• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
More than anything I'm getting curious like a monkey about what sort of open world Miyazaki will opt for.

People throw the term around a lot, sometime with silly dismissive comments that handwave anything "open world" as part of the same group, but there are a good dozen different ways to design one (will it be fragmented in zones? Will it focus on open door scenarios or isolated landmarks? What about its verticality? Will it have level scaling or deliberate placement of strong creatures as gatekeepers? Etc), to allow its navigation (Will you just be able to run? Or ride? Swim? Fly? Climb?), to make it more or less rewarding to explore (Randomized loot? Hand-placed unique rewards? Will you unlock powers that allow to access new areas like in a metroidvania?), etc.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Its interesting that people are worried its more Dark Souls. I'm more worried about the open world elements interfering or messing up the level design and parts of Souls games that are so good. But I'm optimistic it will just take it to another level. A Zelda style open world where the traditional areas are basically like dismounted dungeons (souls areas) could be amazing.

That would make sense if the world is build like a GRR Martin world, with distinct different regions and if the game itself is a great quest for the Elden Ring.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Elden Ring won't have lipsync either. It's crucial to these games.

Or have lip sync like in Sekiro, where the lips move but don't actually match anything that is said.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
More than anything I'm getting curious like a monkey about what sort of open world Miyazaki will opt for.

People throw the term around a lot, sometime with silly dismissive comments that handwave anything "open world" as part of the same group, but there are a good dozen different ways to design one, to allow its navigation, to make it more or less rewarding to explore, etc.

That's true. Is it going to be something that encourages exploration like Breath of the Wild or Shadow of the Colossus, with limited checkpoints and guides? Or is it going to be in an established world with a hud showing you where most everything is like Ghost of Tsushima, Grand Theft Auto, and Witcher 3?

My assumption is on the former given From's style, where the lore and general story is up to the player to uncover.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
A much much smaller base since it's locked behind one system.
Hence I wrote if it released on PC and Xbox as well. Of course, it will have a smaller player base on just one system. But a Bloodborne 2 (or better said Bloodborne-style game, because the IP belongs to Sony) for all systems would just have the same audience. And it would have been way more interesting than just Dark Souls 4 with an open world. But hey, this all speculative and we don't even know what Elden Ring will be in the end. Maybe it's totally different from Dark/Demon's Souls. We are currently judging this on a 30 seconds 240p clip.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the game DOESNT have a map system and you have to guide yourself through landmarks in the world.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it's gonna look better or worse than Demons. I really hope they have SOLID performance and graphics modes.
It will look a lot worse. It's open-world, cross-gen and not a Sony first-party (or "second party" becaues the dev isn't a Sony Studio) game. So it can't even be tailored around one hardware.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the game DOESNT have a map system and you have to guide yourself through landmarks in the world.

what I really, really miss from DS1 is no fast travel, which is hard to do in an open world game, so what I hope they do is have tiers of bonfires, some that are fast travel hubs and others that are just respawn/refill points.

I miss the tension of "I fought my way here, and now I can fight my way back out to resupply or I can press forward" and I want it back so badly.

It'd be nice if defeating the boss of an area made all of that area's bonfires fast travel points.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Fuck ya it looks colorful as shit and I love my colors. I don't mind grey and depressing if done right like from always does, but we never have enough colors on gaming. That bright ass tree looked beautiful!

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't Miyazaki inspired by Shadow of the Colossus for Dark Souls?

I can definitely see that being an impact here as well: little to no mainstream hand-holding, the player is left to wander alone with no minimap, you have to look at the landscape and understand where you have to go. While you are moving you see a small tower in the distance, you reach it and it is its own small "souls" area with a couple of shortcuts, a stronger boss enemy and its own lore, and it's all optional.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's gonna look better or worse than Demons. I really hope they have SOLID performance and graphics modes.
Demons Souls was designed around PS3 architecture, meaning Bluepoint could pretty it up without having to worry about a lot of activity on screen or things like draw distance.

It was also designed for the PS5.

Elden Ring is more open world and designed for last gen consoles.

Notwithstanding people's feelings on technical ability between the two companies.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the extremely blurry and pixelated clips I can already tell the game is beautiful and perfect. Day 1.

Oct 31, 2017
what I really, really miss from DS1 is no fast travel, which is hard to do in an open world game,
What Dark Souls 1 did right and the following titles failed to grasp is taking fast travel and serving it only hours later to the players as a reward.
In this way forcing them to EXPERIENCE the world palm to palm and then making more convenient to skip parts when the novelty, sense of danger and isolation were wearing off anyway.

rbn777

May 31, 2019

Welcome back man, so glad to see you here again! I only registered on here because of you back in the day and have been lurking ever sinc.! Gosh, those are exciting times :) Regarding the stealth, what instantly crossed my mind was... In Sekiro, you don't have stats as such, but do you know if by any chance in ER your stats (or say, equipment load or choice of armor) would be affecting the stealth element as well? :O

Oct 4, 2020
Scotland
The more I watch that 34 second video the worse the opening bit looks in comparison with the rest of the footage. I know it's potato quality but the stealth section doesn't look the best, whereas the colours, animations etc. are so much better the the small bits of combat we see. The colours are really reminding me of Sekiro whereas the opening bits look a lot more like DS1.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
It will look a lot worse. It's open-world, cross-gen and not a Sony first-party (or "second party" becaues the dev isn't a Sony Studio) game. So it can't even be tailored around one hardware.

Yep, those expecting even close to the graphical fidelity of Demon's Souls will be massively disappointed. It's unrealistic, as DS is one of the best looking games ever, owing to its smaller environments and being exclusive to a next gen console hardware of course.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Its interesting that people are worried its more Dark Souls. I'm more worried about the open world elements interfering or messing up the level design and parts of Souls games that are so good. But I'm optimistic it will just take it to another level. A Zelda style open world where the traditional areas are basically like dismounted dungeons (souls areas) could be amazing.

That would make sense if the world is build like a GRR Martin world, with distinct different regions and if the game itself is a great quest for the Elden Ring.

They kinda did this with Evergrace.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Nah, Elden Ring doesnt exist.
31585.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, those expecting even close to the graphical fidelity of Demon's Souls will be massively disappointed. It's unrealistic, as DS is one of the best looking games ever, owing to its smaller environments and being exclusive to a next gen console hardware of course.

Yeah I'm not expecting this. But Sekiro, BB and DS3 are still great looking games. If it's shiner than those and 60fps I'll be happy. Expect that's what I'll get with the ps5 version anyway. At this point I'm pretty confident in FS art department and their ability to woo me

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Elden Ring won't have lipsync either. It's crucial to these games.

Or have lip sync like in Sekiro, where the lips move but don't actually match anything that is said.

Demon's Souls remake looks great with lip sync. From's lack of lip sync is not endearing, its just a further reminder of their lack of technical prowess.