• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
source.mov
Clucking great at a guess
Lol took me way too long to figure out what the hell you to were on f me.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
It's a looker for sure. I tried it quickly on my desktop screen but decided I definitely should wait until I put up my new GX65.

About lowkey dropping games... I feel Microsoft doesnt even bother promoting their own games very much any more. They keep pusing gamepass at all times, which is great ofc, but wouldnt harm them to push their GAMES as well. Ori 2, Battletoads, and now what looks like a stunning DLC for a key franchise of theirs.. barely pushed.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
Xbox have some wizards working on their games. Was watching some comparison videos and even on the one s I was impressed. It's crazy the change UE3 to 4 was considering most games made on 3 had that very UE3 look. 4 just seems to support way more art style aesthetics and gameplay design systems.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Judging from screenshots in this very thread there's absolutely zero next gen graphics in this DLC. It's all art and assets. And I think that this will be painfully obvious once real next gen games will start coming out.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Judging from screenshots in this very thread there's absolutely zero next gen graphics in this DLC. It's all art and assets. And I think that this will be painfully obvious once real next gen games will start coming out.

It's running at a visual fidelity significantly above what the last gen consoles can deliver. Ergo, it's next gen.

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019

The game that will look better than Gears 5 is Gears 6 :)

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
You're absolutely right, I can see people disagreeing with you though.

Gears 5 has always been a looker, even on the base Xbox one. It has always looked and ran amazingly, Series S/X amplifies that but the difference between Gears 5 and a next gen Gears 6 could be pretty massive.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Gears 5 already looks bonkers on the Series X to be honest. Coalition is gonna be melting eyes with their next game

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Gears 5 didn't get the credit it deserves. It was as good as any AAA if not better from 2019.

couldn't agree more. Was the first gears game I finished since the first in the series! It's an incredible looking game and on series x it's even better. However, for whatever reason it's just been overlooked as "dude bro" fodder

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
couldn't agree more. Was the first gears game I finished since the first in the series! It's an incredible looking game and on series x it's even better. However, for whatever reason it's just been overlooked as "dude bro" fodder
I think it's just a little out of flavor these days. For whatever reason, Gears still doesn't feel like it significantly evolved since the original trilogy. The core gameplay loop is fun, but the game's structure and encounter design just doesn't feel in line with 2020 expectations. I liked 5 a lot, and honestly have no idea how I'd evolve the franchise for modern audiences, but I don't think it'll ever be in the upper echelon of AAA games again in its current format.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Yeah,you can tell just by the Achievements that a lot of people dont even know this is out...the 3 cheevos I got where diamond ones with .06 % or lower scores.

I just finished the part on the lava,man that was intense lol,great set pieces like always.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Gears 5 looked excellent on PC and on the Series X so this isn't a surprise. Hivebusters is still very much the same old Gears and it's definitely getting a stale at this point.

This needed to be ready to go on Series X launch day to make people notice it, right now it's completely under the radar and most people don't even seem to know it exists.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Gears 5 looked excellent on PC and on the Series X so this isn't a surprise. Hivebusters is still very much the same old Gears and it's definitely getting a stale at this point.

This needed to be ready to go on Series X launch day to make people notice it, right now it's completely under the radar and most people don't even seem to know it exists.
People who play gears notice it, I'm sure articles like this will help.

most other shooting fans are probably playing COD on Xbox right now

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
People who play gears notice it, I'm sure articles like this will help.

most other shooting fans are probably playing COD on Xbox right now

Yeah big Gears fans probably know but if it was available day one and pitched as a "show piece" to try for people starved of next gen content it would have got a lot more traction overall I'd think.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Just curious when you check for new game pass games on console do you go into the store or look in your my game and app library?

I do the latter as it was faster than the store last gen and Microsoft used to have a row advertising new games. However that new game row hasn't been updated since day of the tentacle dropped. I think it's would be beneficial if they updated that part of the OS to show new releases and maybe put the coming soon games in another section for organization. Those who use that library list for discovery might be missing out on games getting updated.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yeah big Gears fans probably know but if it was available day one and pitched as a "show piece" to try for people starved of next gen content it would have got a lot more traction overall I'd think.
I think people are under estimating just how much people had to play on Xbox with Gamepass. It didn't need to be a show piece, it's a mini campaign, all it needs to be is new content for Gamepass, it just so happens to be gorgeous and best looking third person shooter out there.

Hive busters did what it was meant to do
Make me go "oh shit i don't have to pay for this?" And give me a random brand new thing to play during a snow storm.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The thing I like about Gears 5 is how consistently high quality everything across the board looks, even in motion. There's nothing you can really notice that sticks out and looks bad. It's just visually extremely well polished and cohesively put together.

There's plenty of games that look "better" but they either have things like volumetric lighting/shadows/reflections that look bad, bad IQ or just start falling apart in motion due to poor TAA (RDR 2 for example).

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
It certainly looks clean and there's a lot of foliage density, but yeah, these screenshots aren't blowin' my nuts off or anything. It just looks like Gears 5.

Maybe it translates better in motion.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
The thing I like about Gears 5 is how consistently high quality everything across the board looks, even in motion. There's nothing you can really notice that sticks out and looks bad. It's just visually extremely well polished and cohesively put together.

There's plenty of games that look "better" but they either have things like volumetric lighting/shadows/reflections that look bad, bad IQ or just start falling apart in motion do to poor TAA (RDR 2 for example).
They're wizards with Unreal Engine. Truly.

