• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For fucks sake, add gyro so it can be considered standard across all the major platforms.

It sadly would never be considered that now since I never released "as standard" with it.

I'm all for a refresh that incorporated haptics and triggers though. But it's always going to be an optional peripheral now. Which makes it even tougher to get Devs to incorporate it's features which is already an uphill battle as it is.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
You would think modern haptics and gyro would have already been added to the Xbox controller. Hopefully it happens.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Maybe it'll get implemented in a premium model. I don't see it being offered as a third SKU between base and premium though.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I want the cool DualSense features, but I also want a comfortable controller.

DualSense isn't comfortable? I have 4 controllers - DS4, DualSense, Xbox One Controller and Switch Pro and for me, DualSense is the most comfortable.... I guess it varies from person to person.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Personally, I don't care much, but at the same time it would be great to see those features be natively implemented into the Xinput feature set which means that those who want it can use it

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It sadly would never be considered that now since I never released "as standard" with it.

I'm all for a refresh that incorporated haptics and triggers though. But it's always going to be an optional peripheral now. Which makes it even tougher to get Devs to incorporate it's features which is already an uphill battle as it is.
Maybe, but I think baking the gyro API into every major platform makes it much more enticing. It's already optional in most games where it's included.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I think it's a subtle improvement for the games I've tried, but even a subtle improvement is a pretty big deal since the controller is the core thing you interact with.

And there will be some cool uses of it for sure from a more gimmicky standpoint. The use of a combo of the speaker + haptics in Astro does some really fun stuff. An open world with cool directional haptics/sound effects near rivers, waterfalls, for inclement weather, etc. would just be.. well.. fun... gimmicky? Sure; but still really cool.
I'll admit that Astro does a good job of introducing the technology. I like what I played, but it just doesn't blow me away. As for the gimmick, I think a lot of people will call things a gimmick until it is widely adopted, and rightfully so. I don't think that haptics is a gimmick at all because of the potential benefits.

It's not like 3D TVs where you can only do so much with that technology so I would call that a gimmick. Haptics has the potential to do much more and grow in many different ways. I hope Microsoft tackles the technology along with Sony. With two powerhouse companies backing the tech, it will get better faster.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'll admit that Astro does a good job of introducing the technology. I like what I played, but it just doesn't blow me away. As for the gimmick, I think a lot of people will call things a gimmick until it is widely adopted, and rightfully so. I don't think that haptics is a gimmick at all because of the potential benefits.

It's not like 3D TVs where you can only do so much with that technology so I would call that a gimmick. Haptics has the potential to do much more and grow in many different ways. I hope Microsoft tackles the technology along with Sony. With two powerhouse companies backing the tech, it will get better faster.
I'm calling specific uses of haptics gimmicky; not all of haptics. And I don't mean it as some big insult; a gimmick is something clever meant to attract attention. Some uses of haptics will have that sort of nature; and I'm saying I think they will be enjoyable.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
For the love of everything, please, let's put aside console warring and tribalism and get behind standardizing cool new controller features. Controllers should keep evolving. We're not at "peak controller" yet.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I hope they don't include that. Always turn every kind of rumble in my controllers off and gyro never felt comfortable.

What ever they would spend including that, I'd rather see them spend on either better build quality, longer battery or a cheaper price.
If anything, adding a gyroscope would cost literal pennies on Microsoft's end. Hell, I'm surprised they didn't add it in already.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Don't have an Xbox anymore but I'd love these features on PC/Windows
Please add them Microsoft

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'd be happy with Gyro and the linear actuators, I'm not as fussed about the trigger pressure stuff based upon what I've seen so far

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Gyro aiming, yes, easily broken analog triggers, no...
I want the haptics. Keep them shitty triggers, I'm good with the impulse.
This. I really disliked adaptive triggers on my cousin's controller and wouldn't want to play with them. Haptics and gyro would be nice.

Adaptive triggers - if used well in a game - really are the best part, IMO. And they are not shitty nor do we know they "break easily" because of a few anecdotal issues.

For the love of everything, please, let's put aside console warring and tribalism and get behind standardizing cool new controller features. Controllers should keep evolving. We're not at "peak controller" yet.

No. If it's on the other platform, it's shitty. For example, if you are on the PS side, Quick Resume sucks and no one needs it because you want to play one game at a time anyway. If you're on the Xbox side, Adaptive Triggers suck and break easily. Follow the rules.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I want the features, because the DualSense is awesome and I was disappointed when we as a community learned that there is a 2018 patent by Microsoft that's similar to the DualSense. I wish Xbox would've used the patent and made the controller more innovative. But better now than never and hopefully MS decides to revision the controller.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
First of all, the pool of people who have extensively used both systems is a super small sample size.

