• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Just for the RE:3 talk, M-Two were the directors of the project, K2 was the lead developer. I know that's a bit confusing, and that's not 100% correct... the development was a bit more that different teams handled different portions of the game, IE one team would handle a boss fight or section of the game, another team would handle another. K2 handled the most sections so they could be considered the "lead", buuuut M-Two were the creative leads and made the calls, and Tatsuya Minami was the project lead (he's from M-Two).

Given I think many are a bit too hard on RE:3, but hey, what have you.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yeah, RE4 is still fantastic, so being as faithful as possible kind of seems a bit pointless to be honest. RE4HD on PC is giving the game more than enough of a visual overhaul to keep it relevent.

Let's have a remake that isn't so worried about being faithful. It's not like RE4 is going to be replaced by the remake. I trust the team behind the RE2 remake to make a worthy RE4 remake.

Oct 27, 2017
Just for the RE:3 talk, M-Two were the directors of the project, K2 was the lead developer. I know that's a bit confusing, and that's not 100% correct... the development was a bit more that different teams handled different portions of the game, IE one team would handle a boss fight or section of the game, another team would handle another. K2 handled the most sections so they could be considered the "lead", buuuut M-Two were the creative leads and made the calls, and Tatsuya Minami was the project lead (he's from M-Two).

Given I think many are a bit too hard on RE:3, but hey, what have you.
That would make sense.

REmake 3 was very uneven so knowing different developers did different sections of the game I can understand why we got what we got.

I wish we got something better though...

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my take on it.
Because RE8 is already VERY similar to RE4 in terms of setting and mechanics, they are avoiding doing a 1:1 remake, for fear on being too similar to RE8. I won't be surprised at all if they change a lot of the locations in REmake 4.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wow lol

Good sign that Capcom cares about quality control although unsurprising since RE4 is basically their crown jewel. Can't afford to fuck this one up.

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my take on it.
Because RE8 is already VERY similar to RE4 in terms of setting and mechanics, they are avoiding doing a 1:1 remake, for fear on being similar too RE8. I won't be surprised at all if they change a lot of the locations in REmake 4.
They should have done remake 0 and CV instead. Then after four years they remake 4 and it would feel fresh again

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why people are blaming RE3 on M-Two when they had four people on it. 1 game designer, no directors. By comparison, Capcom had 168 developers, including 3 directors (Yasuhiro Seto, Yasuhiro Anpo, Yukio Ando) and two designers, Not including localization, management, QA, promotion or other credits.

M-Two is indeed listed as Main Creative Staff, but they are listed as such alongside 13 other companies and four independent contractors. K2, the first company listed as Main Creative Staff, had 49 developers on RE3, including six game designers (the most of any credited party). Redworks had six, including one game designer. The independent contractors include project manager Eiro Shirahama (director of The Legend of Korra and TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan), two designers, and main director Kiyohiko Sakata.

www.mobygames.com

Resident Evil 3 credits (Windows, 2020) - MobyGames

The official game credits for Resident Evil 3 released on Windows in 2020. The credits include 908 people.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Very happy to hear it's going to be quite different to the original.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my take on it.
Because RE8 is already VERY similar to RE4 in terms of setting and mechanics, they are avoiding doing a 1:1 remake, for fear on being similar too RE8. I won't be surprised at all if they change a lot of the locations in REmake 4.
I will not say too much, but you're a little more right than you may realize. There's been some back and forth on the RE8-RE4 similarities, I know many have the mindset that "Oh, they must be sharing assets and greenlit because of one another," which outwardly that's how it would appear to be. But in actuality that's not what happened. It was more a case both projects came to their own separately (Village was initially RE8, then was cast off to not be mainline for a big part of its production, then it turned out they had something amazing on their hands and it became mainline again due to some other circumstances as well), while RE:4 was greenlit due to some people who were involved/interested, but some of that kinda fell apart, but they decided to go forward with it.

