• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Seems most everyone here has covered my thoughts.

I think the "best part" is the article writer posting snapshots of people's comments disagreeing with him or insulting him for the article on Twitter.

Anyways, I disagree with the premise of the article even if I agree with the sentiment that the customer isn't always right

I've always really disliked the "People disagree with me, therefore I must be right" logic. Not sure if that's what is happening here, but seems weirdly common when people write intentionally divisive articles like this.

C Moon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
>"MGS4 is the worst MGS"
>"ME:A was taken down by gifs"
>"Anthem's quality is a response to ME:A feedback"

So vg24/7 is a satire site like The Onion or Hard Drive, right?

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Fans know when they aren't having fun. Not having fun is not good for business. Doesn't take a fucking rocket scientist to figure that out, or to be "in the industry."

You see this all the time with poorly run live service games. Dev does something incredibly dumb that breaks the game or the meta in a catastrophic way > walks it back > never addresses not listening to feedback to begin with > cycle begins anew.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
A lot of the current backlash again Gamefreak currently is basically a direct result of them refusing to acknowledge the fanbase in any meaningful capacity.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Don't agree with the examples necessarily but agree with the sentiment. Games are at their best when they're being made with a vision in mind by authors. Fans tend toward reactionary thinking, ie. they want what they've already played.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Didn't Valve's new card game fail due to many things one of not listening to fan feedback from the beta?
Ya kinda need to listen and take what works. If people are not having fun then they won't play your game.
Hell DMC5 listened and its excellent.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
It makes you an authority on what you enjoy in said games.

Nah this is totally wrong, ask anyone who has ever made a game or done user testing of any kind and they'll tell you that people are always right about how they feel and usually wrong about why.

Interpreting feedback and making it into valuable actionable information is a core skill for any designer.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
For the most part, I agree. A handful games like Sonic Mania, RE2Remake, DMC5, etc. don't really make up for the fact that 95% of gamers who complain really don't know what the fuck they're talking about or what they want. Occasionally you get some feedback worth listening to, but most fan feedback should double as toilet paper.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I agree. Listen to fans but set a boundary.

No matter what you do fans will bitch. We do not live in a world where everyone gets to be pleased.

Let alone gamers.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends on a case by case basis.

A good example of listening to fans is Bethesda changing the end of Fallout 3. You couldn't send the ghoul or super mutant(WHO WAS INTRODUCED TO YOU BY GETTING THE GECK FROM A HIGHLY LETHAL, IRRADIATED AREA) companion into the lethal radiation area because of "Destiny" nonsense. There was no defending that braindead logic and it's good it was changed for the DLC.

Last edited:

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Hard agree with MGS4, a game that didn't need to exist, whose creator didn't want to make it, and incredibly cynical in its catering to fan demand.

The rest though? Hard to say it was any one thing, in fact I'd say I'm the case of BioWare it was management and deadlines that killed Andromeda and Anthem rather than memes of all things.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
Nah this is totally wrong, ask anyone who has ever made a game or done user testing of any kind and they'll tell you that people are always right about how they feel and usually wrong about why.

Interpreting feedback and making it into valuable actionable information is a core skill for any designer.
Even if I agreed, the onus is on the developer to make a competent game. The feedback they're receiving isn't at fault.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Even if I agreed, the onus is on the developer to make a competent game. The feedback they're receiving isn't at fault.

Oh for sure I think getting fan feedback is immensely valuable like any other feedback. What they do with it is on them.

Not sure how you can disagree with what I said tho, it's kinda just s fact of game developmen that any developer will tell you.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how you can disagree with what I said tho
I believe I can competently decide what I do and don't like about a particular video game. I believe many others can as well. There may be some elements that I can't adequately describe, but the idea that I have no idea why I don't enjoy something seems nonsensical to me.

Shadow-Link

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fan feedback is important as it can help improve some aspects, but you can't do anything for bad game design.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
How anyone can look at ME3's ending and think it deserved anything but the treatment it got is beyond me. Kind of invalidates the entire article for me, not that it was that well written in the first place. (Although I do agree MGS 4 was the worst. V would have taken that crown if it wasn't for it's gameplay.)

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Examples in OP aren't great but I agree with the sentiment of not listening to fans wishes when it comes to creative direction, not just in games but films, books, etc. The vast majority of people have no understanding as to how said mediums work on a technical level and have no buisness telling those that do how to do their jobs.
This ^^

I sometimes chop movies. If I need advice on software or certain editing techniques, I NEVER ask someone who has no idea how to edit. I seek knowledge from other pros who have a "better" understanding of the craft than I do. Not audience members. They count on me to know how to do my job. That goes for every kind of media artist out there. Trust your vision!

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I go both ways on this, as a creator you need to execute your vision, fans have opinions but they are not the ones making the game so you need to have enough experience and competence to walk that line.

Otherwise you get this

latest

You also need to understand what is the audience for your product, if your game is niche or specific to a fanbase you should veer in one direction, if youre trying to be a 10 million unit seller there are some concessions that usually need to get made.

Also, dont fall for the PR too much. Kojima makes games for himself first and foremost. Him listening to fans the most was MGS5 and people like that game plenty

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
It really depends on a case by case basis.

