• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Uhhhhhhh

Whats the metric for this lmfao. It has almost as many maps as Halo 3, its only really missing forge and coop. Which are scheduled before the year ends.
What? Forge, coop, firefight, playlists, countless game modes, ranked has ONE playlist, no spartan rank, no commendations, no lobbies, theater doesnt work, custom games dont work and is missing half the features. No match composer.. Yes it has almost as many maps but is missing everything else. We had like four game modes at launch and even know it's not much better. There are achievements in the game for game modes that still dont exist.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
What? Forge, coop, firefight, playlists, countless game modes, ranked has ONE playlist, no spartan rank, no commendations, no lobbies, theater doesnt work, custom games dont work and is missing half the features. No match composer.. Yes it has almost as many maps but is missing everything else. We had like four game modes at launch and even know it's not much better. There are achievements in the game for game modes that still dont exist.
No there arent, that was added a while back. Fair on lack of playlists, but its not like the modes arent there in the game already. They just get rotated in and out.

modernist

Jan 13, 2018
Interestingly, some of the worst matches I've played have been on 10ms or less lol.

It's not overblown when considering how many people just stop playing and don't post on forums as to why. All these problems add up.

yeah lol, the server ping in the top corner doesn't really equate to the problems game to game - some matches are smooth, some feel like you're playing .25 seconds behind everyone else.

the desync and it's impact depends a little on which gamemode you regularly play, and I would guess that most people who think the problem is overblown have had more games in normal slayer, LSS, or grab bag style modes. once you play ranked or SWAT where timings on precision weapon duels are very tight you really start to feel the effects of it, but you should know that it's absolutely a routine problem that brings the game down.

high ping matches are also always uniformly bad. I'm a UK player who plays the ranked playlist most days, and the dwindling population of infinite means i'd guess that roughly 1:3 games have me thrown in against US (or maybe EU?) players on their connection where i'm at a disadvantage. it feels absolutely miserable and 343's lack of action to add region-based matchmaking (whilst also patching out IP whitelist workarounds because it broke their creaky architecture) is another damning insight into their current infrastructure for infinite.

as to the topic in general: not shocked they have their staff focused on headline features (that should have been in on day one) rather than this stuff that makes the game often very bad but probably has less effect on retention for a large share of audience. it does damage in the long run though, and hurts the core halo players.

SiamShade

Jul 11, 2020
Given their first-party options for 2022 are weak, I think a delay would be the best for Halo Infinite (and Xbox in general) IMO.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
No there arent, that was added a while back. Fair on lack of playlists, but its not like the modes arent there in the game already. They just get rotated in and out.
Is griffball and infection in the game and being rotated out? You know.. only two of the most popular playlists. No it's not. Have you seen multi team? Team doubles? Headhunters? Regicide? Ricochet? Assault?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Is griffball and infection in the game and being rotated out? You know.. only two of the most popular playlists. No it's not. Have you seen multi team? Team doubles? Headhunters? Regicide? Ricochet? Assault?
... Is this 2 thirds of a Halos entire content slate?

Like even griffball and infection arent as popular as you make it out to be, they are good for like 2 - 4 games before you get tired of it. And theyll be added next update anyway with forge.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Interestingly, some of the worst matches I've played have been on 10ms or less lol.

It's not overblown when considering how many people just stop playing and don't post on forums as to why. All these problems add up.
Just noticed it's a comment regarding the melee desyc and there is definitely something funky going on there. Something expressed by both pros and casual players for sure. Although I don't think it's a massively big contributor to people quitting the game though. But like you said, everything adds up.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
This is not a live service problem, but a studio management one and it shows even in non live service related stuff.
I sort of disagree...regardless of 343's historical trials and tribulations, Infinite is instructive that it had this big, splashy, well-received debut: yeah it was missing a lot of features, but the way it dropped and the baseline quality gave Xbox a LOT of goodwill to rest on.

But the goodwill was burned through much faster than I think anyone expected, and it feels like 343 can't get a handle on any one piece of the puzzle.

