• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Lol, nonsense. This is possibly a free add-on to PS Plus and not indicative of any additional video game strategies they may or may not be doing.

Sony is a huge entertainment company so leveraging some of their other media arms to sweeten the deal for Plus is a logical move.

Yes it's "neat" because it is in PS Plus, for the first year, I bet they will change it after that but it's neat for Plus Members at the time, but still nothing anyone asked for with Netflix, Prime, D+ and all the other US services already existing.

And if these movies aren't at least 4K it's straight useless. A good 4K availability could be a spot to get into, cause that's where everyone is still lacking so far (minus D+, their output is great) so that's indeed one way to get into, but if they can't get that right, it's a straight failure.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Don't even have Funimation here in my country T.T Have to use a VPN probably to watch Mugen Train on Funi :( Pls Sony....make it widely available.
Is Funimation free, or do you pay for a sub while on a VPN? I tried to VPN to US one day to watch Funi, but it wanted me to sub to watch with subs.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I probably wouldn't use it, unless it had new films day one, but if it's included in the PS+ price and not an additional thing then it seems fine enough.

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020
Doubt Sony is adding anime and outside of anime, they don't have a great track record when it comes to movies.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Not that interested in this, it's cool as an extra for Plus, but I'd rather have some extra game content.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
If there's anything I want to watch on there, it'll be good enough. Will be interesting to see how it works out after the trial period.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Yes it's "neat" because it is in PS Plus, for the first year, I bet they will change it after that but it's neat for Plus Members at the time, but still nothing anyone asked for with Netflix, Prime, D+ and all the other US services already existing.

And if these movies aren't at least 4K it's straight useless. A good 4K availability could be a spot to get into, cause that's where everyone is still lacking so far (minus D+, their output is great) so that's indeed one way to get into, but if they can't get that right, it's a straight failure.
Not all Sony owned movies appear on those services. If anything Neflix and Prime have been losing shows continuously and are relying more and more on originals, which have their own merits.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
So the rumors of this being the response to gamepass... Are true? This is a fucking terrible move if so.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
And who says it is supposed to be? Sony is not just about Playstation.

If you look at their yearly financials they are pretty much just PlayStation as their main net income driver. As consumer electronics division equals same revenue but not same net income. Playstation's revenue is more music and flim divisions combined just based on 2018 reports. Now with a year of covid thats only going to be more of a stark contrast. As prior years PlayStation accounted for 30% of their total revenue.

If sony were a university. Playstation is the football team that generates the profits so music and film can exist.

Secondly, we saw this play out once before when Microsoft Tried the TV TV TV press conference to launch the Xbox One. You can not like it, but people already compare ps plus and gamepass. So now if you add video pass what is the first thing the media and fans are going to do. How does this compare to gamepass as that's just where we are right now in the world.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts of Europe probably do, but in Czechia, I get this message on Wakanim
Oh yeah, Meant western Europe mostly. Kinda sad the licencing of all that stuff is such a PITA.
Apparently Wakanim's only available in:
Frankreich, Belgien, der Schweiz, Russland, der Ukraine, Deutschland, Österreich, Schweden, Norwegen und Dänemark.

Thought it was more European countries.

Jan 20, 2019
If you look at their yearly financials they are pretty much just PlayStation as their main net income driver. As consumer electronics division equals same revenue but not same net income. Playstation's revenue is more music and flim divisions combined just based on 2018 reports. Now with a year of covid thats only going to be more of a stark contrast. As prior years PlayStation accounted for 30% of their total revenue.

If sony were a university. Playstation is the football team that generates the profits so music and film can exist.

Secondly, we saw this play out once before when Microsoft Tried the TV TV TV press conference to launch the Xbox One. You can not like it, but people already compare ps plus and gamepass. So now if you add video pass what is the first thing the media and fans are going to do. How does this compare to gamepass as that's just where we are right now in the world.

You should actualy see the financial report, Sony is longer just PlayStation.

The reports are public, all their divisions make money.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I know some are trying real hard to push the narrative and comparison, but offering an additive video service element to your system during its lifecycle is very different to making TV and video features a core facet of your systems launch appeal and presentation.

I have to presume they're joking or weren't around in 2013 to understand what was really going on back then. The 'TV TV TV' problem was never about a console platform offering media services on the side.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Well I already said couple weeks ago that current Playstation gives me late 360 early Xbox One vibes...

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Not everyone subs currently to a bunch of other video streaming services, and this is potentially a global rollout since it was on a Polish site. An added value at no additional cost (assuming it is) is nothing to complain about. If it ain't for you then at least realize it may be for someone else.

Now, best to wait and see what exactly this is before predicting more doom.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
You should actualy see the financial report, Sony is longer just PlayStation.

The reports are public, all their divisions make money.

Never said all their divisions don't make money. I have looked at the reports and i used specifically revenue and specifically net income and specifically used dates for a reason

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
sure, i'll take more free stuff. also, i love that specifically called it videopass.

