• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
It's shitty that these things are still in a premium priced product, but I still bought it because I wanted a classic FF on my switch. I'm loving my time with it but I also sent them feedback via that link from earlier in this thread.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Well shit, wish I knew about that FF9 music bug before I bought it on both Android and iOS a year or two ago. :/

Hopefully enough bad buzz gets generated about the Switch version that they eventually fix it and bring the fix over to all the versions.

Nov 5, 2017
I'm very much regretting purchasing the Switch port of FFIX due to these issues. I thought I could deal with the music bug, but had to switch it off after just 2 battles in the Evil Forest and have not fired it up since. Was genuinely hoping the fact that the game was debuting on both Nintendo and Xbox platforms for the first time would be incentive enough to fix these years-old and well-documented bugs but guess not.

I've played the PS1 version to completion at least 4 times since its original release; it's a very special game to me and easily my favorite Final Fantasy. The fact that Square keeps releasing the same shoddy ports of not just this but MOST of their classic games to new platforms and a potentially significant amount of first-time players frankly speaks volumes about how little they care for their own legacy. It's disheartening, really.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
VIII had the same issues on PS4/PC?

FFVIII isn't on PS4, and its PC release is just the old Eidos PC Port more-or-less stapled together. There's a ton of mods for it and while a lot of those are the usual iffy texture replacements and post-processing overloads (imo), they're also necessary to get good controller support and resolution options.

It doesn't specifically have the music bug though.

MakotoYuki

Oct 28, 2017
FFVIII isn't on PS4, and its PC release is just the old Eidos PC Port more-or-less stapled together. There's a ton of mods for it and while a lot of those are the usual iffy texture replacements and post-processing overloads (imo), they're also necessary to get good controller support and resolution options.

It doesn't specifically have the music bug though.
Thanks, I thought they would also release VIII on Switch, but guess not.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
As close as you're going to get to 'hd' backgrounds, I recommend trying this for the pc version you have: https://steamcommunity.com/app/377840/discussions/0/1741105805743188237/

PSX
nxaGL7O.jpg

Default PC Not Modded

Modded on PC
Gs7dJqS.jpg

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!
But I have it on switch :(

Will probably buy the pc version when I see it cheaper than 5 euros just to see how good those backgrounds look.
Hire this people square!

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
I have actually emailed Square Enix.

Nothing is guaranteed, but it IS worth reaching out to them. They fixed Chrono Trigger, AND FFIX - despite still having major bugs - was vastly had its UI improved from the original release and shrunk down so it didn't take up so much space on-screen. They've applied fixes before, so stay vocal.

Square Enix support

I emailed them informing them about the soundtrack bug, the loss of analog control, and the input delay. There are still OTHER issues - like the new font, the mobile platform carryovers (why are you bringing up emojis, game?), and the subpar background filtering, but the game should at the very least play and sound as good as the original version without excuse.
Awesome that you posted that link here. I just went ahead and found the link on my own as well and have sent them feedback about this port release. Again, all of you guys posting here need to stop wasting your energy posting here about this and direct your feedback to them in a constructive manner. Clearly enough people must have complained about Chrono Trigger and FF7 so they went ahead and fixed those games up. There is no reason for me to assume they simply won't listen if there is enough feedback regarding this.

Last edited:

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Nothing is guaranteed, but it IS worth reaching out to them. They fixed Chrono Trigger, AND FFIX - despite still having major bugs - was vastly had its UI improved from the original release and shrunk down so it didn't take up so much space on-screen. They've applied fixes before, so stay vocal.

Square Enix support

I emailed them informing them about the soundtrack bug, the loss of analog control, and the input delay. There are still OTHER issues - like the new font, the mobile platform carryovers (why are you bringing up emojis, game?), and the subpar background filtering, but the game should at the very least play and sound as good as the original version without excuse.
I encourage everyone who wants these bugs fixed to send them a quick email about it. It only takes two minutes and might make a difference in the long run.

Oct 25, 2017

Square Enix support

Submitted.

Everyone here should do the same.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
So I'm not actually seeing a contact form for Nintendo Support. Not really sure where else one could communicate with a rep.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah the fact that these issues been around so long just tells me they don't care.

I mean you can sell a half-assed port but when you sell it for 20.99 it's just disrespectful lol

I bought the PS4 version awhile ago
on sale, kinda regret supporting. Want to get for Switch but they treat their legacy titles like quick cash grabs rather than celebrations.

Rukes

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I want to play FFIX on Switch (it'd be my first time!), but hearing about the bugs really stopped me in my tracks.

None shouldn't. All the bugs are minor nitpicks if you have never played the game before. I'm doing IX for the first time on the Switch and i'm loving it. Don't notice/care about the sound bug. The 8 way movement is annoying in some parts. That's about it really.

If you never played IX before, it's perfect to jump in to. Of course it would be great if the bugs were fixed/improved, but having never played the original, they are not stopping my enjoyment of the game in the least.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
None shouldn't. All the bugs are minor nitpicks if you have never played the game before. I'm doing IX for the first time on the Switch and i'm loving it. Don't notice/care about the sound bug. The 8 way movement is annoying in some parts. That's about it really.

If you never played IX before, it's perfect to jump in to. Of course it would be great if the bugs were fixed/improved, but having never played the original, they are not stopping my enjoyment of the game in the least.

