• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I agree that this thread should be pinned at the game of the game's release so more people know about it. Hopefully the mainstream sites pick up on this story.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Schreier talk about things people are confessing to him. And he wait to have more than one report.
I feel like I've often seen him report things based on what just one dev has said. But also the Kena team is tiny so not like hundreds of devs would report an issue.

It just irritates me I suppose that only bigger devs get the spotlight. Makes one feel like it's only of interest to the media/journos if it gets clicks. That's why it's nice to discuss stuff like this and blast it on era, I guess. At least some people will know that way.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Aren't promises usually written down in a contract? I'd be sure to have that in my contract and wouldn't sign if not and would directly and personally question the sincerity of the promise in the same conversation if they don't want to put it down. Don't know about other countries' legal systems but in my country you could sue them over something like that.

That being said I've been working for five years for a small company without any written contract; it's a purely spoken contract we both agreed on. In case something is disputed either side is fucked. But it's a small contract with little money involved so we both are okay with how things are and it worked now for five years.

however, depending on the volume I'd advise to write everything down. Most contracts I've signed, if not all, has phrases that there are no spoken agreements beyond what is written in the contract so there won't be any dispute over something that was said but wasn't written down. So I make sure double that everything is in there.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Man, I'm way lttp on the shitty dev thing. Guess I'll buy the game used.

oops, wrong thread. Sorry for the bump.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Just wanted to bump this thread to make more people aware of the shitty practices at this company since the game has gained more traction with the new trailer today. Vote with your wallet and support the people that speak out against these terrible practices.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to bump this thread to make more people aware of the shitty practices at this company since the game has gained more traction with the new trailer today. Vote with your wallet and support the people that speak out against these terrible practices.
Same reason for this bump.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry, I didn't mean to indicate the allegations are proven. Just that this forum is generally interested in being aware of allegations against companies.
It's an interesting developing situation for sure.

Having worked in the creative industry I know that in lieu of payment there does tend to be a "I'll do for you if you do for me" bartering of skills and resources and I'm curious if that happened here.

I just think less excited jumping to conclusions should be avoided and the court of public opinion should be decided more carefully.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
It's an interesting developing situation for sure.

Having worked in the creative industry I know that in lieu of payment there does tend to be a "I'll do for you if you do for me" bartering of skills and resources and I'm curious if that happened here.

I just think less excited jumping to conclusions should be avoided and the court of public opinion should be decided more carefully.
Understood. Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree it's not useful to jump to conclusions.

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
I'll just say it is best to keep this in mind when talking about the game. I'm still somewhat excited about the game, but this will definitely somewhat reduce it in terms of my priorities for upcoming game purchases. And to the user that seems to be the lead designer in question, I'm so sorry that this had to happen to you, and I hope that whatever it is that you are doing today is going well. Things might seem tough but you have a bright future ahead with your own talents, I'm sure of it.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Worth bumping since the game releases tomorrow. I don't believe there was any resolution to this and discussion regarding the accusations has almost entirely disappeared.

Doesn't seem like we will get more information either, so I guess read into it yourself and decide if you personally feel the devs deserve your money or if there's other stuff you can play.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Yeah I think its sad that most people forgot about this really.... Well hopefully a few more people will notice now that the game is actually out tomorrow.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Worth bumping since the game releases tomorrow. I don't believe there was any resolution to this and discussion regarding the accusations has almost entirely disappeared.

Doesn't seem like we will get more information either, so I guess read into it yourself and decide if you personally feel the devs deserve your money or if there's other stuff you can play.
This actually slipped my mind, so thanks for the reminder.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I don't believe there was any resolution to this

I don't think we are getting more than this:

Update October 5, 2020: A spokesperson for Ember Labs has reached out with a further response to the accusations against the studio, saying that Ember Labs has records of all invoices being paid and does not owe Popovich further payment for his work on the game, nor did it break any promises to him.

The spokesperson added that Ember Labs "never promised a certain salary" to Popovich and that the salary offered to him with the full-time position was "above market rate."

They also denied Ember Labs promised Popovich equity, noting that at the time Popovich was offered the full-time position at the studio, no one was receiving equity.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Designer accuses Ember Labs of underpayment, unfulfilled promises

Original story October 2, 2020: A former designer working on Kena: Bridge of Spirits has accused Ember Labs of not full…

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
"VGC reports that it has seen email exchanges supporting Popovich's claims of unpaid work and being promised a better-paying role than he was ultimately offered. A second, anonymous source has claimed a similar situation occurred where they worked unpaid overtime on Kena and received promises of a full-time position that were ultimately withdrawn."

Sounds more like a pattern than just a one-off thing.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Glad this was bumped. Its why I'm not buying this game and it makes me side eye those who are hyped for it

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Thanks for the bump. I feel like this gets buried a lot. Wish it was pinned somewhere in the OT.

