• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Since plug and play kits (USB-C) are sold out everywhere, are eneloops the way to go?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The Eneloop fanatics are so goddamn annoying. Congratulations, you're championing a brand that offers comparable performance (and actually slightly inferior) to several others at a higher cost. Hooray for you. Era's absurd love for Eneloops is completely beyond me. Do you people not realize Laddas give you the exact same performance at less than half the price or something?

"...but what are Ladda batteries?"

Oh, they're just rebranded Eneloops that you buy from Ikea.

Amazonloops, Fujiloops, Laddaloops, Eneloops etc etc are all basically the same thing.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Since plug and play kits (USB-C) are sold out everywhere, are eneloops the way to go?
almost 100% positive that you can just use the Xbox One charge and play kit if you've got your own USB C cord laying around but you might wanna verify this online

at which point it becomes a question of whether you prefer the convenience of being able to charge by plugging in a cord, or the efficiency of being able to swap out your drained batteries instantly with fully-charged higher-capacity batteries than what comes in the charge and play kit

Green

Oct 27, 2017

Amazon Basics are very comparable and like half the cost (unless you're like a super picky electrical engineer). If you're in the US, Amazon has a charger + 4 AA pack for like $15 or something last I checked.

Oct 27, 2017
Found the vaper.

I agree LOL

Indeed, but I haven't chimneyed up any consoles lately.

Amazon Basics are very comparable and like half the cost (unless you're like a super picky electrical engineer). If you're in the US, Amazon has a charger + 4 AA pack for like $15 or something last I checked.

That's actually about the same price as a 4 pack of eneloops with a charger. They're all basically the same manufacturing methods and chemistry but there is some variance in quality control so I went with eneloops when I was shopping recently.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Eneloop fanatics are so goddamn annoying. Congratulations, you're championing a brand that offers comparable performance (and actually slightly inferior) to several others at a higher cost. Hooray for you. Era's absurd love for Eneloops is completely beyond me. Do you people not realize Laddas give you the exact same performance at less than half the price or something?
I'm not sure of the current state of low-self-discharge NiMH batteries, but from what I recall Panasonic's "Eneloop" brand was the first on the market and made all the in-roads with the gamer population, and then Ray-O-Vac made their own version of the LSD NiMH which was about equal to Panasonic's batteries, and then Duracell started selling LSD NiMHs, and people figured out that Duracell's batteries were literally just rebranded Panasonic Eneloop. Panasonic was literally making Eneloop batteries for Duracell, who was selling them as Duracell batteries. Ray-O-Vac was also selling their batteries to other manufacturers.

And then, as I recall, the IKEA Ladda batteries were also literally just rebranded Panasonic Eneloops. I don't know if IKEA Ladda batteries are still Panasonic Eneloop, or if they switched to Ray-O-Vac as their provider, or if they're working with someone else entirely, but I'm pretty sure that contributed to people just calling everything Eneloop.

My Eneloops are all IKEA Ladda. They're the cheapest. Although I suspect that Costco could beat IKEA in this area if they tried. Kirkland brand Eneloops. That'd be nice.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
almost 100% positive that you can just use the Xbox One charge and play kit if you've got your own USB C cord laying around but you might wanna verify this online

at which point it becomes a question of whether you prefer the convenience of being able to charge by plugging in a cord, or the efficiency of being able to swap out your drained batteries instantly with fully-charged higher-capacity batteries than what comes in the charge and play kit
That's interesting to know and a good thing to keep in mind, will browse around. Thank you!
Huh, very interesting. The way I'd heard them discussed I'd thought them like the second coming of christ for rechargeables. Will have a nose at what the basics options are like here (UK). Thank you!

Green

Oct 27, 2017
That's interesting to know and a good thing to keep in mind, will browse around. Thank you!

Huh, very interesting. The way I'd heard them discussed I'd thought them like the second coming of christ for rechargeables. Will have a nose at what the basics options are like here (UK). Thank you!

