• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 8, 2018
Anytime they have been pressed for details on other platforms they decline to comment. Why would they do that if they could speak freely about it? The only comments they are providing at this time are super vague like the ones you mention.

They build the demo according to them for the PS5 and while it probably runs on basically anything already like they say that demo was made especially for PS5 and tailored around its hardware and is probably optimized to a much larger degree than on anything else. Talking about how this demo runs on XsX not specifically build or optimized for that hardware might not be the best idea for instance?

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Corporations of these sizes don't get together and not consider the marketing implications of their partnership. Maybe the technical side of things is driving their partnership but their contract certainly stipulates how the partnership is communicated to the public. The demo and articles you are seeing are marketing. Marketing is more than just trailers, billboards and ads.
I don't disagree with you per se, but you've diluted the term to the point that it essentially means nothing. I mean everyone can see that Sony and Epic worked together on the demo from a tech perspective and ultimately any media release of anything is "marketing."

It's just that colloquially on this forum a "marketing deal" indicates some kind of money hats or paid silence - do you think such a thing exists here?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I love marketing SO much.
my exact thoughts lmao
Well, dont you think whats said is true though? I mean, Epic Games are trying to promote their product of course, so they want to market it, and every positive thing that they say about their product is some kind of marketing (it would be a bad decision to not promote their own product after all), but do you think that this is more "empty" marketing talk? Or what do you mean?

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I don't disagree with you per se, but you've diluted the term to the point that it essentially means nothing. I mean everyone can see that Sony and Epic worked together on the demo from a tech perspective and ultimately any media release of anything is "marketing."

It's just that colloquially on this forum a "marketing deal" indicates some kind of money hats or paid silence - do you think such a thing exists here?
There's nothing nefarious going on and I have no idea if money exchanged hands. But I'm absolutely saying that what Epic can talk about is limited by the partnership at the moment and ascertaining anything about the PS5 or the XSX through what Epic is saying is pointless at the moment. The only thing we know for sure is that the PS5 can run the demo they showed. That's it.

Deleted member 2441

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

whew, people trying to argue with Tim Sweeney on this and compare an SSD in a $500 box to a server-grade card that's actually 8 slots, where each individual drive can only really hit a max of 5GB/s, that also consumes 65w of power on its own, and to top it all off likely costs many multiples of the entire PS5's cost...

AND you have all the overhead Sweeney is talking about...

lol. Strawman bullshit.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is business and as such Epic and Sony saw this as an opportunity to co-promote something.
You keep saying this but is their any proof about it? If this was a co-promotion shouldn't Sony also promote it? Seems weird to co-promote something and than barely acknowledging it.
I was saying in the sense that the storage the games running on is going to be less of a highlight and more about the graphics in the games we're getting on the newer consoles.
But that still doesn't make sense. It is not about storage but about the speed it is able to do things. So even after release and even if most games are 30 fps we are still going to talk about the speed of the ssd and if and how it is taking advantage of its speed.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but Linus is apparently going to interview a Sony engineer to "clear things up" (whatever that means).

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
Developers: The PS5 is great

Era:
tenor.gif
Lol so true.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
You keep saying this but is their any proof about it? If this was a co-promotion shouldn't Sony also promote it? Seems weird to co-promote something and than barely acknowledging it.
Are you saying Sony wasn't involved with helping put that demo together? Are you saying Epic didn't need Sony's approval to show the demo running on their dev kit? Are you saying there was no contract signed that stipulated a partnership of some kind?

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
whew, people trying to argue with Tim Sweeney on this and compare an SSD in a $500 box to a server-grade card that's actually 8 slots, where each individual drive can only really hit a max of 5GB/s, that also consumes 65w of power on its own, and to top it all off likely costs many multiples of the entire PS5's cost...

AND you have all the overhead Sweeney is talking about...

lol. Strawman bullshit.

So is all of that bullshit ?

Why does the PS5 need SSDs with 7GB/s data rate as extension memory ?

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I still don't understand how these games are going to get away with the level of detail a 100x's faster SSD can provide without creating massive games that reach into the terabytes.

