• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Interesting to see these results when Series X supports 120 in Warzone, and PS5 does not. I'm sure the latter could, but then why would Infinity Ward only silently slip in an update for such on the Xbox?

What this is looking like to me, is it's likely a case of devs not yet being fully acquainted with Series X dev kits (like John from DF even said, if he said that). Once everything is familiarized, then we should see more improvements across the board. Still, it's not like there is a drastic difference here, either; we're getting amazing ass frame rates on both.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the virtualization layer overhead is having a small impact on performance on XSX. I wouldn't be surprised this was the case if the tools are still very new.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll, it looks super solid on both platforms. Who cares about 3fps difference in average FPS when both consoles are aiming for 120. It will literally be completely unnoticeable.

As many have said, Series X dev tools are behind right now, so we'll see where things land in a year or two.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting to see these results when Series X supports 120 in Warzone, and PS5 does not. I'm sure the latter could, but then why would Infinity Ward only silently slip in an update for such on the Xbox?

What this is looking like to me, is it's likely a case of devs not yet being fully acquainted with Series X dev kits (like John from DF even said, if he said that). Once everything is familiarized, then we should see more improvements across the board. Still, it's not like there is a drastic difference here, either; we're getting amazing ass frame rates on both.
PS5 doesn't support 120hz for BC mode. They would probably make significant change to the game while is much easier to patch for Xbox.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I'm going to guess that most third party games are going to be pretty much identical this gen. It's only going to be first party that are custom tailored to each platform respective advantages.

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I just played through the campaign on PS5 and there were a few parts where frames were absolutely dropping with RT on. It dropped hard on mine, to what felt like... 30fps. Immediately stopped after turning off RT.

If anyone wants to try it on their console here is one of the areas where I had issues:

5:48 in video, right before that door in the Break on Through mission. Looking up killed my frames with RT on.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
both are pretty close, but we've just started this gen, so much more optimization and learnings to be had on both consoles. XSX will probably show its brute strength later on, but it's nice to see the PS5 can hold it own for now.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
As Richard Leadbetter put it in the DMCV comparison, PS5 is likely punching above its weight. And yea, I trust him and John to accurately report on the grumbling from some of the devs with the new PC Console unified GDK.

Sony has come a very long way from the days of PS3 to PS5 insofar as tools are concerned.

3 things:

1) It's early in the gen on brand new hardware, it will take time for devs to get fully up to speed
2) The PS5 dev tools are simply better and more mature right now
3) It turns out Sony wasn't lying about "fast and narrow" having some benefits over "wide and slow"

Ultimatly the machines are very close to each other, and that's the best possible outcome.

Somewhere, a specific user who I shall not name (and likely still banned) is fuming at your underlined point.

Seems like in a dedicated game related environment the delta between the two is truly not significant if DMCV uncapped framerate test was an indication (esp. insofar as the mean values are concerned).

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To those who have played it and tried both: What would you recommend? 60fps w/ ray tracing & higher res or 120fps?

I'm thinking of going 60fps for campaign and 120fps for multiplayer but I wanted to hear what everyone's thoughts are here.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Everyone should want parity between these consoles. I'm tired of the wars... Having just one generation where nobody focuses on the differences but the actual games themselves would honestly be amazing (and a first).

I hope this keeps being the case. I hope they keep running and looking just as great as eachother.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Its crazy we're getting launch games at 120fps. It's a massive leap from last gen, and that both consoles are able to maintain such frame rates reasonably consistent at better graphical fidelity shows how powerful both these consoles are.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
EmyfdRCXUAA_Yo2

edit: not sure about the source of this, so think of it what you will,
it's already on the internet, so i thought i could share it
you can delete/report it if you want to, has also been posted in the Xbox Game Studios thread

They have been pretty open about that suspected opinion, not sure why someone would bother screenshotting it in a twitter DM. Rich and John have both hinted that they've heard as much several times now, it's not some secret.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Xbox SX use the CPU for audio and data decompression unlike PS5? That could be the reason for these results.
Nope, XSX/S use dedicated hardware for both.
news.xbox.com

Defining the Next Generation: An Xbox Series X|S Technology Glossary - Xbox Wire

[Editor’s Note: Updated on 10/21 at 11AM to ensure it is now reflective of the capabilities across both of our next-gen Xbox consoles following the unveil of Xbox Series S.] As we enter a new generation of console gaming with Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, we’ve made a number of technology...

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
PS5 looks like a damn good choice to play all the 3rd party titles this gen, kinda shocked how it is outperforming Series X again, and not just by a hair either.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Not a good look for MS to be honest. I mean that opening cutscene even saw drops.......Yeah I understand "Tools" and all that but you want to come out swinging when you launch a console.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how John has the patience to respond to messages like "Xsx is shit?"

this is his problem. He is honestly so super genuine and nice and it looks as if he tries to cut through people bullshit and see the good but honestly, especially online, people are assholes and I worry for his health. He seems like such a good man

on topic, when we talking a few frames here or there nobody would know, unless you had a counter one was a few more than the other. So this is great news for next gen!

Cl0ud7

Oct 26, 2018
As Richard Leadbetter put it in the DMCV comparison, PS5 is likely punching above its weight. And yea, I trust him and John to accurately report on the grumbling from some of the devs with the new PC Console unified GDK.