However, as one of those people. my two cents:

As an Xbox guy since almost the very start, about 19 years, I prefer offset sticks and the Xbox form factor. I've been a DS hater. Flatout. The DualSense is the first PS controller I like. Finally has the right size and heft - if I could have an offset stick version, I'd be down. Like I hated the cheap, light, toy-like DS3, but the 4 was better and the Dual Sense is much improved.

However, I still find the DSense gimmicky. The triggers are cool when used sparingly. I HATE the speaker. That gets turned off ASAP. I also don't like the light bars, but whatever. Don't look down. The big mid-button is fine, but I think it's too big and pushes the side menu buttons to weird locations. But that's minor and subjective.

The haptic is cool when used for effect. When it's like Astro's Playroom, I find it exhausting. It's just turned up to 11, 110% of the time. Just too much; It's ALWAYS going. The individual ideas are cool enough, but no game should use it that much. I get it's a tech demo, so that's fine. But most games should not be using it full throttle like that. I find it jarring when it's heavily implemented, like on the bow and arrow parts of Astro, but I'm sure that'll become more comfortable when it's gotten used to.

I've been bouncing back and forth between the X and PS5 daily, within gaming sessions even, and I have to say that I miss Quick Resume way more than I miss the extra-special rumble.

Having said all that, I'm fine if Xbox implements stuff so that's an industry standard, as long as I can turn it off (like the damn speaker) and play effectively. I also hope Sony copies Xbox stuff, like Quick Resume and Smart Delivery - fixes the weak battery and their f'ed up storage situation so everyone gets the best of everything no matter where they play.

I still think either Xbox making a non-offset stick version or Sony making an offset version would be a killer way to expand their marketshare of controllers. Give people the option. Sony could get me to play a non-free or non-exclusive game on their platform (and sell me accessories) if I could get the sticks in the right spot.

Last thought: Both new consoles are so bonkers great IMO. I could not be a happier console-centric gamer right now.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Fully support Dual Sense on Windows in the meantime Microsoft! Just do it! Make it so it's easy for developers to use it's features.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine that if we had a normal lead up to release, with shows you could go hands on with DualSense pre-release, MS would copy it even faster.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
If anything, adding a gyroscope would cost literal pennies on Microsoft's end. Hell, I'm surprised they didn't add it in already.
Even "pennies" can cost millions in a mass production product. Don't get me wrong, I want a more innovative Xbox controller. But it's not that easy and companies do make sacrifices in some parts, as you can see with basically all consoles ever. Be it Wifi, USB, controller, quality of the products/parts (plastic for example) or something else entirely.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
So is literally any new hardware feature. Like the thumb sticks. We should've stuck to d-pad and two buttons. Fact. Common sense.
Or you weigh the value it generates against the additional chance of failure and make a decision based on that. My decision is that it's not worth the risk. It's not transformative enough to warrant the additional complexity. I'd prefer not having an extra gimmick that could break causing the controller to not work correctly in games that use it when the gimmick doesn't add anything functionally to the controls.

goku01899

Oct 29, 2017
Only if the quality of the components can be assured. Quality control has fallen off a cliff this past gen. I've had too many controllers with issues (sticky dpads, the unresponsive 'a' button, loose rubber grips, broken and unresponsive bumpers.)

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do it as a controller between Base and the Elite controller. Give people the option if they want it, don't force it.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Or you weigh the value it generates against the additional chance of failure and make a decision based on that. My decision is that it's not worth the risk. It's not transformative enough to warrant the additional complexity.

Fair enough, but I'd say the majority of users see the value. Just out of curiosity, have you actually tried them out?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
So is literally any new hardware feature. Like the thumb sticks. We should've stuck to d-pad and two buttons. Less points of failure. Fact.

But I asked you how do you know they will break or weaken over time?
Jesus. I just explained this and didn't state my opinion. if you ask me, the potential of failure shouldn't matter and I want Xbox version of the DualSense. Perhaps even some stuff done differently, so both companies push themselves.
I imagine that if we had a normal lead up to release, with shows you could go hands on with DualSense pre-release, MS would copy it even faster.
MS was aware of PS plans or had their own DualSense version on paper without knowing anything since 2018. There is a patent that dates back to the days.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Yup

And I have no issue with MS copying Sony

Sony themselves have done it before

Also it means more third party developers would use the features if they were on both consoles

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
It's anecdotal, obviously, but there's been several comments in threads on Era of people with broken DSense triggers already. I'll see if I can find them...

I've seen the thread. As you said: it's anecdotal until proven otherwise. I could tell you that my work perfectly, but that's also anecdotal and carries the same weight.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Even "pennies" can cost millions in a mass production product. Don't get me wrong, I want a more innovative Xbox controller. But it's not that easy and companies do make sacrifices in some parts, as you can see with basically all consoles ever. Be it Wifi, USB, controller, quality of the products/parts (plastic for example) or something else entirely.
The point is that just adding a gyroscope wouldn't increase the price of the controller on our end.