• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. This hurts to read. I've been extremely excited for this game, but now I feel a little less so.
Sorry this happened to you, mavWolf.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone. This is Brandon Popovich (from the article) I've been active member in the ResetEra FF14 FC for awhile now and just wanted to let everyone know that after this series of events in the article. That I have been still recovering. Speaking out took alot of effort. Being told I would be blacklisted by people who knew of my past with Ember really got me scared. But I needed to share it to keep my sanity. Every time I see a picture, or the trailer. Is a reminder of the pain and debt Ember Lab put onto me. They promised me so much, and I sacrificed so much. That when they offered me so little, which they knew wasnt enough to afford supporting my family. I was devastated. I had put it all on the line and my family suffered for it. This is something no one should of gone through. And with the support I have had during this time has helped me moving forward.

But yeah... I just wanted to add a bit to this. Just letting everyone know that I am still recovering from this. I'm still moving forward. And have a bunch of exciting things to share in the future :)
That's extremely shitty of them man. My heart goes out to you and hopefully something comes out of the story.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hi everyone. This is Brandon Popovich (from the article) I've been active member in the ResetEra FF14 FC for awhile now and just wanted to let everyone know that after this series of events in the article. That I have been still recovering. Speaking out took alot of effort. Being told I would be blacklisted by people who knew of my past with Ember really got me scared. But I needed to share it to keep my sanity. Every time I see a picture, or the trailer. Is a reminder of the pain and debt Ember Lab put onto me. They promised me so much, and I sacrificed so much. That when they offered me so little, which they knew wasnt enough to afford supporting my family. I was devastated. I had put it all on the line and my family suffered for it. This is something no one should of gone through. And with the support I have had during this time has helped me moving forward.

But yeah... I just wanted to add a bit to this. Just letting everyone know that I am still recovering from this. I'm still moving forward. And have a bunch of exciting things to share in the future :)
Hi Brandon, just read the article, I'm really sorry to hear what you went through but glad to hear you're recovering. The article mentions the team crunched for the demo, do you think crunch was a regular practice there?

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
as i am also suffering some financial difficulties myself , i will not support this title or any other titles developed or published by them

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing worse that an employer can do than over-promise or cheat you out of advancement. I hope this gets you recognized by one of the more decent game companies that need a programmer.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Just confirming here that Brandon is who they say they are.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only just seeing this, god damn. Won't bother wasting what little time I have on this game, assuming I ever even get a ps5.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
They use to be animation right sadly stuff like this happen a lot in animation maybe they just use to how that work not a good look hope they can fix this so everyone happy

mavWolf

Sep 5, 2019
After the story was posted. A few people reached out to me.

Making an edit on the first person to protect their identity. But involves keeping someone in a lower position while promising things....

I spoke to a programmer who helped with their previous iOS game. They used him to develop their game with the promise of bigger employment. And then parted ways after they were done with him.

I spoke to a vfx artist they had on Kena. Where they would crunch and be the researcher for new tech with promises of longer term employment. Only to be ghosted for months at a time in between random requests.

Now I won't be saying their names. Because they have mostly moved on from their experiences. But this feels like it's a common thread of this studio.

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
After the story was posted. A few people reached out to me.

I found that they had been using an intern for 9 months (would be 13 months now if they are still employed) with the promise that the intern would be part of a profit share upon release.

I spoke to a programmer who helped with their previous iOS game. They used him to develop their game with the promise of bigger employment. And then parted ways after they were done with him.

I spoke to a vfx artist they had on Kena. Where they would crunch and be the researcher for new tech with promises of longer term employment. Only to be ghosted for months at a time in between random requests.

