• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone even asking for this garbage besides a small minority of gamers? These sites need to give it a rest. Come back and try again in 10 years.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
lol. If the future is just a new way to make the same stuff we are all screwed

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im sure its the future.... In a game pass form with the option to buy the games to play locally. There's a reason vinyl came back people wanna own their shit while still enjoying spotify

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i don't want anything to do with it.

when the day comes that i can't build a PC then i will give up gaming.

i do think streaming has a place but i can't see PC going anywhere.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
How much money did they get for that article?

Streaming can be the future, but not Google Stadia.
How on earth are companies going to make money if everything will be behind a subscription. Subscription cost lets say 10 bucks a month how much of that money is going to each company. You can't expect Triple A games like the GTA series to be there.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone even asking for this garbage besides a small minority of gamers? These sites need to give it a rest. Come back and try again in 10 years.

A lot of people can't afford dedicated hardware each gen. Dunno why so many on this board feel the need to shit on technology that allows more people to enjoy games.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If we want to compare Stadia to iPhone, I remember quite well that before, during, and after iPhone launch I couldn't go anywhere without hearing friends, family, coworkers, etc. talking about it.

I've never heard anyone talk about Stadia except on the Internet.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud streaming is certainly going to be a bigger hit than like... VR or something. I've let a few of my friends and family try PSNow and they didn't perceive a difference. Whatever gets more people playing games.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
the day stream will be the only option is the day I will stop playing games.

Since I'm old(37) I have probably only 5-10 more years of game with good reflexes. Stream will not kill dedicated hardware in the next 10 years.

Jun 26, 2018
A lot of people can't afford dedicated hardware each gen. Dunno why so many on this board feel the need to shit on technology that allows more people to enjoy games.

But stadia isn't really aimed at the poor though? Don't you need to live in an area with good internet (and to be able to afford good internet).

Also what about datacaps?

FreeangelGP05

Oct 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The internet infrastructure in the US is going to take a lot more than ten years to fix and improve. Game streaming will have its place, but physical consoles/hardware will still be the most popular in my opinion.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
But stadia isn't really aimed at the poor though? Don't you need to live in an area with good internet (and to be able to afford good internet).

Also what about datacaps?

Yes you are right about Stadia specifically. However streaming as a concept/technology is really helpful to people who can't afford consoles. PS Now is a good example.

Neko_No_Naku

Jan 9, 2018
Stadia /= streaming.

And personally streaming systems based on game purchases and not suscription-based (you pay for access to the library) are a no for me.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Convenience always beats quality and all other considerations, so yes. Unfortunately streaming will be a dominant way to play in 10+ years. Not necessarily on Stadia though.

I hate it. And I was there using Onlive when it launched 10 years ago.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
The first thing that Stadia will need to do before it becomes the future of gaming is actually live up to the bare bones of their promises. Like ACTUAL 4K60 output on their games! If they can't even do that, then there is no point in even thinking about anything else.
The next-gen consoles will be able to push 4K60 native and without video compression, the SSDs will provide comparable or even faster loading times than Stadia. So at that point what does Stadia have going in its favor? No downloading times and being able to switch from one device to another? That's cool, but hardly a reason to switch over, since if you already have an internet connection capable of running Stadia to any acceptable degree then you'll be able to download most games and have them be playable before you even finish diner. Switching from one device to another is great, but with remote play on Playstation and console streaming with xCloud you'd be able to do that anyway with some initial setup.

Jun 26, 2018
Yes you are right about Stadia specifically. However streaming as a concept is really helpful to people who can't afford consoles. PS Now is a good example.

Do people talk about PS now in the same way as they do about Stadia?

I feel a lot of the animosity towards stadia specifically (with some splash back on streaming tech in general) has been around it's head in the skies marketing

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Yes, the future of games is paying $60 dollars for a license to stream a yearsold game, and then an additional monthly charge for 4K a resolution to be determined later.

Stadia is a fucking joke. I get that game streaming will be huge in the future, but Stadia as it exists now is a steaming pile.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017

I feel a lot of the animosity towards stadia specifically (with some splash back on streaming tech in general) has been around it's head in the skies marketing

I'm just going off of what I regularly see on Resetera. The hate for Stadia is understandably potent, however whenever streaming is mentioned there is always a legion of users arguing against streaming as a concept at all. It reminds me of the "hardcore vs casual" debates that were centered on the Wii, when the fear was every developer was going to stop making AAA games in favor of focusing on family/casual games.