You bet!

One thing that may help with choosing is the mAh value of these cells. Go for higher (something ~2500) but make sure the stat is actually real and not some lie from a sketchy Amazon seller.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You bet!

One thing that may help with choosing is the mAh value of these cells. Go for higher (something ~2500) but make sure the stat is actually real and not some lie from a sketchy Amazon seller.
Brill. That's useful to have in mind to look out for, appreciate that, thanks again!

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is: why can't I charge rechargable batteries INSIDE the controller? Basically a combo of being abled to swap the batteries out OR use it like any other controller?

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
So all I have to do is plug in my controller after every play session? Wow that's super convenient. I just put my Xbox controller down and walk away but maybe you're right and getting to plug in a cable every time is just better. /s

Oh yeah the pain of walking 4-5 steps with a controller that is already in your hands and plugging it on the console. Such an inconvenience!

Oct 27, 2017
you can use any usb power source such as a phone charging brick. I have outlets by my couch that are more accessible to me than running a wire to the console.

are the eneloops worth the price? I feel I only get 5-7 hours of playtime from my energizer rechargables

Having to plug the controller in at all is less convenient than just swapping batteries. Eneloops, and their cheaper but equivalent Amazon Basics counterparts, are very cost efficient. I have some in rotation from 2014 and they still work great. I've purchased 4 AAs with a charger for as little as $15 on Amazon

An alternative would be eneloops; simply swap the eneloops and stick the others in the charger. Which is what I do exclusively for my controllers, it saves a lot of clutter for devkits which already have many cords of their own.

Which is frankly what frustrates me about these discussions, people somehow thinking that a fixed internal battery would somehow be a quality of life improvement where for me it would do the exact opposite and just make desk space worse. I don't need people deciding that for me.

Yeah this is exactly what I am advocating. I was replying to someone suggesting plugging the controller in to something other than the console. Plugging in the controller at all is less convenient than swapping batteries.

The best solution is like what Microsoft and 8bitdo have done. Offer a rechargeable battery pack that is user replaceable, and let people use AAs if we want. I don't want to throw out a controller after 5 years of heavy use because the internal battery is shot. Nor do I want to risk ordering a knock off from Amazon or eBay.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is: why can't I charge rechargable batteries INSIDE the controller? Basically a combo of being abled to swap the batteries out OR use it like any other controller?

That's a good question. I've always wondered the same. My hunch is that there's some slightly more complex stuff going on across AA chargers that introduces some health/safety risk if Microsoft enabled/recommended using the controller as a charger (especially if people just put regular AAs in). But I'm also not an electrical engineer.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
May AAs never go away.

Don't forget about IKEA LADDA!

This. Don't sleep on LADDA. Better bang-for-buck than Eneloops. Some even speculate that they're rebadged Eneloops, but I doubt that.

I guess cell phones aren't wireless either.

A cell phone can last several days to several weeks on a single charge. A PS4 controller would last maybe 6 hours tops for me. When I had a PS4, I left the controller permanently plugged in, otherwise it would often be out of charge when I needed it because you really had to micromanage the thing.

AA batteries in 2021 is wild.

AA is still the most widely adopted consumer battery form factor we have. Your TV remote likely uses these, so why not a console controller?

NiMH AA batteries charge slower than your typical Li-ion, so it's going to be more tedious than a built-in battery. And it would add cost to the controller. Play-and-charge is functionally a much better alternative.

EDIT: oh yeah, and the safety concerns due to chemistry mixups.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AA batteries were originally just disposable Alkaline batteries, and then they made "rechargable AA" batteries, which were NiCd (nickel cadmium). After a while they made a new type of rechargable battery which had more power, NiMH (nickel metal hydride). There were a lot of warnings about how rechargable NiCd and rechargable NiMH were not compatible, and you shouldn't mix up their chargers, or the batteries might explode.

