• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ultimately, games streaming is serving the role that Android-based microconsoles served in the last console generation transition.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Maybe not. 5G starting a "wide roll out" in 2020. Meaning it is right in time for Next gen and the future thereafter. Let's try not to pretend that this space doesn't move quickly when the big Telcoms all try to beat each other, especially in the United States. Verizon, ATT and T-Mobile are all incentivized to beat each other here. That's great news for us.
5g is irrelevant.
mobile protocols are incompatible with real gaming streaming due to built in latency.
The pie in the sky promise of 5g are only valid with direct line of sight and really close to the antenna. every 5g provider will fall down to non millimeters bands outside of very specific locations, they can"t even get it right within a whole stadium.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Are you just a blatant troll or something? Why did you bring up upstream bandwidth?
what. do you even understand how input latency works? how google processes it versus every other tech company is different, thats why. Moreover, it was brought up in context to the denial that 5G won't be important in game streaming.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
what. do you even understand how input latency works?

Yes, I do, and it has absolutely nothing to do with upstream bandwidth.

So why again did you bring up upstream bandwidth?

Pretty fucking obvious you are confusing it for latency and are hilariously wrong and being condescending at the same time lol

how google processes it versus every other tech company is different, thats why.

LOL wut

Moreover, it was brought up in context to the denial that 5G won't be important in game streaming.

Yes which I've thoroughly discussed quite accurately here.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Game streaming will be the future when the technology is ready for it. Google Stadia itself is not that future (for now at least).

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Streaming will stick around, but it will remain relatively niche. Stadia itself probably won't stick around, at least not in it's current form. Personally, I don't care for a platform where I have no control or semblance of ownership.

With something like Steam, where I still don't technically "own" the games, at least the files are locally on my PC. With Stadia, if they decide to take your games, they're gone and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

You can't backup a streamed game.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Which platform did you try Stadia on?
Please stop doing this, people. This is a logical fallacy. I see this all the time. You don't have to personally interact with something to make an educated observation.

"Skydiving is dangerous."
"Oh, which skydiving company did you book?"

See?

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
VR raises the barrier to entry to gaming, Streaming practically eliminates it.
Buying a used console for 100 bucks with used games for 5 bucks each vs. having a high speed internet connection, a compatible device, a special streaming controller and a subscription. Hell the internet connection alone is a bigger barrier than a console could ever be.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Yes, I do, and it has absolutely nothing to do with upstream bandwidth.

So why again did you bring up upstream bandwidth?

Pretty fucking obvious you are confusing it for latency and are hilariously wrong and being condescending at the same time lol

LOL wut

Yes which I've thoroughly discussed quite accurately here.
You edited your post after I responded, which is fine. I'm not confusing anything. Your rant about how 5G isn't the savior (which I am not proposing that it is) suggested to me that you didn't understand how latency worked - so that is why i pointed out that upstream bandwidth is nothing to be concerned about. We are both on the same page about that. Anyhow, once 5G gets deployed on edge networks, latency will be cut down even further for game streaming. My point still stands - 5G will help drive game streaming tech.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Please stop doing this, people. This is a logical fallacy. I see this all the time. You don't have to personally interact with something to make an educated observation.

"Skydiving is dangerous."
"Oh, which skydiving company did you book?"

See?

If your "educated observation" is at odds with many first hand experiences, maybe your educated observation needs updating.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I would much rather prefer a future where games are developed and designed with the restrictions of hardware in mind as opposed to super powered PC servers beaming games with "endless" power to all devices.
We would almost have to go all the way back to the PS3 and earlier, since it became standard to use PC parts thanks to MS.

I'm totally not against this, btw

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
Not soon but eventually yeah, not sure Stadia will be the one with the market lead by the time that happens but as of right now Google provides the better streaming experience. If i could have Googles tech and Microsoft's library that would be perfect but right now i feel like every company has an obstacle that needs to be overtaken. For Xbox and PlayStation its latency, It feels MUCH worse than what Google Stadia provides, as for google? they need the games that make their platform worth checking out.

I don't think local hardware will die out but it will become the less popular option eventually, its just a matter of time.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If your "educated observation" is at odds with many first hand experiences, maybe your educated observation needs updating.
"I personally liked skydiving, therefore it's not dangerous."

