• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
www.videogameschronicle.com

Why wasn’t Everwild at E3? It’s been ‘completely rebooted’ | VGC

Sources suggest Rare is ‘starting from scratch'; studio confirms new creative director…

The original IP was a notable absentee from the Xbox and Bethesda showcase on Sunday, especially considering Rare debuted new trailers for the game at each of Microsoft's previous two big events, the Xbox Games Showcase last July and X019 in November 2019.

And according to our publishing sources, it could be a while before fans receive a significant update on the title – and even longer before it releases.

VGC understands that last year's departure of creative director Simon Woodroffe – first reported by us – has led to a complete overhaul of the game's design and direction, as well as significant changes to its senior leadership.

According to people with knowledge of Everwild's development, the game's design has essentially been "restarted from scratch", which means it will likely be several years before it releases.

This corroborates comments made by journalist Jeff Grubb in a video show this weekend, in which he said he'd heard Everwild development was taking longer than expected.

More at the link.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
Okay but this doesn't count as official enough for me to confirm my Fantasy Critic drop, does it? ;_;

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Jeff Grubb: Everwild got rebooted after its creative director left last year, now scheduled to 2023 but could slip to 2024 Rumor

He talked about this yesterday in his podcast and today he mentioned again( Around 26:30 if it doesn't work), where he said that he confirmed with more people that this is the case. ~transcription~ Question: Hey guys, do you think we will see Everwild during E3? Grubb: No, so...I mean, it got...

It's a different article / source. This goes much more deeper than Grubb's.

Jan 4, 2018
Sad news but Gregg Mayles leading the project gives me a lot of hope.

Rare's most senior creative employee, designer Gregg Mayles, has been brought in to lead the reboot.

Mayles is arguably the most decorated designer in Rare's history, aside from the founding Stamper Brothers. Since 1989, Mayles has led design on some of the studios' biggest hits, including Donkey Kong Country, Banjo-Kazooie, Viva Pinata and Sea of Thieves.

Also seems like the Everwild was small (until the reboot at least) ?

According to people familiar with development, Everwild's small team had struggled to define a clear direction for the title, beyond its striking art style and soundtrack.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Rebuilt from scratch? Jeez.

Hoping it looks similar to the CGI trailers they put out. I liked the look of their vision.

Last edited:

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
OP buried the lead. Gregg Mayles has been brought in to lead the reboot which I think is a very positive sign for the game.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Please be a traditional single player game in some ways. I know Rare is the "service games" team now, but I really would like it to have a campaign. I'm totally fine with it having live elements, but I really miss SP Rare games. They have a charm to them and I'm more of an SP guy.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, did both previous creative directors leave?

There was the guy who worked on Sonic Transformed, who left. Then there was the girl who was an art director for Rare, and she left too???

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
VGC understands that last year's departure of creative director Simon Woodroffe – first reported by us – has led to a complete overhaul of the game's design and direction, as well as significant changes to its senior leadership.

According to people with knowledge of Everwild's development, the game's design has essentially been "restarted from scratch", which means it will likely be several years before it releases.

We're told that Everwild's development team is now "optimistically" targeting a 2024 release and that Rare's most senior creative employee, designer Gregg Mayles, has been brought in to lead the reboot.
www.videogameschronicle.com

Why wasn’t Everwild at E3? It’s been ‘completely rebooted’ | VGC

Sources suggest Rare is ‘starting from scratch'; studio confirms new creative director…

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Sucks but let them take as long as necessary, part of having so much studios is not having to rush.

Just like Sony does with their teams, give them time and freedom.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
willing to bet it will become a traditional zelda like game instead of the animal persuasion and protection game it was

OP
OP
Andrei Rublev

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
OP buried the lead. Gregg Mayles has been brought in to lead the reboot which I think is a very positive sign for the game.

You're right. I updated the thread title.

Honestly, I think this all very positive. Microsoft has all the first-party titles they need, so if something isn't working, they have the time to fix them and let other games do the heavy lifting.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This was the game I was looking forward to the most from Xbox. Hope that development is smoother going forward.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I actually liked the direction they were taking with this game art wise but I seriously hope it is still a single player narrative adventure game

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm slightly disappointed that Gregg Mayles isn't working on a secret new project, but this is great news for Everwild.

Wait, did both previous creative directors leave?
There has only been one previous creative director on Everwild.

Mike Chapman was promoted to creative director on Sea of Thieves in 2019. This led to speculation about Gregg Mayles' role on SoT and at the studio.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Please be a traditional single player game in some ways. I know Rare is the "service games" team now, but I really would like it to have a campaign. I'm totally fine with it having live elements, but I really miss SP Rare games. They have a charm to them and I'm more of an SP guy.
Sea of Thieves is getting a story campaign next week with the Pirates of the Caribbean crossover.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There has only been one previous creative director on Everwild.
There was only one creative director.
Nope. Simon Woodroffe then Louise O'Connor. Now Gregg Mayles?

Rare's Everwild has lost its creative director | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)

Edit: I stand corrected. I suppose this line was throwing me off.

Everwild's direction will now seemingly be left solely to executive producer Louise O'Connor, the Conker's Bad Fur Day animator who has led most of the game's promotion.

Last edited:

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
willing to bet it will become a traditional zelda like game instead of the animal persuasion and protection game it was

I would be so very happy with that. I hope it's exactly what they're doing.

I'm not at all bothered by the 2024 (or even 2025) release, I'm sure it'll be great when it comes.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's a shame. I trust Gregg Mayles though, so I'm sure it'll still be great.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it weren't for Sea of Thieves I get the feeling Microsoft would be looking at Rare and deciding if they're worth keeping or not.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Well the game is in good hands now I guess is the silver lining. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It sucks. I hope the vision of "protecting the world, animals" stays in tho. That to me felt something unique.
Greg Mayles taking over is good overall. Guess we can forgot about the game for abit and will see it when we see it.
Also because of the many games Xbox has now. It probably got the time and space to do this. Wich is good to see.

Oct 25, 2017

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Having Gregg Mayles as the Lead Designer is really good tho. Maybe more Viva Piñata like?