• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 24, 2019
Fuck man, damn I don't want fucking Watch Dogs over AC Vikings. Jeez what a bad call Ubi. Just push Watch Dogs even further back.
Man if legion is at next gen launch what does it mean for AC? I wanted a new AC....

Pretty sure this won't have much of an impact on AC. I think it was Jason Schreier who said that Ubi was planning on releasing 5 games between Sept. 2020 - Mar. 2021 (or some similar time frame, my memory's a little hazy on this).

Assassin's Creed and Far Cry were confirmed to be two of these, and now we know Watch Dogs is for sure a third.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the WDL delay means it's improved a fair bit. Gameplay felt like a step down from WD1.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Does this mean there will be seperate sku's for each gen, I thought they were going for the patch current gen version for the next gen consoles approach to cross gen games at least that was what the ceo was saying.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it that so many people on this forum are foaming at the mouth for new consoles to be delayed. Folks here seem like they actually want that to happen

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping watch dogs doesn't get downgraded a lot like the original. It might be my launch title to buy

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
When next gen is delayed due to the crisis, this board will be an absolute mess. Hell even if its out in limited release, will be a mess with people complaining about a lack of pretty much anything they may be missing at launch.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering when they were going to announce the new release date for Watch Dogs Legion. It just seemed to disappear from the face of the earth after the delay announcement (and that weird BBC interview with Clint Hocking inside virtual London?).

One thing that came up in yesterday's Bombcast that I didn't think of until then: outsourced QA (and possibly even in-house QA) is going to be a major problem for next-gen. PS4 and Xbox One devkits are plentiful now and not really a secret; you could potentially send people home with them to test if needed. But who's going to let a random QA tester have a PS5 or Series X devkit in their home at this stage? That's so much more potential for accidental or malicious exposure than it would be under normal circumstances.

I'm not a game developer or QA tester so I don't know if remote access to devkits is feasible or not.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
If they were already going to release on PS4/X1/PC, why not just release it on those and rerelease the next-gen SKUs when those come out?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I was sad to learn Watch Dogs Legion was delayed for a unknown amount of time, but I'm ok with it now. I plan to pick it up with my next gen ready PC (maybe one year after PS5 launch). I can play it on my current PC for sure, but I want to see where PC's go in response to new game design thanks to fast SSD. Likely Star Citizen, and Path of Exile are there already, but they just recommend SATA speed SSD.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Their big Winter game of 2021 I imagine. Is AC Vikings cross gen too?

What? AC Vikings definitely won't be Winter 2021. It will release Spring 2021 or Fall 2020 for sure.

Cyberpunk 2077 is getting a free next gen upgrade but Ubi is definitely selling next gen SKUs and they haven't announced any free upgrades for current gen SKUs.

I wouldn't be so sure. I suspect they will offer SKUs for next gen and current, but current gen will include the upgrade.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering when they were going to announce the new release date for Watch Dogs Legion. It just seemed to disappear from the face of the earth after the delay announcement (and that weird BBC interview with Clint Hocking inside virtual London?).

One thing that came up in yesterday's Bombcast that I didn't think of until then: outsourced QA (and possibly even in-house QA) is going to be a major problem for next-gen. PS4 and Xbox One devkits are plentiful now and not really a secret; you could potentially send people home with them to test if needed. But who's going to let a random QA tester have a PS5 or Series X devkit in their home at this stage? That's so much more potential for accidental or malicious exposure than it would be under normal circumstances.

I'm not a game developer or QA tester so I don't know if remote access to devkits is feasible or not.

Ubi did the AC Odyssey Stadia test, so if anyone could do remote QA on a equivalent to/remote PS5/XSX I'd guess it's them.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, what's the difference between any other gen launch? Its not like outsourcing didn't exist before PS4, if they had problems in 2013 they would have the same in 2020.

PS4 devkits are plentiful because it has existed for 8 years by now.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what's the difference between any other gen launch? Its not like outsourcing didn't exist before PS4, if they had problems in 2013 they would have the same in 2020.

Jeff was talking about how outsourced QA would presumably happen at an office that could be locked down to prevent hardware from leaving the building. Obviously that's not an option right now. Sending devkits to individual QA testers working from home makes it way more difficult to prevent or control leaks.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
"We are not seeing significant impact to our own timelines"

Hopefully this quiets down all the know to alls predicting every game and the new consoles this year will be delayed.

WD:L has already been delayed, though.

Also, some of the "know to alls" saying lots of things will be delayed have, y'know, sources.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeff was talking about how outsourced QA would presumably happen at an office that could be locked down to prevent hardware from leaving the building. Obviously that's not an option right now. Sending devkits to individual QA testers working from home makes it way more difficult to prevent or control leaks.
This quote is actually aggregating my Times article this week - surprised nobody made a thread about it tbh https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/technology/personaltech/coronavirus-video-game-production.html
Okay, these two things together makes more sense.

I was thinking more of a next gen launch sans the doomsday we're living in, which was kinda dumb from my part lol

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Boy, I'm terrible at reading. I didn't realize Ubisoft had mentioned that Microsoft and Sony had already found ways to allow developers to use next-gen devkits remotely. Not only is it in Schreier's New York Times article AND the VGC article, it's even in the quote in the OP. (Technically they're talking about developers, not QA, but obviously the situation is better than "who knows if remote devkits will work")

May 10, 2019
Reading this about Ubisoft with Legion has my imagination running when I play games like Division or Wildlands/Breakpoint or even AC. With next gen on the horizon and the leap both systems have in their hardware...

giphy.gif

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone summarize what it says? Looks like you need to signup for access.

Never mind, when I found it through Google it didn't ask me to signup.

Basically, annual releases like COD and Madden - as well as gamss from larger developers like Ubisoft - have a good chance of hitting their 2020 targets.

Other studios are struggling to keep up. Two anonymous sources said their studios are cutting content to make release deadlines this Fall. Other studios might decide to delay.

Voice acting and mocap are major challenges. I can see that affecting the timeline for a lot of 2021 games.

Consoles could possibly be delayed if not enough software is ready. Personally, I don't see that happening. I predict a supply-constrained console launch with a reduced number of launch titles.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still think the console launches will be delayed. At least, I hope. Let's not risk lives having people line up - or have a huge scalper problem.

And let those developing for them take their time.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
I'm hoping watch dogs doesn't get downgraded a lot like the original. It might be my launch title to buy
Honestly ever since that Watch Dogs 1 downgrade debacle, Ubisoft has actually been pretty honest and straightforward with their game announcements, they've shown gameplay indicative of the final product pretty consistently since then, far as I've seen

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except he doesn't say that they are willing to delay the game(s)? He just says "adjust" Plenty of wiggle room in his phrasing.

There's no way they are going to miss the holiday sales season just for the sake of a launch across all platforms. If it comes down to it they will launch AC and WDL on PS4/X1 in the holidays, and then have PS5/XSX versions ready to go in the springtime when those systems launch.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
If next gen delayed... then please release current gen version of Watch Dogs Legion this year, don't hold us the ones who wants to play the game ASAP back.

And whoever wants to wait for next gen version would be on their own call.