• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Honestly,

It's kind of on publishers if your argument is about preservation. Old movies and music only continue to exist on modern storefronts because publishers either buy the rights or retain the rights. I kind of don't see how this is on Sony for shutting their store down. We didn't blame Borders for closing its stores...

This isn't a physical location housing physical goods that no longer turn a profit. It's a digital store - one that's still going to have to host all of these games on servers somewhere. I don't even think people assume Sony is making much a profit off of this stuff. It's more than they make enough money as a company to keep these games available for people even if it's not bringing in tons of cash.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Only for as long as those consoles continue to work. Once your PS3 dies, if you can't fix it or find another one, you'll never be able to play those games again. Not really an issue now but these consoles have been discontinued, so every PS3 that breaks down is one less PS3 in the world - and the fewer there are, the more expensive they'll become.

At least with Xbox you can just buy the newest console and all those games will still be there for you to download.

Not to defend Sony because what they are doing is some bullshit, but that was the case no matter if the store closes down or not. If you can't get a PS3 to play the games you can't play them. Xbox is the same way since damn near 90% of the OG and 360 catalog isn't BC. Obviously it's much better than what Sony has going but it's still not good enough either.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh they've got emulators to that point? I'm curious, I own a copy but my ps3 went Mia in a move
Yeah I played it just recently. No issues at all. Some other games like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 plays perfectly too as long as you have the required specs. It's getting better but it'll need a few more years to where the PS2 emulator currently is. Still can't play Yakuza Dead Souls :(

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Jimbo probably looking at the sales data for these stores and then seeing the internet having meltdown about not being able to buy from there anymore and going "wtf?"

Oct 27, 2017
06a3d330ea60a9f4f0256d462989d1e3.jpg

Keep them articles coming! We need that pressure!

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
In all seriousness, I truly hope that this is only a means to bolster the PS Now library. That is my wish for the end outcome.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to call this list out as questionable. Why are "336 PS2 classics" and "260 Ps1 classics" counted as digital only titles that will be lost forever, when every single PS2 and PS1 game ever made exists on disc?

It's confusing, I think the article is kind of playing with two numbers (using the larger for the headline, of course). The 2200 "lost" games is just what's digital-only across the stores but also potentially available elsewhere or in old physical copies (like the PS1 games) whereas the 120 number is stuff that will genuinely not be available anywhere like Pixeljunk Racers or Infamous Festival of Blood.

(I'm also pretty sure that PS2 classics number includes the JPN store because we sure as hell never got that many over here. Still valid, of course, but reads different to the US audience)

I do want to point out that VGC is wrong about RE: Code Veronica X. You can buy the PS4 version which works on PS5. The PS4 version was one of Sony's PS2 to PS4 ports.

Yeah, you can still get that version on PS4 or PS5. Obviously that's the PS2 game and lacks some of the upgrades the HD Remaster got, though, so the version that will be Xbox-only is still better.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
They get billions every year from making people pay to play online when it barely cost them anything, and they still try to save money by closing down stores.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
if you have no way for curious people to access them there lost. its not just about people who already own them. we can access most old movies and music we shouldnt treat gaming any differently

This isn't true at all. There is a GIGANTIC, GIGANTIC number of old films and television that are permanently "gone" and can never be seen because nobody thought preserving them was worth it.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's confusing, I think the article is kind of playing with two numbers (using the larger for the headline, of course). The 2200 "lost" games is just what's digital-only across the stores but also potentially available elsewhere or in old physical copies (like the PS1 games) whereas the 120 number is stuff that will genuinely not be available anywhere like Pixeljunk Racers or Infamous Festival of Blood.

(I'm also pretty sure that PS2 classics number includes the JPN store because we sure as hell never got that many over here. Still valid, of course, but reads different to the US audience)

Yeah, you can still get that version on PS4 or PS5. Obviously that's the PS2 game and lacks some of the upgrades the HD Remaster got, though, so the version that will be Xbox-only is still better.

Yea, it's not the HD version, but at least you can play/buy it to complete the RE collection.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
But the only reason a blu-ray release happens is because of publishers, right?

Yeah of course and I didn't deny that. Its that the cost and work isn't comparable. You don't film a movie for a movie box that the movie company paid for you to use that makes sure no other movie boxes can play the movie. The original film works pretty much universally with future tech and so a rerelease is simple. It's not a comparable practice.

How do you suggest Sega ports over Legend of Dragoon for example? The intricacies of a game vs a movie in terms of preserving are very different beasts.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect there will be an alternative to buy these games closer to the closing date.

Might as well keep quiet and let people panic buy in the meantime.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Really, really hope Sony offers backwards compatibility of PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP games on the PS5 sometime during this gen. An e3/Sony event would really be a big announcement.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Destructoid made a list back in December (with help from a reddit post) that excluded PS3 titles that had physical editions somewhere, cross buy with PS4, PS1 and 2 classics, and similar.

