• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I hope they mean real exclusives that are designed for the hardware (mythical SSD shenanigans) rather than "we paid this company to delay the other versions by 6 month/1 year."

At the very least I'm expecting more 1st party output from Sony with their studio expansions.

Oct 27, 2017
We know for a fact that's it's not limited to games they make, or even third party games which otherwise wouldn't exist, since final fantasy 16 is a thing.

Then even for first party, thing can easily be debated when in comes to other platform like PC.
Said post was implying exclusivity is bad period.

Sony are as said before, expanding. The studios that used to make one game every 4 years will now be able to produce two if things go smoothly. Not to mention, Sony are doing mini games in between each game so they will be making more games.

Also not sure what you are on about with first party exclusives not counting if they come to PC.
Why would they not money hat they are the market leader they will throw their weight around like that. Sony does it, Microsoft did it, it's a shit practice
Because while they can do it, they are expanding their studios to make more games.

Just saying they will money hat games is simplifying things they will do.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
More than ps1/2 Era? doubt.

Definitely agree, PS2 was an absolute monster. I think in the "PS2 vs. Dreamcast + Xbox + GC" thread someone worked out there were something like 1,000-2,000 games that appeared on PS2 that weren't available on the other consoles. Obviously a lot of those weren't through deals, but as a consequence of PS2's marketshare. Either way they were still exclusives.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they mean real exclusives that are designed for the hardware (mythical SSD shenanigans) rather than "we paid this company to delay the other versions by 6 month/1 year."

At the very least I'm expecting more 1st party output from Sony with their studio expansions.
Same, but it's reasonable (unfortunately) to expect more timed exclusives like FF7, FF16 and Forsworn. In an ideal world this would be all about the first party output.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Because while they can do it, they are expanding their studios to make more games.

Just saying they will money hat games is simplifying things they will do.
Eh, games take longer than ever to make and with the increased stigma around crunch I wouldn't assume that expansion of internal studios will mean increased output. And insiders here like Matt have implied that the 3rd party exclusivity deals that we know of are only the tip of the iceberg.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
I believe in Jim Ryan, a legend for sure. Can't wait to play fantastic PlayStation titles that are yet to come. Never been let down by their fp portfolio, strengthening 3rd party ties is welcome.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, games take longer than ever to make and with the increased stigma around crunch I wouldn't assume that expansion of internal studios will mean increased output.
While I agree with you, they are starting new studios just for support.

Having support studios help with the big games that require the help will lead to "faster" development for the games that do need more manpower.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Said post was implying exclusivity is bad period.

Sony are as said before, expanding. The studios that used to make one game every 4 years will now be able to produce two if things go smoothly. Not to mention, Sony are doing mini games in between each game so they will be making more games.

Also not sure what you are on about with first party exclusives not counting if they come to PC.
Actually that's my point, it's arguable that even first party title need to be exclusive to a single platform, as shown with PC ( and more with streaming in xcloud case ).

Which does lead to some of us disliking exclusive in pretty much all form.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
Really getting sick of this exclusive nonsense.
giphy.gif

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Why is this a news story? Lol

"Our console will have lots of exclusive games in the future and we're thinking about acquiring companies."

like ok?

Oct 27, 2017
Actually that's my point, it's arguable that even first party title need to be exclusive to a single platform, as shown with PC ( and more with streaming in xcloud case ).

Which does lead to some of us disliking exclusive in pretty much all form.
In the case of MS they can do what they want because at the end of the day their business is different.

With Sony it is a different practice. They need the exclusives to sell their hardware. That might change later but as of now exclusives are required for Playstation.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
This is impossible. The libraries for PlayStation and PlayStation 2 were genuinely almost completely exclusive and the way third parties operate now is different.

Even considering first party, the next two or three years is going to be loaded with crossgen games and probably a few more PC ports.
Yeah it's nothing but PR speak.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
the speculation that they are going hard for timed exclusives and with their first party. I can see this is probably true.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Hopefully he doesn't mean just timed exclusives an locking content off other platforms.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Same, but it's reasonable (unfortunately) to expect more timed exclusives like FF7, FF16 and Forsworn. In an ideal world this would be all about the first party output.

I mean it's not possible to make jimbo claim correct without timed exclusives. Sadly he thinks that it adds any value.

Oct 27, 2017
I despise the term money hat. Additionally, there is no suggestion here that is what is meant by exclusive even if it is obvious there will be third-party exclusive content. Yes, it is bad for the wider consumer base, but I've always found the actual term odd. It is obvious they have ramped up from a first-party perspective as well, acquiring Insomniac a couple years back a major part of that. I am excited to see what new content they will be bringing as Returnal does look a great time, and their first-party launch content was good fun. As for third-parties I wouldn't be at a.l shocked to see them bullish on that front too. Let's not forget there was a period where they had multi game deals with most publishers during the PS1 or 2 era. Forspoken, Deathloop, Final Fantasy XVI, Ghostwire are all early hints at how bullish they will likely be.

Last edited:

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
User Warned: Accusations of Shilling
Well, then at least my PS5 gets used more than 3 times a year. Which is good, since my main console is the Series X for multiplatform.