My opinion is that there is room for all kinds of technologies, all kinds of games, and all kinds of people playing them.

And that's exactly how it's gonna be if you vote for me for President of Video Games in 2020.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
You have struck GOLD with that, and it's just the tip of the iceberg.

I ran 5G tests in Waxahachie, TX and Atlanta, GA for a not-to-be-named entity. Let's just say it went poorly. The frequencies released by the FCC that have been earmarked for '5G' as it will exist in North America are some of the least ideal for the purpose you can imagine. The frequency ranges are incredibly affected by physical occlusion, weather, reflective signal noise, etc. And the range is just terrible. To have a decent coverage area, you need a VERY dense hive of PHYSICALLY fibre-connected 5G base stations in an ideal setup. You can do some air-to-air mesh with them in the absence of wired, but you pay a significant penalty in bandwidth and signal reliability.

Basically it's something that will work okayish IF 5G providers absolutely blanket an area in nodes AND don't oversell the nodes as well. Seeing how ISPs and cell companies regularly oversell/overprovision their networks as it is (more profit for less infrastructure investment! Yay!), I pretty much know what to expect there.

But rural/last mile? Hahahahahaha. No. Even many suburbs will be chock full of dead spots and rough signal noise. The frequency range is just awful for this.
Yeah there's a ton of marketing behind 5G; but it's like people forgot the marketing behind 4G... and 3G... or any wireless tech really.

It's always first marketed based on unrealistic "theoretical" numbers, and then after that BS is set aside also unrealistic "perfect real world conditions" numbers.

These techs are all so "your mileage may vary"; and that can even change over time, for the worse even. At my workplace my cell phone went from working perfectly to not at all over the last 2 months. Best guess is one of the many recently built skyscrapers is fucking up the signal, but honestly I don't have any way of knowing why.

The same can happen for someone w/ a home wireless connection; and god forbid someone invest $100's of dollars into a streaming-only ecosystem only to move to a new location whose internet connection is not suitable for game streaming.

And yeah I DO NOT understand why anyone is saying/claiming 5G is going to solve the rural internet problem. Isn't it best suited for densely populated areas? I thought it relied on tons of short-distance towers to really be effective. Why does anyone think cell phone providers are going to build out expensive networks to reach rural users?

Low-orbit satelite is certainly another interesting future option; but come on.. do people really think that kind of tech isn't going to suffer from similar issues w/ other wireless techs? Packet loss, interuptions, etc.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
As long as regular ass conventional gaming is still a thing, bring on the streaming. I can't take advantage of streaming until I have actual choices in internet options, though.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Streaming, sure. Google Stadia specifically? Hmmmmmmmmmmm....
When you try it, and you understand. Also 5G is almost which will help; and that Google's tech is ahead of the curve; with this perhaps mindshare might change....(ah who am I kidding, everyone loves to hate everything Google). Also - who is not to say when Google's library gets more mature it might not do something like Gamepass?
You don't have to take an attack on Stadia as a personal attack, I promise.
Pinky swear?

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

There is a lot of console warring tied up in this. Just look at the xCloud stuff. You see people singing it's technical praises, but DFs testing showed it to be the same, if not worse than Stadia's offerings. So why the difference in response? I wonder.

There are many who have had it out for Google on this from the start, and you can bet that regardless of the reception, they would have been coming after it.

This stuff is why we can't have actual conversations about the future of streaming. People have so many other things tied up in it.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
there's a fundamental difference in not having access to game files vs streaming music and movies.

Not nearly as big of a difference as you think it is. Seriously. The digital video is a HUGELY similar thing that you guys keep trying to pretend is massively different. Its as if you all arent noticing the every growing percentage of game sales that are digital these days...

Somehow people remember it when they want to argue in NPD about the success of their favorite games though lol.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Quick, someone open up Google Calendar and mark the date so we can laugh at this article in a decade when streaming still isn't the go to for traditional gaming.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Not nearly as big of a difference as you think it is. Seriously. The digital video is a HUGELY similar thing that you guys keep trying to pretend is massively different. Its as if you all arent noticing the every growing percentage of game sales that are digital these days...

Somehow people remember it when they want to argue in NPD about the success of their favorite games though lol.
Mod a lot of videos, do you?