Now I won't be saying their names. Because they have mostly moved on from their experiences. But this feels like it's a common thread of this studio.
That sounds awful :/
I'm sorry that happened to you and looks like many others. Hopefully this story gains more traction

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
really fucked up stuff. i'm sure it took a lot of courage to come forward with this, but it was the right thing to do.
don't think i could every support a game like that knowing what went on behind the scenes.

mavWolf

Sep 5, 2019
That sounds awful :/
I'm sorry that happened to you and looks like many others. Hopefully this story gains more traction
From what I was told. It looks like Ember Lab PR got ahead of this before it hit the states. Which means they contacted the bigger news networks to discredit or not post this story.
Note that this last part was conjecture by another journalist friend of mine. That they possibly not posted it with promises of returning the favor? I forgot how it was exactly worded to me. But I do admit I don't know the exact details.

Last edited:

mavWolf

Sep 5, 2019
Would tagging jschreier be an uncool thing to do? Seems like something he'd be interested in.
A buddy of his, Andy Robinson, did the journalism on this story. He did an excellent job and made sure to keep me in check and make sure I had proof of my claims. It was through a very hard and turbulent time in my life (and still is currently with the recent passing of my pet of 14 years) and I appreciate his lengths to find truth.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
A buddy of his, Andy Robinson, did the journalism on this story. He did an excellent job and made sure to keep me in check and make sure I had proof of my claims. It was through a very hard and turbulent time in my life (and still is currently with the recent passing of my pet of 14 years) and I appreciate his lengths to find truth.
Fair enough. Well done for speaking up.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
This should be bigger story. I just happen to find this thread. Pay your employees what they are owed Ember, what the fuck!

mavWolf

Sep 5, 2019
This should be bigger story. I just happen to find this thread. Pay your employees what they are owed Ember, what the fuck!
Legally they don't owe me anything. I worked for free at times because I cared deeply about the project (even when they promised to pay me back). I helped find it funding nearly directly to their sources because I cared about the team(with promises of a share). They promised me a lot and tugged at my deep feelings for the project. But legally, they were never obligated to do anything they promised because they kept me on as a contractor. They made me feel like part of the team. Substantial enough I have in writing on a contract them calling me a Lead Designer.

And right as they were about to sign. They offered me less then a mid level designer (I work as a senior, at least). Told me that my revenue share will be changed. And a few other weird drastic changes. I was like woh what the.... and then they ghosted me lol. I sent a few emails begging them that I may change if things would be reasonable but I knew I had no legal right to any of the content I made or provided. I was left in debt and in danger. And yeah. Never in my life I have had something like this in my career.

I don't have anything I want from them. They know that I have a lot more to lose. Maybe they didn't expect me speaking up? I really am not a public person. But with support of my friends and family it has always felt like something worth warning people.

And lastly, I feel for the developers currently working on it and wish them the best. The game is probably going to be great. And I'm sure Ember Lab will go off to do more great things. But this was a terrible page of my life and the subsequent time. The decisions they made were terrible and very harmful to me as a person. They ghosted me at the first sign of me being upset at realizing what they lied about. And they, by law, can easily get away with it.

Last edited:

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Legally they don't owe me anything. I worked for free at times because I cared deeply about the project (even when they promised to pay me back). I helped find it funding nearly directly to their sources because I cared about the team(with promises of a share). They promised me a lot and tugged at my deep feelings for the project. But legally, they were never obligated to do anything they promised because they kept me on as a contractor. They made me feel like part of the team. Substantial enough I have in writing on a contract them calling me a Lead Designer.

And right as they were about to sign. They offered me less then a mid level designer (I work as a senior, at least). Told me that my revenue share will be changed. And a few other weird drastic changes. I was like woh what the.... and then they ghosted me lol. I sent a few emails begging them that I may change if things would be reasonable but I knew I had no legal right to any of the content I made or provided. I was left in debt and in danger. And yeah. Never in my life I have had something like this in my career.

I don't have anything I want from them. They know that I have a lot more to lose. Maybe they didn't expect me speaking up? I really am not a public person. But with support of my friends and family it has always felt like something worth warning people.

And lastly, I feel for the developers currently working on it and wish them the best. The game is probably going to be great. And I'm sure Ember Lab will go off to do more great things. But this was a terrible page of my life and the subsequent time. The decisions they made were terrible and very harmful to me as a person. They ghosted me at the first sign of me being upset at realizing what they lied about. And they, by law, can easily get away with it.
So they broke a gentleman's agreement. That's still ethical reprehensible and this sort of behavior should never go under the radar, if only to stop them from doing same with other people.

