• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who's been following the story of the Epic Games Store over the past year and change can enumerate from memory all the Bad Things Epic has been doing to get its nascent PC store off the ground. A single look at the EGS client is enough to demonstrate the disparity in features and convenience between it and other often criticised stores, let alone Steam.
It is abundantly clear, perhaps to Epic more than the store's biggest detractors, that it is in dire need of significant work. But between the tirades about Epic's exploitation of free-market dynamics under capitalism, and the terrible shitposts on forums, few fail to recognise something great Epic has quietly been doing with the store.

In two words: regional pricing.
Everyone already understands what that means, but only those of us who don't reside in the most affluent Western countries truly appreciate its benefits. The merits of regional pricing need no arguing, but they are often neglected by those who were never in a position to care about them in the first place. I live in Egypt, have all my life. I've been playing and loving games since the moment I knew what games are. I love games more than most things in life. I am not alone in this, of course, but Egypt – like so many developing countries – considers games a luxury.

And a lot more here

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I guess those cheaper prices I see with my local currency on Steam aren't regional pricing then. WTF is this article.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
What the fuck is this? Steam has regional pricing. :/

I guess those cheaper prices I see with my local currency on Steam aren't regional pricing then. WTF is this article.

Steam does not have regional pricing in Egypt, where the writer is from, as it says in the article.

"I've had a Steam account for 12 years, and though Steam recognises Egypt as a country, it does not offer regional prices for it. We instead get the strange mix of USD prices, but not the US library. Max Payne 3 and some Rockstar games, for instance, are not available here."

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
No. Steam not only has regional pricing but also huge amount of features that come with each of its games. Not to mention steam's download servers are the best as compared to other PC launchers with stop and resume support.

As someone who hails from Pakistan which is a third world country right now but is also under development. Steam is overall the best for me. I can even get games via trading Team Fortress 2 case keys with steam codes. I adore steam's ecosystem.

Seriously some of these sites need to stop shilling EGS. Its embarrassing.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Regional pricing is the reason I DONT use EGS. Silly that they still dont support CAD and refuse to talk about it. Literally the only PC launcher that doesnt support it.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf? Title should say this is just for egypt. The reason I don't buy games on Epic is because they don't have regional prices for us (they are still catching up to steam), we've been asking for that for a long time now. And also because their refund method sucks for costumers but that's another thing.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Only part of EGS that is better than Steam. (Although Steam regional pricing where it exist is superior due to currency support and more payment methods)

Also, would like to say something about the regional pricing that would affect some of hte games he mentions. There is a small difference of how prices are set up that also affects regional prices. Epic is the one setting all the prices for now, so they use the default prices while Steam has the devs setting them up while offering a recomendation. What it means is that Epic ALWAYS uses the recomendations at the start (and until the publishers notices and tells them to fix them up), while that is not the case on Steam. Thats why some games (like Fallen Order) have such good prices in some regions in EGS.

Does Epic support more payment methods now? Last I heard Steam had way more for countries like India.
Not really. You also might need to pay extra to use some payment methods.

Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco
I'm living in Morocco, and EGS's regional pricing is really good, for the gaming community here,
it's a shame that steam doesn't do the same here...

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Also what the fuck? Regional pricing is developer specific?
...yes? has been since forever. here in brazil, some devs, for aaa stuff, do 99-150 BRL. others, like Activision, do 200-250 BRL.
tbf, this mostly happens when the economy of said country fluctuates a lot. some swallow the costs, others just want the equivalent of 60 dollars, no matter what.

Oct 27, 2017
Are they still breaking the law with different EU regions like steam was?

No regional catalogue/locking bullshit so far, but I don't think that it is an extraoridnary effort of Epic. It has to be either:
• There isn't a publisher abusing the platform yet
• Epic doesn't care enough to implement tools to allow a publisher to do so

Regional pricing is also non-existent in Europe, which is okay. They aren't running a charity, and you can always dive with the VPN should you really have to have a sub $10 Control.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why they said "the developing world" in the headline when they are just using the example of one country.

Some countries are cheaper on Steam, some are cheaper on EGS. It even varies on a game by game basis.

I'd love to see some actual analysis of international trends across multiple games, and see what story the entire set of data tells.

Edit: such an analysis would need to take into account things like the other stores that you can buy codes from, and and payment processing fees that Epic add on.

Last edited:

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Also, would like to say something about the regional pricing that would affect some of hte games he mentions. There is a small difference of how prices are set up that also affects regional prices. Epic is the one setting all the prices for now, so they use the default prices while Steam has the devs setting them up while offering a recomendation. What it means is that Epic ALWAYS uses the recomendations at the start (and until the publishers notices and tells them to fix them up), while that is not the case on Steam. Thats why some games (like Fallen Order) have such good prices in some regions in EGS.
yeah developers can set these prices on steam. Not on EGS. He's just taking advantage of a poorly setup store.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Also what the fuck? Regional pricing is developer specific?
It works the same way on Steam. For some bizzarre reason, all Konami games in my country are SUPER expensive. Like, buying MGSV now ($19.99 on US) is almost as expensive as preordering Cyberpunk 2077 lol

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I understand where the writer is coming from but that title is still a head scratcher if he's not going to include other developing countries to contrast and compare regional pricing in both EGS & Steam.

