• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh-1024x632.jpg

With the release of the Nioh Collection and Complete Editions, does that mean Nioh as a series is also complete?

With Nioh CE and Nioh 2 CE, the story that we had built has come to an end. It's reached a good point in the story where all the loose ends are tied up, so there are no plans for a sequel at this point. Of course, it's something that is still possible in the future and that we will consider at a later date. But players can really enjoy the full story of Nioh with Nioh CE and Nioh 2 CE.

With the whole Nioh series coming to PC and PS5, can we expect a release on Xbox Series X/S too?

[laughs] There are no current plans for the Nioh series to be on Xbox consoles at this point, but of course the Ninja Gaiden series has had a long history on Microsoft's consoles. So if there was to be a new title in the Ninja Gaiden series in the future, we'd definitely like that to be on Xbox consoles.

Having now developed for PS5 already with the Nioh Collection, what aspect of new-gen hardware do you think is going to be the most important for you and the studio?

The controller is a very important aspect for core gamers as that's what you're using so much when you're playing a game on a console. So the DualSense's adaptive triggers and haptic feedback are really interesting and those are going to be some big points moving forward. But the SSD is actually probably the biggest point I'm interested in just because the load times are going to be made so much smaller, which, for example, is going to open up new avenues for open world games being even more accessible to developers.

Is an open world game something Team Ninja wants to do next then?

There's definitely no specific plans to speak of at this time, but Team Ninja as a whole would specifically like to take on the open world genre. But we feel at this point that there haven't really been open world games with a lot of intensity, which are really action-packed from beginning to end. So we'd like to actually take that on as a potential challenge in the future, and try to put a new spin on the open world genre in that regard.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Team Ninja Interview: ‘The Nioh story has come to an end’ | VGC

Nioh director Fumihiko Yasuda reflects on the series’ development and what’s next for the action-packed studio…

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Like I said in the other topic, it's just wild that just when Team Ninja got something new that did very well for them, they're already ready to move on.

Hopefully, it's just for the sake of a successor series that adapts its gameplay, but moves on from William, Amrita, Yokai and the Sengoku shenanigans thereof.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Seems fine. Maybe come back to it in 3-4 years with some fresh ideas or a new focus

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
I really do love Nioh 2 and it is a shame they're moving on but whatever they decide to make next, I'm buying tbh.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shame, would had been interesting seeing a Nioh 3 during the Bakumatsu.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
"With the whole Nioh series coming to PC and PS5, can we expect a release on Xbox Series X/S too?

[laughs] "

I wonder how much Sony's involvement was with this game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
A shame as they are damn good, but it seems they are just not interested more than anything, so better than just half-assing it I guess.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine. Nioh is but a vessel for Team Ninja's talent. I will look forward to new action packed franchises they come up with.

There are several unexplored settings that these companies aren't going for.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'm amazed that people want to go out while on a high point. Its super common these days to keep making sequels just because the franchise is popular. If this were activision they'd likely have little say in the matter.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
At least it got 1 sequel. Unlike another game exclusive to PlayStation 4 that almost everyone loves, it didn't even get a remaster or next-gen patch.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
They most likely have a say on where the game should lanch.

Sony published Nioh 1&2 in the West

Did they pay for the development or something? or are they just publishing it like warner is publishing cyberpunk in the west? for nioh 2, they could easily get a publisher that would grant them xbox version, right?

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Another answer to a question about a sequel from a separate interview: https://www.thegamer.com/team-ninja-interview-fumihiko-yasuda-nioh/

Fumihiko Yasuda: "In terms of a sequel right now, Team Ninja would like to focus on working on new titles, so there really isn't a plan for Nioh 3 at this point. But after creating some new projects and gaining some new experience and skills from those new potential projects, I would like to go back to the series at some point, utilise all the experience and new skills that we gain from some new projects, and then potentially, go back into the series at that point, and create an even greater game to surpass Nioh and Nioh 2 and to create something even better."

Did they pay for the development or something? or are they just publishing it like warner is publishing cyberpunk in the west? for nioh 2, they could easily get a publisher that would grant them xbox version, right?