Capcom definitely don't want people to think RE:4 & RE8 are the same game or too similar, they've actively done a lot of things to try and differentiate them. That's all I'll say on this topic, but the 1:1 remake stuff isn't just based on that, I guess the best way to explain it is RE:2, the reimagining was to capture the "essence" of RE:2 for a modern audience rather than 1:1 remake the same game. This is very similar, how to capture the essence of RE4 for a modern audience.

This is the most I'm saying on this though. Ultimately I hope they manage to make a game that can fit the big shoes they're trying to fill.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I thought RE2 struck a decent balance between feeling fresh and keeping in line with the source material. RE3 goes all over the place, but what might be the bigger issue is that what they did have generally felt undercooked.

RE4 is a pretty big, diverse game with a lot of environments and set pieces and that's a big part of its appeal. Hopefully they're going to get enough time to be faithful to that, at least in spirit, and won't hack out big chunks or make it "overly condensed" in order to get it out on schedule.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Every RE has some stupid mess of a story. The reason it works is the characters and lore.

RE7 is the first real good story IMO.

Yup. The Baker family was an incredibly engaging and interesting part of the story and for once I was interested in a RE story lol

How dare you. How very dare you.

Leon Kennedy travelling to a Spanish village to rescue the kidnapped daughter of the US President from a weird cult that worships parasites that a vertically challenged nobleman found to appease a crazy monk that wants to take over the world is a totally awesome story and I won't accept any slander.

Lol I'm sorry senpai. That said I played this game on every single platform it was released on, it'a one of my favorite games of all time. I enjoyed the story over the years but with every playthrough I just realize more and more how dumb as shit this story is lol I will always have fond memories of it but just...I'm down for a change.

Nah, it's the best and most charming story from any Resident Evil game. Any change they make to the story or dialogue could only make the game objectively worse.

I don't think anyone can say that objectively before we know what they changed lol RE4 as it is will always exist and it's playable on all modern platforms. There is no need, at all for RE4R to follow the original.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
A version of RE4 that is different to the well aged original is preferable to a faifull remake as the original masterpiece already exists. RE games also go though internal reboots all the time. So I am not even surprised and my hype level remains the same. A solid anount of hype. Now about a REmake of CVX...

Oct 27, 2017
The original RE4 is the closest thing to gaming perfection in my eyes, a 1:1 remake would be boring IMO.

Personally, I'd like to see the team putting their own twist to the RE4 formula. They could make the combat more fast-paced. Move and shoot + dodging. I'd like to see the village being expanded and the Island part being shortened to a series of memorable encounters. They could also make Verdugo a mini Mr.X enemy where you must activate the elevator to the mines while avoiding it.

I'll be there day 1 regardless. Best of luck to the dev team

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
It makes sense, honestly. RE3 Remake is a great action game. It's a terrible remake, though.

It's okay to change things, but RE3 had so much cut content I definitely don't think fans would be pleased if RE4 remake took the same approach.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with it, don't want want a 1:1 remake as RE4 is easily available to me. Playing it again with just a new coat of paint would be a novelty at best.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Dusk Golem Was re4 planned for 2022? I always imagined its a 2023 title at earliest. Is it really getting rebooted? If so, isnt 2024 a safer bet? Also, isnt cap div 1 working on itsuno's new game?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE3R was miserable, so any less of those involved is good news to me.

That said I don't really want a RE4 remake anyway.

hamster1998

May 8, 2020
Can someone explain to me one thing. Who what's the changes and who wants the 1 to 1 remake? I'm fine with changes as long as it's like re2

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Good and bad

Good because the RE4 Remake will get the time and attention it deserves and M2 won't disappoint like they did with RE3

Bad because that takes people away from other Capcom projects

As if Capcom could have a more important project than a Resident Evil 4 remake, arguably their best and most important game ever