I could see a game maybe occasionally absolutely requiring those speeds without too much trouble for DETAIL, but just doing the math.. you can't lean on 5.5GB/second too often without your game massively ballooning in size.

The PS5 SSD is insane and I can't imagine we'll NEED anything faster for a long... long time.. as those speeds will easily support games that need to be terabytes in size, but for now I feel like it's pretty heavily bottlenecked as far as detail is concerned for most game types.

I think what it does though is just create insane flexibility on being able to load smaller amounts of data insanely fast..opening up some really interesting ideas.. obviously things like fast-travel can be practically instantaneous, but also games can in a split second decide to go in 1 of many directions, loading completely different data on the fly depending on situations. I imagine some devs will creatively use that approach to do some cool things we've never seen before in gaming. Also increases the variety of assets you can put into a single scene.. less reliance on "this is the snow world, load the snow textures" and they can mix and match assets in areas to create the appearance of uniqueness where it's actually re-use.

And for things like fighting games and maybe racing games I think we'll see some mindblowing graphics (with 100GB games probably).. but for a modern game with a larger world I don't see how you could sustain anywhere near the UE5 demo detail.

Either way just load times in general being practically gone especially due to low CPU usage (meaning only a fraction of a scenes data even needs to get loaded up front, compounding the insanely fast load times) is 100% a game changer for me and guarantees PS5 will be my multiplatform goto machine next gen.

And after spending the last year being forced to develop software on an ancient Dell machine just even having those speeds in your dev kits regardless of how it changes your game design has got to be a dream that makes the XSX feel like molasses lol
The SSD also helps with optimizing game assets. Spider-Man PS4, for example, has loads of copy/paste identical assets in the game files to improve lookup speeds (e.g. that trash can you see at every street corner actually exists 1k+ times on disk coming in at probably 1-2GB total instead of just 1-2MB). With the PS5 SSD you'd only need to have said asset stored once (potentially loads more that could get thinned out, shaving off a huge chunk of the total installation size).

Deleted member 2441

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you saying Sony wasn't involved with helping put that demo together? Are you saying Epic didn't need Sony's approval to show the demo running on their dev kit? Are you saying there was no contract signed that stipulated a partnership of some kind?
In the same way every developer will have a contract for dev kits and receive support from first party folks to help get their shit running on new machines of course there's a partnership and a contract, just like Epic will have one with Microsoft for a Series X dev kit and Microsoft first party folks will help them with getting running on Series X.

You keep insinuating there's something else going on and have provided 0 receipts.

So is all of that bullshit ?

It's different tech. Apples to oranges. One is an NVMe SSD in a consumer electronics device, the other is a server-grade PCIe card for enterprises that uses multiple slower SSDs together with a PCIe switch to achieve higher transfer rates.

The SSDs inside the card can go up to around 5GB/s, but they still have to deal with Windows and driver overheard.

As for why PS5 needs an SSD that fast (or an XSX for that matter)... game developers with a lot more knowledge than me will be able to giver you a better answer, but it will revolutionise asset streaming, allowing for virtually 0 load times, streaming of much higher quality assets, and reduce the amount of data duplication because the system can actually access an asset quickly enough when it needs to, versus a spinning hard disk drive.

Last edited:

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but Linus is apparently going to interview a Sony engineer to "clear things up" (whatever that means).

Oh boy, I can't wait for PC-centric YouTube channels to talk down to everyone without understanding what they're talking about. Looking at the comments in that Twitter thread, seems Linus is already off to a bad start.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
"some sort of marketing deal"

Is there some hint of a deal or is this just another attempt at downplaying?
There's no deal AFAIK. Look back at ps3 and ps4 reveals. Epic were part of the lead up to those as well if I'm not mistaken.
They seem to have a long standing business relationship. If someone has receipt that say otherwise, please show them so we can stop this BS.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Bringing up ReRam?

You just wanna watch the world burn, don't ya?

lol, just a little ;)

Still, it would be amazing to see what could be achieved with raw read speeds about 10x faster than the PS5 SSD, and I highly suspect we will see that either on the PS5 Pro or PS6 once ReRAM is more mature and economical.

