• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Google's Stadia team cancelled dozens of projects and third-party licensing deals as part of its shift away from video game production in recent months, people with knowledge of its plans told VGC.

The Google cloud gaming division cancelled a multiplayer game led by a former Assassin's Creed creative, a sequel to Journey to the Savage Planet and backed out of proposals for Hideo Kojima (Death Stranding) and Yu Suzuki (Outrun) to create exclusive games for Stadia, the sources said.

More details on the cancelled and rejected projects in the link:

Stadia was working on Savage Planet 2, a multiplayer project and more | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh boy, those announcement threads would have been a bloodbath

this also tells me they're not moving on to chasing third party deals anymore (the pixeljunk deal or any that will soon be revealed were probably inked before all of this), which was something people thought they might do after shutting down first party production.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The Kojima Productions title is understood to have been positioned as an episodic horror game. Sources indicated that the studio was keen to innovate in the cloud gaming space, but the deal was ultimately blocked by Stadia GM Phil Harrison last year.

This is likely the project designer Hideo Kojima was referring to last summer, when he told a Japanese publication he had recently seen a "major" project cancelled. "I'm pretty pissed, but that's the games industry for you," he said.

Damn, how disappointing.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This would explain why Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil Village didn't show up for Stadia.

If Kojima was willing to work with Google for the money, I half expect his next game might end up at EGS if they're willing to be just as generous with funding.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, this would have been entertaining (the announcement thread even more than the games 🤣).

Sadly, Google doesn't want to pull through.A Kojima exclusive would have gotten people to try the platform and after you have tried it, it is difficult just to shit on it because it works rather well.

OP
OP
FelipeMGM

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
This would explain why Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil Village didn't show up for Stadia.

If Kojima was willing to work with Google for the money, I half expect his next game might end up at EGS if they're willing to be just as generous with funding.

Seems to be the ideal partner for them yeah. Good budget, great engine support (if they leave Decima and shift to UE) and most importantly, keep IP rights of whatever they make

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
Wow, it's just shocking how much they failed to take advantage of the opportunities they had for getting into the market so early.

As has been said plenty of times before, the tech is there, just everything else was totally mishandled.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Imagine being the CEO of typhoon studios and securing what looked like a great bag and security in uncertain covid times, get a sequel to your game greenlit and told you are doing a great job and then your shut down.

All in the space of a few months.

Really unprofessional from Google especially on this one tbh

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
You'd think Kojima would know better than to sign a deal for a Stadia exclusive. Thank god though. The thought that the Kojima directed horror game I have always wanted would be completely inaccessible to me would have been devastating.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
wow... feel for these devs also Kojima has always believed in streaming and cloud tech, I really hope he doesn't give up on his dreams of making a cloud based game, also I hope MS atleast was able to meet up with some of these devs and probably jump in on some of these canceled projects and failed third party licensing deals.

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand it sucks, on the other hand Kojima avoided a big failure.

Still sucks it had to go this way. Planning an idea like that only for Google to pull this bullshit is a big waste of time.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the Kojima and Yu Suzuki projects can be salvaged by another publisher.

Streusel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Dec 28, 2017
i'm betting Xbox picked up the Kojima project, episodical would fit gamepass very well

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Stadia deal would bring him tons of easy money, and a platform that has potential for new user experiences.

Still, I think it is a good thing the deal fell through. Stadia has a very slim chance for a bright future.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Kojima Productions title is understood to have been positioned as an episodic horror game. Sources indicated that the studio was keen to innovate in the cloud gaming space, but the deal was ultimately blocked by Stadia GM Phil Harrison last year.

lol, unironically thank you Phil Harrison. I'd be so pissed if there was a Kojima horror game locked behind fucking Stadia.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kojima definitely dodged a bullet there. Also interesting to see that his future is not necessarily with Sony.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima wasn't kidding when he said he was interested in Cloud gaming I guess. Probably a decent chance he's made a deal with MS or EGS for a new game.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Tbf without knowing more about the project, I would probably turn down Yu Suzuki too at this point.

Turning down Kojima's horror game considering the hype for P.T does strike me as foolish though. Even if the game was shite in the end, that's one of the few things that might actually sell Stadias

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Tbf without knowing more about the project, I would probably turn down Yu Suzuki too at this point.

Turning down Kojima's horror game considering the hype for P.T does strike me as foolish though. Even if the game was shite in the end, that's one of the few things that might actually sell Stadias
Hit my thoughts perfectly. Kojima's game would have been a service seller, no doubt.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
stadia is in funeral mode for sure the support is gonna unwind 1-2 more years and it's going to get shut down.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Well damn, its not like iam not glad that i didn't see any sort of exclusive game being made again by kojima or other big creators. I hate exclusives. Timed or Permanent.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
oh boy, those announcement threads would have been a bloodbath

this also tells me they're not moving on to chasing third party deals anymore (the pixeljunk deal or any that will soon be revealed were probably inked before all of this), which was something people thought they might do after shutting down first party production.
But they would've had content they would get people to try it out. People could hate all they want, but to play the new Kojima game, you would have to play it on Stadia. That's huge. Instead they spent tens of millions on games that other platforms already had.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Sucks for the developers, but there's lots of money being thrown around the industry these days so hopefully someone picks up these contracts. Game streaming will be the death of games preservation, I'd rather exclusives be with any company than Google.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what made Kojima cancel the game (other than missing the budget Google would have paid them, of course, but I'm sure some other publisher would have picked it up).

If it couldn't be on other platforms, maybe it used some of Stadias weird features for gameplay?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But they would've had content they would get people to try it out. People could hate all they want, but to play the new Kojima game, you would have to play it on Stadia. That's huge. Instead they spent tens of millions on games that other platforms already had.
i'm not saying it would have been a bad thing, just that there would be meltdowns if the next kojima game was stadia exclusive.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Google just isn't willing to put in the money. Stadia's only been out for a year and 3 months. Microsoft lost billions establishing Xbox. Google somehow thought they'd be successful with their platform barely a year after starting from scratch and they're already giving up.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Google had no idea what game development actually entails. How people that are so smart and educated to the highest degree make such stupid decisions. I just don't understand.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I thought Death Stranding was self-indulgent garbage, but an exclusive Kojima title for Stadia would have likely gotten their platform some additional eyeballs for sure.

So assuming this news is accurate, it's pretty much the final nail in the coffin for the idea that they were shutting down SG&E in order to throw money at big external exclusives (which is no surprise whatsoever).

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
So let me get this straight an industry legend who has a cult like following wanted to make an exclusive game, which could drive thousands of people to stadia and you said no. I mean how are they this stupid like really.

EDIT: Stadia's first mistake was hiring Phil Harrison

Last edited:

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame people for taking the opportunities but betting on Stadia was never going to end well

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
So, that idea that Kojima's next game would be a PlayStation exclusive doesn't seem so sure anymore, right? It could very well be multiplatform or an exclusive to a different ecosystem.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Google had no idea what game development actually entails. How people that are so smart and educated to the highest degree make such stupid decisions. I just don't understand.

Thing is, thats what Phil Harrison is for? In some respects, I am not too bothered that Google dont know because thats why they hire people who do. Unfortunately they got cold feet, probably after hiring the wrong person (people)