Then they made low-self-discharge NiMH (because both previous types of rechargable would drain themselves whether you used them or not), and they're really good, and they work with basic NiMH chargers, but you should really use a smart charger with them.

And now apparently we've got things like rechargeable Alkaline. Do you know what happens if you try to charge an old-fashioned non-rechargable disposable Alkaline? It blows up.

Microsoft doesn't want to deal with any of these format issues. The Xbox controller will accept anything in a AA form factor, because that's easy. Making sure that it's charged properly is your responsibility, because Microsoft has pretty much no way of knowing what your battery is made of.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Yeah this is exactly what I am advocating. I was replying to someone suggesting plugging the controller in to something other than the console. Plugging in the controller at all is less convenient than swapping batteries.

No it is not. My Elite Series 2 controller is far more convenient that mucking around with a battery charger and regularly swapping batteries the way I had to for the first two years of owning the X1X.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Oh yeah the pain of walking 4-5 steps with a controller that is already in your hands and plugging it on the console. Such an inconvenience!

You don't even have to do that. I literally reach my arm out and put the Elite Series 2 down on its charger.

And the internal battery on the Elite Series 2 lasts four times as long as the standard controller used to before needing a battery swap.

SickBoy

Oct 25, 2017
This. Don't sleep on LADDA. Better bang-for-buck than Eneloops. Some even speculate that they're rebadged Eneloops, but I doubt that.

From what I've read from the battery fanatic types on the web, there's only one factory that produces low-self-discharge NiMH batteries in Japan:

wavreport.com

Review: IKEA Rechargeable Batteries

UPDATE: This article has been updated to include a second test performed by Jason Porter on Sept 18th, 2017. The additional test has been added to the bottom of this post. A year ago IKEA came out …

Are the Ikea Ladda batteries just as good as Eneloops?

My Eneloop batteries are getting old and I was planning on buying the Eneloop kits from Costco but for some reason they discontinued them. I found the IKEA Ladda batteries and they are supposed to be about the same MAH rating. Are they just as good as Eneloops? I figured I would try them out...

IKEA LADDA: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Expert news, reviews and videos of the latest digital cameras, lenses, accessories, and phones. Get answers to your questions in our photography forums.

Not info I have on hand usually, but I was just doing a bit of research the other day because my local Ikea was out and I was trying to decide whether to pay for shipping, buy AmazonBasics (apparently a bit of a crapshoot as to whether you get Chinese/Japanese-produced batteries these days) or actual Eneloops.

In the end I went with the Laddas, because they were still quite a bit cheaper, with shipping, than the Eneloops and I know what to expect from them. All in all, I'm just happy that there are plenty of good options these days. I am old enough to have experienced the fun of NiCad rechargeables and the more memory/self-drain-prone NiMH batteries of yesteryear.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The only issue I've ever had with Microsoft's solution, is that I think all controllers should include the play and charge kit (or they should be cheaper).

Beyond that, I've always preferred the flexibility over being forced to watch a controller slowly get worse over the years,and being able to swap batteries instead of entire controllers or plugging them in.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
That's a good question. I've always wondered the same. My hunch is that there's some slightly more complex stuff going on across AA chargers that introduces some health/safety risk if Microsoft enabled/recommended using the controller as a charger (especially if people just put regular AAs in). But I'm also not an electrical engineer.
It wouldn't be safe to do so. You can't really detect what a AA battery is or what kind of chemical makeup it has (NiCad, NIMH, etc) or if its even rechargeable, voltage alone wouldn't cut it, so using the same pins that powers the device to charge it would be an engineering nightmare, if it's even possible without making it a hazard (attempting to recharge an alkaline battery is dangerous!).

That's why the Xbox battery packs have the 4 pins on the single side* rather than using the AA terminals as the two extra pins supply extra info about the state of the li-po cell, thus allowing the controller to charge that safely.

*These pins:
d75e3ab64c.jpg

Last edited:

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
I don't care why or how, but just that Xbox keeps doing it.