On the subject of the PS5 SSD, as much as I'm going to absolutely love what it can do in the console itself, I'll be just as excited about what it'll do in the PS Now servers. Having instant loading when playing cloud gaming is gonna be amazing. I wonder how the speed of the PS5 SSD and its I/O solution compares against what Google has in place with Stadia. I've heard they use enterprise-level SSDs, but I'm not sure how the performance is on them.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing nefarious going on and I have no idea if money exchanged hands. But I'm absolutely saying that what Epic can talk about is limited by the partnership at the moment and ascertaining anything about the PS5 or the XSX through what Epic is saying is pointless at the moment. The only thing we know for sure is that the PS5 can run the demo they showed. That's it.
Well, any dev who has access to a devkit from either MS or Sony is limited in what they can disclose due to NDA's and contracts. These are normal things in the industry. Have you considered the possibility that Epic can't talk about the XSX because of an NDA agreed with MS?

Still, from the demo I don't think you can ascertain anything about the XSX , but if Epic say that they needed to enhance their engine to better use the SSD in the PS5 I'm inclined to believe them - you can call it marketing, but that doesn't make it lies.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's a partnership in the sense that it will enhance the capabilities of the products of both companies. What would they need to sign for other than "let's not talk about this until x date"?

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who wishes to learn what how the old console storage system was eliminating the game design should watch this:

They had to compress the shit out of data, simplify the enviroment design, and spend so much time on making sure the game can run on any decade+ old laptop HDD that user can insert into the console. At all times, the PS4 had to have loaded in memory nine 128m2 city areas around the Spidey, and enough free space where few more could be loaded when Spidey was on the move. Cramming all that city and campaign data to a single BD disc was also a big issue.

Goddamn with all of those limitations gone for the next gen consoles.... I can't wait

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you saying Sony wasn't involved with helping put that demo together?
No? I don't know. Did they? Was Sony involved in putting this demo together?

Seems strange to put this much effort, time and money into it and than not market it yourself. Seems very strange and unusual.
Are you saying Epic didn't need Sony's approval to show the demo running on their dev kit?
No, why would they? First of i have no clue if Sony has any say in that. What they can say, at least what i think is logical, is more don't talk about stuff we haven't talked about yet.
Are you saying there was no contract signed that stipulated a partnership of some kind?
An partnership doesn't mean co-marketing. An partnership can mean several things to besides wanting to market it together. It can be beneficial for both without it boiling down to marketing. you do realize that don't you?

Also what does it matter if they did sign a technology partnership? Like i said above that doesn't mean it is marketing.

You are being very strong about it that this is co-promoted/created and that this is marketing at work. Didn't Tim Sweeney himself say it wasn't? So i kind of want to know what you are basing this on.

Last edited:

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
For what? If people are dumb enough to think that Epic doesn't have a contract with Sony for their partnership that stipulates communication requirements then so be it.

Tim Sweeny literally said all this conspiracy theory nonsense is just that - nonsense.

Stop it.

It would be amazing for something nice to be said about PS5 on era, or even a PS5 thread at all, without all the FUD-peddlers showing up selling their wares to the ill-informed.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
In the same way every developer will have a contract for dev kits and receive support from first party folks to help get their shit running on new machines of course there's a partnership and a contract, just like Epic will have one with Microsoft for a Series X dev kit and Microsoft first party folks will help them with getting running on Series X.

You keep insinuating there's something else going on and have provided 0 receipts.

It's different tech. Apples to oranges. One is an NVMe SSD in a consumer electronics device, the other is a server-grade PCIe card for enterprises that uses multiple slower SSDs together with a PCIe switch to achieve higher transfer rates.

The SSDs inside the card can go up to around 5GB/s, but they still have to deal with Windows and driver overheard.

As for why PS5 needs an SSD that fast (or an XSX for that matter)... game developers with a lot more knowledge than me will be able to giver you a better answer, but it will revolutionise asset streaming, allowing for virtually 0 load times, streaming of much higher quality assets, and reduce the amount of data duplication because the system can actually access an asset quickly enough when it needs to, versus a spinning hard disk drive.

Isn't that exactly what he was saying.
They are faster, but there is an overhead ?