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'd rather a straight up remaster in a modern engine than radical changes to the games design and story. RE4 is so good, one of the best games ever, don't fuck with it too much.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
RE4 went though 4 versions before we go the game we got. There is no way anyone could write a design doc and do just that from start to finish. The original is simply too complex a work. Even it´s incoherent aspects are important to the whole. That said, RE8 isn´t that similar to the RE4 we got. But I do expect the RE7 bolt cutters to show up again. Who doesn´t? I also wonder how the game will deal with Ashley. A relic from a different time.
fl63u1stpps41.jpg

A 1 to 1 remake also exists:

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'd say it's a good thing a more experienced team is taking the lead on it now. I think at this point I'll just be happy if they make a good game that's a decent length and has a nice amount of content.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
RE4 went though 4 versions before we go the game we got. There is no way anyone could write a design doc and do just that from start to finish. The original is simply too complex a work. Even it´s incoherent aspects are important to the whole. That said, RE8 isn´t that similar to the RE4 we got. But I do expect the RE7 bolt cutters to show up again. Who doesn´t? I also wonder how the game will deal with Ashley. A relic from a different time.
fl63u1stpps41.jpg
use the bolt cutters to free the doggo

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much a "less faithful" RE4 remake would have in common with RE8. They already cover a lot of the same ground, I'd imagine gutting RE4 and modernizing it would only make them even more similar. Really curious to see what they do. Especially with the combat. Shooting melee weapons out of enemies hands in the RE8 footage looked worse than original RE4, but you see they're still at least trying to diversify.

Remakes are weird.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe REmake 4 will bring back Hookman and aspects/settings from previous RE4 builds

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Dusk Golem Was re4 planned for 2022? I always imagined its a 2023 title at earliest. Is it really getting rebooted? If so, isnt 2024 a safer bet? Also, isnt cap div 1 working on itsuno's new game?
Q4 FY 2022 going by the Capcom leak. So early 2023. I myself saw this power point. Or whatever it was.
gamerant.com

Multiple New Resident Evil Projects Leaked

The recent cyberattack on Capcom reveals the codenames and release windows of several unannounced, in-development Resident Evil projects,

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I just hope they don't make it first person, now that the new games are first person. I doubt they would, but I'm just saying it out loud.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
The problem with R3make wasn't that it was was not 1:1 faithful but that it did not expand on what the OG tried to do thematically.

Not sayi g that this is happening here but why is it so hard for companies to understand customer feedback

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
At first I was happy then I read Capcom is forcing more changes... Nah I'm good I'll wait until the game is revealed after RE3 and even 2 to some extent they shouldn't be making so many changes imo.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Div 1 are working on a bunch of games rn. RE8 and Pragmata confirmed, RE4 and DD2 rumored (plus more). Capcom has been hiring like crazy over the years. They have a 10 year plan to hire 1000 people from 2015 to 2025, and they want to release multiple major titles a year. They have the manpower.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Just to remind everybody. There will be a single player RE game between RE8 and REmake 4. So there is time to think over all sorts of things and have fun with a fully new game in the meantime even if we know next to nothing about it. Outside of it likely having a reduced budget. Which is fine. The sky hasn´t fallen yet.
Capcpom will one day come back, but not yet.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Every RE has some stupid mess of a story. The reason it works is the characters and lore.

RE7 is the first real good story IMO.
I haven't played the OG RE2, but Claire's route in RE2R was a pretty damn solid story, with really good, character-centric justifications for moving her from section to section, culminating in that badass scene where Claire makes the decision to drop down into the pit and put herself between Birkin and Annette/Sherry.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Maybe REmake 4 will bring back Hookman and aspects/settings from previous RE4 builds

Heck if they did that might as well make a new game based on that, I would pay a ton of money to play exactly what was shown with modem graphics so yeah I would be interested in something similar

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they not put their A team on this project from the start? RE4 is one of the most beloved games in their entire catalogue, you would think of all the remakes they want to get absolutely right, this would be it.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
There's very little point in a 1:1 remake imo, the original is perfectly fine technically. I'd like to see changes and refinements.