• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If it's Bluepoint doing MGS, I trust they can do a great job with a remake that brings MGS1 up to moder gameplay standards while maintaining its identity. That's what I'd like to see. I replayed MGS1 a few years ago and it holds up well, but if it were remade then it deserves the modernized visuals and gameplay treatment imo.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there reason to believe that Konami is going to produce a good game? People name all these top studios but the Konami from recent years seems like they'd be happy to give this some third rate dev and a small budget

Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure why people think Bluepoint can't do an overhauled gameplay for a potential MGS remake.

If you look at their history with remasters and remake the next step would be a reimagining. They started doing remasters of MGS, Uncharted, Ico/SoTC then they moved on to SoTC and DS remakes. Next step is obvious.

Not to mention, they got lots of talented developers that worked on original games and they got the rest of Sony backing them if the rumor that Sony is buying them is true.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Awwww yeah here we go
tokimeki-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Last edited:

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there reason to believe that Konami is going to produce a good game? People name all these top studios but the Konami from recent years seems like they'd be happy to give this some third rate dev and a small budget

When has Konami outsourced their games to big developers? They have a history of just outsourcing their IPs to companies who actually lack a pedigree even making games similar to the IPs they get. Platinum and Metal Gear was the exception, not the norm.

I really have to wonder why people think "oh man this good top tier developer is going to get this IP to work on" when they've shoved Silent Hill through the mud so frequently people only ever cared again because they saw the words "Hideo Kojima" tailored to a demo.

They're even underballing it now. Castlevania was given to two mobile game studios and one of those games died not even half a year in. But apparently it's time for FromSoftware to make a Castlevania game? What the fuck?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
one of these day's we'll see a big gun "outsource" a la the sony/silent hill thing but with their current business model i dunno what's in it for them particularly

MGS, contra, Goeman, castlevania ect .. we all hold them dear to our heart but what does it mean to them if they divvy up the pie to somebody else. these aren't evergreen IPs

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What developer

1. Is independent
2. Is not working on their own super successful IP
3. Has the manpower to make Metal Gear Solid 6
4. Has the genre experience to make MGS6
5. Is willing to suffer the constant hate and derision that will be showered on them from all internet posters and press people for doing this.

I'm not sure there's a dev that even fulfills 1, 2, and 3 out there right now...

IO Interactive?

I'm not sure they would be the right fit, but they would fit within 1-3.

I'm sure if Konami shopped around, one of the platform holders would love to cooperate on an exclusive MGS. A remake or revival would be huge with the right budget and team.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IO Interactive?

I'm sure if Konami shopped around, one of the platform holders would love to cooperate on an exclusive MGS. A remake or revival would be huge with the right budget and team.
IO Interactive is already working on a game with a super successful IP and that's the 007 Bond license

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I wonder if Kojima would be interested. MGS games probably sold more than DS. No offense. I bought the game and... yeah...I want mgs back please. Any of them. Even mgs4 😅

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
IO Interactive?

IO Interactive is working on James Bond now, so it's not their IP, but I imagine they are pretty busy.

I wonder why be secretive about who they're outsourcing it to?

If it's anything like Dusk's info (and it sounds like it is, if not the same sources just based on the wording), it sounds like they just don't know. Only one leaker/insider has ever actually committed that they 100% know/believe it's Sony Japan, and everyone else has never been willing to out and out confirm that or the identity of this mysterious 'prominent Japanese dev.'

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I guess my only question is can Fromsoftware do fun 3D platforming? Obviously SOTN made platforming challenges less of a essential aspect of Castlevania but I think fun platforming challenges would go a long way towards differentiating a Fromsoftware developed Castlevania from their past works. I mean, I don't just want another Fromsoftware game but with a Castlevania skin over it.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
If CastleVania were to be outsourced, I'd like for it to actually play like a CastleVania game which means platforming segments intermixed with action, this why I don't think From Software would be suited to handle it. Turning Castlevania in just another Souls game is NOT Castlevania.

Sharing the setting and some themes is one thing, but gameplay and mechanics they couldn't be any further different from each other.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Mediocre on the stealth front?? L ok...

Realistically, these people watched a video of the game at best. Using the word "mediocre" to describe anything about TLOU2, especially how intense and incredible the stealth gameplay is, smells fishy to me. Yea yea, opinions and all that, but we are talking gameplay here, not the story or characters or whatever else people choose to complain about. Gameplay is more objective than that stuff and I simply don't believe someone who thinks it's mediocre, especially when referencing ND's older games to support their claim.
I beat the game and I have the trophy to prove it. But of course anyone who doesn't like a game you liked must be "fishy" and a liar.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess my only question is can Fromsoftware do fun 3D platforming? Obviously SOTN made platforming challenges less of a essential aspect of Castlevania but I think fun platforming challenges would go a long way towards differentiating a Fromsoftware developed Castlevania from their past works. I mean, I don't just want another Fromsoftware game but with a Castlevania skin over it.
I am sure they can.

Assuming they do make a metroidvania, they are already halfway there. Something closer to Sekiro but with the obvious Castlevania stuff like platforming, secret items and stuff like that would be a true Castlevania game.

Sekiro showed that they can make fun traversal. A next level one with skill based platforming would be great.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
So this lends credence to the rumors of new games coming and being revealed soon. Who knows about the whole Sony angle, but I'm just excited to get these games back.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If CastleVania were to be outsourced, I'd like for it to actually play like a CastleVania game which means platforming segments intermixed with action, this why I don't think From Software would be suited to handle it. Turning Castlevania in just another Souls game is NOT Castlevania.

