• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 17, 2018
I'll download this tonight. I got to the open world section on Gears 5 and didn't care for it. I'll champ through it though because the game itself is fun as hell.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I saw this pop-up today and didn't know what it was. Looks like I'm going to need to download it!!

Edit**

My copy of Gears 5 did update recently. Was that part of the update, or do I need to download something separate??
It's in the update , but you need to have the unlock from the store

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't find it that impressive looking, but I've always felt that way about Gears 5

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, you have a 3-person squad in the game, and it supports 3-player co-op.

Sounds great. Was disappointed to hear that the 3rd player in regular Gears 5 controls Jack the robot as some friends and I planned to play it over Christmas. I'll just play the original campaign by myself and then do the DLC with them.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds great. Was disappointed to hear that the 3rd player in regular Gears 5 controls Jack the robot as some friends and I planned to play it over Christmas. I'll just play the original campaign by myself and then do the DLC with them.

Note that I haven't actually tried it—but the DLC states it supports 3-player co-op, and your squad in the game is 3 human characters and no robot, so that's my assumption.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I honestly don't find it that impressive looking, but I've always felt that way about Gears 5

It's probably the cleanest/prettiest (AAA) 60fps game that exists on consoles across the board. What are you playing it on?

It looks insane on my 65" 4k/HDR10 set, and I'm talking about the regular campaign. I haven't played this expansion yet.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Series X is my first Xbox.
Gears 5 is the first game I played (and have now beaten). Oh what an amazing and underrated game.

There are tons of jaw dropping moments, tons of modes, and this DLC looks incredible. The campaign was a ton of fun.

Can't wait to jump in tonight.
Gears 5 didn't get the credit it deserves. It was as good as any AAA if not better from 2019.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I'm very excited to play this next week when Best Buy gets me the Series X I got yesterday. It'll be nice to play something short and spectacular after doing nothing but grinding for Ghost of Tsushima's platinum trophy on PS5.

Whether it be Gears of War 6 or a new IP or both, I am incredibly interested in seeing The Coalition go work on Series S|X. They are one of the most talented, technologically advanced studios XGS has.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Can't wait to jump in this weekend!
Gears 5 is the first game I played (and have now beaten). Oh what an amazing and underrated game.

There are tons of jaw dropping moments, tons of modes, and this DLC looks incredible. The campaign was a ton of fun.

To be fair, Epic did add a lot of color with Gears 3 already. But, yeah, TC definitely doubled down (in a good way).

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
How's it looking on the last-hen consoles?
source.mov

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019

I found gears 2 and 3 merely okay. I found 4 and 5 to be amazing at least from a single player perspective

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
It's probably the cleanest/prettiest (AAA) 60fps game that exists on consoles across the board. What are you playing it on?

It looks insane on my 65" 4k/HDR10 set, and I'm talking about the regular campaign. I haven't played this expansion yet.
Definitely not true. There is still a very aggressive geometry culling solution generating flickers at the edges of the screen and I thought the game had a surprisingly high level of pop-in compared to what I was expecting. Demon's Souls is definitely a much simpler game but it's a lot cleaner (with lower resolution at 60fps though).

Hivebusters seems a bit cleaner than the base game from what I've played, so I don't know if it's running with different settings.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
So this is completely stand alone?

i jumped into Gears 5 when I got my Series X, but as I had not played the series since the original game.

I had no idea who most of the characters were and just moved on to another game.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
I found gears 2 and 3 merely okay. I found 4 and 5 to be amazing at least from a single player perspective
Same. I actually got around to 4 a year or so after it came out cause I while I enjoyed Gears 2 and 3, I didn't really think they were as good as everyone else did. However, when I did get around to playing 4 I was honestly shocked how much I enjoyed it. 5 was even better in my estimation as I enjoyed the mini-open world segments and really enjoyed Kat as a protagonist versus JD. (I thought JD was *fine* in 4, but Kat was such a great character and it allowed them to do some character beats with JD in 5 that made him much more interesting. )

Excited to hear that Hivebusters is good stuff - not looking forward to the massive download - but definitely looking forward to checking this out.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

I was playing in 1440p ultra
I would also give DeS remake the edge here, but last gen it probably really was the prettiest 60fps game indeed. It just doesn't do it for me on stills.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Gears 5 (and especially Hivebusters) is one of the most beautiful games out there. It's also rrally fun to play. I can't wait to see what Gears 6 brings to the table.