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
The minority of gamers are actually on this forum. We might be the hardcore that helps drive trends, but that's about it. Big Tech companies know they have to listen to us, but the market isn't just us. They cater to whole lot more than people who complain on here, twitter, and reddit.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Of course eventually it will be the future, but we are years and years off from that. Plus the biggest issue is internet cannot go faster than the speed of light.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Mod a lot of videos, do you?

Been a PC gamer since the mid 1990's. I've been modding since before it was common. Modding didn't stop consoles from growing in popularity the last 25 years, and its not going to stop game streaming from growing in the next. Carry it however you want, but modders LIKE ME aren't the majority. Never have been.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

You know digital sales still give you the exact same files on your device that physical sales do right? Which means you can still mod. Digital sales is not the same as streaming, which keeps the files offloaded on a device in the cloud.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I think it's way more complicated than the "inevitability" narrative constantly pushed once a new technology becomes beyond obvious.
If it's the future, than first other things will have to happen that change how games are made how they make their money back.
If it's merely a part of the future, than it'll still be a bumpy ride that the whole industry will have to adjust to and figure out.

They're going to also need to get this to a point where normal people can easily get it working without much effort or thinking about it, while also having the exact content they're interested in.

Another factor to consider is the growing bubble of subscription services that people will grow tired of. Everyone will not be able to keep adding on services to subscribe to, so the value of subscribing to a game streaming service will need to be netflix-big.

I guess I might be more convinced if I felt there was any problem or setback with the way things currently are.
Games made with the devices people use the most (iPhone, Android, etc) in mind are already being made.

I think xCloud is better positioned, also.

EDIT: Folks getting real tinfoil hat in here.

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
You know digital sales still give you the exact same files on your storage medium that physical sales do right? Which means you can still mod. Digital sales is not the same as streaming, which keeps the files offloaded on a device in the cloud.

You guys keep leaning on modding. Its hilarious really, because thats not even going to slow the adoption of this at all. Modding is significantly larger in the PC space than it is on consoles by a vast degree. Its not even a speed bump on consoles in comparison. We will continue to mod our games.... ON PC's.....

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its as if you all arent noticing the every growing percentage of game sales that are digital these days...
c4D0cNe.png

I'm predicting that the data for this year is probably 12% physical sales. The reason why game streaming is even coming into the market is because of this.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
This take, like the 10 others before it, is not only unnecessary but probably does not come with a side of any type of evidence that the writer was paid to say this.

Different opinion =/= paid opinion.
People are not stupid and u get that right? It is really easy to see when an article look like a PR and not only a just simple "opinion"

The title of the article already show is not a regular "opinion" he is trying to impose something.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Sure Jan.gif

Also USA is the biggest market for traditional video games (not f2p pc or mobile) but the worst at infrastructure that it fundamentally needs in order for this to work.

Can't explain that.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Been a PC gamer since the mid 1990's. I've been modding since before it was common. Modding didn't stop consoles from growing in popularity the last 25 years, and its not going to stop game streaming from growing in the next. Carry it however you want, but modders LIKE ME aren't the majority. Never have been.

Them: "there's a fundamental difference in not having access to game files vs streaming music and movies."

You: "Not nearly as big of a difference as you think it is. Seriously. The digital video is a HUGELY similar thing"

Me: "Mod a lot of videos, do you?"

You: "modders aren't in the majority"

I could swear there were some goalposts around here a second ago, but they seem to have up and damn moved. Weird.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Also 5g is right around the corner.

This is an entirely different topic entirely, but people really need to start getting more realistic about 5g. If by, "right around the corner" you mean, reliable, widespread 5g in 5 years? Sure. Otherwise, what's actually right around the corner is spotty 5g in select dense urban areas.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are not stupid and u get that right? It is really easy to see when an article look like a PR and not only a just simple "opinion"

The title of the article already show is not a regular "opinion" he is trying to impose something.

This doesn't prove that it is a PR piece, and the writer is someone who already expressed a dislike in Stadia due to its launch titles and the way it charges people for games.

I'm not saying that people are stupid, I'm saying that bringing derailing hot takes in that claim an article was paid for without literally any evidence isn't welcomed or needed.

"I think game streaming is the future" is an opinion that shouldn't warrant such chest thumping hot takes claiming they are taking money to have that opinion. Take it somewhere else.