Seems like a great balance if you own both. One has Game Pass, Quick Resume, Smart Delivery, FPS boost, better and more enhanced patches including exclusive enhanced BC games, VRR, auto HDR, automatic 4K PNG screenshot upload and the other one has a lot of fantastic exclusives and an impressive video recording tool (they really nailed this integration).

Making both purchases worth the money. šŸ‘
Already exited for Returnal.

gawd that's a lot of ā„¢ words
feels like i'm reading Xbox's manual on a SIE thread.

ByWatterson

ā–² Legend ā–²
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah. I hate it when console manufacturers fund games that have to be of the highest quality to add value to their platforms.

Like, I recognize that God of War and BOTW straight up don't exist unless they're exclusives, but it makes me so angry that companies try to achieve true art just to sell hardware, even if it objectively benefits me.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jimbo ain't fucking around yo.

He may be burning PS division to the ground, but he ain't fucking around.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
Why?

If they are making the games then why shouldn't they be exclusive?

Yeah. I hate it when console manufacturers fund games that have to be of the highest quality to add value to their platforms.

I would assume said poster is talking about moneyhats, of which there will be many more I'm sure. Ol' Jimbo even went on record saying "we will moneyhat a lot of games this generation". Well, he of course didn't say it like that, but you get the point unless you're purposely obtuse.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Competition.

Great Sony games will push MS into making better games.
Great MS services will push Sony into making better services.
Success of Sony/MS/Nintendo will force new entrants into the industry to be serious [Epic] or face ruin [Stadia].

This is all normal.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It makes gaming better for everyone. Competition is good.
Competition.

Great Sony games will push MS into making better games.
Great MS services will push Sony into making better services.
Success of Sony/MS/Nintendo will force new entrants into the industry to be serious [Epic] or face ruin [Stadia].

This is all normal.
Nah. Multiplatform publishers are also in "the competition". The competition is for consumer's money which isn't infinite, it's about profits. Multiplatform devs also want to make the best game that they can. Exclusivity is not the thing which is beneficial to the consumer, exclusivity doesn't create better games. Also in your example, Epic specifically took the wrong approach to enter the market when they took the moneyhatting exclusivity route. Instead of creating a great service or competing with prices. In Epic's exclusivity case, people ended up having to pay more for some games than they would had otherwise, when the games are available on more online retailers. Same will probably be true for Sony exclusives, they could be found cheaper if also on PC. That's not better for the gaming audience. Not all competition is to the benefit of the consumer, like let's say predatory microtransactions or paid online. Some competition is all about benefitting company revenue and making rich people even richer.

Like, I recognize that God of War and BOTW straight up don't exist unless they're exclusives, but it makes me so angry that companies try to achieve true art just to sell hardware, even if it objectively benefits me.
Games like Witcher , Red Dead Redemption, Half Life , Mass Effect, Skyrim, Disco Elysium, do exist on multiple platforms though. God of War and BOTW aren't really inherently better games than those, but of course it comes down to preference in the end. So it's hard to arque one game being better than the other objectively. Hence the take away should be that genre or industry defining games exist both as multiplat and exclusive, because that is indisputable. And then there's of course exclusive stinkers to balance it out too. The thought that game will be better because it's exclusive is super silly. Talent creates great games, not exclusivity. Also the argument kinda implies that money creates great games, which then ignores or atleast downplays indies and AA games. It also forgets huge bombs like Anthem, EA put a lot of money into it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): Console wars
More exclusives that will come to PC eventually šŸ¤£

Shame Sony didn't release any decent PS5 exclusives on launch, big fail. Hence why not being able to buy a PS5 isn't really a big deal right now.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

Shame Sony didn't release any decent PS5 exclusives on launch, big fail. Hence why not being able to buy a PS5 isn't really a big deal right now.

Weirdly you could say this exact statement about XSX, so I'm not really sure how this is some kind of gotcha

Kemono

ā–² Legend ā–²
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully he doesn't mean just timed exclusives an locking content off other platforms.

Would you rather hear them buying beloved studios or whole publishers instead? Locking away those games forever for 2/4 of the market?

Final Fantasy XVI will release outside of Playstation and PC after some time. If they bought the publisher you would never see the game on any other console.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
...starting 30 some years ago

Those were throwing sand in the park.. :)

BUt yeah, exclusive stuff is what has driven the choice of certain hardware over the other, which is how it is.
Ideally, I would prefer to buy one hardware and have access to 100% of the games.. but if not then the second option is to buy into de ecosystem that allows me to play the same games but with various endpoints.. PC, console and/or mobile device..

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Another gen of this garbage. I really wish the industry would just fast-forward to the inevitable state of software being platform-agnostic, full multiplat/cross-play/cross-progression.

It sucks to have to own so much plastic junk with essentially the same hardware, only to have the software they can run be artificially gated.

OlƩGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium

I dunno, I think Miles (even if cross-gen was still a showcase with RT/60fps on PS5) Demons Souls, Sackboy and Astro were great launch exclusives.
Its only getting better with Returnal and Ratchet.

The average consumer out there is still thirsty af for a PS5 so its probably still a big deal not being able to get one for tons of folks.

Edit: actually nvm, I don't think that poster is engaging in good faith