I would understand that if all of sudden they were facing grave financial difficulties that they would come you profusely sorry that they will not be able to offer you what was orally agreed up on. But it seems that they did not provide adequate reasons to back out. And it also seems to be a reoccurring theme with them and other contractors.

Even if they don't owe uou and others money (legally), they still owe an adequate explanation, if only to save their reputation amongst prospective employees and consumers.

mavWolf

Sep 5, 2019
I really rather they not even try to explain it. I know how much money for dev cost they got from the multiple sources. Because I helped them get it. Any explanation will just be awful nonsense one of their many skilled PR people will spit out publicly to say they did nothing wrong.

These people never even reached out to me when I was talking to the journalist. They did say a lot of nice things about me privately to him. But in the end they still really fucked me over. I rather just warn of my situation. As well as let it be known those who reached out to me had a similar experience. Albeit not as extremely messed up as mine.

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me for bumping this thread but I think we should all keep in mind what transpired with this game's developer.
I'm thinking that a lot of folks who saw the sizzle reel a few days ago might have forgotten about this incident already.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Forgive me for bumping this thread but I think we should all keep in mind what transpired with this game's developer.
I'm thinking that a lot of folks who saw the sizzle reel a few days ago might have forgotten about this incident already.

I certainly had. What a bunch of shitstains. Hopefully it can be more widely broadcast so people who go to work with them know to demand everything in writing. No gentlemen's agreements.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
This thread should probably be pinned when the game is about to come out. People should know how the studio treats their employees before purchasing said product.

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
This is my first time hearing about this. Even if they were legally in their rights to renege on their gentleman's contract, it's an incredibly shitty thing to do. Completely derailed my excitement for this game.

FaultLineBlues

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2020
Wow, I'm only just hearing about this and I'm shocked. Kena was by far the PS5 game I was most excited for, sad to see this.

Jun 19, 2020
So he was a contractor and they hired someone else because he wanted more money? Its also their first game so the budget is probably tight. You dont need to turn everything into a drama.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
So he was a contractor and they hired someone else because he wanted more money? Its also their first game so the budget is probably tight. You dont need to turn everything into a drama.

I helped find it funding nearly directly to their sources because I cared about the team(with promises of a share). They promised me a lot and tugged at my deep feelings for the project.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't even heard of it! Must've missed the news
for some reason the big site gave very little coverage to this news. based on what the designer said here it seems like the company and whatever pr company is working for them basically silenced everyone on the story and stopped it from getting out there, which is super shitty and scummy, and it's sad how the big sites can be influenced not to report something like this.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
That does sound pretty heartless from the developer. I suppose the key issue is though, that much of what he claims was promised wasn't put into a contract. As such there isn't much he can do legally about it. I don't think it reflects well on the developer, and what he says sounds credible - although personal testimony alone is never sufficient evidence obviously. From what he describes they knew he was hard up, they assured him he would have a job, and delivered him less than what he was promised. That is pretty shitty. I don't think it is that unusual employment practice, however, especially among small businesses and start ups, but it is shitty. I have been part of quite a few projects where in the end I was never paid.

Last edited:

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Wow, I completely missed this thread and article but this has definitely soured my antincipation for Kena by quite a lot.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of horror story we see all the time about working condition in these kind of compagnies make me think, why you still work in that domain ? I mean i know we need money and you probably love what you are doing.... i'm a programmer for like 18 years, got some crunch there and there , like 20-25 more hours each weeks for about a month or 2, it happen for like once a year maximum, but never to the level of nightmare i heard repeatedly. Sure my hype for this game drop a lot after reading that.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
As shitty as it sounds he should get things in writing next time, because as it stands right now is all "he said/they said".

If it's true then Ember Lab should compensate him, even if they're not legally obligated to do so.