• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Thought it was a good article for a quick overlook. If you follow PG closely you kinda know. But many offcourse wont.
There was also some confusion in other threads about the 'the only made racing games so far" wich isnt that weird also. But when you usually spin off into a new genre you hire the expertise you need.

In the end. PG has two teams in different buildings in Leamington Spa. One Forza team and one RPG (now known as Fable) team. So no worry. FH is being worked on also. But some veterans on that team moved to Fable tho. And Forza team hired alot of young and new talent wich alot came straight out of school also.

Will Kennedy, a level designer who worked on Grand Theft Auto V and its Online component, is the chief designer of Fable.

Kennedy is joined on the design team by Juan Fernández de Simón, a lead designer for Ninja Theory's Hellblade, and Hunter Wright, who was the lead quest designer for the Borderlands games.

As previously revealed, most of the Batman: Arkham Knight scriptwriting team are working on the new Fable. Senior scriptwriter Kim MacAskill joined the RPG team from Rocksteady in August 2019.

Meanwhile, the new team's narrative director is Martin Lancaster, the lead scriptwriter for Batman: Arkham Knight. Another of Rocksteady's senior scriptwriters, Craig Owens, is now principal scriptwriter at Playground.

In the art department, a pair of Ubisoft veterans helm character and environment art: Adam Olsson was lead environment artist for The Division 2, while Tom Isaksen was a senior character artist for the Ghost Recon series.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Analysis: Who’s working on Fable 4? | VGC

Playground Games will officially reboot the RPG series, with AAA veterans behind the scenes…

edit

7hkm1inohld51.png

Last edited:

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

lol.

Would have been kinda a neat surprise if it was actually unknown but oh well, fun little teaser anyway.

Excited to see what kind of game they come up with.

Oct 30, 2017
For all its faults, The Division 2 does have very strong world and environmental design. So that is a heck of a pick up for Playground.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Oh snap I loved Arkham Knight. Pretty excited for that scriptwriting team to be working on Fable.

Borderlands' quest design though... I dunno. And I say that as a big Borderlands fan.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of Batman AK staff...was not a fan of that games story, but hopefully this has a much more coherent plot.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Turn 10 has their own engine called "Forzatech" which will prob be used as it's a very good engine.

Also, do we know how long it's in development?
At least 2 and a half years. Was in early development back in January 2018.

www.eurogamer.net

Sources: Microsoft plots Fable return

Work is underway on a brand new, big-budget Fable game, Eurogamer can reveal.Fable franchise owner Microsoft has tasked…

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
It's using UE4 based on job ads. Might be upgraded to UE5 of course.

that is the better choice, seems all MS studios are using it and can share knowledge.

At least 2 and a half years. Was in early development back in January 2018.

www.eurogamer.net

Sources: Microsoft plots Fable return

Work is underway on a brand new, big-budget Fable game, Eurogamer can reveal.Fable franchise owner Microsoft has tasked…

hmm nice, game must be well into production, wonder why they didn't showed any in game scene.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have certainly got some very talented people both from their original studio and their new hires. I'm excited I just want to see gameplay. I don't care how short. Give me 30 seconds even!

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure I'm on board with this trend of grabbing talent from a wide variety of sources and expecting them to excel when thrown together. I'm sure all of these devs are individually excellent in their respective fields and have contributed to great projects. But there is so much research that shows how keeping teams together is beneficial to projects. I really feel the main reason great developers end up turning out later works that are less well-received isn't because key members leave, but because key teams get split up. Once a dev has assembled a group that work well together, they should do everything they can to hold onto it and nurture it further. Hell, go all the way and promote whole teams rather than individuals. It's why I question the strategy MS in particular seems to have of headhunting individuals one by one and expecting them to produce the same level of quality as they did with an entirely different team around them.

Edit: I should say that on the plus side, in this case we can see how at least a few devs have joined along with key colleagues, such as in the case of the Rocksteady writers and Ubisoft artists.

Mr.Flufferson

Oct 25, 2017
So considering so many Rocksteady devs being at Playground.. MS does not need to acquire Rocksteady OR... thanks to them, the chances are higher that Rocksteady ends up at Microsoft?

The reason so many rocksteady people are at playground is probably becuase they hired someone there to be the lead narrative designer and some of his friends/colleagues followed him. Don't think it means an acquisition is incoming.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really wonder how far along they are with this game.

Some sort of small vertical slice of gameplay or even just panning your character traveling through the open world would have done wonders to get me excited but given that a new fable was maybe the worst kept secret in gaming they could have literally just showed a splash screen with "Fable by playground games now in development" and it would have garnered the same response from me.

Classybro

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I'm on board with this trend of grabbing talent from a wide variety of sources and expecting them to excel when thrown together. I'm sure all of these devs are individually excellent in their respective fields and have contributed to great projects. But there is so much research that shows how keeping teams together is beneficial to projects. I really feel the main reason great developers end up turning out later works that are less well-received isn't because key members leave, but because key teams get split up. Once a dev has assembled a group that work well together, they should do everything they can to hold onto it and nurture it further. Hell, go all the way and promote whole teams rather than individuals. It's why I question the strategy MS in particular seems to have of headhunting individuals one by one and expecting them to produce the same level of quality as they did with an entirely different team around them.

Edit: I should say that on the plus side, in this case we can see how at least a few devs have joined along with key colleagues, such as in the case of the Rocksteady writers and Ubisoft artists.