I posted this here before, but Sony Interactive Entertainment staff takes up about 3.5 minutes of Nioh 2's 7.5 minutes end credits. SIE played a large part in QA testing, worldwide localization and marketing, and other areas.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another answer to a question about a sequel from a separate interview: https://www.thegamer.com/team-ninja-interview-fumihiko-yasuda-nioh/

Fumihiko Yasuda: "In terms of a sequel right now, Team Ninja would like to focus on working on new titles, so there really isn't a plan for Nioh 3 at this point. But after creating some new projects and gaining some new experience and skills from those new potential projects, I would like to go back to the series at some point, utilise all the experience and new skills that we gain from some new projects, and then potentially, go back into the series at that point, and create an even greater game to surpass Nioh and Nioh 2 and to create something even better."
Hmm that is what I thought.

I am fine with this. Taking breaks then returning will help them make an even better game.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They need to make a third one eventually. The potential of this franchise has yet to be fully realized.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I absolutely loved Nioh and even I never bought the sequel after playing the demos. I have two local friends who were also fans of the original and had the same reaction to those demos aka never buying the actual game based on them. Felt way too similar and yet somehow less fun to play at the same time for me.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think it's probably time to move on from it. 1 and 2 were good but 2 was already very iterative of 1. I'd like to see them do something new rather than Nioh 3.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
I already own Nioh 1 and Nioh 2 on PS4. Can someone explain what I'd gain by also buying the PS5 versions coming next month? 4k60? All DLC? (I never bought any DLC for either game.) Anything else?

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Nioh 1 is in my top 10, and Nioh 2 is in my top 20, so I do hope they return to the series eventually. Bring on Ninja Gaiden in the meantime!

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Hayashi's also said that they want to make a new IP for the PS5 like they did with Nioh on the PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
That's good. Loved nioh 1, and was pumped for the sequel.

But it felt too much the same.

Glad they are moving to something new.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Despite loving Souls games, Ninja Gaiden, and Japanese mythology, Nioh just never really clicked for me. Funny because it appealed to literally all of my interests. I think it might have been the looting aspect and large emphasis on menu micromanagement that ruined it. Meant that on later difficulties, beating a boss was more about what you did in the menus prior rather than actually learning their attack patterns and utilising the combat system.

I'll be glad to see them move on tbh.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
This could be great, in that they could do a follow up to Nioh that's not stuck with the same structure and plot restrictions. If they want to do the Bloodborne or Sekiro to Nioh's Dark Souls, we're in for a real treat.

Feb 15, 2019
I already own Nioh 1 and Nioh 2 on PS4. Can someone explain what I'd gain by also buying the PS5 versions coming next month? 4k60? All DLC? (I never bought any DLC for either game.) Anything else?

Nothing except the DLC for you. There's free upgrades for 2 if you own the Ps4 versions. You'd just be wasting money when you could just buy the DLC. Nothing known about a Nioh 1 free upgrade so don't count on it. Also the games are 4k and "up to 120fps" whatever that will end up meaning.

"
  • Players that own Nioh 2 – The Complete Edition on PS4 can upgrade to Nioh 2 Remastered – The Complete Edition on PS5 at no additional cost.
  • Players that own Nioh 2 on PS4 can upgrade to the base game – Nioh 2 Remastered on PS5, and receive the PS5 version of any DLC expansions they own on PS4.
Upgrades for disc copies of PS4 versions are only available if you have a PlayStation 5 console with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive***"

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I would have liked a third game that had better traversal options and an interesting story for a change. Oh well. Really interested what their next game will be.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I have mixed feelings about the no Ninja Gaiden part of this. On one level I want the series to come back. On another, due to how popular and acclaimed Nioh was, my fear around that is they will try to craft a new Ninja Gaiden into the mold of a Souls-like action RPG, and I would not want that at all, since if the franchise returned I'd want a pure action experience. So it's probably for the best that they are going to do their own things instead of trying to revive it in the end.