Sony has come a very long way from the days of PS3 to PS5 insofar as tools are concerned.

Somewhere, a specific user who I shall not name (and likely still banned) is fuming at your underlined point.

Seems like in a dedicated game related environment the delta between the two is truly not significant if DMCV uncapped framerate test was an indication (esp. insofar as the mean values are concerned).
Are you talking about a famous television host?

Oct 30, 2017
Everyone should want parity between these consoles. I'm tired of the wars... Having just one generation where nobody focuses on the differences but the actual games themselves would honestly be amazing (and a first).

I hope this keeps being the case. I hope they keep running and looking just as great as eachother.
Yeah and so far we have seen way more parity and similar performance compared to last gen.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Why cant I get 120 FPS to work. I set it to performance mode. My Monitor is 144hz. RT is off. I should be able to get 120 FPS @ 1080p but I cant.

Anyone help me?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Another game where they're even. Whatever the reason ,it's kinda funny after what feels like years of drama on their specs and how they stack up.

What's the reason for the late dev kits? Missed that.

Also, COD actually looks great graphically @120.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland

Yeah, I fully agree.

I'm surprised to see people trying to make a big spin out of the results we already have. People losing their minds over a 3fps difference.. You'd be lucky to see such a narrow gap with two comparable PCs, for goodness sake.

All I've seen from these technical videos is that the next gen seems great for both sides.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 looks like a damn good choice to play all the 3rd party titles this gen, kinda shocked how it is outperforming Series X again, and not just by a hair either.

Idk, as someone with a PS5 and 1440p display, the lack of Sony supporting 1440p display output really hurts. Especially in the performance example in the OP.

So I either have to choose between 1080p120 stretched to a 32" display, or 4K60 for my display to downsample to 1440p. These performance numbers are great but Sony needs to support 1440p display output asap so we can enjoy 120Hz goodness on console.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017

What? They are almost identical. its less than hair if anything.

I'm actually more surprised the difference isn't more given the Xbox dev tools situation (if true)

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another game where they're even. Whatever the reason ,it's kinda funny after what feels like years of drama on their specs and how they stack up.

What's the reason for the late dev kits? Missed that.

Also, COD actually looks great graphically @120.
Might have to do with waiting for full RDNA2 spec, and Xbox Dev tools support all Xboxes+PC. It's not solely based on one piece of hardware. Jez (windows central) has mentioned it's a big deal for MS.

Last edited:

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The differences in all these games has been basically nothing so far. I mean, when we're talking 59.99fps vs 60fps or 5 second loading times vs 6 second loading times, I really don't think any of this matters in the slightest.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
The picture that's being painted is pretty clear. In the near term PS5 and Series X are near identical.

The amount of people that had so much conviction that the ps5 was an underpowered, rushed, featureless mess, that was going to underperform compared to its advertised numbers, was outclassed by superior engineers, and would be hindered further by not having direct X, etc etc even had me believing there was going to be a substantial difference.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see what next year's game is going to perform/look like with both platforms maturing, it's a really great sign that both platforms are actually able to deliver 120 fps and it's not with some gigantic image quality reductions.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Yeah, I fully agree.

I'm surprised to see people trying to make a big spin out of the results we already have. People losing their minds over a 3fps difference.. You'd be lucky to see such a narrow gap with two comparable PCs, for goodness sake.

All I've seen from these technical videos is that the next gen seems great for both sides.
Oh man, absolutely. You would likely never see results this on PC between two similarly built rigs. Yeah yeah, power talk aside, I see no negatives in this; people can just focus on the games themselves right now, and much less on pixel peeping or obsessing over a few frames that you won't notice.

Plus, we're what, a week into next gen? And, only a handful of games have been compared so far; it's best to wait and not draw immediate conclusions on either "side".

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
It's almost like boiling down the experience you were going to get on your console to a single generalized number has become increasingly less relevant, as numerous people tried to talk about for the last while.

Who knows where stuff will end up in a few years time as platforms mature, but for now it's pretty great that you don't have to worry about having a significantly worse experience on either console with these large multi platform titles.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
The differences in all these games has been basically nothing so far. I mean, when we're talking 59.99fps vs 60fps or 5 second loading times vs 6 second loading times, I really don't think any of this matters in the slightest.

Pretty much, both systems are beasts so far it seems. Granted, we're still at the start of this gen, but I'm pretty stoked that both systems seem to be running most of the launch games smooth as all hell.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
That DM screenshot originated from that Astal guy on Twitter. He is one of the biggest Xbox fanboys out there, I wouldn't recommend even looking up his account. He said shit like "don't trust the Media, including DF", just because the PS5 does slightly better in certain scenarios and he likes to call out John as a "Sony shill".

That being sad, both consoles are pretty much running the game as expected. The only surprise to me is that the PS5 is actually able to hold up the 120fps more consistently. Both are pretty much locked 60fps with no drops at all.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Not a good look for MS to be honest. I mean that opening cutscene even saw drops.......Yeah I understand "Tools" and all that but you want to come out swinging when you launch a console.

Yeah that's my takeaway from all this. Microsoft claiming they have the most powerful console but having absolutely nothing to demonstrate that claim is damaging their messaging.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So much drama for the last 6 months about the design of the PS5 when developers were trying to tell us they perform very similarly.