I also think there's a difference between 3rd-party and 1st-party live services, but that's harder to articulate. If I had to try, the patience for jank in your typical live service conflicts with the expectation of rock solid high quality associated with 1st party products. Basically, doing live services as a 1st party is going to be harder, and live services are already very hard.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Like even griffball and infection arent as popular as you make it out to be, they are good for like 2 - 4 games before you get tired of it. And theyll be added next update anyway with forge.
I don't think you realize how freaking popular those modes were. Personally I find it hard to accept it as well as I quickly get bored of it as well, but there were large groups of people that were almost exclusively playing infection going as far back as Halo 2. And the amounts of hours people would put into Grifball is just stupid.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do most people care about Infinite co-op? LIke obviously some here do and some of the playerbase, but if you did a poll of the general Halo audience I think it would be really low on the priority list. Did they have to include it because they said they would after Halo 5? Why? It doesn't seem fun or interesting enough to justify the amount of effort at all. And why even implement split-screen?! That seems like an even bigger waste of time considering such a small percentage of players would even try it
I don't think you realize how freaking popular those modes were. Personally I find it hard to accept it as well as I quickly get bored of it as well, but there were large groups of people that were almost exclusively playing infection going as far back as Halo 2. And the amounts of hours people would put into Grifball is just stupid.
The popularity of Infection always seemed to be in Custom Games from what I could tell. Was it ever popular in Matchmaking? I only ever played Infection custom games back in Halo 3 and Reach

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft needs to finally step in and eat some "negative" press by dismantling the studio and giving the franchise to CA and support teams. 343 is inept.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Desync is definitely something that happens in every shooter but it's egregious in Infinite. Sure in other games I get shot just inside a doorway in this, I go pat a doorway and five feet down a wall while still taking damage. Then there's the blank melees. Getting meleed while the person is in front of me facing the opposite direction, etc. The complaints are not overblown, they're justified.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
It's rare for studios to be so open about their internal dev processes like that, I imagine the reaction probably shows why.

I really don't get it though, Halo isn't just another AAA franchise, it's basically Xboxes biggest IP, surely you give that team the resources needed to do it justice, even if you lose a bit of money on it.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I sort of disagree...regardless of 343's historical trials and tribulations, Infinite is instructive that it had this big, splashy, well-received debut: yeah it was missing a lot of features, but the way it dropped and the baseline quality gave Xbox a LOT of goodwill to rest on.

But the goodwill was burned through much faster than I think anyone expected, and it feels like 343 can't get a handle on any one piece of the puzzle.

I also think there's a difference between 3rd-party and 1st-party live services, but that's harder to articulate. If I had to try, the patience for jank in your typical live service conflicts with the expectation of rock solid high quality associated with 1st party products. Basically, doing live services as a 1st party is going to be harder, and live services are already very hard.
I get your point that a 1st party game has a higher quality bar to meet, but all I'm saying is that making a game live service doesn't automatically net you those problems. Had they delayed the game even more until they could deliver co-op, Forge, battle royale and 3-month seasons the game would be much better now… but someone chose not to.

I know that it's hard to point to a live service that launched in a perfect state or updated in a perfect schedule, but when those shit launches happen it is because someone made a bad decision, not because the game is live service.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Did you ignore the rest of my first post? Forge, coop, firefight, spartan rank, commendations, playlists, game modes, lobbies, theater doesnt work properly, custom games dont wprk properly, ranked has one playlist..
I mean, Forge, coop, firefight are the only real significant pieces of content there I think. Commendations are meh, theater is there and works most of the time, Im not even sure what doesnt work about custom games, and sure id like more ranked stuff but thats pretty minor content. Plus you were arguing it would stay that way for the whole first year, when forge, the most significant piece of content missing, is a couple months away.

Calling that 2/3rds is a biiiig stretch. Especially on the game with the longest campaign.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
you would think this does not make sense because both MS and 343 mgmt would not allow shortage of devs... this does not make sense.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they should have said this honestly. Unless you work in development, how resources are allocated and what a customer/player thinks is a higher priority compared to the internal team/management will almost never sync up. I don't think it's fair to expect your player base to understand the needs of development on the backend like this.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Calling that 2/3rds is a biiiig stretch. Especially on the game with the longest campaign.

It's the longest campaign with the least amount of content, so eh. In 3 levels of Halo 5 I encountered a larger amount of different enemies, experienced more varied scenarios, fought in a bigger variation of different combat encounters and was bombarded by more scripted, spectacular gameplay sequences than in the entirety of Halo Infinite. Add to that the existence of a whole different mode, Warzone, and Halo Infinite absolutely had about or less than 1/3 of the content previous games in the franchise had, especially H5.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's the longest campaign with the least amount of content, so eh. In 3 levels of Halo 5 I encountered a larger amount of different enemies, experienced more varied scenarios, fought in a bigger variation of different combat encounters and was bombarded by more scripted, spectacular gameplay sequences than in the entirety of Halo Infinite. Add to that the existence of a whole different mode, Warzone, and Halo Infinite absolutely had about or less than 1/3 of the content previous games in the franchise had, especially H5.
Really disagree. Launch Halo 5 was dire. It was a really similar situation to Infinite actually. 4-5 hour campaign with a terrible story, not a lot of modes, no forge, not a lot of maps, etc.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when this was going to launch November 2020?
I also remember how the fix of the MCC after 4 years and the delay of 1 year was somehow seen by many as something positive, even though they show how something is not really well managed for the Halo franchise.
They should definitely get the time they need, but it just seems like they're being mismanaged.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Really disagree. Launch Halo 5 was dire. It was a really similar situation to Infinite actually. 4-5 hour campaign with a terrible story, not a lot of modes, no forge, not a lot of maps, etc.