Sharing the setting and some themes is one thing, but gameplay and mechanics they couldn't be any further different from each other.

Platinum is a better fit for Castlevania than FromSoft. Tone down the bombast and put it in a more gothic setting and you have an action game with a fast enough tempo to fit Castlevania. Only one game in the entire series has a stamina bar and that filled up fast. All of From's dark fantasy games are slow, plodding dungeon crawlers if you look at their catalog at large. They're immersive for the intricacies in that direction, and that is not a direction Castlevania ever really focused on. In fact, the games closest to that tone was the N64 era, an era people incorrectly say as a period of proof Castlevania can never work in 3D. Even the "Igavania" games could still be played like a level based game if you knew the exact areas and order you should tackle the castle.

I really have to wonder how much of the FromSoft stanning camp here actually wants a Castlevania game or just more Bloodborne and are using the IP to retrofit their desires, similarly to what happened with the Lords of Shadow reboot trying to shape the IP into a direct God of War substitute. A lot of what people are wanting with this combination seems to be because they want something "alike" another franchise altogether. I know the thirst for a Bloodborne 2 is real, but even platforming in Sekiro felt weak, and that's a core feature of Castlevania. Sekiro already felt like a game that was awkwardly sandwiched between starting as a Tenchu game and having to adopt the permadeath system of the Soulsborne games even if parts of the game clearly show the narrative structure doesn't account for the gameplay systems. We're going to have currency and experience be one system in a Castlevania game?

Oct 27, 2017
If you look at their history with remasters and remake the next step would be a reimagining. They started doing remasters of MGS, Uncharted, Ico/SoTC then they moved on to SoTC and DS remakes. Next step is obvious.
That's not a trend...they did remasters because those were collections and remakes because those were singular games. That isn't evidence or even a trend pointing to anything more

Oct 25, 2017
I would rather get MGS6 than MGS remake.
Honestly don't even do MGS6,
Remake MG1 and MG2 if that is successful drop the MGS/Kojima baggage and just make Metal Gear 3 as a separate branch.
Ghost Babel(Gameboy) already did that as well.
gives you the basics(Big Boss, Snake, Campbell, Grey Fox) but basically cuts clones, Venom and all that extraness out.
You could even reuse MGS1 elements in different ways like Liquid and Sniper Wolf being "good guys" with Foxhound

Oct 27, 2017
That's not a trend...they did remasters because those were collections and remakes because those were singular games. That isn't evidence or even a trend pointing to anything more
I believe bluepoint themselves said they are taking on bigger and bigger projects in the DF interview. When they say bigger I assume they are taking more challenging projects.

A re imagining is way harder than DS style remake.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Suikoden would be worthless without the original writers, and they're not coming back. Leave it dead.

Murayama wants to do it. If Eiyuden is a success, there's no better chance. It can lay dormant for now.

What developer

1. Is independent
2. Is not working on their own super successful IP
3. Has the manpower to make Metal Gear Solid 6
4. Has the genre experience to make MGS6
5. Is willing to suffer the constant hate and derision that will be showered on them from all internet posters and press people for doing this.

I'm not sure there's a dev that even fulfills 1, 2, and 3 out there right now...

KojiPro and Remedy.

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Koji is possible but kinda lulz after everything, who knows though.
Remedy is in a publishing deal with EPIC, working on a AAA game and then they will make a small scale game in the same universe as the first one, possible, but I guess it would be(at least) after the first game, and while they make very good shooters I don't recall them having any experience with stealth focused games(one of the points of the poster you are quoting to).

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I would preferred a new interpretation of MG and MG2 Solid Snake rather than trying to make MGS compatible with modern gameplay.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Please outsource Castlevania to Kojima's team and give me Lord of Shadows 3

Thanks

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
What is happening....and I was just thinking some of us might be going crazy because no new games info has been dropped lately.

Now this.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand the premise using Contra: Rogue Corps as an example? It was also outsourced.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Clearly, now's the time for Konami to outsource Castlevania to us to make a turn-based, party-based gothic/horror JRPG. :)

Also, why would FROM want to make a Castlevania when they could just make another Dark Souls (or spin-off) game that would probably sell better than any Castlevania and they'd own the IP themselves and not have to pay royalties to Konami.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Do I even dare to dream of a FROM Castlevania?

I don't understand this mindset. Why is it so prevalent in the thread? Bloodborne already exists. Why would From take a gig developing Konami's IP for them when they could just...make another Bloodborne?

Clearly, now's the time for Konami to outsource Castlevania to us to make a turn-based, party-based gothic/horror JRPG. :)

Also, why would FROM want to make a Castlevania when they could just make another Dark Souls (or spin-off) game that would probably sell better than any Castlevania and they'd own the IP themselves and not have to pay royalties to Konami.

My thoughts exactly. It doesn't benefit FROM to work on an IP that's less popular than their recent hits.

Sep 23, 2018
I have visions of a MGS1 and 2 remakes made in the same style as Remake 2 and 3.
Remake with major modernisations to gameplay, and more than likely a change of camera perspective. I'm trying to stop myself from envisaging an RE engine-like Shadow Moses.
Goddam.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
sony needs to step up and buy some IPs(or konami?)..MS got soo many from that zenimax purchase.

Jan 11, 2018
I don't understand this mindset. Why is it so prevalent in the thread? Bloodborne already exists. Why would From take a gig developing Konami's IP for them when they could just...make another Bloodborne?

BloodBorne is my least favorite FROM game (still liked it though). Bloodborne is not Castlevania, and to this day there is still not a great 3D Castlevania game, and I think FROM would make an amazing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.