• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
GmVImuE-1024x576.png

Everwild's most senior developer, creative director Simon Woodroffe, has resigned from his position at Rare, VGC understands.
In a statement issued to VGC, the Microsoft owned studio confirmed the departure and insisted that Everwild development would be in good hands going forward.

Studio head Craig Duncan said: "We thank Simon for all his hard work on Everwild and wish him the very best of luck for the future.

Everwild's direction will now seemingly be left solely to executive producer Louise O'Connor, the Conker's Bad Fur Day animator who has led most of the game's promotion.

The game's lead designer is former Lionhead designer James Blackham, who joined Rare from Square Enix last year specifically to work on the game.
www.videogameschronicle.com

Rare’s Everwild has lost its creative director | VGC

The original IP's most senior creative resigned this month…

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this game very early anyway? Didn't they literally say that they don't know what the game will become in the end? So it doesn't seem like a big deal to lose the creative director this early.

Oct 27, 2017
Since they are so early in development and still don't know the direction they want to go in, I don't think this is a big deal.

Just don't expect this game to come out any time soon.

Sep 7, 2020
Troubling news coming out of MS first party studios over the last couple of days. Guess we have to see how this impacts things moving forward.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Meh, the game is still early in development, I don't think it matters much at this point.

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I hope this is just a "normal" change, rather than a sign of trouble, because just based on the trailers Everwild has become one of my most anticipated games of next-gen

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I got the vibe that this game was pretty early in its development, anyway, so I'm not too concerned. I can't wait to learn more about it, though. Such a cool-looking game.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
This is indeed how jobs work. You work at one, see another that you'd like to work at, and then go work there if you get it and hopefully get more money. I'm confused why people seem to have forgotten this.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
From the highs of buying Bethesda to some pretty fucking concerning news for the studious they already own. Yikes.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't they basically say they aren't sure what the game will even be yet, not too long ago? So probably not as impactful as losing a Creative Director normally is, but still never really a good sign 1 leaving mid development.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
User Warned: Concern Trolling
It's amazing how much everything seems to be falling apart over there.

Getting pretty worried about the Doom and Wolfenstein properties. :(

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Could be where the creative development is finished up, and now it's just finishing the rest of the game. Ghostwire Tokyo lost its creative director as well, but at that point, the vision was already well in to development.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That's a bummer. Hope everything manages to align again because this looked really interesting.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe don't announce games so early that you don't know what's it even gonna be? What a mess.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
People really be acting like the whole of microsofts studios are fucked when two people leave. Yall need to grow up

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
The timing next to Halo Infinite losing its creative director makes this look worse than it actually is.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I trust Rare even though their games aren't for me lately. 343 is another story.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Like people have said, the game feels like it's still veeeeeery early in production, so it's not that bad. However, the timing could not be any worse for XGS, really bad optics.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone read the article or did they just jump in to troll post: No reason was given for the creative director's decision to leave, though studio sources told VGC that he had been absent for some time after submitting his resignation earlier this month.

This sounds like he left himself either for personal or career reasons, nothing to do with the game or the studio.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
It's amazing how much everything seems to be falling apart over there.

Getting pretty worried about the Doom and Wolfenstein properties. :(

You have to be kidding me right? Everything fallin apart? Are you for real?

Did anyone read the article or did they just jump in to troll post: No reason was given for the creative director's decision to leave, though studio sources told VGC that he had been absent for some time after submitting his resignation earlier this month.

This sounds like he left himself either for personal or career reasons, nothing to do with the game or the studio.

Bold of you to assume people read the threads on ERA.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I know Phil talks a sweet game about how their studios have freedom and everything is going well, but losing two high raking devs at the same time really tells another tale.

Oct 28, 2017
This is indeed how jobs work. You work at one, see another that you'd like to work at, and then go work there if you get it and hopefully get more money. I'm confused why people seem to have forgotten this.

Jobs work that way, sure, but the article doesn't say that at all!

"No reason was given for the creative director's decision to leave, though studio sources told VGC that he had been absent for some time after submitting his resignation earlier this month."

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Game is still in early development so I dont think this is as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.

If this was like one or two years later then yeah that would be troubling but now? Eh.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Platform Warring and Trolling; Numerous Prior Bans for the Same Behavior
Money can buy IPs, but it can't keep talent.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Read through the article.
In summary, the creative director resigned and has now been replaced.

how does that translate to these doom and gloom posts here ?

Money can buy IPs, but it can't keep talent.

People resign or leave their jobs everyday. There's multiple ex-Naughty dogs and SSM devs and creatives at the Initiative. Would you call those mismanaged too?
Rod Fergusson left the Coalition to helm Diablo. Does that say the Coalition is in trouble too?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Game is still early in development per Rare and they've already found a replacement so I don't think this is a huge loss, certainly not as bad as losing two directors in two years for something that's supposed to ship next year