That list is way, way more conservative than this.

www.destructoid.com

What Remains of the PSN Store for Digital-Only PS3 Games?

, . This is a current list of every digital only game that remains in the PS3 PSN store. This was a list taken from a Reddit post that was last updated on December 13, 2020. Some of these games MAY have been removed since then, so if that...

Granted, your Vita and PSP titles wouldn't be included here.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
In all seriousness, I truly hope that this is only a means to bolster the PS Now library. That is my wish for the end outcome.

Same. There have been a couple very recent promotions for PS Now (one for a $15 store credit with a new sub, another for a very low sub cost) and I hope that the timing of these promos is meaningful.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I fully expect there will be an alternative to buy these games closer to the closing date.

Might as well keep quiet and let people panic buy in the meantime.

I am hoping for this as well, there are about 10 games that I want to buy for sure, but I am going to wait until the absolute last minute to do so just in case. I doubt they do anything though unfortunately.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Yeah of course and I didn't deny that. Its that the cost and work isn't comparable. You don't film a movie for a movie box that the movie company paid for you to use that makes sure no other movie boxes can play the movie. The original film works pretty much universally with future tech and so a rerelease is simple. It's not a comparable practice.

How do you suggest Sega ports over Legend of Dragoon for example? The intricacies of a game vs a movie in terms of preserving are very different beasts.
But the alternative is that Sony keeps their store open so that you can buy the game on PS3 in the year 2050? Like, the truth of the matter is that architecture makes it impossible. Even if Sony kept the stores open, all of that hardware will fail, and the games will be lost either way. I'm trying to understand what Sony should be doing.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Sony should keep these games for sale.

that being said, the narrative around this is kind of bizarre to me. The games aren't dissapearing, anyone who ownes them still owns them.

physical games aren't "disappeared" after they stop being printed.

I'm just not getting whose up in arms around this. If you own them you own them and are not impacted. If you don't own them, you've had years to buy them but haven't yet, you were unlikely to have ever bought them on those consoles and become less likely every passing day.

I would obviously like to keep the option, so I get the sense of "loss", but is it truly that impactful to people?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
But the alternative is that Sony keeps their store open so that you can buy the game on PS3 in the year 2050? Like, the truth of the matter is that architecture makes it impossible. Even if Sony kept the stores open, all of that hardware will fail, and the games will be lost either way. I'm trying to understand what Sony should be doing.

I'm not really a fan of digital purchases, but there really should be a PS3 emulator for PS5 by now, given the amount of software on that platform. That would allow Sony to just move the old software to the current system without a lot of fuss. But I "get" that the economic justification for putting the work in for these games just might not be there.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Making hardware that is backwards compatible and allow access to the store or a partial version of it through the ps5? PS5 and PS4 can't play PS1 games, what's the reason for that?

The vita isn't even 10 years old and they're shutting it down, what the fuck is that garbage. Sony could literally do anything but they won't because this is purely to help their bottom line.

Oct 30, 2017
I hope this backfires tremendously.
But it won't. Fanboys will defend them like their lives depend on it and the casuals won't care.
Fanboys really contribute very little to this.
Dollars are going to speak louder than anything. Casuals may not care and it's certainly not their job to care if they truly don't care.

The only metric that Sony is going to respond to is engagement. If they could attribute a decrease in player engagement in part due to this, then they may respond.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
User Warned: Console wars
Ugh, can microsoft just make their own original IP and stop ruining the industry by stealing multiplats?

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Making hardware that is backwards compatible and allow access to the store or a partial version of it through the ps5? PS5 and PS4 can't play PS1 games, what's the reason for that?

The vita isn't even 10 years old and they're shutting it down, what the fuck is that garbage. Sony could literally do anything but they won't because this is purely to help their bottom line.
Yeah, I guess I'm just expecting to be able to easily emulate all of this stuff on PC in like 10 years, so I don't see why it's a big deal.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
MS seems to be the one betting on video game preservation i mean, they even integrated the 360 store with the X1 store not long ago. Not sure if it's gonna be taken down anytime soon.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
There's so many little great budget PSP games that don't deserve this treatment.

Isn't Metal Gear Solid technically about to be lost forever?

Wait, I guess not if you have the PS1 disc, but that will soon be the ONLY way to buy that game, which is incredibly wild to me.

There's a PC port which isn't great, but better than nothing I suppose.

It exists on the PSOne Classic, which is good for the 5 people who bought them.

But then who wants to play on that garbage thing?

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Why so much drama? PSP emulation is in a fantastic place. If the concern is preservation then there's little worry.