I'm still using the same two pairs of rechargable batteries I bought 7 years ago for $15. Meanwhile my ps3 controller has been a wired only controller for years.

Oct 27, 2017
No it is not. My Elite Series 2 controller is far more convenient that mucking around with a battery charger and regularly swapping batteries the way I had to for the first two years of owning the X1X.

Ah we're really splitting hairs here. What is convenient for you is inconvenient for me, and vice versa. What we can all agree on is the fact that replacing something like the DualShock 4's internal rechargeable battery is a lot less convenient than buying a new set of Eneloops when yours burn out.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I can see both sides of this. There is a convenience of never having to swap out anything. That convenience improves if you get a nice dock.
But for me, I hate when I am about to play and find out my controller is almost dead and I have to plug it in. I am so picky about it that I might just decide to do something else. I use rechargeable and there are always extra ready to go.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
The only issue I've ever had with Microsoft's solution, is that I think all controllers should include the play and charge kit (or they should be cheaper).

Beyond that, I've always preferred the flexibility over being forced to watch a controller slowly get worse over the years,and being able to swap batteries instead of entire controllers or plugging them in.
At least in Canada the Series X controller is $15 cheaper than the Dual sense.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, this thread is illuminating me... am I throwing my money away on Eneloops? Can I get equivalent quality batteries for a lower price?

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I see what you mean and it does make sense... it's just weird how loyal some people seem to be to the Eneloop brand specifically considering there's slightly better stuff on offer for significantly less asking price.
If you are referring to Ladda vs Eneloop, from I can tell the big difference is the Laddas are rated to last a significantly shorter period than the regular Eneloops. I have Eneloops that I have been using (and charging) for more than 10 years, while Ikea themselves only rates Ladda AAs as 500 charges and approximately 5 years. That is similar life expectancy as the Eneloop Pro AAs, which I can attest do die much quicker than the regular Eneloop AA batteries.

To me, that would justify the price difference.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Rechargeables >>>>> internal.

if my choice is EVER only "stop playing" or "plug in" or "have multiple expensive controllers at the ready" — that's an absolute fail on the part of the platform.

Edit: now that I think about it, happened this weekend. DualSense died playing GoW. I switched to Xbox because I only have one DS and never left Xbox platform for the weekend. That's a PS fail. They let me leave.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not sure of the current state of low-self-discharge NiMH batteries, but from what I recall Panasonic's "Eneloop" brand was the first on the market and made all the in-roads with the gamer population
One correction here. Eneloops were developed by Sanyo and Panasonic acquired it from them. I know I have Sanyo Eneloops (and charger) as well as the more recent Panasonic brand.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
If you are referring to Ladda vs Eneloop, from I can tell the big difference is the Laddas are rated to last a significantly shorter period than the regular Eneloops. I have Eneloops that I have been using (and charging) for more than 10 years, while Ikea themselves only rates Ladda AAs as 500 charges and approximately 5 years. That is similar life expectancy as the Eneloop Pro AAs, which I can attest do die much quicker than the regular Eneloop AA batteries.

To me, that would justify the price difference.
Considering the increased capacity on the Pros and the Laddas, it seems it's a bit of a toss up, imo.

Also, and this may be a regional thing, but I can buy 20 Laddas for the same cost of 4 regular Eneloops. Eneloops would have to last 5 times more to justify even considering them.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the increased capacity on the Pros and the Laddas, it seems it's a bit of a toss up, imo.

Also, and this may be a regional thing, but I can buy 20 Laddas for the same cost of 4 regular Eneloops. Eneloops would have to last 5 times more to justify even considering them.

