• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if Bloober Team really is making a Silent Hill game, then it defeats the business plan for a theoretical Japan Studio game. Surely, Sony wouldn't be dumb enough to let Konami greenlight a separate Silent Hill game for other platforms, they'd want IP exclusivity. That and most of Team Siren leaving the company the past year is why I don't think it's Japan Studio.

Wouldnt the rumour make more sense if it was something like Konami was looking at different teams to make a Silent Hill game and ended up going with one? It really is strange to have two games in development by two different teams and both games are not connected.

It feels like the exact kinda thing Konami would do to me. Like when they were making Silent Hill Shattered Memories for Wii and PS2 at the same time they were making Homecoming for PS3 and 360 and it was just a confusing mess.

All along the PR for Homecoming was that it was 'a return to Silent Hill 2' and would be a proper Silent Hill 5 but then it was awful. And Shattered Memories was amazing! What a wild time.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
iu

Director:
Makoto Shibata (Fatal Frame series Director). That's my guess.

This is possibly the best pick if Fatal Frame team still exist.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
So if Konami no longer wants to create the games and are just ok with licencing them (like Disney does), my bigger question is who picked up the MGS and Castlevania IPs.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Would you rather have another middling Homecoming-tier SH but it's multiplatform or a Japan Studio production with that Sony glow-up & Ito/Yamaoka but it's exclusive?

To be fair, Yamaoka worked on (most of) the bad games, too. It's not like him being attached to a project is any sign of it being a good game - it just means it'll have good music.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Prominent Japanese studio, PS5 exclusive? 🤔 What if it's From Software? (One can dream) I recall there was some talk about another exclusive after Déraciné.

As for Bloober making a new entry to a famous franchise... Fatal Frame/Project Zero has also been dormant for a while. It would kinda fit for them due to the lack of combat.

Jun 13, 2020
iu

Director:
Makoto Shibata (Fatal Frame series Director). That's my guess.
This might be it.

I just don't see how Japan Studio would be the one. It wouldn't explain why Toyama has left Sony to make a horror game honestly, and it doesn't seem like Sony has any interest in their Japanese division except for Astrobot and assisting developers like Bluepoint.

Jun 13, 2020
Bloober Team has to be the most boringest team out there. Who the hell would look at The Medium and say "Yup, those people should make a Silent Hill reboot". Stay as far away from it as possible, Bloober.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I mean, it's possible for there to be a great multiplatform Silent Hill, as 2 demonstrated.

Silent Hill 2 demonstrated that almost 20 years ago when Konami was developing in-house with a very talented team.

Unless they show otherwise, Konami doesn't have that and their outsourcing of the series (and the studios they hired) left a hell of a lot to be desired.

They need help- and I don't see why some people are so bitter about even the idea of Sony and/or Japan Studios taking the reigns and helping bring the (effectively dead) series back to prominence.
"More people won't get to play it if it's exclusive!" is something I've been seeing, but as far as we know (nothing beyond 'insider' talk) a new Silent Hill game won't even exist without help from another publisher/developer handling the heavy lifting.

Hey, an awesome third-party assisted multiplat SH would be great. As long as it's good that's all I care about. But who's out there to do it?
The foundation, at least HERE, has been Sony powering this series reboot.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Can someone make a shortlist of "plausible" Japanese studios?

-FromSoft (has done exclusive contract work for Sony in the past, has worked with Japan Studio)
-Platinum (the quintessential "independent" Japanese developer that does odd jobs)
-Japan Studio (the OG rumour, though the director quit and insiders are no longer confident)
-Kojima Productions (independent, has done "exclusive" work with Sony in the past, worked on Silent Hill in the past)
-Tecmo (made Fatal Frame....)

Tango Games (Mikami, Evil Within) is a Microsoft first party studio now so there's no way it's them. Capcom has zero incentive to work on an Konami project for Sony when they have their own massive horror games in the works.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Can someone make a shortlist of "plausible" Japanese studios?

-FromSoft (has done exclusive contract work for Sony in the past, has worked with Japan Studio)
-Platinum (the quintessential "independent" Japanese developer that does odd jobs)
-Japan Studio (the OG rumour, though the director quit and insiders are no longer confident)
-Kojima Productions (independent, has done "exclusive" work with Sony in the past, worked on Silent Hill in the past)
-Tecmo (made Fatal Frame....)

