• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Man, everything Crystal Dynamics touches is cursed in some kind of way. The boring TR trilogy, the Avengers game and now this… hopefully it'll turn out good in the end.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
Could work v life balance be componant. Maybe senior staff would be happier to stay on with your studio if they had more time to spend with their families? I know a lot of older devs tend to retire from game dev pretty early because of how cut-throat it is, which I think is a problem for the industry. Maybe if we relaxed working a bit and allowed people to retain their career while also having personal time it would led to less people quitting?

I don't know, I'm just guessing here. Could be for entirely different reasons but I'm sure most agree better work v life balance is a good thing.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
It's not at all out of nowhere. Signals were blaring once CD was brought in, despite insistences that development was all good.
Probably this. It shows the problems with announcing games so early on in development. Just like Everwild, which apparently had development problems as well (which is sad because the first trailer looked absolutely gorgeous).

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
unknown.png

Perfect Dark

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
The dream team couldn't be kept together.

At least they have a cool name and logo still.

Building from the ground up and expecting to ship a platform title must be tough. Previously 343 did it with Halo 4, but specifically recruited for that, right? The Coalition was acquired and renamed.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
After reading this... Credit to those who have managed to run studios for such a long time. It takes an insane amount of effort and the stress takes a toll on you . I'm thinking of Shannon Studstill (left since) and Yumi Yang right now who have ran/run Sony Santa Monica Studios for so long.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Man, everything Crystal Dynamics touches is cursed in some kind of way. The boring TR trilogy, the Avengers game and now this… hopefully it'll turn out good in the end.

I have no idea why people want MS to buy them when the games they make may look nice but leave a lot to be desired in many major areas

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
The dream team couldn't be kept together.

At least they have a cool name and logo still.

Building from the ground up and expecting to ship a platform title must be tough. Previously 343 did it with Halo 4, but specifically recruited for that, right? The Coalition was acquired and renamed.
The Coalation was formed under the name Black Tusk Studio to develop the next big Halo franchise, but they took over Gears after Epic didn't want to do it anymore.
Anyways, I hope they will get the team together and deliver the game they all envisioned.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The only good thing I see is that CD will probably take over and will "soft reboot" the project and make it 3rd person which is really their true expertise.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if MS tried to acquire and expand CD to handle new IPs and continue making PD and TR....Darrell has probably discussed this with Phil.lol

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Seniors leaving because MS are too lenient and they're too used to crunch? That seems like an odd perspective unless I'm misunderstanding.
yeah that feels like cover for the other reports about the studio lead's iron grip on the decision process. Trying to shift the blame to Microsoft not being heavy-handed enough feels like something a heavy-handed studio head would do

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Microsoft has some serious issues in studios management, this is not the first time one of its main studios is plagued by project reboots and keyrole departures (iirc we had similar issues with 343i and Rare's Everwild dev team)

Still hoping that Perfect Dark will turn out good, but it will be a loooong wait

Liquid

Banned
Sep 13, 2021
Seniors leaving because MS are too lenient and they're too used to crunch? That seems like an odd perspective unless I'm misunderstanding.

Games are something that already takes a long time to be finished, nobody with a big background will want to stay in a studio where the project is not moving due to no pressure to be finished, especially when studios with projects in motion are going after senior talent.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Such a shame that the initiative ended up like this. Guess it's hard to start up a new studio, many pitfalls. Hopefully CD will help make this a good project in the end.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How the hell has the Initiative existed as long as it has without shipping a single thing? I feel like I've been hearing about them for eight years now. Like a Perfect Dark sequel can't be that hard to get right, can it?

Now you know why studios are usually bought instead of built from the ground up. Building from the ground up is time consuming and expensive.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize they were only 50 people at the studio, thought they would have been bigger since they made it sound like a big project. Though probably planned for a decent amount of outsourcing even before CD came on board.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
Microsoft has some serious issues in studios management, this is not the first time one of its main studios is plagued by project reboots and keyrole departures (iirc we had similar issues with 343i and Rare's Everwild dev team)

Still hoping that Perfect Dark will turn out good, but it will be a loooong wait

You mention two studios out of 23 lol I think they're ok they were just announced as the best publisher of 2021. Yes 343i and the Everwild team have issues but Rare has also made a mega hit that is SoT and Halo is great though the content shortage is hurting it. I don't think MS has serious issues in management of studios. If they did and their bad managed studios put out games that are rated 85+ and played by 10's of millions I would could that a win.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna get crazy with the amount of teams /divisions at Xbox now idk how Phil is gonna manage all of it lol

I think they'll start consolidating studios eventually, not right away mind you, but probably based on performance and fold some into each other to retain the talent. Granted that'll mean fewer but bigger studios, but I can't imagine what it's going to be like to juggling all those developers. You can only go "hands off" for so long before needing to correct the course every so often.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
User warned: Concern-Trolling
Judging from how Halo Infinite turned out, the reboot of Everwild and now this, It doesn't sound like MS puts in any deadlines/goals to meet. Their games take a notable long time to make compared to Nintendo and Sony.

If developers see that their game is going nowhere or is taking too long, they will leave. And MS is scared of being labeled a crunch studio/publisher to do anything about it. They are fixated on being labeled "the good guys" that its coming to the cost of their games and developers don't care about that. They just want to make games

Naughty Dog is labeled a crunch studio but guess what, they also have the most awarded game ever in their catalog and developers would run to work for them any chance they got.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017

"Not perfect" is putting it mildly. Brad seems to suggest that a "more conservative approach" would be better for retention, but how? By rushing a game into full production? If talent is leaving because of slow progress, I doubt even a single one of them would suggest the solution is to "move faster". It's far more likely that the game simply needs more time before it's ready to ramp up to full production. Talent can leave and go somewhere where their talent is more immediately needed, that doesn't mean they would prefer for them to change their management approach to put more pressure on staff to deliver on impossible deadlines.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
So frustrating as a fan to see this happen time and again at Xbox. Not saying its all the studios, obviously, but its far too frequent seeing projects and teams fumbling.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
Can anyone point to a new studio being built from the ground up and then releasing a AAA title (or quadruple-A in this case) in < 5 years?

It just seems nuts to me. Why not start with a smaller 2 year project, get that confidence in your sails and move onto something much bigger afterwards?

Recipe for disaster.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
And this isn't true, either. Where did you read CD was brought in because the project was having problems?
The culture issue was partly behind the decision to bring onboard Crystal Dynamics, it's claimed, with Gallagher and Neuburger allegedly hoping that production would move more smoothly with the introduction of a second team familiar with their methods.
Unless I'm misreading what's being said here.