• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
This is true, they are already announced and coming to Paladins in the next update but these ads are 100% optional. If you don't want to accept them they will never appear in your game.
I don't mind it if it's optional thing in F2P games.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
OOMhPSd.jpg
MPaXQGpm.png

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is true, they are already announced and coming to Paladins in the next update but these ads are 100% optional. If you don't want to accept them they will never appear in your game.
I don't mind it if it's optional thing in F2P games.

Yeah, it's the mobile game 'watch an ad if you want to get some in-game currency thing'.

People already jump through crazy hoops to grind in-game currency in free-to-play games if they don't want to spend any money in them. I imagine they'll happily do this.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Merged two topics about the same thing here if anyone's confused.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
This is directly from Paladins site, from their patch notes for the next update:

Additional Coin Earning

Starting this patch, we've implemented a new feature where players will have the option of watching ads in-game to earn Gold, Bounty Coins, and other rewards. Now we know you probably have a few questions and we wanted to be upfront and clear about a few things:

-These ads are completely optional. Players that would like to earn rewards via this new feature will need to click the new "Earn Free Rewards!" button on the home menu and opt in for an ad to start playing. If you don't opt in, you'll never see an ad and your Paladins experience will be the same as always. We will never add forced or unskippable ads to Paladins, ever.

-Ads shown are of a quality and standard that you'd see on TV or other mainstream video service providers or streaming platforms. Nothing cheap or sketchy.

-If you watch an ad, you will always receive a reward. Every ad watched will award 100 Gold and you can also earn other rewards like Bounty Coins and Boosters for watching multiple ads.

I am not sure will it work in the same way in other games.

Source: https://www.paladins.com/news/genlock-update-notes

Last edited:

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
We just get games loading in seconds and now we will get adverts to leng it out? Fuck off if that's the case.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
We just get games loading in seconds and now we will get adverts to leng it out? Fuck off if that's the case.

See below. This is 'manually select an option to watch an ad in exchange for some currency in a free to play game'.

Not 'watch ads before you're allowed to start your $70 game'.

This is directly from Paladins site, from their patch notes for the next update:

Additional Coin Earning

Starting this patch, we've implemented a new feature where players will have the option of watching ads in-game to earn Gold, Bounty Coins, and other rewards. Now we know you probably have a few questions and we wanted to be upfront and clear about a few things:

-These ads are completely optional. Players that would like to earn rewards via this new feature will need to click the new "Earn Free Rewards!" button on the home menu and opt in for an ad to start playing. If you don't opt in, you'll never see an ad and your Paladins experience will be the same as always. We will never add forced or unskippable ads to Paladins, ever.

-Ads shown are of a quality and standard that you'd see on TV or other mainstream video service providers or streaming platforms. Nothing cheap or sketchy.

-If you watch an ad, you will always receive a reward. Every ad watched will award 100 Gold and you can also earn other rewards like Bounty Coins and Boosters for watching multiple ads.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Additional Coin Earning

Source: https://www.paladins.com/news/genlock-update-notes
See below. This is 'manually select an option to watch an ad in exchange for some currency in a free to play game'.

Not 'watch ads before you're allowed to start your $70 game'.

Hmm, do we know how these ads are delivered? I assume it's a stream delivered from a server rather than the ads downloaded to your system and then only play if you opt in.

Because if it's through streaming, it would be interesting to see if you could block the ads in some fashion (through simple IP/domain blocking or through a custom DNS like Pi-Hole) and still collect the rewards.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
Granted, I just think it makes sense. I'm playing a number of F2P games and spending 0 money. If this is how they want to monetize me and keep giving me no genuine reason to spend money, I'm ok with it.
if its one of those "if you watch this you win more resources" or so, i'm ok with, just don't insert a ad between matches or loading times.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Sorry y'all, welcome to 2009

double fusion did this years and years ago, Sony rolled it out at one point (and pulled it back pretty quickly)

https://www.ign.com/articles/2009/08/03/wipeout-hd-getting-hd-in-game-advertisements

youtu.be

Wipeout HD In-Game Ad's !??!

ad for State Farm on the wipeout loading screen??? Can't believe they have in-game ad's on wipe out HDCheck out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX4...

because:

youtu.be

Wipeout HD load time with and without advertising

UPDATE: The ads have been REMOVED! In recent news, Sony has pulled the ads from the game, so this video is obsolete. While it's always possible that this c...

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
God I hope not. It's already annoying on the Home Screen of PS4 when trying to get to YouTube or on Series S in general.

Also makes me glad I'm switching to PC cuz worst case scenario I mod that bullshit out.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
we said the same thing about DLC in 2006 and microtransactions around 2010

most people just dont care
Or rather, there's nothing anyone can do. These companies have complete control over the type of content you love. This will most likely be normalized in a few years with maybe some backlash that will ultimately do nothing whatsoever.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I've seen my wife playing piece-of-shit mobile games that do this already. If it happens in a game I've paid for, it's going back to the store.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
If it's just F2P, meh. I honestly just assumed this was what F2P games were currently doing lol. They certainly were on mobile as of several years ago. If the product is free, then you're the product etc. I don't play them, for this and other reasons.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
EA is definitely gonna put this in their sports games and say it's for a more authentic sports viewing experience.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Honestly, its F2P I wouldn't care too much. Servers aren't free and they have to make money somehow. If I really enjoyed a game, I'd hate for it to shut down just because it didn't have the perfect ratio of Whales to Players. And a commercial between matches while I'm waiting in the lobby would be far and beyond one of the least intrusive ways to go about it, and would be then perfect spot because like with TV you can get up to go get a snack or use the bathroom while waiting for the next match. And if you really hated them that much, they could probably add in a Micro-transaction to get rid of them

That said, if its a paid game, fuck-the-hell-no to that.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Seems like a handily tool for f2p games. They may add them while the game is filling the lobby, in loading screens or when a player is waiting to be revived.

I remember patcher saying this would be a thing somewhere around 2010, it took long.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
I thought the increase in game prices was meant to stop all of this? Oh, so game companies are greedy selfish bastards after all! Who knew.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I thought the increase in game prices was meant to stop all of this? Oh, so game companies are greedy selfish bastards after all! Who knew.

Guys, even on mobile, this is reserved for F2P games only. Nobody's going to put video ads in a paid game.
Going from $0 to $0 isn't an 'increase in game prices'.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
FTP games…for now.

Glad I don't play any of those. Finally quit Hearthstone a couple weeks back, and I don't miss it.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
No way this doesn't get adopted for full priced games down the line just like any other monetization scheme, all we can hope for is that it fails before they try to pull it on COD Black Ops 7 or Madden 2026

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
$70 games with lootbox microtransaction-hell + ads.

EA. It's in the game.

I fucking hope not, if they put this stuff in the new BF game, you can count me out. There is probably a way to block this mess via router, right?