• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
outside of FO4, this list is lines up pretty well with my tastes. Skyrim may be clunky as fuck to play, but especially back in 2011, it was a magical experience.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Solid list. Played most games on it and I enjoyed all of those. Obviously some of my favorites are missing but that's not entirely unsurprising when more than 50 great games released this decade.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
List threads are always entertaining.

That being said...Bloodborne at 26? Heathens!

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That top 10 is just painful to look at.
Every single game there shouldn't even be close to the top 10 imo. RDR2 and New Vegas are good enough to think about being around the top 25 maybe but the rest... just no. Awful.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That top 10 is just painful to look at.
Every single game there shouldn't even be close to the top 10 imo. RDR2 and New Vegas are good enough to think about being around the top 25 maybe but the rest... just no. Awful.

That comment is also just painful to look at and Awful. ;)

Jeez, these are all critically acclaimed and beloved by millions games. Just because your personal favorites aren't in there doesn't make it painful or awful.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
While I appreciate seeing Dishonored 2 and New Vegas rightly being in the top 10, the lack of Into the Breach anywhere is too bad. It's a near perfect game! 😅 In any case, it seems like a solid list of good games so kudos. We'll see plenty of these in the coming months. Then, we'll be able to rank the best lists!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Given the Western-bent to this list, I'm surprised to see Persona 4 Golden (and no P5). Also surprised to see Disco Elysium on a best of the decade list since it's still very new and I would think most people would want to wait a bit and see if they still like it after the newness has worn off.

What do you have to wait?

The writing is not going to change 1 year or 10 years from now, Disco Elysium having a stellar writing and good role playing is a fact.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Not putting Minecraft in the Top 10 is already a mistake, not having it anywhere on the list is just crazy.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Any list that includes Mass Effect 2 is automatically wrong. That's the game where it began to go wrong.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Aside from maybe Mass Effect 2, I don't agree with a single game in that top 10.

Oct 27, 2017
Not a list I can agree with. No Hollow Knight, no Shovel Knight, no Dark Souls. In the spiel for DS3 they even say "It's important to acknowledge that both the second and third entries in the Dark Souls series released in this decade, and choosing between the two is difficult.", yet Dark Souls 1 released in this decade as well and they just pretend like it doesn't exist!

Also, while I play fewer Japanese games than I used to this list still feel very western-centric.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine creating a top 50 list and not having dota or league. Those guys clearly don't like competitive (or multiplayer in general) games.
Cool idea to leave out the most played games of the decade. I mean if you can leave out Minecraft then you can leave out everything else, right?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
10. Dishonored 2
9. Red Dead Redemption
8. Fallout 4
7. The Last of Us
6. God of War
5. Fallout New Vegas
4. Skyrim
3. Red Dead Redemption 2
2. Mass Effect 2
1. The Witcher 3

That's actually a good list.

Only, I think Skyrim and Fallout 4 don't deserve recognition as any "Best games of..." whenever. Fallout 4 is dull and underdesigned. Skyrim is just a load of wank built around a compellingly crafted open world, but I'll keep it on my list because Skyrim undeniably set all the Ubiboxes and Dragon Age Inquisitions and even Witcher 3s in motion for this generation. Everything and its mom is Open World now and that's because of Skyrim, even Zelda did a complete 180 there, and I 100% believe it's all because of that game.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, just another western list. I might agree on that top 10 if we were talking about top 10 western games this decade tho

OP
OP

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Imagine creating a top 50 list and not having dota or league. Those guys clearly don't like competitive (or multiplayer in general) games.
Cool idea to leave out the most played games of the decade. I mean if you can leave out Minecraft then you can leave out everything else, right?
It's a list of their staffers' favourite games, why should they include 'big' or 'important' games?

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
This a good Top 10 in my book just for the fact there isnt Breath of the Wild for once.

Personally cant put it in a Top 10 with its shit dungeons.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't personally put Fallout 4 or Mass Effect 2 anywhere near that high, but I like that XCOM2 gets a proper position in this list. And New Vegas position is well deserved as well.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who loves WRPGs, every list of these where I see Witcher 3 so high just bums me out again that I bounced off of it. Never been able to get through it despite even loving games like Dragon Age: Inquisition. I need to just force myself to play and beat it sometime.

This is a pretty good list. Happy to see Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Nier: Automata on there.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
No Life Is Strange?

tenor.gif

I kid (kinda)! Interesting list on the whole.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's a list of their staffers' favourite games, why should they include 'big' or 'important' games?
It's fine when they want to create a list only based on their staffers tastes and leave out some of the "best" games.
They shouldn't call their list "best video games of the decade" then tho because that title suggest some form of objectivity.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It's fine when they want to create a list only based on their staffers tastes and leave out some of the "best" games.
They shouldn't call their list "best video games of the decade" then tho because that title suggest some form of objectivity.
There is no form of objectivity when it comes to an individual (or group of individuals) 'best' games list. Even metacritic is an aggregate of subjective opinions.

May 17, 2018
"The Witcher 3 is the best RPG ever made."

:::goes on to only discuss two story elements:::

I love that game a lot, but, I think the best RPG ever made should have a great combat system in it as well.