• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
The cradle is nice, but plugging in the USB-C cord directly is a very tiny step down.

That is what I do with my Switch Pro controller.
It's an unnecessary step that I don't have to deal with with the default Xbox controller. I prefer not having these little extra inconveniences in my life. To each their own.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I never have my Elite Series 2 controller connected to a cable while playing.
The cradle is nice, but plugging in the USB-C cord directly is a very tiny step down.

That is what I do with my Switch Pro controller.
ok. Nice that you like it that way. You can buy the charge and play kit too then. The much cheaper option. And it's replaceable!!! I don't know why I would want to permanently charge my controllers though. Replacing and recharge the batteries every now and than is still what I prefer.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
You have to plug in a charger, and charge batteries, and swap batteries, which is a lot more effort than simply resting my Elite Series 2 controller on its cradle.

Please.

I plugged my charger in one time: when I opened the package. It's never left its spot.
I don't have to charge batteries, the charger does that for me, where there are always 4 fully charged at the ready, with 2 in a controller. I can also use these for my Oculus controllers, and any number of other electronic device going back to the '50s that may be in my house.
Swap batteries: I can do this in less than 10 seconds. The rechargeable AAs last so long you do this so rarely the inconvenience factor is comparable to plugging in a controller or setting it on a cradle after each session.

Not to mention: I can CHOOSE to get a battery pack if I want to have the same experience you're describing.

Your argument against convenience amounts to nothing in reality.

And there's no scenario that exists where if I forget, I'm having to use a cable/cradle in order to play.

Going with an internal battery for the Elite 2 is a regression from the Elite 1. I have both of them.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Only if a) they use non-rechargeable AA batteries and b) they don't recycle them. My region specifically collects batteries twice a year for recycling so I can't say I've thrown out a battery in at least 15 years.

That's great, but you don't represent every Xbox controller owner, especially since MS makes you buy rechargeable batteries separately. If people are given the opportunity to be wasteful for the sake of convenience, some (in this case likely milions) are going to be wasteful. Built-in batteries don't eliminate that waste, but it does reduce it significantly.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
i like when people post this 8bitdo controller as some kind of revelation when xbox controllers have offered this solution for literally 15 years.

friendly reminder that if you argue against a battery that's easily user replaceable you're literally going to bat for screws, the shape of the battery, and even more planned obsolescence.

My point is that the 8bitdo includes that battery pack, but still allows you to remove it. That's how they should sell Xbox controllers, imo.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Well then there's good news: you never had to use AAs at any point. It was always a choice. Your choice. You always had other options for batteries.

Also this report seems fictitious, Microsoft is denying it and also reiterates that which batteries you use have always been your choice as well: https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2021-...x-controllers-because-of-a-deal-with-duracell

I've tried the charge-and-play kits from Microsoft as well as third party ones previously for my Xbox 360/Xbox One controllers. They stopped working in about a year in both cases. I still prefer a good internal battery than fiddling with AAs because the rechargeable solutions for Xbox Controllers tend to suck.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried the charge-and-play kits from Microsoft as well as third party ones previously for my Xbox 360/Xbox One controllers. They stopped working in about a year in both cases. I still prefer a good internal battery than fiddling with AAs because the rechargeable solutions for Xbox Controllers tend to suck.
are you suggesting that batteries are somehow better quality if they're "internal"?

the irony here is that when those internal batteries stop holding a charge, there will eventually be no way to get good oem replacements, while something made to hold AA batteries (whether you use AAs or not) is inherently more future proof.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
D-do you know there exists rechargeable AAs? It's surprising, isn't it.

Just charge it after every use!
Just get a long cable!
Just get a charging dock for each controller variant!
Just buy new controllers and and pretend the dead ones!
Just disassemble the controllers and replace with a new proprietary battery that may or may not be available in the future!
Planned obsolescence is less wasteful than open standards!

Makes me shake my damn dead every time.

And those people are just as bad as the ones here that think proprietary internal controller batteries are somehow less wasteful than rechargeable AAs. That's why options are fun.

Someone says: "Use rechargeable AAs"
People like you respond: "No one uses rechargeable AAs"
I'm saying: "Well, they should use rechargeable AAs, that's the point I'm making"

We're not really disagreeing here to be honest.

Again: Every advantage of proprietary internal controller batteries is also an advantage of rechargeable AAs. Except that you can replace them whenever you want in seconds, don't ever have to plug it the controllers or put it on a dock (that only works for one variant), and can use the batteries for plenty of other things around the house if needed.

I don't follow on your first point so I left it out. If you want to elaborate I'm interested, though. Not saying I disagree with you.
I agree with everything you said here. A controller with rechargeable AAs costs a little more up front (assuming you need to buy the $18 Eneloop starter kit), but it is much more versatile and convenient, as well as less wasteful in the long term. People are defending what they own/prefer rather than objectively weighing the benefits of removable battery solutions, which is literally always the case with these battery debate threads.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with everything you said here. A controller with rechargeable AAs costs a little more up front (assuming you need to buy the $18 Eneloop starter kit), but it is much more versatile and convenient, as well as less wasteful in the long term. People are defending what they own/prefer rather than objectively weighing the benefits of removable battery solutions, which is literally always the case with these battery debate threads.

