• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
platform-of-the-year-2020-1024x576.jpg

PS4 didn't only finish its reign as Sony's top system on a high note, it set the tone for the PlayStation 5. 2020 was a culmination of a message that began in 2013 at launch. A focus on blockbuster, exclusive games.

It's hard to imagine a generation going better for anyone than the PS4's era of dominance did for Sony. It's the second-highest selling home console of all time, behind it's older brother the PlayStation 2. All of this coming after some were heralding the end times for consoles before the generation even began.

In a year in which the focus would firmly shift towards the PlayStation 5, Sony has done tremendously well in sending off the PS4 in style.

www.videogameschronicle.com

VGC’s Platform of the Year: PlayStation 4 | VGC

In a year in which PS5 was the focus, Sony gave its last-gen console a tremendous send-off…

staff post - stay on topic

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Alright let's try this again. We've had to lock two VGC awards threads in recent days because people haven't been able to act like adults. For the record yesterday we reviewed the Phil Spencer thread and issued a large number of bans for Sony console warriors who derailed it – what we found was that the thread was fine, initially, and nobody cared about Transistor's lukewarm take about PR until some usual suspects decided to turn the thread into a battleground. Those usual suspects are now banned.

The "retaliation" or whatever you want to call it in the PS4 thread is equally embarrassing and all of it, on both sides, is going to stop here and now. There has to be a way to discuss these awards, and even disagree about these awards, without trying to troll other members off of the site. So here's how we're going to do this.
  • Stay laser focused on the topic. Trying to make the discussion about other members, other threads, previous drama, the staff or other metacommentary, will result in a long ban.
  • You can criticize the award choice if you want, but your posts must be well thought out and reasonably presented. If it looks like you're just here to stir shit, you will be banned. We will be checking post histories so don't try to be slick.
  • Do not attack other members personally. If you see someone you think might be breaking the rules, report them and move on. Do not get into a back and forth, otherwise you might be banned along with them.
There will be no warnings issued in these threads anymore, and ban lengths will escalate as hard as necessary to keep the peace. Staff will have very little patience for anyone trying to game these rules or cause drama.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Fully deserving imo, it was an amazing year filled with big time exclusives. 3 of which were getting multiple nominations at the game awards for different categories.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Agreed. This was an amazing year for the PS4. Heck, the PS4 is one of my favourite consoles ever, and I've been gaming since the Commodore 64 days.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Very difficult to disagree. The lineup of exclusive/console exclusive games on PS5 this year is one of the strongest I can think of in recent history.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Even though it's better on PS5, Tsushima alone made my year and that's a PS4 title, so well deserved.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Pretty well deserved. They were able to send off PS4 with a year of massive games and still had big games left for the launch of the PS5, rectifying one of PS4's weaknesses.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sony's output was incredible this year. I don't think I've bought more games from one publisher in a single year.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Playstation was the most time I've spent of gaming this year I think there's currently a huge gap vs my experience in other platforms. But there's still a lot of room for improvement that could be made for the platform like recently, CP2077 showed the refund systems I think needs an overhaul but I think in terms of content, I don't think there's a system ever played that ended so strong in it's final year while delivering on new system launch too.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah PS4 is still kicking. Confusing Horizon is Cross-gen, and GoW2 mostly likely will be, it'll have life for a bit longer

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
They released two 3D platformers this year which is great. Both really good

Wish sony would market Sackboy better. It's really good

Last edited:

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
It's insane what Sony manages to do for PS3 and PS4 in the year their successor launches. They send off their platform with a massive bang. And I think it really gives confidence to owners of those machines that the next PlayStation is a great investment in the long term.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
2 games that fell into my favorites of all time list were exclusive to Playstation 4 this year. Thats huge. Sony knocked it out of the park and looks like they're keeping that ball rolling into 2021 as well. Incredible stuff.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. Our PS4's after running Final Fantasy VII Remake, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima back-to-back, and then being asked to boot up Cyberpunk 2077:

bfxn1uxkzrxnibcgjzxl.jpg

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
PS4 is definitely in the running for greatest console of all time.

PS4 vs PS2 vs SNES

I don't know which one wins between them, but anyone who had even one of them has an amazing library to comb through.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Agreed. This was an amazing year for the PS4. Heck, the PS4 is one of my favourite consoles ever, and I've been gaming since the Commodore 64 days.
Same here. I had a fantastic time with the ps4. I gave the pro to my kids to keep the usage going.

I loved the ps1 and ps2, but the 4 was really special. My wife gave it to me day one for our 10 year anniversary so I will never forget it.

Pho King

Jan 8, 2018
When I first saw VGCS, I thought it was Video Game Chartz as I have never heard of Video Games Chronicles before. Are they new?

Also, they didn't do Best Platform of the Year last year, did they?

PS4 definitely deserves the award this year with FFVII Remake, TLOU 2 and GoT, not to mention Spider-Man: Miles Morales. But if those games were re-released this year for the PS5, I would definitely give it to the PS5 due to DualSense.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Hard to argue otherwise. The Switch also had a fantastic year, but didn't quite have the software quality to back up its sales, though Animal Crossing and Hades were both fantastic exclusives (or almost-exclusive in the latter case).

Hopefully Nintendo will kick things into high gear for new owners in 2021, and at least one of their upcoming holy trinity will hit store shelves.

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. They have been hitting it out of the park the past four years or so but the fact they gave an amazing send of to the PS4 while still providing for the PS5 is awesome.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
FFVIIR, TLOU2, GoT. Yup no doubt about it.

Should we really include a money hat game in the list?

PS4 did great, and if anything as the swam song year deserved recognition of what was accomplished along the way.

Personally, I really think Switch absolutely nailed the year though. I started the year with 0 and now have 4. And friends and family, in these covid-19 times, did something very similar. And animal crossing, hades, and all the first party releases really have made it shine in this year of all years for so many people - mainstream and core gamers.

Oct 27, 2017
Dreams, Persona 5 Royal, FFVIIR, TLoU2, Ghosts of Tsushima, Spider-Man:MM, Sackboy, amongst a bunch of third-parties is a fantastic 'final' year and one involving multiple genres from first party alone. It is very hard to argue they didn't hit a real groove this year. Nintendo with Switch did some incredible things in terms of AC, while Xbox worked on some exciting services with Xcloud and Gamepass Ultimate this year too though. But as a single platform PS4 was exceptional.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
As I said in the other thread, ff7r, GoT, TLOU2 and P5R make this a no brainer. Crazy line up.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Typical Sony going out with a bang and I think this is the perfect award for them. We can only hope that other console manufactures take note. They steamrolled into next-gen.

I really dislike award threads because they are toxic, but I have to give credit when it is deserved.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Yeah, there's very little disputing that. Dreams, Persona 5 Royal, Final Fantasy VII Remake, The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima...that's a hell of a combo. Nothing else really touched it, despite a few heavy hitters elsewhere.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should we really include a money hat game in the list?

PS4 did great, and if anything as the swam song year deserved recognition of what was accomplished along the way.

Personally, I really think Switch absolutely nailed the year though. I started the year with 0 and now have 4. And friends and family, in these covid-19 times, did something very similar. And animal crossing, hades, and all the first party releases really have made it shine in this year of all years for so many people - mainstream and core gamers.
Yes because it was only on the PS4 this year.

Anyway, the platform did extremely well this year.