• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
HAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
IS THAT A JOKE? Steam basically started regional pricing in my country (Brazil). Pc games have been cheaper since forever and steam amazing sales are the reason why I can't stop buying games. Seriously, what a joke

Yeah man, I had the same reaction because Steam is the pioneer in this stuff, at least for us down here in Argentina aswell. Maybe Epic will catch up eventually, but so far we still waiting.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
No. Steam not only has regional pricing but also huge amount of features that come with each of its games. Not to mention steam's download servers are the best as compared to other PC launchers with stop and resume support.

As someone who hails from Pakistan which is a third world country right now but is also under development. Steam is overall the best for me. I can even get games via trading Team Fortress 2 case keys with steam codes. I adore steam's ecosystem.

Seriously some of these sites need to stop shilling EGS. Its embarrassing.
Actually steam is a crock of shit.

how many times do games just get stuck on download?
how many times do gams get stuck on preallocating?
Recently steam messed up my total war warhammer 2. Instead of just updating with a 3.5gb patch it got stuck on preallocating - then decided to redownload the whole game to a different hard drive then spend 30 minutes transferring it back to my ssd where the game was originally installed.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Recently steam messed up my total war warhammer 2. Instead of just updating with a 3.5gb patch it got stuck on preallocating - then decided to redownload the whole game to a different hard drive then spend 30 minutes transferring it back to my ssd where the game was originally installed.

I've never experienced that particular issue you are describing, and I've been using Steam extensively for at least 10 years now. This is not me saying you are lying, this is me saying you must have encountered a pretty rare bug. Meanwhile, I've had Windows Store/Gamepass PC games redownloading because I paused the download, certain launchers refusing to recognize already installed files after I moved my OS, etc. My experience couldn't be more different than yours in this regard.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They doubled down and keep pushing their narrative with the same article and headline. Not a good look.
Worst part is probably that they are trying to troll people who point out why their article / headline is incorrect.
6k6i1Vt.jpg

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

I've literally never experienced any of this, not to say it doesn't happen.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017

Never had this issues myself. (Which doesn't mean it's not true ofc)

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

In my personal experience

rarely

maybe once in my experience

This or something similar happened to me TWICE. Thats it.

So while steam certainly has its issues, they're rare and its pro's easily make up for this for me and by a huge ass margin :)

Last edited:

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017

I've had Steam get stuck downloading on Windows 10 but never (as best I can remember) on Windows 7, curiously.

Preallocating, for an initial install, just seems to depend on the size of the game, or patch (or how a particular game handles patching?*) but I've never had that particular issue you experienced.

*American Truck Simulator and Euro Truck Simulator 2 can sometimes download a small patch but then stay in the patching process for a while. It's not something I've seen happen with other games so I assume it's how the developer has chosen to handle the process rather than anything unusual happening with Steam.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
metro exodus with the season pass was 20$ at release in my country, I wish steam would implement regional pricing in more regions where it's heavily needed, a 60$ game can be 1/4th of the salary of people here :/

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They doubled down and keep pushing their narrative with the same article and headline. Not a good look.
Worst part is probably that they are trying to troll people who point out why their article / headline is incorrect.
6k6i1Vt.jpg
thats not surprising, seems to be par for the course with all the pro epic articles.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
This is the weirdest take trying to portray Epic Game Store as something new. This requires like a willful ignorance of Steam and its regional currency and payment options in small markets.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

This is feature, if you don't have enough space to patch on install drive, it gets temp copied to secondary library.
You just need to have some free space to avoid this.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Cambodia and there's a huge difference in pricing between steam and epic. I'm not sure what's going on with steam, but I just get regular US prices whereas on epic there's a significant discount for most games.

I haven't bought on Epic yet because my PC isn't powerful enough to run the games I'm interested in buying on it (control for example is just over 20 bucks) but when I upgrade my PC I'll definitely go there unless steam gives me similar regional pricing.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
I think this is country by country basis.

I live in a developing third world country where both Steam and EGS have regional pricing, but pricing on EGS is either the same with Steam or more expensive. Furthermore EGS still don't have local currency so I still have to pay in USD.