Mhmm. Take the internal tech of a Dual Sense and put it into and Xbox Elite Controller shell (that has a AA slot), and in my opinion you have the perfect controller.

They'll never do that, though, because people would get one and then stop buying controllers.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
So, based on what I read, the spokesperson is actually saying that they're using AA batteries because customers like the option of using rechargeable or regular AAs, not that Duracell is holding a gun to their head.

The original article seems kinda clickbaity. That, or I'm misreading.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
My only issue is that the total cost of controller + some sort of rechargeable solution is higher than I'd like.

The base controller costs the same as the Switch Pro controller, yet I need to spend an additional $30~ AUD up front on top of that before I have a complete setup (USB-C MS solution is $29.99AUD, Eneloops + Charger is a tad higher). The real cost for somebody on first time investment is >= $120AUD. This is more than the significantly more feature-rich DualSense.

Also, those that are worried about internal batteries failing over time - I suspect other components like the analog stick are more likely to cause issues over internal battery drain for most consumers, no?

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Never got the big deal. I like that I have the option. Would it be better if the play and charge kit came with the system? Absolutely. Other than that it's not a big deal to me

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft having to come out and deny making a good decision with the replacable batteries is funny.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the alternative for charging a controller while playing?
you can use any usb power source such as a phone charging brick. I have outlets by my couch that are more accessible to me than running a wire to the console.

are the eneloops worth the price? I feel I only get 5-7 hours of playtime from my energizer rechargables

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. I love the fact that my Xbox controller uses AA batteries. I wish other controllers did that too.

If it happened because MS and Duracell made a mutually-beneficial deal with each other, then that's a win/win/win in my books.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Honestly I don't care either way. By the time the internal battery on a controller won't hold a charge people will have moved on to the new gen and forgotten about it. Saying that I don't mind AA's for the Xbox because it allows myself and my wife to act as a conduit to the kids being able to use their Xboxes since we control the batteries. For younger kids this isn't an issue since they're usually agreeable but the older kids complain. We just shrug our shoulders and move on.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I don't care either way. By the time the internal battery on a controller won't hold a charge people will have moved on to the new gen and forgotten about it.

Tell that to my busted Move controllers that struggle to hold a charge while Sony try to make me use them for a third generation 🥲

They're so expensive to replace. I wish I could just Chuck some new AAs in those.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
So what's the alternative for charging a controller while playing?
An alternative would be eneloops; simply swap the eneloops and stick the others in the charger. Which is what I do exclusively for my controllers, it saves a lot of clutter for devkits which already have many cords of their own.

Which is frankly what frustrates me about these discussions, people somehow thinking that a fixed internal battery would somehow be a quality of life improvement where for me it would do the exact opposite and just make desk space worse. I don't need people deciding that for me.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
An alternative would be eneloops; simply swap the eneloops and stick the others in the charger. Which is what I do exclusively for my controllers, it saves a lot of clutter for devkits which already have many cords of their own.

Which is frankly what frustrates me about these discussions, people somehow thinking that a fixed internal battery would somehow be a quality of life improvement where for me it would do the exact opposite and just make desk space worse. I don't need people deciding that for me.
This.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
By the time the internal battery on a controller won't hold a charge people will have moved on to the new gen and forgotten about it.

Yeah. It's a good thing with Xbox that I can keep using all the last-gen controllers with the same rechargeable AAs+charger I got 3 generations ago! Open-standards and forward compatibility for the win. Great move on Microsoft's part.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Tell that to my busted Move controllers that struggle to hold a charge while Sony try to make me use them for a third generation 🥲

They're so expensive to replace. I wish I could just Chuck some new AAs in those.
Yeah. It's a good thing with Xbox that I can keep using all the last-gen controllers with the same rechargeable AAs+charger I got 3 generations ago! Open-standards and forward compatibility for the win. Great move on Microsoft's part.

Don't get me wrong I love that they allow AA use especially since they allow last gen controllers. I just don't really see an issue with internal batteries since I have an Elite 2. Then again it's different because I can use this controller back and forth. Still yes I see the issue with internal for people and I don't totally dismiss it.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal

The Eneloop fanatics are so goddamn annoying. Congratulations, you're championing a brand that offers comparable performance (and actually slightly inferior) to several others at a higher cost. Hooray for you. Era's absurd love for Eneloops is completely beyond me. Do you people not realize Laddas give you the exact same performance at less than half the price or something?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I don't care either way. By the time the internal battery on a controller won't hold a charge people will have moved on to the new gen and forgotten about it.