If EGS has superior regional pricing in his region, I'm not going to take that away from him but to definitively conclude "the best" encompassing all markets then... yeah no. Considering people on this very forum have contested this due to their respective regions/countries.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It works the same way on Steam. For some bizzarre reason, all Konami games in my country are SUPER expensive. Like, buying MGSV now ($19.99 on US) is almost as expensive as preordering Cyberpunk 2077 lol
It works that way on Steam, not on Epic. Epic sets up the prices (by default with regional pricing) until the publisher tells him to fix them up (as it happened with RDR2, Death Stranding,...).

yeah developers can set these prices on steam. Not on EGS. He's just taking advantage of a poorly setup store.
It also omits 2 main problems of Epic regional pricing:
-Currency change
-Bad payment methods that might lead to extra charge

As I said, Steam really should have more Dollar regions (as it does in SEA!) for some key regions such as Egypt and MEA. They should learn that from EGS for now.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The are a lot of developing countries in the world. I'd like to see a break down of how pc storefronts tackle this. That would be an interesting article.

Quirah

Oct 26, 2017
lol. this guy should've titled this as: "Epic Games Store is the best choice in Egypt"
Steam has regional pricing model in too many places, even in my 3rd world country, Turkey.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
The fact not every store are equal when it comes to pricing is why games being sold on multiple store is better than being sold in a single one/exclusive.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling over multiple posts, history of trolling on the same topic
Man, after months of demanding to see any advantage or benefit the EGS provides, you'd think people would be happy to see evidence of actual positives from the store.
Instead it's met with derision and bad faith arguments.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, EGS supports more countries/regions than Steam for regional pricing.

This is because Valve does not want to introduce regional pricing without also providing regional currencies, which requires more work. Epic doesn't bother and just charges in US in those regions.

And yes, this is the one and only reason I would use EGS over Steam or Steam keys. I think I was able to get Control for like $6 or something stupid like that in the last sale.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Only for those countries with supported currency on Epic. Several countries still don't have that and it is therefore still cheaper to buy on Steam.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is, EGS supports more countries/regions than Steam for regional pricing.

This is because Valve does not want to introduce regional pricing without also providing regional currencies, which requires more work. Epic doesn't bother and just charges in US in those regions.
Valve also support far more region specific payment mechanisms, whereas Epic support fewer, and often even charge customers a payment processing fee on top (which to my knowledge Valve never do).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Only for those countries with supported currency on Epic. Several countries still don't have that and it is therefore still cheaper to buy on Steam.
Other way arround. Epic charges you in dollars in most countries while Steam regional pricing is mostly in areas they support the currency.
In some areas where Steam has no currency, it charges the US price in dollar while Epic charges the local price in dollars (so lower).

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Other way arround. Epic charges you in dollars in most countries while Steam regional pricing is mostly in areas they support the currency.
In some areas where Steam has no currency, it charges the US price in dollar while Epic charges the local price in dollars (so lower).

Not for me. Epic has been more expensive than Steam and the fact I have to pay in USD doesn't help.

Maybe you guys get some crazy low USD prices on Epic for your specific region that are better than using the local currency on Steam, but that isn't true for every country or region. Nor for every game, I'm sure.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
In Africa EGS seems like the best option. In Latam Steam does a good job, but so does Epic. So I guess it depends from region to region.

I am always surprised I can pay in my local currency ( Costa Rica) in both Steam and Epic, but nor Sony or Nintendo can.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
And here I am no regional pricing on Steam or Epic Store with average income way lower than rest of Europe but same prices. And what Epic brought to me? Games removed from 3rd party stores where I could at least get prices in USD.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's a massive reach to claim that for the entire developing world -- where I imagine it changes wildly between Steam and EGS depending on what country and continent you are in -- based on one country, but good. In Egypt's case, at least.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Last I read, the EGS vs Steam regional price advantage mostly depended on which region you're in. Is there an actual holistic comparison between the two out there somewhere?

And here I am no regional pricing on Steam or Epic Store with average income way lower than rest of Europe but same prices. And what Epic brought to me? Games removed from 3rd party stores where I could at least get prices in USD.

I thought this was because of EU laws requiring the entire EU to be treated as one region.

Oct 25, 2017
This would be an interesting thing to actually investigate thoroughly and present the results. I wonder if anyone will bother. Seems like a lot of work to do when you can just publish anything with no accountability, though.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Not for me. Epic has been more expensive than Steam and the fact I have to pay in USD doesn't help.

Maybe you guys get some crazy low USD prices on Epic for your specific region that are better than using the local currency on Steam, but that isn't true for every country or region.
What I was saying is for regions that do not have a currency, Steam charges the US price and that country has no regional pricing on Steam (while it would on Epic). For regiond where Steam offerd regional pricing is superior than Epics.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the client that's best, depends on the country. And in Epic's case, it seems like very few countries. Regional pricing is nothing new, and the major players on PC have work to do on a lot of fronts...so why does a new article appear every so often, treating Epic like they've been this revolutionary player among PC marketplaces?