• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Firesprite are true connoisseurs of car combat and bring Crimson Fury back to glory

Jun 15, 2020
Everyone is saying they hope it's a big AAA game, but that means the expectations and risk are much higher. I hope it's at a reasonable scale. TM can be a mid-level success, I don't think it can be a blockbuster.

Of course, this is Sony, sooo…. :/

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Same here

Hopefully also kickstarts PS3 era Sony revival as well. I would love for that crazy variety to return somehow (doubt it will due to no Japan Studio but hopefully that rumor that they are working on another one is true).

There are so many PlayStation IPs I wish they would revisit. Jet Moto, Ape Escape, ATV Offroad Fury, Legend of Dragoon, etc.

Many of them can be done as lower budget titles as well. Come on, Sony. :(

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the level design/character powers are closest to TM2/TMB.

That said, I do worry that this franchise's fundamental underpinnings kinda suffer from modern-day standards of car handling in games. People in 2022 are very used to using the shoulder buttons for accelerator/brake in driving games AND very used to using the shoulder buttons to fire weapons in shooters, and I feel like squaring that circle (and feeling up-to-snuff for modern standards of car handling *and* aiming) is a genuinely tricky problem to solve, whereas in the past, slightly clunkier driving controls (with X as the accelerator button) made room both for better weapon controls and for easier aiming of your weapons.

Happy to be wrong about this, of course. I enjoyed the PS1/early PS2 golden age of car combat games and I'd love to see the formula revisited today.

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many PlayStation IPs I wish they would revisit. Jet Moto, Ape Escape, ATV Offroad Fury, Legend of Dragoon, etc.

Many of them can be done as lower budget titles as well. Come on, Sony. :(
Agreed.

The crazy amount of games they have is crazy. From niche stuff from Tokyo Jungle, Patapon, Gravity Rush to other games like Killzone Mercenary, Downhill Domination, Arc the Lad, Legend of Legaia and more.

At this point I don't even mind them porting them as in at least. Hopefully that spartacus thing bring access to them at least.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Agreed.

The crazy amount of games they have is crazy. From niche stuff from Tokyo Jungle, Patapon, Gravity Rush to other games like Killzone Mercenary, Downhill Domination, Arc the Lad, Legend of Legaia and more.

At this point I don't even mind them porting them as in at least. Hopefully that spartacus thing bring access to them at least.

Don't forget about Alundra 👉🏼👈🏼

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I hope the level design/character powers are closest to TM2/TMB.

That said, I do worry that this franchise's fundamental underpinnings kinda suffer from modern-day standards of car handling in games. People in 2022 are very used to using the shoulder buttons for accelerator/brake in driving games AND very used to using the shoulder buttons to fire weapons in shooters, and I feel like squaring that circle (and feeling up-to-snuff for modern standards of car handling *and* aiming) is a genuinely tricky problem to solve, whereas in the past, slightly clunkier driving controls (with X as the accelerator button) made room both for better weapon controls and for easier aiming of your weapons.

Happy to be wrong about this, of course. I enjoyed the PS1/early PS2 golden age of car combat games and I'd love to see the formula revisited today.

I feel like they nailed the controls in Black, personally. Right stick = gas, Left stick = control, and back buttons for weapons.

I know what you mean about people expecting R2 = Gas, L2 = Break, though. I think you can do it.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Agreed.

Christ, Downhill Domination was such a jam in my social circle for a solid month. Oddly enough, we didn't get into it until I had a PS3 and we didn't need to rock a multitap any longer.

Oct 27, 2017
Christ, Downhill Domination was such a jam in my social circle for a solid month. Oddly enough, we didn't get into it until I had a PS3 and we didn't need to rock a multitap any longer.
Yeah it is such a blast. Easy to pick up and play and instantly fun.

Looking back, Sony have so many good racing games. DD, Jet Moto, Destruction Derby, Motorstorm, Drive Club, Wipeout... All of these are unique too.