Tango Games (Mikami, Evil Within) is a Microsoft first party studio now so there's no way it's them. Capcom has zero incentive to work on an Konami project for Sony when they have their own massive horror games in the works.

Why can't it be Tango? Does it need to be related to Sony?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Koei Tecmo would be the most likely I feel. They do a lot of outsource work and everyone else already feels rather packed (Playinum already has multiple projects in the wings).

It's definitely not Kojima (Andy said so in Terry) & if PS Studios is involved it's likely in an assistance capacity. Similar to Nioh.

Oni_J

Oct 28, 2017
I hate this kind of news/rumour/leaks, honestly prefer solid official announcements than stuff that could lead to cancellation if the company doesn't want the news to come out at all.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Sony Japan has been rumored to be working on this since mid 2020. Now we know a Japanese developer is working on it.
It's not like people just want Sony to be doing it.

It's because all rumors so far point to it.
Well Sony is being rather generous nowadays and seeing as how they don't own the Silent Hill IP, much like the MLB license, who knows maybe this will remain multiplat?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If it ends up being Sony Japan as the full-on developer and not just assisting. I imagine Konami likely mandated a PC version has to be included as part of the deal (even if it's a later port like Death Stranding). As some of these crossovers don't make much sense if it ends up being full exclusive.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So if Konami no longer wants to create the games and are just ok with licencing them (like Disney does), my bigger question is who picked up the MGS and Castlevania IPs.

They've released a fun Picross for mobile (a bit defaced with ads, but free), Pixel Puzzle Collection.

play.google.com

PIXEL PUZZLE COLLECTION - Apps on Google Play

See your favorite game characters in the form of picture logic puzzles!
apps.apple.com

‎PIXEL PUZZLE COLLECTION

‎[ FREE PUZZLE GAME! ] No in-game purchases or upgrades--this game is entirely free from beginning to end! Solve picture puzzles as if you were filling out a coloring book! Complete puzzles to uncover full-color characters from iconic nostalgia games! Loads of puzzles to play, and tons of col…

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I said in the other thread but I find very amusing that Konami is looking to publish two games in the same franchise after moving away from console gaming in the last years. Maybe are smaller titles, at least I expect the bloober game to be small.

They're still doing PES every year, they did Super Bomberman R and Metal Gear Survive a few years back, Contra Rogue Corps in 2019, and Momotaro Dentetsu just recently (which has been a massive success home side). Not to mention the Castlevania and Contra ports/collections. They still do games. Just not very high profile ones.

Lunatious

Dec 18, 2018
I absolutely agree with everyone throwing in KT as a possibility. They have the horror pedigree with Fatal Frame and much like how they turned to Nioh when Ninja Gaiden wasn't working out, it's a good way to refocus their skills in the genre in a new direction. The Japan Studio connection is also perfectly explained by this.

Really hope Bloober isn't also making a game though, would be a real monkey's paw wish if that's what was necessary for something like "Fatal Frame team makes Silent Hill" to be a reality.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It feels like the exact kinda thing Konami would do to me. Like when they were making Silent Hill Shattered Memories for Wii and PS2 at the same time they were making Homecoming for PS3 and 360 and it was just a confusing mess.

Well, tbf, that was a little different as several companies were doing things like that where they made the 'regular version' for the Wii, and the bigger games for PS3/360. Like Capcom did with Umbrella Chronicles vs RE5, for instance. The Wii was also not HD development, so it was a lot cheaper to do something like that as well as it would be nowadays.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Did someone say it's Kojima Productions? They're probably right. I think it's Kojima Productions. Can't wait to play Silent Hill developed by Kojima Productions. This is the game we've been waiting for from Kojima Productions. Kojima Productions Number 1!

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Did someone say it's Kojima Productions? They're probably right. I think it's Kojima Productions. Can't wait to play Silent Hill developed by Kojima Productions. This is the game we've been waiting for from Kojima Productions. Kojima Productions Number 1!
The source of this rumour has said it's not KojiPro, just a prominent Japanese studio, which could be a number of studios really, as that's not really all that specific. It was rumoured awhile ago KojiPro was working on a VR Silent Hill or had talks about it, but it fell through.