• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
"Weak year"

"COD is a contender" (actually said the ONLY other one lmfao)

"Death Stranding appears to be boring"

Any case one would try to make for Gears 5 is instantly ridiculed by such a shitty article tbh

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
I really hope the campaign elevates the game towards being a GOTY or even better a must play, but starting your statement with "it's a weak year" is very telling about the depth of your argument

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Being a pretty Big Gears fan Myself, I know i'm going to enjoy the hell out of it personally for sure, but that's a pretty bold statement out of presumably not even playing the whole game. I'd love it to be true though, but there is a lot of stiff competition this year (RE2, DMCV, Sekiro, Death Stranding, etc.).

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I dont think any of those game is that outstanding tbh is a pretty weak year I like them but they ain't defacto goty candidates

Whether or not you like them or not they are basically the top 3 metacritic rated games so far this year. General user reception seems to be in line with those review scores.

Proclaiming that GOTY is Gears5 to lose off a trailer and that two unreleased games are its only competition is kind of silly.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Re-reading the article it seriously sounds like the dude hasn't even played the game and is basing this on "previous Gears had good campaigns" + "trailer looks good"

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
"will be game of the year because 2018 is a weak year" isn't a strong endorsement. I think these games would be on top so far:

- sekiro
- dmc5 (didnt play this one)
- remake2

Replace DMC with Shadowbringers and you have the goty list, so far at least. Everything outside of Sekiro, FF14, and RE2 has been entirely skippable. I just bailed on Fire Emblem 4 chapters from the end out of boredom.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont think any of those game is that outstanding tbh is a pretty weak year I like them but they ain't defacto goty candidates
This is how sad and trained some of y'all are. You need a "de facto" GOTY candidates to be considered a great year. There are tons of great games this year. You don't need one to stand way out ahead of the pack.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
"Weak year"

- Resident Evil 2
- Devil May Cry 5
- Sekiro
- Kingdom Hearts 3
- Judgment
- Doom Eternal
- Death Stranding
- Mortal Kombat 11
- Dragon Quest Builders 2
- Division 2
- Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
- Super Mario Maker 2
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Metro Exodus
- Borderlands 3
- Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
- Control
- The Outer Worlds
- Astral Chain
And we're still missing DOOM Eternal, Iceborne, Death Stranding (this one could go either way tbh,) this hasn't been a weak year by any measure.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I honestly don't give a crap if it's GOTY or not, I think we all already know it will go to DS, let's not kid ourselves. Not that it would be my choice....

I look forward to playing the campaign and tons of fun as hell Horde matches.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I personally think this year has been pretty weak in terms of GOTY contenders. Just compared to the last couple of years anyways. But if Gears 5 is better than RE 2, Sekiro, Death Stranding, and Borderlands 3 - that would be pretty incredible. Microsoft hasn't had a legit GOTY contender in a long while it feels like.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
This is how sad and trained some of y'all are. You need a "de facto" GOTY candidates to be considered a great year. There are tons of great games this year. You don't need one to stand way out ahead of the pack.
Yeah, that's the only real difference so far. Last 2 years had obvious winners early in the year, with 2 other extremely high rated games at the years end. This year is probably one of the most competitive of the gen, but because there's no God of War, BoTW, RDR2 or Mario Odyssey overshadowing everything else in the discussion people seem to not realize that doesn't mean there wasn't many great games this year.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
"this year is weak"
"it will just beat CoD for GOTY"

Yeah, say no more.
I really hope Gears 5 will be good, MS deserves to have a solid exclusive hit, but I'm not convinced.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't have Edelgard, Manuela or Petra from Fire Emblem, so no
What kind of take is this

YikesOW.jpeg

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
It could be I guess, this is one of the weakest years of this decade.

But still, it should be A LOT better than 4 for that.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I have a hunch my top 5 will end up looking like this (not in order):
-Sekiro
-The Outer Worlds
-Age of Empires II DE
-DOOM Eternal
-Outer Wilds

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This thread doesn't seem to be generating productive conversation, and the article in the OP looks like it is from a suspect source. As a result, the thread is locked. As a reminder, here are some relevant guidelines from our FAQ:
Check Your Sources

If you are citing any sources (including articles or videos) while creating a thread, please scrutinize them to make sure that they are reliable ones. Try not to create threads based on random tweets, conspiracy theories, tabloids, or other questionable sources. If you are unfamiliar with a source, take the time to do research and determine whether it is reliable before posting it. If the source you were looking at proves unsuitable, search for an alternative that might be more acceptable. If no reliable source can be found, the premise of the thread itself may need to be reconsidered. If a source is reliable but not well known, make sure that you explain why it should be taken seriously. We reserve the right to lock threads about controversial public figures whose views we may not want to signal boost or provide a platform for.
Show Some Effort

Being the Original Poster (OP) of a thread means that it's up to you to provide the foundation for good discussion. When you create a thread, you should include more than just one or two short sentences; make sure that there is enough substance to sustain an interesting conversation. Write as clearly and articulately as possible. Consider whether you're presenting the subject in a way that will generate good discussion. Make sure you are posting the thread in the correct section of the forum, and use the preview feature to double check your work before posting. After creating your thread, consider adding a Cover Image to spruce up its presentation. Do not make provocative threads only to bail on them after the first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.