• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather not have developers like From Software or Team Cherry be chained down by old franchises. They're more inventive than that and would probably rather do their own thing anyways.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
People think of Castle Cainhurst when they argue for a FromSoft Castlevania. Do they forget their games have next to no platforming and Dark Souls straight up has one of the worst whips presented in any 3D game?

You seem to assume From couldn't implement platforming and design a whip that would be faithful to series. I don't see why if they took on the project they wouldn't consult with developers and designers of the 2D series of games.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Great news. A whole generation of fans grew up play these games. Time to pass the baton.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So... does Konami outsource these games to the developers who originally worked on them, but now externally? Konami clearly isn't interested in internally developing a lot of console video games now, but licensing its IPs back to their original devs seems to possibly be a viable option as long as Konami's own money isn't on the line.

I'm pretty sure Bluepoint is doing a MGS 1 Remake:

1. We know they were developing a game other than Demon's Souls.
2. Sony is producing a movie of the franchise.
3. They put mysterious sounds of mechs in their latest work.
4. Lots of Rumors pointing the same.
I still don't think it's happening because MGS1 isn't suited to a Bluepoint-style remake. Honestly, It's aged too much.

If MGS1 got a remake it would have to be more like RE2, where they completely redo the gameplay in a more modern, 3D form. MGS1 was basically a top-down 2D game rendered in polygons. Its whole game logic is built on the same systems as Metal Gear 2 on the MSX. Something like that would honestly look goofy on modern PS5 graphics. Twin Snakes has already proven that more modern mechanics like first-person aiming can completely break that 1998 level design (which is really derived from 1990 level design).

And Blueoint hasn't made any remakes where it substantially reworks anything. All of Bluepoints works so far have been games where the core gameplay hasn't aged too much at all. Colossus and Demon's Souls have totally redone graphics but gameplay that's 1:1 with their original versions. MGS1 doesn't hold up well enough for that approach. It might hold up well enough for fans who were there, but not for anyone playing it for the first time today.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Really don't trust anyone but Koji Pro or Bluepoint(with a remake) to touch MGS, but ok.

Naughty Dog could pull it off as far as stealth-action systems & gameplay go, but their style of narrative/worldbuilding isn't exactly suited to MGS tier bat-shittery. I don't need a harrowing tale of Snake's battle with PTSD.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
If Nintendo gets the rights to Silent Hill, I wanna see a Silent Hill Game by Next Level Games staring Luigi some sort of Luigi's Mansion x Silent hill cross over. (Throw in some crazy casltevania stuff to make it more crazy with stealth elements, what the heck make Snake be Luigi's Otacon)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Bluepoint is doing a MGS 1 Remake:

1. We know they were developing a game other than Demon's Souls.
2. Sony is producing a movie of the franchise.
3. They put mysterious sounds of mechs in their latest work.
4. Lots of Rumors pointing the same.

There are no mech sounds in Demon's Souls.

Nov 2, 2018
It's simply nowhere even close when compared to literally any stealth-heavy franchise. Thief, Hitman, MGS, Splinter Cell, Dishonored, Deus Ex... It's a great game for just about literally every other reason you could think of but that.

Let's get into it then

All you need to look at is how smooth and seamless the transition is between stealth, getting caught, chase/action, back to stealth.

For me it's the first ever stealth game that doesn't feel like game over when you get caught.

No need to spam quick save in Dishonored.

No need to go on a massacre run in Hitman because you messed up once and don't want to wrestle with the sub par controls

No need to...just fucking die in Splinter Cell after a few seconds.

No need to see a robotic, three stage, alert, caution phase on a literal god damn timer like in MGS before all is magically forgiven

And before anyone answers with this isn't important in a stealth game, that the fact that the transition is not only not important, but not literally integral to stealth games I say

Why do people hate insta fail stealth design? Why not just have plentiful check points and you lose when you're discovered. Uncharted 2 much.

Designers have been trying to crack this nut since stealth games were invented and Part 2 nailed it.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I did paid attention, besides the marketing deal rumour, nothing more points that everything will be a Sony game.

And what the fuck is "checks post history"? What are you implying?

