• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sources-ps5-was-the-uks-biggest-ever-console-launch/
According to publishing sources speaking to VGC, launch sales for Sony's console far exceeded the UK's previous record holder, 2013's PlayStation 4, which sold some 250,000 units in its first 48 hours.

It means PS5 significantly outsold the launch of Xbox Series X and S in the region, which VGC previously reported had sold around 155,000 units on its first day
The most popular PS5 model at launch was the more expensive disc drive edition, VGC understands, which like Series X accounted for around two-thirds of UK launch sales.

However, the sales figures come with some caveats: due to significant supply constraints for both Xbox Series X/S and PS5, the consoles would likely have sold even better if more stock was available.

Similarly, any additional stock during the launch window for either Xbox Series X/S or PS5 will almost certainly sell out, especially considering that pre-orders made up the vast majority of current hardware sales, limiting the number of units available to day one buyers.

The platform holder which sells the most consoles in the coming months will almost certainly be the one which can get the most stock into market.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Why is Sony shy about numbers lol, just release them

For comparison, in 48 hours (UK) :
  • 40k - Wii U
  • 70k - 360
  • 80k - Switch
  • 105k - Wii
  • 150k - Xbox One
  • 155k - Xbox Series X/S
  • 165k - PS3
  • 250k - PS4

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
So like Spain?

Looks like PS5 launch is breaking all records in EU

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's great that both console launches have proven to be pretty successful, especially so during a pandemic. Glad the industry is mostly healthy.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The real kicker here is that neither Sony or Microsoft could produce enough but it seems Sony just had more availability.

Wonder if Microsoft cut European losses for now to focus on US?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
You know, Sony can make 250,000 bricks, and people would buy them.

n4g.com

Bill Gates: "Sony Could Make Bricks"

Just because Bill Gates gives money to charities like disease prevention, college scholarships and the Xbox 360, doesn't mean he's gone soft. Far from it. He's still out for blood. Just listen to what Gates tells C|Net about the current console war with Sony: I wouldn't change positions with...

Everything has lined up nicely for PS5. They've had a much larger launch supply than usual, millions desperately seeking home entertainment during lockdown measures, their strongest launch line-up I can remember (at least first-party wise), and hot off the heels of a strong generation with big new PS-exclusive IP established. All that added to some great marketing this year, with their perfectly executed showcases, and huge marketing launch spend (PS5 is everywhere in the UK).

But the best part is that none of this comes at the price of the competitors - Switch and Xbox also breaking records, PC gaming thriving with GPUs selling like hotcakes.

I've said it before, but this is such a wonderful time for the industry we love. Just a shame the console warriors have to try to ruin it.

Last edited:

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
The real kicker here is that neither Sony or Microsoft could produce enough but it seems Sony just had more availability.

Wonder if Microsoft cut European losses for now to focus on US?

Microsoft waiting for their special RDNA2 tech put them at a disadvantage in production. It won't be a true 2:1 ratio though as Series S has a smaller die that needs to be accounted for.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
You know, Sony can make 250,000 bricks, and people would buy them.

n4g.com

Bill Gates: "Sony Could Make Bricks"

Just because Bill Gates gives money to charities like disease prevention, college scholarships and the Xbox 360, doesn't mean he's gone soft. Far from it. He's still out for blood. Just listen to what Gates tells C|Net about the current console war with Sony: I wouldn't change positions with...
Wait.

Where can I buy these Sony bricks? Should I pre-order?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'd be curious how many systems were shipped to each country. Congrats to Sony on the massive launch though. I'm enjoying the hell out of mine.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I am surprised at the PS5 thirst in the UK. Xbox is almost as popular here, but PS5 seems to be the main talking point.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
So we have a trend for Series consoles, seems like MS was conservative with their Worldwide stock and only shipped the same amount of stock based on what they sold with XB1 console launch. First Japan, then Spain and now UK, all have the releative same amount of stock. They must have supplied most of their stock to the US surely? Unless they had manufacturing issues and couldn't make many units for launch.

sifi36

May 28, 2020

Microsoft waiting for their special RDNA2 tech put them at a disadvantage in production. It won't be a true 2:1 ratio though as Series S has a smaller die that needs to be accounted for.

I saw this earlier, with an estimate of 10 million PS5 APUs to be produced in Q4. This though will be for finished consoles shipped in Q1 I would have thought.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I am surprised at the PS5 thirst in the UK. Xbox is almost as popular here, but PS5 seems to be the main talking point.
I'm going to say FIFA advertising and Miles Morales were big factors with price parity.

On here, we often forget that the public has different expectations from us.

I've also just seen more PS5 ads.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
It's hilarious that some people thought the stock was lower than PS4. In reality the demand has been much higher (same for XSX versus XB1).

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I'm going to say FIFA advertising and Miles Morales were big factors with price parity.

On here, we often forget that the public has different expectations from us.

I've also just seen more PS5 ads.
PS5 could have launched without any games and yet hype would have been huge. It's thanks to their glorious PS4 gen.

Tusken77

Oct 27, 2017
England, United Kingdom
PS5 could have launched without any games and yet hype would have been huge. It's thanks to their glorious PS4 gen.

Yep, phenomenal PS4 gen that finished really strongly with the likes of TLOU2 /Ghost of Tsushima carrying that momentum through to PS5. Things like how unique the PS5 looks, huge positive word of mouth for the DualSense, SSD buzz is just icing on the cake.