As always, there are ways to enjoy a game produced under possibly problematic circumstances without directly supporting the developer as much. Second hand is great for this, or waiting for a deep discount/freebie further down the road.

Can't in good conscience support this game especially when the team is so small making it less likely that it is a case of a couple bad actors in a massive corporation.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
The scummy kind abusing goodwill under promises they never intend to keep, just to throw people away when the job is done is so common in smaller operations. Particularly targeting people who are early in their career or fragile in their position.
I've been on the receiving end of that kind of behavior (not there).

You would think as they got more funding and scaled up the operations, better people would join in and correct course... but all in all, if foundations are rotten, there seldom can be something nice growing out of it.

Just be honest, if you can barely pay your own people because of the small budget, don t promise the moon to extract more work out of contractors, stay true to your friggin word.

I hope that, if they manage to make good profit out of their game, they will retroactively give good faith contribution thank you money to the people they neglected or worse, be it on Kena or whatever other games.

Last edited:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
There really is a stink on this game on the heels of its release. It's troubling all around and the fact that people who busted their asses to create a game we're not full paid. Like WTF. Has this company made other games or are they new. Really weird shit surrounding all of this…

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Thanks for the bump. I feel like this gets buried a lot. Wish it was pinned somewhere in the OT.

As always, there are ways to enjoy a game produced under possibly problematic circumstances without directly supporting the developer as much. Second hand is great for this, or waiting for a deep discount/freebie further down the road.

Can't in good conscience support this game especially when the team is so small making it less likely that it is a case of a couple bad actors in a massive corporation.
Kinda hard to buy secondhand when the physical edition is a limited edition with a late release.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I hope that you can recognize that their company spokesperson saying that they "never promised a certain salary" is just technically correct PR bullshit.

They can make as many empty promises as they want as long as they didn't ever say an exact specific amount right?

This whole situation makes me honestly quite furious. They took advantage of people's goodwill and hard work, and then to make it worse just because an empty promise isn't legally binding, they deny any wrongdoing.

Threadmark

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Hi everyone. This is Brandon Popovich (from the article) I've been active member in the ResetEra FF14 FC for awhile now and just wanted to let everyone know that after this series of events in the article. That I have been still recovering. Speaking out took alot of effort. Being told I would be blacklisted by people who knew of my past with Ember really got me scared. But I needed to share it to keep my sanity. Every time I see a picture, or the trailer. Is a reminder of the pain and debt Ember Lab put onto me. They promised me so much, and I sacrificed so much. That when they offered me so little, which they knew wasnt enough to afford supporting my family. I was devastated. I had put it all on the line and my family suffered for it. This is something no one should of gone through. And with the support I have had during this time has helped me moving forward.

But yeah... I just wanted to add a bit to this. Just letting everyone know that I am still recovering from this. I'm still moving forward. And have a bunch of exciting things to share in the future :)

They did about 4 animations. But most of the animations for the game was either done by me or my partner. 2 people at Ember Labs spent less then a half day to give it to us (from what I remember). The unpaid work happened months after this however. And was more me spending weeks compared to the hours they spent on animations they provided. I thought I was going to be paid back. They promised all this would be compensated with a big sign on bonus to pay off the debt I accumulated waiting for them. But at this stage I don't care. Just watch out for these people in the future.

After the story was posted. A few people reached out to me.

Making an edit on the first person to protect their identity. But involves keeping someone in a lower position while promising things....

I spoke to a programmer who helped with their previous iOS game. They used him to develop their game with the promise of bigger employment. And then parted ways after they were done with him.

I spoke to a vfx artist they had on Kena. Where they would crunch and be the researcher for new tech with promises of longer term employment. Only to be ghosted for months at a time in between random requests.

Now I won't be saying their names. Because they have mostly moved on from their experiences. But this feels like it's a common thread of this studio.

Legally they don't owe me anything. I worked for free at times because I cared deeply about the project (even when they promised to pay me back). I helped find it funding nearly directly to their sources because I cared about the team(with promises of a share). They promised me a lot and tugged at my deep feelings for the project. But legally, they were never obligated to do anything they promised because they kept me on as a contractor. They made me feel like part of the team. Substantial enough I have in writing on a contract them calling me a Lead Designer.

And right as they were about to sign. They offered me less then a mid level designer (I work as a senior, at least). Told me that my revenue share will be changed. And a few other weird drastic changes. I was like woh what the.... and then they ghosted me lol. I sent a few emails begging them that I may change if things would be reasonable but I knew I had no legal right to any of the content I made or provided. I was left in debt and in danger. And yeah. Never in my life I have had something like this in my career.

I don't have anything I want from them. They know that I have a lot more to lose. Maybe they didn't expect me speaking up? I really am not a public person. But with support of my friends and family it has always felt like something worth warning people.