I'm glad to hear this and that you're enjoying it! Unfortunately, I know I'm a bit of a music snob when it comes to games, so I think that the music restart bug would be hard for me to not be bothered by. That said, maybe I'll overcome my issues. I think I'll eventually play the game; I don't see a future where these issues prevent me from ever playing the game. My fingers are just firmly crossed that they eventually get fixed.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

It's not just bugs, though. The overall presentation of the game is inferior to the original release, which is available on several platforms at a much lower price.

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
I have fond memories of PSX Final Fantasies' music integration, like coming from a random battle and being greeted by the majestic verse of the main theme in VII.

Won't buy until fixed, sadly.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
This is the first eShop purchase I've made that I deeply regret. Tempted to just replay IX on my Vita at this point.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just bugs, though. The overall presentation of the game is inferior to the original release, which is available on several platforms at a much lower price.
Is it? The backgrounds are better quality, the character models are improved, the UI is redone and has nice elements like item logos, the movies are in HD.

I can understand being upset with the bugs but visually it's been objectively improved. Maybe your memory of FF9 isn't quite right.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Is it? The backgrounds are better quality, the character models are improved, the UI is redone and has nice elements like item logos, the movies are in HD.

I can understand being upset with the bugs but visually it's been objectively improved. Maybe your memory of FF9 isn't quite right.

The backgrounds are of noticeably worse quality, not better, which makes the HD character models clash with them all the more. The UI, while scaled down slightly, isn't really optimized for non-mobile versions, and the game's new font doesn't have any of the original font's personality.

Combined with the music issues — when music is an integral part of Final Fantasy — the audiovisual experience of the remaster is considerably worse overall.

Like, even the good QoL additions like fastforward aren't done properly, they're just haphazardly hacked in. People who really want to (re)play FFIX will still have a grand time, but the port is shoddy at best, and should be patched like Chrono Trigger PC was.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The backgrounds are of noticeably worse quality, not better, which makes the HD character models clash with them all the more. The UI, while scaled down slightly, isn't really optimized for non-mobile versions, and the game's new font doesn't have any of the original font's personality.

Combined with the music issues — when music is an integral part of Final Fantasy — the audiovisual experience of the remaster is considerably worse overall.

Like, even the good QoL additions like fastforward aren't done properly, they're just haphazardly hacked in. People who really want to (re)play FFIX will still have a grand time, but the port is shoddy at best, and should be patched like Chrono Trigger PC was.
Nope the backgrounds have a higher resolution than the original. The devs had access to better quality originals. Visually this game is objectively better. Maybe try going back and playing FF9 on an HDTV, you'll be surprised. Or just watch a YouTube comparison. TLDR your memory is playing tricks on you.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't call this game "objectively better" visually. The backgrounds are a blurry mess. The only thing they did right is the updated models (which doesn't cover every model in the game, either).

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

What? No. There's so much wrong with this post.

The character models and CGI cutscenes are the only two things that are improved over the original. EVERYTHING else is worse. Backgrounds are horribly scaled and blurred and the UI is absolutely worse in every way imaginable. And worst of all those higher-res character models look ridiculous against the horrid low-res backdrops too.

It's not an issue of memory. I played FF9 on my Vita only a year ago, and I've played it on PS4 and on my PC via emulation numerous times before. This port is straight booty butter in so many ways.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? No. There's so much wrong with this post.

The character models and CGI cutscenes are the only two things that are improved over the original. EVERYTHING else is worse. Backgrounds are horribly scaled and blurred and the UI is absolutely worse in every way imaginable. And worst of all those higher-res character models look ridiculous against the horrid low-res backdrops too.

It's not an issue of memory. I played FF9 on my Vita only a year ago, and I've played it on PS4 and on my PC via emulation numerous times before. This port is straight booty butter in so many ways.
I'm sorry but it's a straight up fact that the backgrounds are improved vs the original PSOne version. Play both on an HDTV and these ones are higher quality. Not just upresed, higher resolution.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but it's a straight up fact that the backgrounds are improved vs the original PSOne version. Play both on an HDTV and these ones are higher quality. Not just upresed, higher resolution.

True, backgrounds are somehow better but not the best. They have a scale filter that makes them look like there is some sharpening going on. It isn't so good looking like some of the backgrounds from the latest mods with AI esrgan.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True, backgrounds are somehow better but not the best. They have a scale filter that makes them look like there is some sharpening going on. It isn't so good looking like some of the backgrounds from the latest mods with AI esrgan.
Yeah well that's definitely true. I agree they could and should have done more (although AI was a bit late for this). But this game is better looking than the original, even if it's not as good an effort as it could have been.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I've been thinking about this and it's just weird that some of Square Enix's Final Fantasy ports have gone down in quality recently. Square Enix used to make some really good ports and remakes, like the Final Fantasy Advance series and Chrono Trigger DS (literally a perfect port), and now they're putting out these buggy releases, slapping a much bigger price tag on them than what you'd see on Virtual Console and not even bothering to fix the problems.

I'm starting to think that maybe there aren't a lot of people at Square Enix anymore who actually care about their legacy, at least the Final Fantasy and Squaresoft side of that legacy, and that's why this is happening.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
What will it takes ?
-Review bombing, which doesnt exist on consoles.
-Gaming press doing their actual job and... pressing publishers to answer. Even if it means repeatedly.