There's a difference between liking your experience with Stadia and finding it viable long-term.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
I also remember when Mobile phones were meant to be the future of gaming and that Consoles were dying and would only last one more gen.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's hard to disagree, only question is how far away that future is, which is much harder to predict, especially on a WW scale, there's so much in the way of the future. I don't think Stadia itself willl be the future, but it will be how most platforms are in 10+ years, with dedicated hardware being more of a secondary thing.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

There's a difference between liking your experience with Stadia and finding it viable long-term.

Hi There. Stadia works well on a variety of connection types. Via the Chromecast+controller, the quality of the 4k stream is such that you'd be hard-pressed to tell it's a video stream, and the latency is down to a level where you'd need to a/b test with a console to tell the difference. It's good, particularly on 60fps games.

It's not quite as good on the browser where the video codec seems lower quality. It's much easier to tell you're looking at compressed video, but the latency is still practically imperceptible.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

To be fair, thebishop was quoting someone saying Stadia isn't that future, when the likelihood of them having played Stadia at all, let alone on different setups, is low. This whole site has a massive hate-boner against Stadia so there is a lot of this going around.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure many here have actually not even tried Stadia on a wired CC Ultra. The input delay is non-existent. The service itself has a lot of kinks to work out (pricing model), but it's undeniable that just by actually seeing and playing with Stadia in real-time, it's pure magic.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I can see cloud enhanced games happening but streaming will not completely take over. It might get a fan base for certain genres but not all games will need it and local hardware will still play a role. Even if internet connections are perfect people will want to play in bed or outside on portables without any hassle. There's also developing markets like China, India, Turkey, Russia which have far from perfect connections and will not have them even 10 years from now but those markets will grow significantly the next 5 to 10 years.

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
1) Next year marks the tenth anniversary of OnLive's launch. Stadia's latency is not a noticable improvement over what OnLive produced back in the day. The "internet infrastructure will improve" argument is bunk.
2) 5G will have worse latency than a wired connection. Largely because 5G is itself reliant on wired connections. Remember: latency and bandwidth are largely separate issues.
3) Every time a bunch of games journalists loudly declared X is the future of gaming, X then proceeds to fail within a couple of years. In this case, X is game streaming as a whole. It's failed before, and I fully expect Xcloud will follow PSNow in being a niche interest. Stadia's is already a punchline.

#1 is a lie, Stadia is in terms of latency lightyears ahead of onlive also a lot better than the other streaming services that currently exist. say about stadia what you want, the tech is not the problem here. Guess you tried it yourself if you can say it like that?

Hi There. Stadia works well on a variety of connection types. Via the Chromecast+controller, the quality of the 4k stream is such that you'd be hard-pressed to tell it's a video stream, and the latency is down to a level where you'd need to a/b test with a console to tell the difference. It's good, particularly on 60fps games.

It's not quite as good on the browser where the video codec seems lower quality. It's much easier to tell you're looking at compressed video, but the latency is still practically imperceptible.

Can absolutely approve that. Having the same experience and also all others in our office that tested it there and afterwards at home. Always reminds me a bit of VR. You just can talk about it all day long, it won't change someones mind if the person doesn't try it themselves.

To be fair, thebishop was quoting someone saying Stadia isn't that future, when the likelihood of them having played Stadia at all, let alone on different setups, is low. This whole site has a massive hate-boner against Stadia so there is a lot of this going around.

Ya reminds of another site i used to visit a few years ago... wtf happened. Conspiracy theories and tin hats everywhere...

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Pretty sure many here have actually not even tried Stadia on a wired CC Ultra. The input delay is non-existent. The service itself has a lot of kinks to work out (pricing model), but it's undeniable that just by actually seeing and playing with Stadia in real-time, it's pure magic.

Pricing model is only an issue because there's an expectation that Google will shut down the service, locking you out of your games forever. I can't say that won't happen, but it is obviously not what's in Google's interest.

In reality, its awesome to buy a game and be playing it seconds later. It's more convenient to buy a game for $60 on Stadia than $60 on PSN. I don't think we're entering a period where brand new games aren't still $60, so Stadia's pricing model is in line with every other platform.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
With consumer rights what they are in NA pertaining to digital goods, this is just another nail in the coffin for consumer rights.

Anyway, whatever happens, we will still have pre-existing hardwares.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Stadia charges on a per-game basis, correct?

Then it is not the future. That is a complete deal-breaker for the mass market.