The only time when EGS is cheaper than Steam is during their last sale where everything is dirt cheap with coupons.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Steam does not have regional pricing in Egypt, where the writer is from, as it says in the article.

"I've had a Steam account for 12 years, and though Steam recognises Egypt as a country, it does not offer regional prices for it. We instead get the strange mix of USD prices, but not the US library. Max Payne 3 and some Rockstar games, for instance, are not available here."

Then the title is deliberately misleading. It supports a general statement with a very narrow experience and only one point of that experience. That's it.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
The editor is telling people to read the article for context.

Yet the editor let that title slide on through, despite the contents of the article.

lol.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The editor is telling people to read the article for context.

Yet the editor let that title slide on through, despite the contents of the article.

lol.
The problem is even the context of the article is skewed to be simply a praise on EGS having currency support for Egypt. It doesn't mention anything about how they are double dipping on USD and currency conversion pricing with the likes of Australia or Canada. No mention of forcing extra fees on top of the purchase because of their shitty checkout payment options. It isn't at all an appropriate article dissecting the market of regional pricing, but just a fluff piece coming across as licking the lips of EGS' advertisement money book all the while ignoring actual substance.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
The author and VG247 know exactly what they are doing. It is just sad at this point.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
The author and VG247 know exactly what they are doing. It is just sad at this point.

Yeah, they knew that having a positive experience with EGS in a region that is ignored by most online stores would be controversial for those who are not part of that region.

It may not seem that way to someone in America or Europe, for obvious reasons, but it is to me and millions of others who are now more likely to spend money on a game than pirate it.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
The author loves clickbait title and probably didn't bother to check other developing countries.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they knew that having a positive experience with EGS in a region that is ignored by most online stores would be controversial for those who are not part of that region.

Generalizing "Europe" like that shows how ignorant the writer is on the very topic he wants to report on.

Good that we agree on that.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What a headline. I assume the main reason regional pricing on EGS is better in certain countries is because store page "owners" can't edit prices manually yet. It's all monkeys and pulleys over there. Lately, many developers seem to regressing on decent regional prices in all other places, when given the ability to set pricing themselves.

Last edited:

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Really curios why they tripple down when they could simply change the headline to something correct like "EGS is the cheapest choice for buying games in Egypt". I guess nobody would complain about such a headline. Insisting that Egypt equals the whole developing world remains stupid and frames them like they keep re-using this factually incorrect article on purpose for some unknown reasons.

Xl7mS8d.jpg

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
For us in Jamaica and Trinidad..it's epic store or wait until it hits a subscription service.

$60 USD is literally rent money for me.
Getting Star Wars for $23 was eye opening.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Guess this is one of those cases where EGS or Steam gets an edge, depending on which region gets regional pricing from them or not, based on the article and posts here.

Why does neither support it in all regions?

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Really curios why they tripple down when they could simply change the headline to something correct like "EGS is the cheapest choice for buying games in Egypt". I guess nobody would complain about such a headline. Insisting that Egypt equals the whole developing world remains stupid and frames them like they keep re-using this factually incorrect article on purpose for some unknown reasons.

Xl7mS8d.jpg
I mean, checking the time (X:30 dependent on time zone) on that tweet indicates it's not a human pushing this particular article to stoke flames or anything, it's something in the backend to push all their articles so they are more likely to be seen by more people across more time zones. It's more noticeable on weekends because less new articles are being written.

That's not to say the headline is good, mind, it's just not some double or tripling down.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Guess this is one of those cases where EGS or Steam gets an edge, depending on which region gets regional pricing from them or not, based on the article and posts here.

Why does neither support it in all regions?

In Steam's case, it's because they have to set up a whole lot of stuff before implementing regional pricing in a new area. They add the new region's currency, plus some of its popular local payment methods (all of which takes time and requires deals with companies in the target region, I assume).

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
"Best way to buy games in the developing world", define the developing world as Egypt and tadah, you have a shitpost-tier article. How did this get published.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018

... I have never even heard of these problems... been using Steam.. like.. 10 years.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
^^^ The most consistent correlation ive found to liking epic is disliking pc gaming in general. Otherwise, idk. Hacks just love epic.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Are low regional prices for every game on EGS, or mostly ones under exclusivity contracts rather than multi-store games?