• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EAUA

Banned
Nov 8, 2019
I tweeted Cory Balrog about it. Maybe he'll respond.
DGuvr5WW0AEQan3

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
So what I did was turn off auto update and sleep updates. Installed the game and while the patch was downloading I canceled and deleted it and it hasn't tried to update it again after opening and closing the game a few times.

If you just pause the update while it's downloading will it ever resume on its own? Even after turning the console on and off?

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol "physical media wins again" when I'm out here playing monster hunter with my 2 kids having bought the game once.

With PS5, going digital as never been so good imo and presents huge savings for people with multiple systems and multiplayer games.

As for GoW, this is something they should patch.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
This seems like it's supposed to be a dunk on XBSX, but MS has done a wayyyy better job of supporting BC with free patches/upgrades for Xbox One games, as well as automatic improvements for 360 and Xbox OG games.

Sony on the other hand only supports PS4, and is charging for a remaster of a game released just 2 years ago on PS4.

Yeah it's a dunk on XBSX. When MS doesn't have BC without online activation that's one hell of a dunk.

Fully available BC will always be in a different level altogether than online activated profiles. It's not even a contest. If your system doesn't do offline BC, get out of here.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's a dunk on XBSX. When MS doesn't have BC without online activation that's one hell of a dunk.

Fully available BC will always be in a different level altogether than online activated profiles. It's not even a contest. If your system doesn't do offline BC, get out of here.

Eh such a small inconvenience. If you're trying to play on a modern system and you can't get online even once to activate a game you are screwed anyways. Every modern game comes with patches on patches nowadays.

The BC story on Xbox is absolutely better and higher effort than on Playstation.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Eh such a small inconvenience. If you're trying to play on a modern system and you can't get online even once to activate a game you are screwed anyways. Every modern game comes with patches on patches nowadays.

If I'm on PS5 or on any other system that has real BC then I'll do just fine without online. And that's the whole point.

Still lots of games out there that don't need any substantial patches. If you only play games that need patches, you're playing the wrong games.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm on PS5 or on any other system that has real BC then I'll do just fine without online. And that's the whole point.

Still lots of games out there that don't need any substantial patches. If you only play games that need patches, you're playing the wrong games.

Cool you can play a handful of games that run better than on PS4, but without any bugfix patches to fix other issues in them.

Meanwhile XSX/S has hundreds of games with enhancements made and tested specifically for those devices across 3 gens.

I own both, and the Xbox absolutely has better support for BC. I've been jumping into tons of older titles through gamepass that look amazing for how old they are with 4k+auto HDR added to them. On PS5 all you get is load times and slight framerates bumps. In fact if this were an Xbox Title I can almost guarantee this mode would be patched in for the X/S. Most major first party titles were enhanced for the Xbox Series family.

Playstation crushes it on content, but they don't really care about improving their back catalog.

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Really needs to get patched and fixed for digital version. Bought a 10 dollar disc version on sale today as a backup. Will hold onto it since I have until end of Jan to return it, see if the digital version gets patched.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
This is INSANE. I did all the trouble associated with downloading a digital copy through the proxy to get the 1.0 version on the PS4 with a dedicated external hard drive for it (plus Last Guardian 1.0) and wow, this is almost like a new remastered game on PS5 in HDR with an LG CX.

The game looks stunning as it always did on Pro but the 60FPS adds such fluidity on top. I really hope they patch this (and more PS4 first party titles) because it's a shame that people can't experience this without a lot of work. It's absolutely breathtaking.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
This is INSANE. I did all the trouble associated with downloading a digital copy through the proxy to get the 1.0 version on the PS4 with a dedicated external hard drive for it (plus Last Guardian 1.0) and wow, this is almost like a new remastered game on PS5 in HDR with an LG CX.

The game looks stunning as it always did on Pro but the 60FPS adds such fluidity on top. I really hope they patch this (and more PS4 first party titles) because it's a shame that people can't experience this without a lot of work. It's absolutely breathtaking.

Nani??? There is a magical proxy way to get a 1.00 (60FPS ) digital version of the game? How? Does it work with the PS+ version I own?

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
Nani??? There is a magical proxy way to get a 1.00 (60FPS ) digital version of the game? How? Does it work with the PS+ version I own?

Yes, but it's quite time consuming and a bit of effort (worth it to play GOW in 4K60 imo).

The instructions are all here:
www.resetera.com

How to get The Last Guardian, AC Unity and Arkham City ready for 60fps on the PS5 Digital Edition Rumor

Just having psx dl helper running is the same thing as not having it running. You're not even intercepting or blocking anything.