And lastly, I feel for the developers currently working on it and wish them the best. The game is probably going to be great. And I'm sure Ember Lab will go off to do more great things. But this was a terrible page of my life and the subsequent time. The decisions they made were terrible and very harmful to me as a person. They ghosted me at the first sign of me being upset at realizing what they lied about. And they, by law, can easily get away with it.

I really rather they not even try to explain it. I know how much money for dev cost they got from the multiple sources. Because I helped them get it. Any explanation will just be awful nonsense one of their many skilled PR people will spit out publicly to say they did nothing wrong.

These people never even reached out to me when I was talking to the journalist. They did say a lot of nice things about me privately to him. But in the end they still really fucked me over. I rather just warn of my situation. As well as let it be known those who reached out to me had a similar experience. Albeit not as extremely messed up as mine.

Since no one ever threadmarked these, I've gathered them all in one spot for people just reading this now.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know about this. Thanks for bringing it to light again.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Thank you for bumping this - I have been raising the issue when there have been threads but few care. Reading all the posts even in this thread from people involved which is collated above really highlights that this was likely a systemic problem with this organisation.

Balmung421

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I just cancelled my order due to this bump. Thank you and I hope more people become aware of this

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I wasn't aware of any of this until today. Thank you to all those who participated in and bumped this thread over the last year. And thank you, darktalon, for compiling all of those dev posts.

Last edited:

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I won't be surprised if we see more horror stories from former employees in the future.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Well that certainly sounds scummy. Sorry Brandon. Ember Labs should do the right thing and not screw over contributors to their big project.

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
Since no one ever threadmarked these, I've gathered them all in one spot for people just reading this now.

Thank you for doing this, I hadn't seen this yet.
This is absolutely awful, but unfortunately these types of stories are nothing new.
At least I now know that I won't be supporting this studio.

If nothing else, may this serve as a lesson for us to not get too attached to our work, and focus on our family and personal life first.

Best wishes to you mavWolf

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Imagine receiving money for exclusivity from both EGS and Sony and still treating like shit your employees.

And ignoring regional pricing in most countries!

Kena went from my most hyped game when it was first announced, to something that I won't pick up even on a sale.

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks) - Hostility towards members & dismissing concerns about workplace abuse
Most likely the guy was let go for other reasons but just wants to drum shit up cause he doesn't get the respect he wants. dude is probably an asshole in real life. Not everyone let go for unknown reasons is a saint.

In all seriousness, As a developer, never do anything for free. Also, you are not entitled to anything you developed working for a company. They own it, you do not. You are not entitled to anything.

This is why we need unions.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Most likely the guy was let go for other reasons but just wants to drum shit up cause he doesn't get the respect he wants. dude is probably an asshole in real life. Not everyone let go for unknown reasons is a saint.
Instead of assuming he's an idiot you can ask him yourself? He's in the forum. Might help rather than doing hot takes.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

In all seriousness, As a developer, never do anything for free. Also, you are not entitled to anything you developed working for a company. They own it, you do not. You are not entitled to anything.

This is why we need unions.

This is kind of uncalled for. Saying about another member on the forum that they are 'an asshole in real life' and 'wants to drum shit up cause he doesn't get the respect he wants', purely speculatively, is really quite horrible. We'll likely never know the full story. It's very much he-said she-said. VGC said they saw documentation and email exchanges alluding to some of the claims, a few others stepped forward, and everyone has to make up their own mind as to the credibility of those claims. But to assume that they are making unfounded accusations, and then doing a weird victim-blamey 'you're fault for working for free dude' (paraphrasing) take is just an awful way to engage. Don't take a side at all if the one you're gonna take is just needlessly accusatory, personal, and hurtful.

Last edited:

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Wage theft is one of the most common forms of theft, and workplace abuse is incredibly prevalent, especially in the gaming industry as we all know. I don't see why it's hard to believe Brandon, especially considering he showed emails to VGC, and Ember Labs, who is the party with the most to lose and gain, has simply put out an rather unconvincing statement.

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
This is kind of uncalled for. Saying about another member on the forum that they are 'an asshole in real life' and 'wants to drum shit up cause he doesn't get the respect he wants', purely speculatively, is really quite horrible. We'll likely never know the full story. It's very much he-said she-said. VGC said they saw documentation and email exchanges alluding to some of the claims, and everyone has to make up their own mind as to the credibility of that. But to assume that they are making unfounded accusations, and then doing a weird victim-blamey 'you're fault for working for free dude' (paraphrasing) take is just an awful way to engage. Don't take a side at all if the one you're gonna take is just needlessly accusatory and hurtful.
You are right, it's a bit harsh. However, the other side is just as harsh. This site hears one side of the story and all of a sudden everyone is "cancel my pre order now!" Mentality. You won't know the full story, and I just gave an example of what it could be. What ever happened to true justice or innocent until proven guilty. You are proving my case but for the other guy with the outrage against what I said. What makes me different?