Would love to see them revive these games.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Yeah it is such a blast. Easy to pick up and play and instantly fun.

Looking back, Sony have so many good racing games. DD, Jet Moto, Destruction Derby, Motorstorm, Drive Club, Wipeout... All of these are unique too.

Would love to see them revive these games.

No lie, the PS3's racing portfolio alone was ridiculous. It's a damn shame the PS4 only brought us GT and Driveclub.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Hmm. If Lucid wasn't working on it but they're hiring for a PlayStation project with vehicles, I wonder what that is... Maybe Wipeout?

How do we know that Lucid is working on a PS project with vehicles? They have postings for a car-related game, but no indication I've seen it is PS specific.

Wouldn't the obvious guess be a sequel to the game they made? Destruction Allstars… 2? 🧐

Lol.

Oct 27, 2017
No lie, the PS3's racing portfolio alone was ridiculous. It's a damn shame the PS4 only brought us GT and Driveclub.
Yeah

The one game from that era that I am sad about was Motorstorm Apocalypse. Was my favorite game in the series yet it never got the chance it deserved.

I wish a collection would be released (Arctic Edge included if possible. That game was my favorite up until Apocalypse).

Twisted Metal 2012 was great as well but had some big flaws which sadly killed it too. Hopefully they learned from it and bring back the SP and a much better MP support. (Though I hope they keep the improvements 2012 added. The MP when it worked was really fun)

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need FIresprite to make Wipeout though.

Never played Twisted Metal, I have the most recent one ready to go on my PS3 but I'm sure this game will be completely different anyway.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
How do we know that Lucid is working on a PS project with vehicles? They have postings for a car-related game, but no indication I've seen it is PS specific.

www.resetera.com

Lucid Games (Destruction Allstars) working on a "First-Party Flagship AAA IP for the PlayStation 5"

Rumored to be a new Twisted Metal: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sources-destruction-all-stars-studio-lucid-handed-twisted-metal-revival/

Nothing about vehicles, but it was called a first party game for PlayStation
if Nate is right and they indeed weren't working on Twisted Metal at all, this project still stands.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
www.resetera.com

Lucid Games (Destruction Allstars) working on a "First-Party Flagship AAA IP for the PlayStation 5"

Rumored to be a new Twisted Metal: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sources-destruction-all-stars-studio-lucid-handed-twisted-metal-revival/

if Nate is right and they indeed weren't working on Twisted Metal at all, this project still stands.

Gotcha. So it's entirely contingent on who has the correct picture in this instance.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
www.resetera.com

Sorry, I was probably confused with some other project, I remembered that there was something written about vehicles in the job listing.

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020
Sony has a lot faith in firesprite. Don't think they made a great game yet but curious how this turns out. Looking at their game list is surprisingly not that many games for being a big studio.

I can't see this being an AAA game if it's coming in 2023. Seems like it's not enough dev time for a big title specially after being rebooted. Maybe it will be a smaller, digital only title.
an AAA corny car combat game would be dumb as hell and essentially burning money

edit: and just because it's $70 with a retail release doesn't mean it's AAA. i highly doubt this will be lower priced digital title. destruction allstars was $70 until the last second

edit2: i forgot all about f2p, that makes sense too

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Sony has a lot faith in firesprite. Don't think they made a great game yet but curious how this turns out. Looking at their game list is surprisingly not that many games for being a big studio.

They've ramped up significantly in the last 2-3 years, likely around the time the VR Horizon game started development.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
This had me at Motorstorm director.

Hoping for environmental usage/weapons/destruction.

Imagine throwing a rocket that has Apocalypse like wind storm. Oh man.(assuming the director was the same for all Motorstorm games).

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can't see this being an AAA game if it's coming in 2023. Seems like it's not enough dev time for a big title specially after being rebooted. Maybe it will be a smaller, digital only title.

I would be shocked if it isnt a free2play game with season passes and MTX's. Makes sense. It doesn't have the appeal for AAA retail.