Nov 14, 2017
Not all Sony owned movies appear on those services. If anything Neflix and Prime have been losing shows continuously and are relying more and more on originals, which have their own merits.
Except didn't Sony just sign a deal with Netflix so starting in 2022 all their films will go there first after the theatrical run? Seems counter-productive to sign that deal then turn around with whatever this is.

Curious to see what it turns out to be officially. If it's launching tomorrow then I assume an announcement is coming soon.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Forum whining and hostility, recent warning for related infraction
So the rumors of this being the response to gamepass... Are true? This is a fucking terrible move if so.

I see logic has completely left the conversation and we are just clowning at this point. What has happened to this place?

The Carnival of Stupid continues.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Except didn't Sony just sign a deal with Netflix so starting in 2022 all their films will go there first after the theatrical run? Seems counter-productive to sign that deal then turn around with whatever this is.

Curious to see what it turns out to be officially. If it's launching tomorrow then I assume an announcement is coming soon.
Sure, but for the next year they can be on this service instead. Not to mention catalog which is sometimes as big of a deal as new releases.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
sure, i'll take more free stuff. also, i love that specifically called it videopass.
"A new benefit available for a limited time on PlayStation Plus… PS Plus Video Pass is a trial service active 22.04.21 – 22.04.22. The subscription benefit is available to PS Plus users".

I'm not sure why y'all are so sure it's free on top of Plus, folks. All of this to me sounds like an additional subscription service, but with a price reduced benefit to PSplus users (with a maybe free temporary "demo"). "Subscription benefit" that is "available" doesn't describe "free thing" that is "included", usually.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
This is not their answer to Gamepass. Y'all are trolling and overreacting like you should.

This will be included with PS+. You are all lying to yourself if you think PS+ is the answer to GamePass.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Here we go with the hyperbole from this place. Think to yourself why would movies be their answer to gamepass? Lol

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018

I would assume Playstation is their biggest branch even without knowing the financial reports, I wasn't alluding to the size of PS branch, but rather saying that Sony has more entertainment branches than PS, and that they are just combining them, in a sense. If PS is really the biggest, then this move makes even more sense to me, they probably want to promote movies to more Playstation owners.

And I know people compare Plus to Game Pass, and with the creation of Plus Collection, I can see why they would, but comparing a Movie Pass to Game Pass is seriously a misunderstanding. I don't understand why would Sony even try to make this a competitor to Game Pass...
Oh yeah, Meant western Europe mostly. Kinda sad the licencing of all that stuff is such a PITA.
Apparently Wakanim's only available in:
Frankreich, Belgien, der Schweiz, Russland, der Ukraine, Deutschland, Österreich, Schweden, Norwegen und Dänemark.

Thought it was more European countries.
Luckily, Crunchyroll is mostly available here. A large selection of it is watchable, and all the new simulcasts are usually too, so I'm hoping Sony acquiring them will mean they will expand the CR catalog here.

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
Doubt Sony is adding anime and outside of anime, they don't have a great track record when it comes to movies.
I mean, their blockbusters aren't great no but they own Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures Classics, the latter of which still releases some fantastic stuff.

Anyway, movies as a value add to PS+ would be cool enough I guess but I don't feel strongly on it when they're catering to the masses. It'll probably just be some Tom Holland Spidey bullshit and Venom lmao.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure why y'all are so sure it's free on top of Plus, folks. All of this to me sounds like an additional subscription service, but with a price reduced benefit to PSplus users (with a maybe free temporary "demo"). "Subscription benefit" that is "available" doesn't describe "free thing" that is "included", usually.

Anything's possible given the limited data we have. We'll know soon enough either way.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

The Netflix thing is just the US, so it's not terribly important if this is going for a WW market. Their TV stuff would be much more affect by stuff like Netflix, as pretty much all their big productions are tied to 1 of the big streaming services.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Will give it a whirl, i don't really care about being given tonnes of games to shove in an ever growing backlog i won't touch, so if it's half decent i might keep my plus subscription.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
Welp, not interested to be honest. I want games on my consoles, not films/series. I already have Netflix for that, and I unsuscribe often.
I hope it won't be a "forced" addition to PS+, I like my subscriptions to be separated.

May 25, 2019
London
Sony needs to deliver a killer feature with this, like letting me watch content from this in a picture-in-picture window as I play games on my PS5 (similar to watching screen share from a friend)

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't need to watch what I want from this service more than once. i'll sub to the trial for a weekend and watch a couple movies for free and be done with it.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, few weeks ago, was joking with a friend that Venom 2 would get delayed some more, only to premiere on ps+

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
So Shpeshal Ed said something along the lines of this here a couple weeks ago...interesting:

Their reasoning for why Sony couldn't launch a competitor to GamePass are outlandish and wrong. "They only release two games per year." "They would need VC funds." (Sony isn't an early funding start-up. They are huge conglomerate that has been around forever.)

The idea of Sony launching a tie-in for video on demand into PlayStation Plus would have been easy to guess with how they own a huge movie studio and they are creating video/TV/film adaptations for all their big IPs.