• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
ps5-1280x714.jpg

A recent Bloomberg report claimed Sony's home territory was being excluded from promotional planning for PS5 and had seen its development teams slashed as the company placed more importance on the West.

Following the report, PS5 recorded PlayStation's lowest ever launch numbers in Japan due to few consoles being made available. Its Japan Studio also saw several high-profile departures including Demon's Souls producer Teruyuki Toriyama, and Gravity Rush creator Keiichiro Toyama.

Currently, Nintendo is dominating Japanese hardware sales, with Switch accounting for 87% of all consoles sold last year.

Speaking to VGC in a new interview, Nier Automata developer Platinum played down suggestion that Japan was being overlooked with PS5.

Studio head Atsushi Inaba said: "To be honest, we don't feel it that much, or at least I haven't felt the impact of it myself yet. That being said, I do understand that the console industry in Japan is not what it used to be and when that happens the priorities of these big console makers will change, and that makes perfect sense to me."

He added: "I don't know if this is an opinion that's out there, and I don't have any personal investment, but just because PlayStation is from Japan doesn't mean it should focus on the Japanese market. I don't feel that way. At the same time, I don't think it's American now either: I think it's international and doesn't really belong to any country. That's how I feel as a developer.

"However, I understand from a user perspective that if we start seeing release schedules prioritising the US over Japan, then that will be frustrating I'm sure. I'm not going to tell Japanese fans, 'that's how it is, deal with it'."

Platinum's other co-founder Hideki Kamiya – the designer behind Devil May Cry and Okami – shared more passionate comments about Sony's decision to break with tradition for PS5's default controls.

"Maybe you're aware that up until PS4 the default confirm button in Japan has always been circle, where as it was always X in the US," he explained. "But for PS5, Sony has unified this and made X the default select button in Japan like the US.

"To me, this doesn't feel like a Japan versus US thing – my pride isn't hurt as a Japanese person – it's just more that there are two camps who had two ways of doing things, and I think they've short-sightedly leaned one way. I don't understand the reasoning behind that."

Platinum's Hideki Kamiya said he felt it was far too early to jump to conclusions on how PS5 would perform in Japan.

"Like I said, to me it's not a Japan versus the US situation, but more about 'culture A' and 'culture B'," he told VGC. "One was chosen over the other, but I don't think that means Japan is going to break away – I don't see that.

"I don't see a shunning of Sony from the Japanese makers at all. And really it's so hard to get a PS5 right now that I feel we don't have enough accurate data on how it will ultimately fair in Japan yet."

www.videogameschronicle.com

PlatinumGames says it doesn’t expect Japanese creators to shun PS5 | VGC

A recent report accused Sony of “not taking Japan seriously” amid low launch figures…

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
pretty meaningless comments.

big Japanese devs will support the PS5 if they can factor large overseas sales into their estimates, which is most of their output these days anyway.
small Japanese devs who rely more on domestic sales will support the PS5 with switch ports where it makes financial sense unless their name is Falcom.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't know if this is an opinion that's out there, and I don't have any personal investment, but just because PlayStation is from Japan doesn't mean it should focus on the Japanese market. I don't feel that way. At the same time, I don't think it's American now either: I think it's international and doesn't really belong to any country. That's how I feel as a developer.

This is a good quote. It's how I feel about PlayStation/Sony these days. They're focusing on the whole world, not just specific markets.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine they're too eager unless they have a major toe-hold in other territories

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Not sure what shunning would accomplish. Hey, my acclaimed game is available on Switch, PC and Mac, but not your platform of choice because I'm mad at you! Ok dude.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think anyone expect the Japanese support to go away, the major players already transitionned to making games for the West for quite some time, so just like Sony, the market performance in Japan will have 0 impact on their plans.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they won't.

People thinking they would were putting the cart before the horse.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Why would they shun a console that is so blatantly going to be an international success.

Because we have companies like Atlus and Falcom that have historically been "JAPAN FIRST SONY ONLY" and they're gonna find themselves between a rock and a hard place if they target ps5 only. They're either gonna need to make sure their games are scalable and same day on Switch in Japan, or make their games get global releases a lot sooner. Otherwise you're probably going to have a lot of frustrated suits that see cost are going up to develop on ps5 while sales are going down.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"I don't see a shunning of Sony from the Japanese makers at all. And really it's so hard to get a PS5 right now that I feel we don't have enough accurate data on how it will ultimately fair in Japan yet."