It's worth noting though that Forge released 7 weeks after release, not between 8 and 12 months^^ Having replayed the game recently, 4 to 5 hours is a big exageration, doubly so for a first playthrough (Howlongtobeat's users say they took on average 8 hours) and, again, in that time a whole lot more is packed into the game than in the 10 to 18 hours it takes to beat Halo Infinite (Howlongtobeat's users posted a completion time of 11 hours on average btw, not really a big difference to H5. Also want to say that I don't think pure playtime is inherently worth more or less at all).

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The craziest part to me is how weak their live service offerings have been post-launch. This calendar from a reddit post is wild:

Ng81l1_OyzjhKGDqGmBQYReAqxf32ktd1lOxAAePFBw.jpg

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's worth noting though that Forge released 7 weeks after release, not between 8 and 12 months^^ Having replayed the game recently, 4 to 5 hours is a big exageration, doubly so for a first playthrough (Howlongtobeat's users say they took on average 8 hours) and, again, in that time a whole lot more is packed into the game than in the 10 to 18 hours it takes to beat Halo Infinite.
Wether you like Halo 5s campaign more than Infinites is a matter of opinion, but I really dont. Halo Infinite gave Halos sandbox a much needed revamp with the equipment and different weapons, plus the AI got a big upgrade between games. Hunters in Halo 5 were already good, but in Infinite they are amazing. Elites, Brutes and Jackals are the best theyve been too. That + the open world made the moment to moment Halo the best its ever been. Sure, I wish it was bigger and had more biomes, but its way better than the underwhelming mess that was Halo 5s campaign. There are only like 3-4 good levels there.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I really just want a Halo sequel that feels like a sequel to Halo 3. That's all I want. I don't need it to be "much bigger in scope", "open world", or anything in particular. It feels like 343 is overambitious and biting off more than they can chew by insane amounts.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I mean, Forge, coop, firefight are the only real significant pieces of content there I think. Commendations are meh, theater is there and works most of the time, Im not even sure what doesnt work about custom games, and sure id like more ranked stuff but thats pretty minor content. Plus you were arguing it would stay that way for the whole first year, when forge, the most significant piece of content missing, is a couple months away.

What is meh for you is not meh for everyone else. Coop is meh for me. It's stillissing content. And i didnt say the game would stay like this for a year. I said after a year it will still not have one third of the content compared to halo games. Even with coop and forge being out by then i still stand by what i've said.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I get your point that a 1st party game has a higher quality bar to meet, but all I'm saying is that making a game live service doesn't automatically net you those problems. Had they delayed the game even more until they could deliver co-op, Forge, battle royale and 3-month seasons the game would be much better now… but someone chose not to.

I know that it's hard to point to a live service that launched in a perfect state or updated in a perfect schedule, but when those shit launches happen it is because someone made a bad decision, not because the game is live service.
I wonder, though I guess we will never know now. I think it is as likely as not that delaying the game for a year would have still ended up with a very similar result.

If there had been an additional delay, some of the missing things would be present but other things with then catch the attention of the fan base.

The biggest problem with infinite as I see it is a question of responsiveness and reactivity, more so than XYZ mode is still missing.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Wether you like Halo 5s campaign more than Infinites is a matter of opinion, but I really dont. Halo Infinite gave Halos sandbox a much needed revamp with the equipment and different weapons, plus the AI got a big upgrade between games. Hunters in Halo 5 were already good, but in Infinite they are amazing. Elites, Brutes and Jackals are the best theyve been too. That + the open world made the moment to moment Halo the best its ever been. Sure, I wish it was bigger and had more biomes, but its way better than the underwhelming mess that was Halo 5s campaign. There are only like 3-4 good levels there.

Oh, absolutely, I agree, it's entirely subjective. Even though I was incredibly disappointed by Halo Infinite's campaign and think that Halo 5's campaign is very underappreciated, I absolutely see why and how you would think otherwise. All I wanted to a counter was the argument that Halo Infinite had by default "more" campaign because it's longer since the discussion was if Halo Infinite had markedly less content than previous games in the franchise.