While 343i is struggling with Halo, TC is doing an incredible job with the Gears franchise.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Going to dive in tonight. Even though this looks spectacular, I still hope that Gears 6 throws in some of the dour, grim settings from the first two games. Atmospheric, gothic levels will look incredible with Coalition working their UE magic.

Apr 21, 2018
Gears 5 didn't get the credit it deserves. It was as good as any AAA if not better from 2019.

Absolutely did not. I enjoyed my time with Gears 5 much more than Uncharted 4.

Can't wait to jump in this weekend!

To be fair, Epic did add a lot of color with Gears 3 already. But, yeah, TC definitely doubled down (in a good way).

I am definitely excited to go back and play Gears 2,3, and 4. I've heard good things. (I played Gears 1 already back in the day). I don't know much about Judgement.

I appreciate that the Gears franchise know exactly what it wants to be. There is no walking-simulator story parts, forced platforming, or puzzle-lite stuff. It's just balls-out alien-killing marine action -- and the campaign's never outstay their welcome. It embodies exactly what I want a video game to be. It's the modern-day Contra.

Here is am gushing about Gears and I havn't even played Hivebusters.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Besides the first chapter, I love how intense were the second and third act, the squad riding on lava must be one of my favorite stages in the series

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
It looks amazing,I just whish I could find the perfect brightness/Contrast/HDR setting on my 900e because it's too dark sometime...not black crush dark just overall,I have a hard time seeing ennemies lets say in Chapter 2 in those tunnels...

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry for being the 1000th person to ask this: sounds like the best way to save space (I don't already have Gears 5 installed) is to install base Gears 5, wait until the download reaches the point you can launch the game, then go in and tell it to download Hivebusters and delete the rest.

Is that right?

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
It looks amazing,I just whish I could find the perfect brightness/Contrast/HDR setting on my 900e because it's too dark sometime...not black crush dark just overall,I have a hard time seeing ennemies lets say in Chapter 2 in those tunnels...
Personal preference of course but I bump the gamma to 1 and the black level to 48, I get a nice picture with that and don't lose any details in dark areas.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Same. I actually got around to 4 a year or so after it came out cause I while I enjoyed Gears 2 and 3, I didn't really think they were as good as everyone else did. However, when I did get around to playing 4 I was honestly shocked how much I enjoyed it. 5 was even better in my estimation as I enjoyed the mini-open world segments and really enjoyed Kat as a protagonist versus JD. (I thought JD was *fine* in 4, but Kat was such a great character and it allowed them to do some character beats with JD in 5 that made him much more interesting. )

Excited to hear that Hivebusters is good stuff - not looking forward to the massive download - but definitely looking forward to checking this out.
I think the main reason i liked it more as the main characters seem to have more of their own characteristics rather than follow Stereo types with a sprinkle of personality. add in that their is more areas that do not all look the same as i recall alot of 2 just blending together it is a better game from a single player perspective.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I agree,
the game looks stunning on Series X at 4k 60 (I'm sure it uses temporal resolution just like the main game).

Here are some screens I've taken:

isjgfUo.jpg

OQWjAtN.jpg

w5976JE.jpg

QRT0Sje.jpg

Sorry for being the 1000th person to ask this: sounds like the best way to save space (I don't already have Gears 5 installed) is to install base Gears 5, wait until the download reaches the point you can launch the game, then go in and tell it to download Hivebusters and delete the rest.

Is that right?

Yes,
go into options and scroll right to the bottom, you can choose not to install the main campaign and MP.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017

Is that right?

Yes, sounds about right.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
At times like this, it hurts not having a 4k tv with HDR. Oh well, itll probably still blow everything out of the water at 1080p.