They're building a whole new team....

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
The reason so many rocksteady people are at playground is probably becuase they hired someone there to be the lead narrative designer and some of his friends/colleagues followed him. Don't think it means an acquisition is incoming.

Of course that on the basis of this alone, does not constitute a "definite" acquisition of RockSteady, obviously!

It does not hurt the idea either..
(but in the end it will not be a basis if acquiring or not)

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
t's why I question the strategy MS in particular seems to have of headhunting individuals one by one and expecting them to produce the same level of quality as they did with an entirely different team around them.

Is there any evidence of MS specifically headhunting people? Or could this just be people moving to different studios after completing a game or for whatever other reason?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any evidence of MS specifically headhunting people? Or could this just be people moving to different studios after completing a game or for whatever other reason?
That would be my guess too, there are a finite number of UK studios that size, I'd not be surprised to see former Lionhead staff represented in some capacity at any major UK studio that was staffing up.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not big on the original Fable trilogy, so I guess that I'm glad that we'll be getting new takes on the IP. Definitely a weird collection of staff for the game

Oct 28, 2017
They're building a whole new team....
A team can be anything from a few people working in art/ UI/ QA/ whatever all the way up to an entire studio. I'm saying whenever possible new projects, whether within an existing studio or when creating a new one, ought to be structured around previously successful partnerships. Which is why I praised the idea of hiring a bunch of writers who have worked together well in the past rather than, say, 10 writers who all worked on different, successful projects but have never worked together.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
hmm nice, game must be well into production, wonder why they didn't showed any in game scene.
I'd advise caution with expectations on that front. There's a big difference between building a game with an existing team/studio compared to an existing team simply moving to a new project. Hiring in the games industry is notoriously difficult, slow and expensive, which on top of there's time to be accounted for the team really gelling together that usually results in first productions taking more time and often meaning there's room for improvement for subsequent products that simply come from the team knowing each other better. So I would personally not be surprised if we're looking at something a couple of years away and something that is too early to show at the risk of it changing considerably.

That said, obviously it's all really guesswork that anyone from the outside can do. And as it's still an existing studio from some perspectives so some inroads are likely, and sometimes starting small can also help with nailing down the pre-production easier as you're not so worried about finding all the hundreds of people work in the team on a project that isn't necessarily yet ready to scale up to production.

Oct 25, 2017

That's not MS's strategy, it's a common thing in any creative industry, especially in gaming. Playground had to assemble a new team to make this, but they also have a lot of veterans inside the studio itself.

Double Fine also has people that have been in the studio since it's inception, but also have a lot of medium term and new employees. Hell, Naughty Dog itself, thanks to their awful crunch culture has a lot of talent leaving between projects.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
The people from Arkham Knight worked in the previous Batman games or just AK? Asking because AK was the waskest of them all by far in regards of story...

Oct 28, 2017
That's not MS's strategy, it's a common thing in any creative industry, especially in gaming. Playground had to assemble a new team to make this, but they also have a lot of veterans inside the studio itself.

Double Fine also has people that have been in the studio since it's inception, but also have a lot of medium term and new employees. Hell, Naughty Dog itself, thanks to their awful crunch culture has a lot of talent leaving between projects.
Interesting, and fair enough. Emphasising smaller teams, trying to find the best combinations and keeping them together is just a structure I'd like to see more of, especially in this industry.

Classybro

Oct 27, 2017
A team can be anything from a few people working in art/ UI/ QA/ whatever all the way up to an entire studio. I'm saying whenever possible new projects, whether within an existing studio or when creating a new one, ought to be structured around previously successful partnerships. Which is why I praised the idea of hiring a bunch of writers who have worked together well in the past rather than, say, 10 writers who all worked on different, successful projects but have never worked together.

Utterly ridiculous when you spin in up any business venture you are looking for experience in the field and ideally the best in the field the notion that you are going to hire wholesale groups of people instead of developing your own culture to foster new relationships is crazy the real world doesn't work like that. I get the concern though..

Oct 28, 2017
Utterly ridiculous when you spin in up any business venture you are looking for experience in the field and ideally the best in the field the notion that you are going to hire wholesale groups of people instead of developing your own culture to foster new relationships is crazy the real world doesn't work like that. I get the concern though..
Um, I didn't invent the idea. There are loads of studies out there showing the best teams outperform the the rest of the field by a much greater margin than the best individuals outperform their peers, and in fact tech companies have already experimented with allowing applicants to apply as teams, to significant success. Perhaps there *are* perculiarities of the games industry that make this a more challenging concept to introduce but the idea is far from ridiculous.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Like i said alot of the Forza team moved over also.
Looks like Fulton is now Creative director for it also.

Oct 19, 2020
So she worked on Control, Dishonored and Play The Mansion i'm sold. Was death of the outsider good? Still haven't gotten around to it.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait to see what they build

there is so much potential with fable

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Theorry you should post playgrounds monthly hires they announce on twitter here, or I could do that, would I need to post the tweets starting in August? It is usually around 15 people per month but I have no idea on their background.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Theorry you should post playgrounds monthly hires they announce on twitter here, or I could do that, would I need to post the tweets starting in August? It is usually around 15 people per month but I have no idea on their background.
You can sure. Usually people post them in the Xbox studios OT. I see them come by sometimes. Not always because they hiring like crazy.