This is a weird take given the fact that the PS Move Controller came out in 2010 during the PS3 era and is still a usable controller today on the PS5 with PSVR. Also, DualShock 4 controllers and Xbox One controllers released in 2013 are also compatible with the PS5 and Series X. Controllers are moving across generations these days which makes the ability to replace a degrading battery even more important. Not to mention these controllers work on PC too.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The Eneloop fanatics are so goddamn annoying. Congratulations, you're championing a brand that offers comparable performance (and actually slightly inferior) to several others at a higher cost. Hooray for you. Era's absurd love for Eneloops is completely beyond me. Do you people not realize Laddas give you the exact same performance at less than half the price or something?

I kinda take 'Eneloops' as a catch all name for 'decent rechargeable batteries' at this point.

Like when people say 'hoover' instead of vacuum cleaner and 'tannoy' instead of public address system.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
People are aware they don't even need batteries in the controller, right? You can just plug it into the wall or something with a mini USB port and it will work just fine.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
are you suggesting that batteries are somehow better quality if they're "internal"?

the irony here is that when those internal batteries stop holding a charge, there will eventually be no way to get good oem replacements, while something made to hold AA batteries (whether you use AAs or not) is inherently more future proof.

I think you're missing my point. The Xbox equivalent to the internal battery, the charge and play style kits that you insert, I've had those stop functioning for me. Meanwhile the internal batteries in My PS4 Controllers, Switch Controllers and Wii U Controllers, were better quality internal batteries compared to the Xbox charge and play equivalent.

I have 4 Xbox One/Series X Controllers and 2 Switch Controllers that use AAs. I'm just tired of constantly playing the game of battery organization and constantly taking batteries in and out of Controllers and having to charge them in the bases. Shit gets annoying. Its just way more convenient to plug my PS4 Controllers in the console and forget about it.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I kinda take 'Eneloops' as a catch all name for 'decent rechargeable batteries' at this point.

Like when people say 'hoover' instead of vacuum cleaner and 'tannoy' instead of public address system.
I see what you mean and it does make sense... it's just weird how loyal some people seem to be to the Eneloop brand specifically considering there's slightly better stuff on offer for significantly less asking price.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
It's fine that you are able to use different battery types, but they really need to include the play and charge kit with the Xbox console you purchase.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine that you are able to use different battery types, but they really need to include the play and charge kit with the Xbox console you purchase.

I could get behind that.

But then you'll get people complaining that's wasteful, too. Like when Apple decided to stop including chargers.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
I could get behind that.

But then you'll get people complaining that's wasteful, too. Like when Apple decided to stop including chargers.
Hmm, what do you mean? I know Microsoft already includes AAs and a cable. Just change the AA batteries to the rechargeable battery pack.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, what do you mean? I know Microsoft already includes AAs and a cable. Just change the AA batteries to the rechargeable battery pack.

There's no cable I've ever seen. Except with the Elite Controllers and Play and Charge kits. I guess the PC Xbox controller packs had one too if I remember? I can't remember!

I like the idea. Feel like Microsoft's deal with Duracell doesn't allow that at the moment, though?

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
There's no cable I've ever seen. Except with the Elite Controllers and Play and Charge kits. I guess the PC Xbox controller packs had one too if I remember? I can't remember!

I like the idea. Feel like Microsoft's deal with Duracell doesn't allow that at the moment, though?
Hmm, really? I could have sworn the Xbox One and One X I purchased had one. Are you in the US? Maybe it is that, or maybe I am wrong.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, really? I could have sworn the Xbox One and One X I purchased had one. Are you in the US? Maybe it is that, or maybe I am wrong.

Canada. We get a poutine in box but that's it.

Edit: You made me dig out my old boxes to double-check. Can't see anything. I did find an expired 14-day Xbox Live Gold code, though.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
Canada. We get a poutine in box but that's it.
I think you are right regardless. I just watched a couple of youtube One X unboxing videos and they didn't have one included. Dang, that is a shame. Maybe just include a pre-charged rechargeable battery pack then if they think everyone has a cable.

Oct 27, 2017
I think they decided on AA batteries and then made a deal with a manufacturer. At the end of the day, replaceable batteries work out to be much more efficient when you have multiple devices that use them. Don't have to worry about a USB port wearing out or forgetting to charge the batteries between sessions.

Personally, I'd actually like it if the 18650 battery was what they used but that's not as common so I get why no one puts it in a mainstream device.

Non-replaceable batteries just make the whole controller a write-off once the batteries start going dead but I still have xbox controllers from a decade ago that still work fine because of this.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I see what you mean and it does make sense... it's just weird how loyal some people seem to be to the Eneloop brand specifically considering there's slightly better stuff on offer for significantly less asking price.

I also think people have come to associate eneloops as rechargeable just like Kleenex and Xerox.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I actually think it's smart, I have rechargeable batteries but what I love is that if anything were to go wrong with them, I could easily reach into my drawer and pull out some AAs, there's no reason why I should stop gaming due to a dead controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.