The above will allow you to download the unpatched version of any game. And yeah it works once you have a license for the game on your account (be it purchase, Plus Collection etc).

Be very careful not to let it patch itself, you have to pause the patch which starts downloading and any time you launch the game it will resume itself. It also has to be downloaded on PS4 first because the method doesn't work properly on PS5.

I recommend using a small external drive you don't care about if you have one, put the game on that via PS4 and only plug it into PS5 when you want to play this game, so it can't accidentally patch it in the background. But yeah... it is quite a bit of work.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully they can patch this. Got the disc. Looks beautiful and the way I would love to play it. But my like 70% done game save is not comparable.
I'll start from scratch for this frame rate and resolution of need be. But hoping someone like Cory let's us know if a patch could be/is in the works.

Oct 27, 2017
So I just got a copy of gow physical. If I install the game do I have to always stay offline until done with the game or can I just not select to update the game afterwards.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY

Have people bugged Corey yet?

I mean the game literally works on PS5 at 4k/60! Why not add a mode to the game for PS5 like Suckered Punch did to GoT?

This stuff is so stupid.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i own the physical game for PS4. Which i beat and was thinking to start a New Game+ on PS5.
can i just put the disk in the PS5 offline...and it will be good? Can i go online ever? Will my save carry over? Or do i have to start a fresh game to get this. Also didn't they add some good stuff in patches that i'll miss out on

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
This stuff is so stupid.
My take is that if it was so easy, they would have done it and patched it now.

You can't just toggle a switch and patch the game, you have to go through cert to make sure that it doesn't brick the console etc so it can be time consuming

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
My take is that if it was so easy, they would have done it and patched it now.

You can't just toggle a switch and patch the game, you have to go through cert to make sure that it doesn't brick the console etc so it can be time consuming

Just like The Last Guardian, version 1.0 of GOW has 4K/60 mode already.

Heck, the game works 1080p/60 already so the framerate won't break anything. Even so, other games that are approved do run with slight bugs. They can still let users have the option. Its not like all the games run 100%. (Most do, some with bugs)

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Just like The Last Guardian, version 1.0 of GOW has 4K/60 mode already.

Heck, the game works 1080p/60 already so the framerate won't break anything. Even so, other games that are approved do run with slight bugs. They can still let users have the option. Its not like all the games run 100%. (Most do, some with bugs)
Yeah, true tbf

Let's hope! I'm planning on playing both of these games in the near future so it'd be nice to experience them at 4k*/60

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Look in your ps5 settings. There is options to configure both system updates and game updates to happen automatically or for them not to happen. This will be global though, I don't think there is a was to stop automatic updates for just GoW, its for ALL GAMES.

so just disable automatic updates for games, remember to Manually update the games you need to play online and you should be fine.

Oct 27, 2017
As you are installing it, go to the installation page and stop it from updating, or better yet pause it because it will keep trying to update.
Look in your ps5 settings. There is options to configure both system updates and game updates to happen automatically or for them not to happen. This will be global though, I don't think there is a was to stop automatic updates for just GoW, its for ALL GAMES.

so just disable automatic updates for games, remember to Manually update the games you need to play online and you should be fine.
Ok thank you!

Sep 22, 2019
Isn't the performance mode on PS4 Pro uncapped? Or the main problem is that that mode is limited to 1080p and people want 4K?

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Probably. It would be weird to press a different disc then have different upgrade paths from versions. Either way I will let you know in a bit because that's the version I got and will install in couple hours
Nintendo does it but they are carts so maybe the manufactoring is different.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
I just started playing this unpatched. Just turn off auto-update and you should be good.

The game looks amazing in 4K and I haven't gotten any perceivable drops from 60 during my play session thus far.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like there really isn't a away to keep this from trying to update. Even with the suggest toggles. I guess I am keeping my ps5 offlie for the foreseeable future. Not a big deal, would have been better if it was just patched up rather than doing all this.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
I just started playing this unpatched. Just turn off auto-update and you should be good.

The game looks amazing in 4K and I haven't gotten any perceivable drops from 60 during my play session thus far.
Like I said to the poster above, turning off auto-update doesn't seem to work. It starts to update every time you start the game so my advice will be to pause the update. That way it won't keep adding it.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn i forgot about this and downloaded the entire game from the PS plus Collection so no 4K.I guess i will delete the game and use the disk instead.

60 fps feels so amazing though.