• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
corp_pic_patrickplourde3_gc_150805_10amcest-768x433.jpg

Veteran Ubisoft developer Patrick Plourde has left the company after almost 20 years.
Plourde, who was creative director of Child of Light, Watch Dogs 2 and Far Cry 3, plans to work as part of an independent consulting agency and continue to work with Ubisoft outside of its traditional corporate structure, he said.

"Most of my time will be working with Ubisoft, but now I'll have a position outside a traditional structure (with mandate cross department) and I will be able to dabble with other fields outside gaming that I had eyes on for a while without having to ask my employer's permission," Plourde told Axios.

More at VGC https://www.videogameschronicle.com...rick-plourde-has-left-ubisoft-after-19-years/

EDIT: Thank you dex3108 for sharing this

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said in July that "important progress" has been made since the misconduct allegations first came to light, but employees dismissed that claim in an open letter, saying that they continue to wait for "real, fundamental change." A Better Ubisoft also criticized the appointment of Igor Manceau to the position of chief creative officer, saying that "the creative team at Ubisoft is composed of white people who are of uniform cultural backgrounds," including Serge Hascoët's former assistant, and Patrick Plourde, who remains vice president of editorial "despite the multiple misconduct reports filed against him."

www.pcgamer.com

Ubisoft workers demand swifter action from leadership after Activision concedes to employee demands

A Better Ubisoft congratulated Activision employees for winning concessions, and asked why its own company can't do the same.

Last edited:

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Watch Dogs 2 and Far Cry 3...Both the pinnacles of their respective franchises

My confidence in Ubisoft remains strong

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So sad to see
Oh how can this be

We'll never get a sequel
Child of Light has no equal

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like he wants to be able to spend some of the time on tv shows or movies but still wants to make games at Ubisoft

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I haven't played Watch Dogs or Far Cry, but Child of Light was an excellent game.

Easily one of my favorites from the earlier years of the PS4.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I really wish we would have seen more games from Ubisoft under that "UbiArt" umbrella. Valiant Hearts and Child of Light were both really, really good. VH was even my GOTY that year.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Those were three fantastic games and one of them literally became the template for modern open world games, to the point that it can be described as a genre in and of itself.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 doesn't get enough love.
It's a really good game, with a great protagonist
True, true. TFW everyone assumed the group would be super tryhard and edgy but they ended up being super endearing with the game managing to have the type of smartly written satire GTA pretends to have, shocker you can apparently do that without explicitly punching down on the marginalized.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Well happy for him those 3 games were fantastic
It's a shame they screwed up wd legions and we never got a sequel to child of light (despite the explicit tease!) ah well, a sequel with someone who actually knew how to rhyme would have been incredible

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Bit weird when Bloodstained just got that Child of Light update. Wish him well though, 19 years is incredibly long in this industry.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
83348720e8e611e8bbad13b6ab5f2ae1.PNG

I have to wonder, with Ubiart dead, what would the sequel have been made on. Unity?
Ubiart framework isn't dead. They've released a game made with it every year since it's first title.

Wikiwand - UbiArt Framework

The UbiArt Framework is a 2.5D video game engine developed by Ubisoft Montpellier. Its function is to organize 2D animated vector graphics into a playable video game without extensive coding.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ubiart framework isn't dead. They've released a game made with it every year since it's first title.

The UbiArt Framework is a 2.5D video game engine developed by Ubisoft Montpellier. Its function is to organize 2D animated vector graphics into a playable video game without extensive coding.
the fuck? just dance is on ubiart? now that's a shocker

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

kind of think people asking for ubiart games weren't really looking for a bunch of just dance games lol

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said in July that "important progress" has been made since the misconduct allegations first came to light, but employees dismissed that claim in an open letter, saying that they continue to wait for "real, fundamental change." A Better Ubisoft also criticized the appointment of Igor Manceau to the position of chief creative officer, saying that "the creative team at Ubisoft is composed of white people who are of uniform cultural backgrounds," including Serge Hascoët's former assistant, and Patrick Plourde, who remains vice president of editorial "despite the multiple misconduct reports filed against him."

www.pcgamer.com

Ubisoft workers demand swifter action from leadership after Activision concedes to employee demands

A Better Ubisoft congratulated Activision employees for winning concessions, and asked why its own company can't do the same.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
the fuck? just dance is on ubiart? now that's a shocker
kind of think people asking for ubiart games weren't really looking for a bunch of just dance games lol
1464190168-giphy-16.gif

www.pcgamer.com

That's fucked.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

www.pcgamer.com

Ah looks like a way to let him go without letting him go

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

www.pcgamer.com

Was going to ask if this was one of the problem people thanks.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Guy might be a shitlord, but man Child of Light was one of the last Ubisoft games I really liked (I don't count Stick of Truth)

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Sort of sad to see that all the news reporting this conveniently forget that the dude is sort of a shithead and a bully. I guess the 'rebranding' worked.

But nevertheless, even though I personally had only one interaction with Plourde in my lifetime myself, I don't think I have heard anyone say anything nice about him. And when he became one of Editorial VPs there was a lot of internal strife.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017

www.pcgamer.com

Thereitis.gif

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Child of light was great and the soundtrack was fucking amazing. I wish him the best.

Marco_Tovarich

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Dublin, Ireland

www.pcgamer.com

OP, this should be added to your post.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany

www.pcgamer.com

Thank you for this, hate how fast this shit got sweeped under a rug.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't know the guy was an abusive idiot. Child of Light is an amazing game, though.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

Translating the image post for those who don't speak French (the actual Tweet is a shorter version of that that you can translate via your browser):

A few days ago, Patrick Plourde announced he was leaving Ubisoft.

We will not miss his toxic management style or his homophobic, racist and sexist remarks.

He behavior led to various employees giving their notice while he was in charge of the (poorly named) "Fun House".

After multiple reports to HR, Mr. Plourde was forced to the ever so hard punishment of having to write a caricature of an "apology letter", all the while he was being promoted VP of Editorial.

In 2020, a lot of public accusations came out:

(these you can read they're in english)

And yet, we had to endure his presence for 2 more years.

In his goodbye message, Mr. Plourde indicates that he will keep working with Ubisoft, but as a consultant.

To this we say: NO THANKS!

Last edited:

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft is just a complete dumpster fire. Is there anyone in their senior creative staff that hasn't had misconduct allegations filed against them?

Given the state of multiple franchises, the company as a whole and BFT's the company is basically dead to me.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Any one upper mgmt leaving at Ubi has to get the side eye every time. Not surprised this was yet another person allowed to gracefully bow out there