Not implying anything. Haven't seen you posting in the SH Community thread and I assume you haven't been following it since your observations on the rumors seem off and, frankly, defensive. So you'd be forgiven for not connecting with the roller coaster of 'insider info' *coughs* that's been going down. I'm just trying to help you get up to speed, friend.

Oct 27, 2017
Please no. His performance in Peace Walker was dogshit, give him a cameo appearance as a genome soldier and move on.

2d2.jpg

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Personally I would love to see Mercurysteam get another crack at 3d Castlevania. Lords of Shadow 1 and 2 were both incredibly fun and enjoyable games despite also being pretty flawed, but they still had a generally great Castlevania feel to them and were incredibly unique games.

I also can't really think of any devs that could really pull off a 2d Metroidvania style Castlevania game other than the Bloodstained team, but something tells me that he probably wants to focus on Bloodstained now.

Also I can't really imagine a 2D Castlevania game without Michiru Yamane doing the OST, but uh... I don't really want her coming back...

Oct 8, 2019
From Software Bloodborne style Castlevania game

The vast majority of Castlevania monsters are fair use, so the only difference between Bloodborne and Castlevania is some person having the last name of Belmont

I mean the entire original idea of Castlevania was to basically make a video game based on the Universal Monster movies.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do people just want a Bluepoint MGS remake because they want it with better graphics? Because that's what it would be

Many would yes, the Twin Snakes isn't a good remake and even it's dated graphically.

Personally I'd much rather have MGS3 remade. Add in a crouch button, some quality of life changes and it would be the GOAT.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the rumors about Bluepoint developing MGS are most likely true imo

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
So... does Konami outsource these games to the developers who originally worked on them, but now externally? Konami clearly isn't interested in internally developing a lot of console video games now, but licensing its IPs back to their original devs seems to possibly be a viable option as long as Konami's own money isn't on the line.

I still don't think it's happening because MGS1 isn't suited to a Bluepoint-style remake. Honestly, It's aged too much.

If MGS1 got a remake it would have to be more like RE2, where they completely redo the gameplay in a more modern, 3D form. MGS1 was basically a top-down 2D game rendered in polygons. Its whole game logic is built on the same systems as Metal Gear 2 on the MSX. Something like that would honestly look goofy on modern PS5 graphics. Twin Snakes has already proven that more modern mechanics like first-person aiming can completely break that 1998 level design (which is really derived from 1990 level design).

And Blueoint hasn't made any remakes where it substantially reworks anything. All of Bluepoints works so far have been games where the core gameplay hasn't aged too much at all. Colossus and Demon's Souls have totally redone graphics but gameplay that's 1:1 with their original versions. MGS1 doesn't hold up well enough for that approach. It might hold up well enough for fans who were there, but not for anyone playing it for the first time today.
There's always a first time. Also, Bluepoint has always increased their ambition in every game.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Iga's likely good with minding his business with Bloodstained instead of wanting to work for Konami again.
Of course, mostly just joking. I doubt any former Konami employee would want to work with them again.

Nintendo
Is there a better match?
Nintendo won't even make Metroid in house, so probably not the best match. The best matches for a Metroidvania entry imo would be Team Ladybug, and Game Atelier.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I'll believe this when I actually see a company actually reveal they are working on it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, give Metal Gear Solid to Mimimi. Their work on Shadow Tactics and Desperadoes was stellar, and fit like a glove

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Please no. His performance in Peace Walker was dogshit, give him a cameo appearance as a genome soldier and move on.
Ehh, most of that is on the VO manager and those who oversee recording sessions lol. Hayter's voice and performance abilities likely haven't changed, the inflections and manner in which he uses his voice is guided by the studio and whoever's directing.

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
The vast majority of Castlevania monsters are fair use, so the only difference between Bloodborne and Castlevania is some person having the last name of Belmont

I mean the entire original idea of Castlevania was to basically make a video game based on the Universal Monster movies.
I just want them to make it so i can play a bloodborne game at 60fps ;)

Nov 2, 2018

I've heard this a lot over the years and I do remember Peace Walker being...just awful.

But is that down to voice direction? Hayter does cameo snake voice all the time and while it's not the MGS1 voice some people love, it sounds much closer to MGS3 than Peace Walker to me, I think.

Do people disagree with that, because the MGS3 is good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.