Streaming may be the primary way to play games at some point in the future, but any streaming service that succeeds will charge a simple monthly/annual fee.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Stadia charges on a per-game basis, correct?

Then it is not the future. That is a complete deal-breaker for the mass market.

Streaming may be the primary way to play games at some point in the future, but any streaming service that succeeds will charge a simple monthly/annual fee.

These aren't mutually exclusive just as they aren't on basically every platform. There will be multiple subscription pools of games on Stadia just like there are on Xbox, PlayStation and PC.

I still don't understand how the economics are going to work that one subscription fee gets you access to every brand new game from every publisher. It doesn't exist anywhere.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Digital only will come long before streaming becomes the future and stadia certainly won't be it.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk, Stadia does have the potential, but as long as datacaps exist as well as capped speeds, it will never reach its full potential. Stadia has a huge barrier to overcome for it to actually be the true future of gaming.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I appreciate you going through the trouble to describe your experience. However, many of the current issues people have with it (myself included) go beyond stream quality. You can have a service that nails the quality but falls short in quality-of-life or viability.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Real talk, Stadia does have the potential, but as long as datacaps exist as well as capped speeds, it will never reach its full potential. Stadia has a huge barrier to overcome for it to actually be the true future of gaming.

Data caps are a real problem, but they're going to be a real problem for next gen games on services like gamepass and ps now too. 1TB is not enough when games are generally > 100GB. I don't like our post-net neutrality world one bit, but my guess is that Google would make a deal with the ISPs before they'd let their service be doomed by data caps.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Full price and a sub for the priviledge of playing games you dont own.

Corporations love these types of potential hellscapes. So consumers should push back

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I appreciate you going through the trouble to describe your experience. However, many of the current issues people have with it (myself included) go beyond stream quality. You can have a service that nails the quality but falls short in quality-of-life or viability.

Quality of life: never waiting for another download, HDD install, or firmware update again.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
These aren't mutually exclusive just as they aren't on basically every platform. There will be multiple subscription pools of games on Stadia just like there are on Xbox, PlayStation and PC.

I still don't understand how the economics are going to work that one subscription fee gets you access to every brand new game from every publisher. It doesn't exist anywhere.

Of course it doesn't exist. Doesn't exist with movies, either. But Stadia isn't even trying. It doesn't even offer a library for a monthly fee, it's 100% "pay full price for games". That's a non-starter. Something like Game Pass, which does attempt to always have new, notable titles in it, is what it will take to make a streaming service succeed.

Beastlove

Nov 1, 2017
Streaming is the long term future of gaming but that future doesn't necessarily belong to Google. It is like saying smart phones belong to Nokia in the late 90s because of their dominant position.

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think you'll be surprised how minor a factor this is.
Which is part of the problem, people compare it to other services or just assume high latency, which is absolutely not true. People just need to test it. Will be interesting to see how it will be perceived when it gets integrated on youtube and trials exist. I also never expected it to be the way it is until i tried it.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Quality of life: never waiting for another download, HDD install, or firmware update again.
Counterpoint: Never truly owning these games again. I made this point earlier in the thread, too. I would never trade ownership for convenience. Again, this is all opinion, but that's just one person's single complaint, and I have many more. There's bandwidth/data cap issues, offline availability issues, input lag (for competitive/fighting games, I know it's unnoticeable for a majority), intermittent connection issues, straight up unavailability to some markets due to a lack of bandwidth, zero support for modding, zero support for fan patches/changes, performance issues unfixable, etc. I could go on.

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Counterpoint: Never truly owning these games again. I made this point earlier in the thread, too. I would never trade ownership for convenience. Again, this is all opinion, but that's just one person's single complaint, and I have many more. There's bandwidth/data cap issues, offline availability issues, input lag (for competitive/fighting games, I know it's unnoticeable for a majority), intermittent connection issues, straight up unavailability to some markets due to a lack of bandwidth, zero support for modding, zero support for fan patches/changes, performance issues unfixable, etc. I could go on.

So you only own physical games? If steam kills your account, you also lose everything. A lot of what you state could also be applied to console gaming and mod support is also planned even though i believe it will be comparable to the mod support of skyrim/fallout 4 on consoles. So not the real deal as on pc, but still.

john_ick

Dec 4, 2018
Why this aggressive headline "whether you like it or not"?

Hopefully it is still up to us gamers to determine the future of gaming, and not multinational mega-corporations.