The Pro has never made sense to me with Eneloops. The standard is 2000 mAh with 2100 recharges while the pro is 2550 mAh and only 500 recharges. The increase in capacity isn't nearly as significant as the decrease in the number of charges. On top of that, you pay significantly more for the pro over the standard. It's like $13 for 4, or $18 for 8 from Panasonic while the Pro is like $18 for a pack of 4, or $32 for a pack of 8 from Panasonic. Sure they last a bit longer, but the overall amount of usage is significantly less for more money. Now even factoring in the Laddas in at $7 for 4, the standard from Panasonic will last you way longer and give you better bang for the buck over the Laddas too. So aren't the standard Panasonic Eneloops a better deal than the Laddas in the US?

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017

I didn't find the Pros lasted that much longer than the regular Eneloops, but I'm still using my regular Eneloops years later so I wouldn't bother with the extra capacity. They are designed for higher draw devices like camera flashes.

Regional pricing could be in play then, because a 4 pack of Laddas is $10 here (Canada) and an 8 pack of Eneloops is around $35.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I wouldn't mind a 'play and charge' kit included with the controller, but I've had no issues with 4 Eneloops; just swap in the charged ones when the controller gets low. It's quick and easy for me. The batteries last a long time too.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
At least in Canada the Series X controller is $15 cheaper than the Dual sense.

Yes, but the DS also has more technology in it (not to mention the new R&D costs). Last gen when they were more broadly similar tech-wise, there was no difference in price.

I don't mind Microsoft refining their already-great controller instead of reinventing the wheel, and I like that they give you choice with batteries - but offering that choice also "happens to be" cheaper for Microsoft too, and it's not like they were charging less money commensurate with that lack of a built-in rechargeable lithium battery.

Including a Play & Charge pack in the box would eliminate that complaint, while still offering the choice - but it would eat slightly into the no-doubt gigantic margins they make on those controllers.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
People acting like its not an annoyance to have to plug in their controller assume everyone sits a couple feet from their console. They also assume people dont have pets, kids ect who would walk in front of and knock out the wire or pull down the console. It's a pain in the ass compared to just swapping the battery, I don't want a wire dangling from my hands, I dont need to buy an extra long cable so it can reach my couch, I don't want to have to have a wire moving around when Im using motion controls.

Honestly if we're going to charge the controllers and have to have them plugged in to play when they die why even bother with the battery. Let's just go back to wired controllers because having an internal battery means you'll have to play wired sometimes anyway.

There's absolutely nothing about using a cable to charge the controller that makes it easier than swapping a battery. There's also not an advantage to having a play and charge kit, theyre available go get one, it still is a more expensive solution even if included (assuming you'll be replacing that pack again). AAs are cheaper, faster and easier to deal with and you can get amazon basic rechargeable ones for very cheap.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018

yup you can. I am using my old XBox one battery with new USB C cable and it works just fine

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I don't care why or how, but just that Xbox keeps doing it.

I'm still using the same two pairs of rechargable batteries I bought 7 years ago for $15. Meanwhile my ps3 controller has been a wired only controller for years.

I bought my Eneloops about 7-8 years ago as well, still work like a charm.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get why Xbox controllers didn't at least come with a rechargeable battery and charger. Also that Duracell Xbox commercial always made me smirk, "the battery to power your next gen controller" or something.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
I didn't get why Xbox controllers didn't at least come with a rechargeable battery and charger. Also that Duracell Xbox commercial always made me smirk, "the battery to power your next gen controller" or something.

This would be a great addition. Keep the replaceable batteries but include their play and charge kit with the console.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Good, it's much cheaper to buy a new play and charge kit when the battery dies than buy another controller.
Thats true, but i do think that basically all controllers have a battery thats changeable :) Its some more hassle to change batteries in controllers like the PS5 and Switch of course, but at least its possible to change it, and one doesnt necessarily have to buy another controller :)

Last edited:

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Sorry for the random bump, but any recommendation for a charger to use with the Eneloops?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the random bump, but any recommendation for a charger to use with the Eneloops?
The simple white one (used to be Sanyo, now Panasonic) that comes included in a pack of AAA + AA batteries is good enough. I have two of those and they've been working for a decade without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.