^^^ me in every sales discussion about how "PS5 is doomed in Japan"

Though Sony really does need to ship more PS5s to Japan. And everywhere else in the world. It's crazy that we're three months in and it's still so hard to get.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese developers should refuse to make games for PS5 until Sony reverses their ignoble decision to mess with the confirm and cancel button layout.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Though Sony really does need to ship more PS5s to Japan. And everywhere else in the world. It's crazy that we're three months in and it's still so hard to get.

To be fair whilst there's an extreme lack of stock it's not like it's the only sign of a declining PlayStation brand in Japan. The PS4 has fallen off to a much harsher extent than the PS3 did and software has significantly declined.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair whilst there's an extreme lack of stock it's not like it's the only sign of a declining PlayStation brand in Japan. The PS4 has fallen off to a much harsher extent than the PS3 did and software has significantly declined.

This is true. But we can't determine PS5's success (or failure) based on that.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is true. But we can't determine PS5's success (or failure) based on that.

No, of course not. I would say presently that the lack of stock is making it look worse than it actually is, but there's not a lot going in PS5's favour in terms of predicting a potential rebound from the PS4 trajectory.

There's also the idea that a lack of stock could even cause issues down the line if publishers decide to delay releases if the user base is lower than they forecast originally.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it the opposite way?

small devs "please lord sony, support us"
sony "talk to my feet"
small devs "please lord smelly feet, deal with us"
lord feet "........"
small devs (die)

Rowsdower

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Well sure, but Sony does have the resources to cater to local needs to some extent. I don't understand why focusing on the world means you have ignore the local needs.

I don't think they want to ignore local needs, but they just don't have enough stock or production yet. Maybe they feel it's better to ship what they have to numerous locales instead of just one area. All speculation of course.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Available consoles is the problem that has to resolve in the next year or so, i expect mostly cross gen for japanese companies with Sony backed exclusives being the exception like FF16.

Jun 23, 2019

Exactly. Which is why I believe this notion that Japan is going to completely abandon PS5 is overstated, at least in the international sense.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a good quote. It's how I feel about PlayStation/Sony these days. They're focusing on the whole world, not just specific markets.
So does Nintendo and they're incredibly successful in Japan.

Not that I think SIE made the wrong decision in prioritizing the west, mind you. But I'd argue Nintendo is a better example of an international success story than PlayStation these days. Their console and IP genuinely have appeal on a global scale.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's just a matter of stock. Nintendo is seemingly producing Switches much faster then Sony with the PS5.
I really do hope PS5 is at least as successful as PS4 in Japan (hopefully a fair bit more so), but I really don't see it happening. But I'd love to be proven wrong, as I'd like to see more than one hardware maker thrive in that country.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's just a matter of stock. Nintendo is seemingly producing Switches much faster then Sony with the PS5.

Sony's "issues" in Japan aren't limited to PS5. The PS4 was a relatively soft performer there, doing less than the PS3 despite consolidating third party support behind the platform.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I don't expect japanese publishers abandon Japan at all. That is silly, specially considering the bigger publishers will always be there for PS5/Xbox. But for smaller publishers their options will be survive with cross-gen games and/or Switch. It's not that different than the first couple of years from PS4... except than Nintendo has a option for them, and if those publishers think the PS ecosystem is not a fit for them they will go with Nintendo and Switch.

Rowsdower

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Sony's "issues" in Japan aren't limited to PS5. The PS4 was a relatively soft performer there, doing less than the PS3 despite consolidating third party support behind the platform.

True. Perhaps Sony should introduce more family friendly games then? It seems the Japanese market enjoy those much for then "mature" titles.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not midterm/longterm.....but i can see some devs/pubs being a bit more cautious for this year considering the limited stock and the low software sales in Japan.

Gonna be a bit until we see next-gen exclusives anyway, unless paid for.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I think he means on games. Sony's decline is more than just the box, it's also the games. Their games are directed towards Western market. Their games sell next to nothing on Japan, while Nintendo has found the middle ground of appealing to every market and growing everywhere at the same time.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
To be honest, we don't feel it that much, or at least I haven't felt the impact of it myself yet. That being said, I do understand that the console industry in Japan is not what it used to be and when that happens the priorities of these big console makers will change, and that makes perfect sense to me.
Some people still doesn't understand that...