I'm confused.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Do the positive XSX threads or the ones discussing the console have the same behaviour from the Pro Sony crowd?

100%

You are deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

Edit: shitty console wars behaviour is not limited to pro Sony or MS.

The SDD tech in Sony's machine is astounding and deserving of praise.

Last edited:

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
For what? If people are dumb enough to think that Epic doesn't have a contract with Sony for their partnership that stipulates communication requirements then so be it.
Any two companies collaborating are going to have a contract, that's how business works - I mean just having a devkit means there's a contract of some kind.

It feels like you are implying that there's something else beyond the standard stuff we expect for this industry without explicitly stating what that is. I mean sure it's possible, but Sony has said nothing and Epic have flat out denied there's anything beyond what we already know.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tim Sweeny literally said all this conspiracy theory nonsense is just that - nonsense.

Stop it.

It would be amazing for something nice to be said about PS5 on era, or even a PS5 thread at all, without all the FUD-peddlers showing up selling their wares to the ill-informed.
The marketing angle that some folks use is a downplay of course. If it is marketing then the device must be hyped up beyond normal and in reality will perform worse.

You can't like or praise anything without being a schill.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019

We know why Epic choose PS5 as a platform and there is a technical explanation for that.

You keep ignoring something that was already explained.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Epic not talking about xsx and aligning themselves to ps5 doesn't necessarily have to do with Sony paying them for marketing. MS is not releasing their games on epic store as far as I am aware and they do on steam. Maybe epic has some disagreements with them on other things like that. This is just a theory because Sony is not out there touting the ue5 demo and that is strange if they paid for something like this and the majority of their studios don't even use ue to begin with.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Epic: We optimized our engine to work on the successor to one of the most successful consoles of all time
Era: I LOVE MARKETING

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
A non disclosure agreement that has an expiration date does not equal a marketing agreement or some sort of marketing deal. All developers right now are under NDA as to what they can or cannot say about PS5 and Xbox Series X. That is not a marketing deal. At this point it is pretty much tradition for every new Unreal Engine release to have a PlayStation demo showing it running on the system. Technical demonstration is something Sony likes to do.

PS3 - Young Tim showing UE3 on PS3 at E3 2005

PS Vita - Tim again

PS4

PS5

Last edited:

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Epic not talking about xsx and aligning themselves to ps5 doesn't necessarily have to do with Sony paying them for marketing. MS is not releasing their games on epic store as far as I am aware and they do on steam. Maybe epic has some disagreements with them on other things like that. This is just a theory because Sony is not out there touting the ue5 demo and that is strange if they paid for something like this and the majority of their studios don't even use ue to begin with.

So, Horizon Zero Dawn Epic store exclusive?

Maybe not

EDIT: Off topic
Just realised that the PC Version is published by Playstation mobile inc. - well, that is not really "advertisement".

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
This forum is so predictable and they'll talk about how this SSD is the bees knees for months till the consoles come out and we're all going to stop caring because all of our games will still be stuck at 30fps.

This is literally every thread because ERA is largely Sony and always has been. Xbox threads get like 3 pages and Sony threads are well over 30. Even for the smallest things.

Maybe one day, those sony threads will actually have a majority of pro-sony posters in them. That will be the day.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

He wants to interview a Sony engineer, but that doesn't mean a Sony engineer is available lol. Tim Sweeney doesn't want to do a video with him either.

Deleted member 2441

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really can't understand what about this makes some people so angry.

Aside from platform-warring, game enthusiasts have a warped idea of what marketing is and are outright hostile towards the practice. Every time people talk about marketing, they talk about it as some nefarious practice, full of shady deals and malicious intent. It's really, really weird and feels like more of an issue in games than any other industry. I have my own thoughts on why that is and who perpetuates it, but they're best not publicised considering who it is.

The reality is marketers are normal people who are just working to get cool games the exposure they deserve and show their own creativity.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
In the Road to PS5, Cerny stated that we would need the additional speed because the PS5 SSD has 6 priority levels and the expansion hard drives would only have 2 and they would need to have the additional speed because the PS5 would have to do extra work to simulate the additional priority levels.