this game a new arsehole :)

Great to see them both performing so well, whatever platform is your preference be happy :)

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty funny that the big software company has the best hardware and the big hardware company has the best software.

I think it's more PS5 tools are an improvement and iteration on PS4 which means a lot of familiarity. MS is going with GameCore to align PC and Console development which will pay dividends later by making PC to console incredibly easy but as it stands now they are effectively completely new tools.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I think it's more PS5 tools are an improvement and iteration on PS4 which means a lot of familiarity. MS is going with GameCore to align PC and Console development which will pay dividends later by making PC to console incredibly easy but as it stands now they are effectively completely new tools.
Yep and as many choices this generation, there is no definite right or wrong imo. Both had reasons to do what they've done and I am still excited about both companies hitting it out of the park as they did. I can't remember the last time a new gen was so exciting to me due to both consoles potential.