• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
The internal SSDs in the new Xboxes are only 2.4 GB/s, which doesn't even max out the bandwidth of PCIe 3.0. Most mid range NVMe SSDs these days are at least that fast if not faster.

They're also only using 2 lanes as is the expansion slot, so you're going to need something with twice the speed to match the internal drive.

Did everybody miss the part in the article where they're using an almost identical model m2 drive to the one that's already in the Series X?

From what I understand they actually pulled it from an xbox so we really shouldn't jump to conclusions yet.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
They're also only using 2 lanes as is the expansion slot, so you're going to need something with twice the speed to match the internal drive.

From what I understand they actually pulled it from an xbox so we really shouldn't jump to conclusions yet.
Read to me that they used the same model, but not an exact one extracted from an Xbox itself. Could be a lost in translation thing though

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Read to me that they used the same model, but not an exact one extracted from an Xbox itself. Could be a lost in translation thing though

He was specifically using a SN530 m.2 2230 PCIe 4.0 x2, unless I'm wrong this variant can only be found in the xbox. If you try that buy that drive by itself you'll get a PCIe 3.0 x4 version.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
The internal SSDs in the new Xboxes are only 2.4 GB/s, which doesn't even max out the bandwidth of PCIe 3.0. Most mid range NVMe SSDs these days are at least that fast if not faster.
It's PCIe 4.0 x2.

Still, can do up to 4GB/s but at the time, no drives could do it on 4.0 x2 that didn't cost an arm and leg.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I said before that they should at least make an enclosure so people can buy other drives that are cheaper if they want to expand instead of relying solely on proprietary stuff that will cause issues down the road.....I'd love this to be a thing we can use
It'll be a thing people can use, just not something Microsoft are willing to build and support.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine it's only a matter of time before someone makes an enclosure that spoofs itself to look official
Ive been absolutely praying for this solution. Kinda reminds me when I bought a newer 360 from my launch model, and all you had to do was take apart the OG external drive case And slide the SATA drive into the new models bay and it worked fine.

Does the OS recognize it to play SS/SX optimized games though?

*NVM looks like it counts as storage expansion so it should work I'm assuming lol

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I have the official extra storage already, but I bought the lower price adapter to test some of my other m.2 drives.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Xbox should simply allow other drives being used and let manufacturer make enclosures.
Great stuff. I was always under the impression that we'd get more manufacturers in the future which should put pressure on the price tag.

Cool to see that all of this could be done with an adapter.

We don't know when the exclusive contract with Seagate is gonna end, right?
No we don't know that and if there is a contract, then it must be about external drives only. Internal Xbox console already use Western Digital from time to time.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm kind of confused. The post makes it seem like the user took an internal Xbox Series X SSD, popped it onto a CFexpress adapter, and slotted it into a Series S.

But they also mention a CH SN530 which is found here.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of confused. The post makes it seem like the user took an internal Xbox Series X SSD, popped it onto a CFexpress adapter, and slotted it into a Series S.

But they also mention a CH SN530 which is found here.

The SN530 they tested is the internal drive. The one you linked is not the same despite the identical model number, it is PCIe 3.0 vs the PCIe 4.0 x2 internal drive.

Sep 29, 2019
Wouldn't be surprised if an adapter started showing up, similar to something like the SD2Vita. The prices on MS' expansion card is simply ridiculously high tbh.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
The SN530 they tested is the internal drive. The one you linked is not the same despite the identical model number, it is PCIe 3.0 vs the PCIe 4.0 x2 internal drive.

PCIe Gen3 x4 throughput is nearly equivalent to PCIe Gen4 x2. The article specifically mentions getting a CH SN530 model (I'm not sure what the CH means) but I do know the Xbox Series X/S SN530 M.2 2230 SSD has a custom ASIC that enables PCIe 4.0 (more specifically PCIe Gen4 x2).

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it can, even the 360 could use standard laptop drives once you fit them in that god awful enclosure.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
PCIe Gen3 x4 throughput is nearly equivalent to PCIe Gen4 x2. The article specifically mentions getting a CH SN530 model (I'm not sure what the CH means) but I do know the Xbox Series X/S SN530 M.2 2230 SSD has a custom ASIC that enables PCIe 4.0 (more specifically PCIe Gen4 x2).

The xbox only supports 2 lanes, a 3.0 x4 drive would have its speeds cut in half, it is not equivalent in this case.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
The hard drive cost is what keeps me from getting a series s (as I have gamepass on PC). I just don't feel like there's enough space on that thing - especially later in the generation. Paying $200 for an upgrade feels like a trap. If people can get off the shelf gen3 drives working I'd seriously consider it.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
The hard drive cost is what keeps me from getting a series s (as I have gamepass on PC). I just don't feel like there's enough space on that thing - especially later in the generation. Paying $200 for an upgrade feels like a trap. If people can get off the shelf gen3 drives working I'd seriously consider it.
No Gen3 drive would work. You explicitly need gen4 x 2.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The way it's protruding out of the back looks janky af, and high chance of breakage every time you clean dust.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
seems obvious someone could make a m.2 to w/e that port is adaptor with proper heatsink. that being said once you add in the price of the drivre I doubt it will be cheaper, and its way easer to instal the a m.2 drive on the ps5.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
People need to read the article. Only an M.2 drive extracted from inside a series console works. Other M.2 drives don't work which indicate a unique firmware of some sort.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This is great news. Once there's a couple different brands and they've been tested a bunch I'll definitely consider grabbing one but not before then, cause I wouldn't want to short something because of a bad adaptor.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
People need to read the article. Only an M.2 drive extracted from inside a series console works. Other M.2 drives don't work which indicate a unique firmware of some sort.
I don't think there's anything unique about the SSD's firmware. It's quite likely that drives at merely whitelisted at an OS level. MS have already said that there will be other SSD expansion solutions in the future apart from the current Seagate offering, including different form factors. I expect that will open up the available options using adapters such as that described in the article.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This reminds me a lot of the old 360 HDDs. I remember someone found the same method and you could easily make your own HDDs instead of buying the upcharged ones (Back when they didn't have external HDD support).

While this isn't as open as that it does definitely keep the door open for more Xbox SSD suppliers which MS was saying would happen.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
The xbox only supports 2 lanes, a 3.0 x4 drive would have its speeds cut in half, it is not equivalent in this case.
This reminds me a lot of the old 360 HDDs. I remember someone found the same method and you could easily make your own HDDs instead of buying the upcharged ones (Back when they didn't have external HDD support).

While this isn't as open as that it does definitely keep the door open for more Xbox SSD suppliers which MS was saying would happen.

I may be mis-remembering (or maybe it got easier down the line, it's probably this) - but with x360 hard drive replacement IIRC a) it had to be one of a few Western Digital models only, and b) you had to do some DOS firmware flashing?/hackery to get some encryption keyfile from an original drive in to the correct sectors on the replacement.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I may be mis-remembering (or maybe it got easier down the line, it's probably this) - but with x360 hard drive replacement IIRC a) it had to be one of a few Western Digital models only, and b) you had to do some DOS firmware flashing?/hackery to get some encryption keyfile from an original drive in to the correct sectors on the replacement.

I recall it got simplified later on or at the very least wasn't much of a hassle. Since I remember a lot of people started offering bigger HDDs for a cheaper price than MS originally pretty quick.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't too bad after a while. You just downloaded a thing and clicked a button to flash the drive, then put the drive in the 3rd party enclosure.