• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There was some other game with a really cool looking trailer - like a fantasy first person shooter - that also never came out but showed a lot of promise. I can't find any trailers for it but I remember a WoW looking dwarf being prominent in the trailer. Or maybe my brain fabricated the whole thing.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Capcom is the master of recycling old games, I'm sure it will be used in some form. Dragons dogma 2?

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I always had a soft spot for those unrealistic targets some companies will push at the beginning of the generation.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The game is a perfect reminder to be very skeptical of console reveals with "gameplay" footage. This was never possible on the current consoles.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Deep Down was interesting to me because it was melee without the stupid lock-on combat every frigging game does since DeS. I really wanted an example of this to hit mainstream. Unfortunately it didn't, and every fuckin game is dark souls. If I see one more game that melee combat revolves around spamming a dodge-roll I'm gonna... just have to go sob more in the corner.

My friend, have you played this game called Sekiro

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Despite me being sourced in that article (which I was not expecting), all I can say is I've heard something very different from someone I fully trust about why Deep Down was shelved, and it was not because it was "near complete," let's just say that (I've shared before but don't feel like writing it all out this very moment.)

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
36XkKQi.gif

Apr 27, 2018
Despite me being sourced in that article (which I was not expecting), all I can say is I've heard something very different from someone I fully trust about why Deep Down was shelved, and it was not because it was "near complete," let's just say that (I've shared before but don't feel like writing it all out this very moment.)
Really wondered why we haven't heard anything about this game for years. My guess is that it wasn't fun to play, as others have said.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the biggest cons of this generation, and so many people defended it. The amount of conversation in regards it being realtime etc. was embarrassing.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the RE Engine originally based from the Phanta Rei? Or am I wrong in this?

Deep Down was a pretty decent concept at the time and it was the rise of the Dark Souls popularity at the time too. People really were looking forward to it but I guess we'll still see something that is similar to this from capcom on PS5.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All gameplay they've shown looked like shit tbh. Compared with the GaaS shit I don't think I will miss this one.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the RE Engine originally based from the Phanta Rei? Or am I wrong in this?

Deep Down was a pretty decent concept at the time and it was the rise of the Dark Souls popularity at the time too. People really were looking forward to it but I guess we'll still see something that is similar to this from capcom on PS5.
Not "based" on it, but RE Engine did come about from Phanta Rei's failings. Internally the engine was called Sofia, and it was HELL to work with. RE Engine was made from scratch, but they did take inspiration from the failings of the Sofia Engine.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Not "based" on it, but RE Engine did come about from Phanta Rei's failings. Internally the engine was called Sofia, and it was HELL to work with. RE Engine was made from scratch, but they did take inspiration from the failings of the Sofia Engine.

Damn that does sound like hell to make. Glad it all worked out for them in the end.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Was Capcom investing in two major engines at the same time? I had always assume companies focus on developing one engine for all their uses.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
The same company that released Dark Void didn't finish a game because it wasn't good enough, okay.

I didn't actually play DV apologize if I offend fans (?)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Was Capcom investing in two major engines at the same time? I had always assume companies focus on developing one engine for all their uses.
Capcom was essentially trying to make a modern engine/toolset for modern development. Panta Rhei was the failed attempt but if you look at the design goals it and RE Engine aren't dissimilar. PBR support, faster prototyping and iteration, the works, etc.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
This game seemed much more appealing in the era before Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, NioH 1-2 etc. I don't think the market even exists anymore. There's plenty of games in the style now, when it was making news there was not much going on in the space.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
That the premise for this game was some sci-fi Assassin's Creed stuff, is something different than Dragon's Dogma i guess. Rumours about the work they did for this turning into the RE engine seem likley.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
One of the biggest cons of this generation, and so many people defended it. The amount of conversation in regards it being realtime etc. was embarrassing.

Truly.

It also goes to show how simply wooing people with very pretty, often clearly unfeasible, visuals remains extremely effective. It just works and thus, the bullshot trailers will continue for all eternity. Games like this and Anthem basically got 90% of their hype from fake pretty trailers.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
"Near-complete" is meaningless in game development. Game can look completely playable midway during production, but finishing and polishing everything can take just as much time.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even if the game was bad why would you not release it if it's almost finished? even if it only sold 100k copies that's better than selling 0

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
The fact that people actually believing it was a real time gameplay footage, never stops to be hilarious.