• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Not liking that it's been rebooted at a new developer and still expected to release in ~2 years (and realistically a bit less time than 2 years if the show is out any other date than December 31 2023).

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lucid did post job openings recently

Lucid Games - Careers

If you are looking for the next step in your career, check out our latest roles in game design, programming, art, production on our careers page.
No idea what the structure of their deal was with Sony, but hopefully there aren't impending layoffs or studio closure for them…

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Not liking that it's been rebooted at a new developer and still expected to release in ~2 years (and realistically a bit less time than 2 years if the show is out any other date than December 31 2023).

Yeah this doesn't sound especially exciting for Twisted Metal, such a shame, TM1&2 were a ton of fun back in the days.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm cautiously optimistic that the current hero shooter dominated market will be friendly to TM. Also plenty of opportunities for skins and such for people who are into that.

My ideal Twisted Metal is probably different than what they'll end up making, though. I like exploring sprawling levels with lots of secret areas and stuff, but they're probably going with a smaller arena shooter.

God TM 2012's levels were so good. They built like an entire fucking city in the Detroit level with functioning highways, rooftops, parking garages, the fuckin works. Amusement park and Christmas NYC were also amazing. I really hope the new game keeps in line with that. Matchmaking/servers were mostly fucked, but it was glorious chaos when it worked. Nothing else even remotely like it.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I also think Twisted Metal is just... a relic of the past.

I just dont see people dedicating serious time to playing the game. It was fun in the 90s but there's no real enjoyment to the formula that would work today in the age of competitive online multiplayer.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
It really just seems like it's this. The question I'm asking, though, is who thought a Twisted Metal TV show would be a good idea in the first place?
To be fair, this is very similar to how Ratchet bounced back. Needing a game (The remake) to release alongside another media project.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Well the "remake/reboots that coincide with a TV show" initiative seems to be off to a rocky start. Hopefully they take the hint, imo.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I also think Twisted Metal is just... a relic of the past.

I just dont see people dedicating serious time to playing the game. It was fun in the 90s but there's no real enjoyment to the formula that would work today in the age of competitive online multiplayer.
Ya I grew up playing Twisted Metal…but I really don't see it as something that is competable with the games of today. Let's see though

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
And are they still pretending that it releases in 2023? They are going to crunch like hell.

Oct 30, 2017
Just cancel it. Don't waste multiple developers' time and resources on Twisted Metal of all things. 🤷‍♂️

Good luck to Lucid, though. Being thrown off a project has to hurt them.
Yeah.

This doesn't excite me. I'd prefer Sony's first party not work on something like Twisted Metal. I just don't see that franchise really catching on with a mass market, either.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I just don't understand who is asking for this game. And now it appears to have some level of troubled development on top of the general lack of interest?

Seems like this might be a disaster.

The series is successful however it's been poorly handled after 2 with the exception of Black and Head On and 2012 biggest problem is lack of content

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
I guess they gave them until the end of the year to show the direction they wanted to take the game and Sony wasn't impressed?

It's ok to let Twisted Metal die though. By the time they get it out the door, the 90s nostalgia will be done and we'll all be listening to Sum 41 again for some reason.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hope this is true, I'd feel better about it being handled by a first party Sony studio, at least it should be good quality. Still curious what they have planned though.

I'd love another traditional Twisted Metal, with single player campaign and multiplayer modes, like the old games, no Free 2 Play shit please.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
of all the IPs to bring back, why twisted metal? I can understand a new mid budget game but a TV show?

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this info is wrong.

That being said, if it is not then please Sony. Do it right. I love twisted metal and can't wait for the TV series so please do it justice.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully not Housemarque. I want them working on more crazy sci-fi games. I guess Firesprite makes the most sense? They're massive and some of their people have experience with vehicular combat games.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Waste of talent as far as I'm concerned. Then again some of my favorite IPs are niche, so I guess I'm happy for whoever's actually asking for a new Twisted Metal.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Will probably be Firesprite.... Which makes me extra sad that Wipeout wasnt the rumored Lucid Game. We could have turned out with another Liverpool Wipeout game (assuming Lucid would have shit the bed with Wipeout as well).

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Poor Lucid. Really hope they have another project in the works.
I just don't understand who is asking for this game.
giphy.gif

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
As long as it's not Housemarque. If it is I hope they're working on another game because the last thing I want from them is a Twisted Metal game. After Returnal I wanna see more original games

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Tough break for Lucid. Hope they land another project. Not sure about that 2023 date being hit if they're doing this.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
This is going to be like the PS3 game that came and went with little fanfare. If there's no vision for it, then why bother shuffling it around to different devs?

overthewaves

Sep 30, 2020
2-3 year dev time? I feel like that's too short? Unless it's a small f2p game.

Last edited:

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Destruction game was incredibly bad and looks like Sony doesn't want to miss with TM. I am glad with this decision.