A good example of listening to fans is Bethesda changing the end of Fallout 3. You couldn't send the ghoul or super mutant(WHO WAS INTRODUCED TO YOU BY GETTING THE GECK FROM A HIGHLY LETHAL, IRRADIATED AREA) companion into the lethal radiation area because of "Destiny" nonsense. There was no defending that braindead logic and it's good it was changed for the DLC.

Cut to the ending narration still calling you a coward for not nearly killing yourself for no good reason just to punch in a code. Though that was probably Bethesda being unwilling to drag the voice actor to the audio booth just to record an extra variation they didn't think of the first time.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
A lot of comes from the beginning as well.

Itsuno was talking about how first and foremost he wanted to make the DMC game he wanted a make. A pure action game. And what really motivated him to get the project green-lit was that was what fans wanted as well. So it aligned perfectly.

Much the same way with RE7 and RE2. Both the developers and the fans wanted to get away from the action heavy RE5 and RE6.

The problem really comes is when the developers start up a project that nobody really wants, then you have concern for a lot of compromise which could affect overall game quality.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree on Xbox one, microsoft was right at the time and people were idiots

Imagine if we could sell digital games on console? Cool, right? Well idiot gamers that wanted plastic discs killed that idea

Today i pretty much live their vision - on every platform.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I agree there's cases where devs need to ignore fans.

Biowares decline in quality however, are not the fault of fans and suggesting they were is really silly. It's most silly with anthem, which was very obviously not something made to appeal fans but a play for a new audience.

Edit: also, players don't have a duty to like a devs output. If a dev ignores feedback because he thinks he has a better solution - he should. If players end up not liking that solution that's not a failing of the players though.

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a huge stretch between "listen to fans" and "obey to fans".

I think there are things were external input is important. Namely gameplay mechanics and feel. Difficulty balance.
It's always important to listen and to bring up all you've heard and try to find a solution from there.

But there are also things that should be about the creators only: Mainly story bits, characters and such. But even then, I feel like sometimes, external input can also be important here when creators stray too much away. It could be about representation issues, cultural differences and such.

That headline is inflammatory indeed. Even though the article is more nuances, I feel like the whole premise is, sorry for the harsh words, really stupid.

The gaming industy is a funny one when it comes to fan feedbacks. In every other industries, companies spend a shiton of money to know the customers opinions and habits. They buy lists from advertisement companies to know what customer usually likes. They spend money through survey companies and often promises freebies to customers just to know what they think. Heck some companies goes as far as spying on their customers to get important datas.

But the gaming industry is the one where publishers, press and sometimes indie developpers can be against receiving those inputs, when every other industries consider it extremely valuable and spend millions to get that, it sometimes feels like, not always of course, that the gaming industry wash their hands away from those datas.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
The gaming industy is a funny one when it comes to fan feedbacks. In every other industries, companies spend a shiton of money to know the customers opinions and habits. They buy lists from advertisement companies to know what customer usually likes. They spend money through survey companies and often promises freebies to customers just to know what they think. Heck some companies goes as far as spying on their customers to get important datas.

Oh the gaming industry does this... for microtransaction spending habits. They put out patents for this. Hire psychologists. Attend seminars.

They will gladly cater to the whales. The rest of us? Not so much.

I agree with your post though as I do with most of the posts I have seen from you. Just that one bit illuminates what they really care about - reoccurring spending.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What.... I'm pretty sure the reason why the Xbox1 reveal was so bad was because they DIDN'T listen to their fans -_-

And imo MGS4 was far better than V which although gameplay wise was excellent, it was so bloated and lifeless that it should've just been a new IP.

DMC5, No Mans Sky, Tekken 5, etc. so many games that went for what fans wanted and were better for it.

Last edited:

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Framing anthem being bad as a consequence of the fan reaction to how bad andromeda was is some shit

Someone should send him a link Jason Schrier's article.

Totally the fans' fault. Not an incompetent management that overworked developers in a toxic work environment. Nah.

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Eurogamer: Do you ever get player feedback where the majority of players want something, but you decide it's a bad idea and don't take their advice?

Yasuda: Of course there are instances like that where we decide not to listen to our fans. We're not servants, we're game creators! Regardless, whatever we decide, we will sincerely heed those words from our fans first. But then again, it all eventually comes down to that the game should not lose its spirit, it's essence. For example, the stamina exhaustion was often criticised to be too quick. That there's not enough stamina to play comfortably. But that's just how the game should be, in our minds. So we'll just have to say 'sorry for that.'

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, Anthem is the complete opposite of what Bioware fans expect and ask for. Bioware has a pedigree at excelling with a certain type of genre, levering strong single-player story content with deep RPG mechanics, even deeper story crafting and player morality options, and providing a journey with fully-realized party members helping you throughout the experience, often with romance options and other ways to forge intimate and deep relationships with your crew.

Anthem has very little of that. It's a weird game that if you weren't told it was by Bioware you'd never know.

Even I said that Anthem wasn't a game for me. I wished it the best, but I wanted a more traditional Bioware experience because there are so few of them out there. Anthem feels like a dime-a-dozen, design-by-committee game, while the best "Bioware" experience I've had in years is Assassin's Creed Odyssey.
IMO Anthem is what happens when you let creative people take control without anyone actually there to reign them in and hold everyone accountable.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
stopped reading cuz there didn't seem to be any coherent structure or backing to the thing. this is a conversation to have, but the wrong article to spark a good version of that conversation.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine still being salty that DmC got rightfully hated on after covering for it for so long