• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You might think my head is in the clouds, but Google Stadia is the future of video games.

There's nothing quite like getting a new console – an actual console – and slotting it under your television. I can't wait to see the final designs for the next PlayStation and Xbox, and I'm certainly going to get them both. The thing is, there are a lot of people who actually hate consoles – and especially wires – taking up the centrepiece of a living room. My partner is one of them.

Industry analysts have been doomsaying about consoles since the dawn of time, but I really do think, in ten years or so, streaming will be the norm, just as it is for television. As internet infrastructure improves and the tech driving streaming services gets better alongside it, more and more people will opt for convenience and tidiness.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
The day that happens is when I will stop buying new videogames. Not owning the games in any physical format, or not having access to the files, is a big no to me.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would much rather prefer a future where games are developed and designed with the restrictions of hardware in mind as opposed to super powered PC servers beaming games with "endless" power to all devices.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I agree

Physical media likely won't ever die, but streaming is going to be huge at some point. Hard to tell when.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stadia itself may not be. Streaming itself will open up gaming to tons of new people, and will become the most convenient option for many. But only with subscriptions like Game Pass and PSNow: if you don't care enough about gaming (or don't have enough money) to invest in a sub-200 Euros device (what consoles can get to after a couple years) you also won't be shelling out 70 Euros a pop for a single game. A 10-15 bucks per month sub, however? Like hundreds of millions of people are already doing between services like Netflix or Spotify? That I can see.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
It's the future but I think the future is a good bit off until we get better internet speeds, prices, and better quality control from the producers of the services.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: drive-by posting
With Stadia, you can buy a game and play it immediately, no downloads. Loading times are short, there's no noticeable input lag, and the image quality makes it feel like some kind of witchcraft.

Oh, so this is just a PR fluff piece.

edit: Drive by? I read the article and it came off as PR, therefore I commented that it came off as PR. Should I have quoted more from the article?

Last edited:

riq

Feb 21, 2019
It will, but being unnecessarily agressive about it is only gonna make me turn on adblock on your face, vg247.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oddly enough, the rest of the world will be in a better place to use game-streaming than the US.
So we could be facing a really interesting scenario.

I agree with the article.
It IS the future. Is it the future now? unlikely.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah, its the future not the present. We ain't there yet.

Granted, it works great for me at my house. Doesn't mean everybody can play it. I don't doubt Google's Infrastructure isn't there yet. Its the ISPs who are to blame and until they decide to give up shitty datacaps and provide faster speeds for better costs, its not feasible for a lot of consumers.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I expect it to be the case in like 15-20 years, when everyones internet and the service gets better.
So many people who don't want to pay for a new console. That's going to be a lot of folks who get to game when otherwise wouldn't have been able to.

PC will live on though, maybe they'll finally make a successful steambox.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Consoles may disappear, but I don't see PC gaming going anywhere as long as some people want the best quality and features you can't get with streaming (ultrawide, G-Sync, modding, etc). As another user already posted I'll stop buying games if local hardware completely disappears. Luckily there's enough amazing games already released that I'd be fine just playing those. Maybe I'd finally get rid of my backlog...

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
The day that happens is when I will stop buying new videogames. Not owning the games in any physical format, or not having access to the files, is a big no to me.
Do you not use Spotify or Netflix whatevs?

Edit - stop @ing me - I am wrong and stupid. Forgot about modding which IS a big deal for me. Even if I don't care about actually ownership

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If Streaming hasn't killed physical / downloadable movies and music, it'll never replace gaming.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Streaming? Yeah sure, maybe once they work out the kinks and we get fair deals from ISPs. The pricing model is utter garbage though.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's been a pretty great experience post-launch. Playing Destiny 2 on my S10+ is rad and kinda nuts honestly. Definitely a platform I'll seriously consider for AAA games that are on it. Getting a new game and just playing it a second later feels satisfying and I've not had any issues with input lag so far. Just need devs to get better at upping the performance of games on it.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lol no not really VG247, Thanks for the idiotic clickbait though.

While Streaming is certainly here to stay it won't be replacing consoles. It'll exist as a supplement to current console ecosystems.

This reminds me of the mid 2,000's when everybody was hyping 3D films as the future of Cinema. All films today were supposed to be exclusively 3D whether we liked it or not and every home is supposed to have a 3D equipped flat screen

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Stadia Evangelists:

giphy.gif

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
It is but not because people don't want a box looking ugly in the living room

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
Having tried Stadia, I truly believe streaming is amazing and works, there's still a lot of hurdles on the way though and I hope the streaming services overcome them. Stadia for instance will need time to grow a big games library and exclusives, on top of fixing themselves up a bit in general, I hope we see a lot of improvements in 2020 and that they stick with it - playing the actual games works great so the base is there (and will grow as better internet expands hopefully!).

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
The laws of physics are always going to get in the way of the latency problem though. There's only so much latency you can reduce going from your home to the nearest datacenter before the speed of light becomes the limiting factor.

So unless Google, or any other company, plans to run data centers in every single city on Earth, this style of service will never work.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Let's say that's the only option in the far future. You'd rather give up something you love out of spite for how the content is delivered? It's still the same content and you'd have the same joy experiencing it whether it's streamed, on disc, or created via hamsters and pigeons.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Do you not use Spotify or Netflix whatevs?
Completely different; I am paying a subscription to access the entire catalogue Spotify and Netflix offer in my region. I am fully aware I don't own anything I can access, which is a big bummer when the content is removed. I think PS Now subscription model is similar, but can't confirm since I have never used it.

The problem with this is that the users completely rely on the company to keep the servers up. We have already seen how shitty Sony is in keeping servers up when a game doesn't perform like they wanted, for example, Gravity Rush 2.

Also, as someone who likes to mod my games and hate DRM with a passion, streaming videogames doesn't entice me in the least.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
"No input lag"

Oh, have they figured out how to break the Light Barrier yet?

Because that's the only way a streamed game is getting "No input lag" - Streaming's biggest enemy is The Laws of Physics.