It certainly looks clean and there's a lot of foliage density, but yeah, these screenshots aren't blowin' my nuts off or anything. It just looks like Gears 5.

If you play on 4k/hdr the picture is unmistakably fantastic.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

If you weren't impressed by Gears 5 then this won't be anything special, it's 95% the same graphically with a different location.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Looking forward to playing this hopefully this weekend.
Definitely can't wait to see what The Coalition does with Unreal Engine 5.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
MĂ©xico
If you weren't impressed by Gears 5 then this won't be anything special, it's 95% the same graphically with a different location.

I disagree, compare the first playable scene in Gears 5, with the water and foliage vs the first playable scene in HiveBuster and there is a difference, not like different generations, but it is noticeable.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Just played on an LG C9 65" 4K HDR OLED with XSX. Yes the environmental detail and density and clarity is beautiful, and it plays smoothly and has very sharp graphics. I guess the mediocre character faces take me out of the immersion though.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It's running on last gen consoles though.

lol. That's immaterial.
There's a reason why Digital Foundry hailed Miles Morales as 'next gen' despite being crossgen.

Hivebusters on series x runs at quality settings that last gen can't match. Plus added techniques like VRS that are exclusive to next gen.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Oh is it an actual story? Thought hivebusters just got an update. May check out gears 5 again

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I disagree, compare the first playable scene in Gears 5, with the water and foliage vs the first playable scene in HiveBuster and there is a difference, not like different generations, but it is noticeable.
Yeah, that very first location in the base Gears 5 campaign never blew me away. Something about the water looked a little off to me. It's certainly a good looking area over all, but not mind-blowing (though considering it targeted 60fps on One X, it is technically impressive).

The jungle locations in Hivebusters is a huge step up to me. They look incredible.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Ummmm this is fkn incredible!! Like Jesus this is something else. This is the most next gen shit I have experienced to date!

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
To be fair though aren't both consoles still pretty much sold out? I mean it's still launch period for most people probably just like RTX 30XX cards.

Jun 15, 2020
Series X is my first Xbox.
Gears 5 is the first game I played (and have now beaten). Oh what an amazing and underrated game.

There are tons of jaw dropping moments, tons of modes, and this DLC looks incredible. The campaign was a ton of fun.

Can't wait to jump in tonight.
Make sure you play Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, every series X owner must try this. Even if you hate games like this slap it on easy and just play it, it's one of the most beautiful games I have seen to date. It's a great view I to what awaits us all this coming Gen!

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Damn that looks stunning! I need to get back and finish Gears 5, my coop buddy and I were loving it but we kinda got distracted by other games and never finished it.

I wonder if this DLC is more demanding on PC.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Why can't folks just acknowledge a game looks great?

Also, if this game happens to be one of the best looking titles on Series X, and in this state it could not run on One X, why the hell do we have to be so pedantic about saying it looks 'next-gen'. The 'next-gen' gate-keeping needs to stop.

Edit: Forgot to say - agreed, looks stupidly good. I'm pretty close to giving the Gears franchise a shot after mostly ignoring it for the last 15 years

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Here are a handful more screens I took.

sFNWvkR.jpeg

htgaFZi.jpeg

Mvx8Xid.jpeg

gngpIOd.jpeg

ZNetjNk.jpeg

I think it does. Atleast in the screenshots you posted. 60fps Frostbite games look better imo. Doom too. It looks good though in general from what I've seen but so did Gears 5.

Feel free to link some actual in-game screens of these games you feel look better. As someone who has a top-tier PC, played Demon's Souls on PS5, played a lot of Frostbite games on PC and Series X, and played every next-gen optimized game I can get my hands on (around 25 so far), I'd say this is easily the best looking Xbox Series X game, and quite possibly the best looking game across both Series X and PS5 right now.

I won't disagree that the screens don't by any means do the game justice though. It looks great in screens, but absolutely stunning in person. If I were to compare this to say Demon's Souls, I'd say Demon's Souls has some absolutely gorgeous moments. But I'd also say that, perhaps due to it originally being a PS3 game, those set piece type moments are often set aside while you trudge through Dungeons regularly without impressive vistas or many wow moments.

In Hivebusters, every inch, and every angle of the game looks incredible. It's really a sight to behold in motion, running at a flawless 60fps, with some insane visual effects going on regularly, especially in the lava and fire scenes, gorgeous lighting and shadows, it's brimming with excellent materials, incredibly high-res textures, and excellent looking SSR, and quite possibly the best HDR implementation I've seen. I've also never seen foliage and forest look this gorgeous and with such regularly beautiful artistry, especially in those twisting trees, nevermind at such great image quality.

Here's a taste, perhaps I'll record some actual 4k 60fps footage on my elgato to illustrate. But compare that 2nd screen above to this video, and notice the all the particles, VFX, and general chaos going 360 degrees around the player.

https://gameclipscontent-d3006.xboxlive.com/xuid-2533274806552056-private/df3f7474-1894-4390-a4b3-ba32583393aa.MP4?sv=2015-12-11&sr=b&si=DefaultAccess&sig=XPXolRrM8V3PQUnXAn/qx/1yKHiqtuNJBQAsfEOnjoE=&__gda__=1608195805_beb910cfbcca09c36ff165e0bbbd0cc4

Last edited: