• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it marketing when Epic already said it will run on XSX as well? Some of y'all take this too seriously for real.

Why is it marketing? Because there is demo footage of the engine working on one platform. There are interviews detailing the engine on one platform.

It's the most popular multi platform engine, it would be so interesting to understand how it's design is going to tackle both next gen consoles and future PC technology, in detail.

Last edited:

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've gone from thinking that Sony getting their name plastered all over the Unreal 5 demo was a brilliant piece of marketing, to finding it way too on the nose.

Either way I'm starting to tune out. Show me what this all means for the games!

Ironically there was not a single PS5 marker in the footage and Sony themselves never really mentioned the demo either.

Oct 25, 2017
I think if you look both sides are ignoring positives from the other, its how fanboys work.

That's a given. Both these boxes are extremely close when it comes to graphics, but when it comes to SSD's they are not, we will see if that provides any meaningful difference in the end, I personally don't think 3rd party games will see a big difference, but I am also not going to downplay it.

These developers know more than I do, why would I sit here and try to discredit them when I have no evidence to the contrary, which is what a lot of people on here do.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
What advantages will we actually see in gameplay that will make a difference. No one has been able to explain that.

You won't see difference in gameplay because no 3rd party devs will do that .
You will see it in first party games .
When it comes to gfx you will see a difference and the same can be said with XSX and it's extra power .

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually expecting when the specs were out that people would appreciate that both boxes are basically the exact same but each just has a few advantages on either side.

But many months later it's just both sides trying to find the advantage and making a mountain out of a mole hill. I'd rather talk games idk.

There are a lot of people out there who live for their box, the games don't matter they are just a way to push their better box. It is quite sad because we are actually getting two very good machines but looking on here at times the PS5 SSD is magic sauce and the Xbox stronger GPU means nothing.

There are a few on here who clearly have very little bias for either but they get drowned out by the majority on either side.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
This was Epic's first reveal of the UE5, of course they were going to optimize it the best they could. They had to wow people and I think they succeeded.
Marketing stunt or not have we seen anything else on the market like we saw for UE5? If it wasn't for Covid19 multiple people would of been able to try out the demo themselves.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Idk, I have seen a lot of people try and act like there is going to be something possible on a PS5 due to its superior SSD while not possible on an Xbox. Both are insanely fast the PS5 just happens to be better.

Im not sure what people are expecting? Entire gameplay elements only possible on a PS5? No loading screens on a PS5 but some on an Xbox? Anyone really think that's happening? Not sure why we constantly have to constantly do this, both SSDs are super fast and Xbox made a great box as did Sony.

All we heard leading up to this is that both boxes were basically the same and the last 2-3 months is people trying to find quotes from devs for any advantage for their favorite box. Seems pretty tiring to me. The closest gen in terms of specs I thought everyone should be happy.
If by gameplay elements, you mean stuff like combat, quest design, etc, no, it won't be any different. But if you consider things like the amount of detail, draw distance, asset diversity, yes, some things are more likely to be able to do with a faster SSD because it can seamlessly insert and remove things. That's pretty much the difference. It's not about big stuff, it's more about the little details that make games amazing.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What advantages will we actually see in gameplay that will make a difference. No one has been able to explain that.
Seems like the difference is not just in gameplay but also graphic detail. Maybe I understand it wrong. But if Sony can load the highest art asset in that 1 second. Other platform with slower speed will have to settle with lower quality art asset, to reduce their file size enough that they can load the same quantity of asset in the same 1 second.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how these games are going to get away with the level of detail a 100x's faster SSD can provide without creating massive games that reach into the terabytes.
Compression is a big deal for next gen as well. Not only it's what's helping the PS5 achieve 9GB/s of bandwidth (paired with custom hardware specialized in decompressing data), it will also help keep the storage footprint of said assets more in control. We shouldn't expect, necessarily, a growth in data size proportional to current gen, because next-gen is also coming with improved compression.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017

I think that's because we haven't seen a single game that was developed with a superfast SSD in mind. But seeing how excited developers are about the PS5 and how they wanted this fast SSD (according to Cerny) shows that games will take advantage of this. It remains to be seen exactly how that happens.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
That's a given. Both these boxes are extremely close when it comes to graphics, but when it comes to SSD's they are not, we will see if that provides any meaningful difference in the end, I personally don't think 3rd party games will see a big difference, but I am also not going to downplay it.

These developers know more than I do, why would I sit here and try to discredit them when I have no evidence to the contrary, which is what a lot of people on here do.

The issue with that is barring Sweeney we have not seen a dev stand up and say it is brilliant. It has all been my sources have said or devs I have spoken to, this is fair for people to be skeptical about. I just want to see it in play show me it working and doing something that can't be done. The proof will be in the showing of it, will the things we play and see be dramatically different.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's not currently possible to draw conclusions - only speculate based on numbers and theoretical scenarios. The generation hasn't even begun and some developers are beyond excited to see what is possible with over double the speed and I/O. It's not just PlayStation fans making these kind of considerations.

~Millet~

Jan 21, 2019
Thread is off to a great start.

Unreal 4 is shit on PS5, marketing ploys and Sweeney lies.

Discourse on era has been no better than gamefaqs or even GAF on quite a few next gen threads.
This.
I was told that UE5 could run on a laptop with a normal SSD at the same quality as the PS5 and that the PS5 SSD was just to load things 1 second faster.

I'm going to have to side with the XBox fanboys since they know everything.
You know? XGS use Unreal, they are experts on it. Everything will look better /s

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not currently possible to draw conclusions - only speculate based on numbers and theoretical scenarios. The generation hasn't even begun and some developers are beyond excited to see what is possible with over double the speed and I/O. It's not just PlayStation fans making these kind of considerations.

I am excited too, considering Sony has some of the best devs in the world I expect them to make some great games. I don't know if we see any distinct advantages in third party though.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
If you watch Cerny's Road to PS5 presentation he goes into some detail about the main benefit of the SSD and the 5.5GB/s speed they reached with it. Traditionally a game engine might need to have the next 30 seconds of gameplay in RAM for the game to work. So you have every alleyway nearby, all the stuff in it, all taking up RAM because you "might" decide to go there in the next 30 seconds. With this level of SSD speed you can now use ALL of the RAM for perhaps just the next ONE SECOND of gameplay. He stated that it now means you have a much higher proportion of the RAM actually working on what you are doing on screen right there and then, and not a massive chunk of it there when it might never even be utilised (you walk in a different direction and never go down that alleyway). With only need one second of gameplay in RAM it means what you're seeing on screen can utilise all that RAM. That means more detail, more unique assets, more animations, more sounds, and so on actually being used for what you are seeing and playing in that moment, with little of the RAM wasted holding contingency data because the storage isn't fast enough to load.

It will 100% be utilised by many developers, and first parties will be able to do things that were previously impossible in terms of scale, detail, complexity etc. It will absolutely change game design possibilities and visuals.

Oct 25, 2017
The issue with that is barring Sweeney we have not seen a dev stand up and say it is brilliant. It has all been my sources have said or devs I have spoken to, this is fair for people to be skeptical about. I just want to see it in play show me it working and doing something that can't be done. The proof will be in the showing of it, will the things we play and see be dramatically different.

Guess I am taking a wait and see approach instead of automatically not believing people like Jeff Grubb, Tim Sweeney, Jason Schrier, and Andrea Pessino.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

Being able to load 5 gigs of data into RAM in 1 second has massive implications for rendering techniques, data streaming, and draw distance/LOD. Doesnt take much imagination to see how open world games have been stunted this gen. These advantages all apply to XSX, just to a lesser extent because with PS5 we are talking about being able to load that much data into RAM faster than you can turn the camera with the right stick.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I am taking a wait and see approach instead of automatically not believing people like Jeff Grubb, Tim Sweeney, Jason Schrier, and Andrea Pessino.

Its not automatically not believing them its just not taking it 100 per cent as fact without proof. Every gen starts with the big marketing talk of new worlds and new things its hard not to roll your eyes at statements like that now.

Oct 25, 2017
Its not automatically not believing them its just not taking it 100 per cent as fact without proof. Every gen starts with the big marketing talk of new worlds and new things its hard not to roll your eyes at statements like that now.

That's fine, you do you. I am not going to roll my eyes at the possibilities of what it might bring, I am just going to be hopeful they might come true and if they don't, they don't.

There are people in this very thread saying things without proof and they don't have anywhere near the knowledge on these things that the developers do.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how these games are going to get away with the level of detail a 100x's faster SSD can provide without creating massive games that reach into the terabytes.

In regards file size you won't have to clone as much data and spread it around the hdd.
I always think forests could be a good example how the SSD helps with file size. Instead of having 5 different tree models repeated 40 times each on the Hdd, you only need the 5 models in one location.

Lets say each tree is 1mb in size, instead of using up 200mb of space you only need 5mb. Where it gets interesting is that you could still use 200mb of the budget on tress but this time you could have 200 individual tree models. That's way more than enough to make any game have the most convincing and real looking forests ever.

Im not sure if this is possible on next gen, but why not have 'warehouse' of materials on ssd, like a pallet of bricks. Each brick is individual, each brick can be randomly placed in a wall on the fly.

If you break stuff down like that then maybe, just maybe, file sizes won't be 1tb in size. If the ssd is fast enough to just pull in random data like bricks and assign them in place we potentially are looking at a new ways that games will be designed.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, I'm so excited to see this push computer hardware manufacturers to do similar things to what PS5 does. I need a upgrade when that happens, I'm not buying any more NVMe SSDs or components until the dust settles. If they don't, I'll just get a PS5 to experience the benefits with their exclusive games.

To tell you the truth, I have doubts that even if PC had equal or better setup that games would make use of them. We'll likely get Xbox One Series X level utilization at best, maybe we can brute force things, but if the game is designed in a way that you can't (character abilities slowed down a bit, mount speed, no instant streaming needed assets as you turn your character) that will probably not be possible.

I had these SSDs for a long time and there are so many games that don't let you load super fast because of the way they are designed. Xbox One X's State of Decay still had a loading screen after all. I can't wait to see games on PS5 to see if the loading screen really is gone.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it sad that the first thing that came to mind is this won't end well?

How about this should be good news for multi platform games.
It is silly but you could see it coming a mile away.

You're fighting against something that will make your games better just because the system associated with this news isn't your preferred platform, and/or you have something against Sweeney.

Gives me a good chuckle.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I understand you, but of these 4 people, 2 are journalists and one is the owner of a third party company that makes an engine available to everyone. Nobody doubted the good faith (at least I didn't see, except for some fanboys) of the people who received an XSX to talk about it, I think at least until we see the games it would be good to have a healthy disbelief instead of calling out everyone a liar.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Not really surprising though. Wouldn't be surprised if they end up rewriting other systems too for better parallelism.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually expecting when the specs were out that people would appreciate that both boxes are basically the exact same but each just has a few advantages on either side.

But many months later it's just both sides trying to find the advantage and making a mountain out of a mole hill. I'd rather talk games idk.
They are very close in power. In speed and I/O, they are theoretically not close at all. Digital Foundry mentioned that both consoles have "their own unique strengths" which is true, but to what degree those individual strengths vary is up to developers.

I am excited too, considering Sony has some of the best devs in the world I expect them to make some great games. I don't know if we see any distinct advantages in third party though.
If we look at this historically, you're right because of "parity". Third parties have been going out of their way to praise PS5's architecture though. I wouldn't count any chickens just yet.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
If you watch Cerny's Road to PS5 presentation he goes into some detail about the main benefit of the SSD and the 5.5GB/s speed they reached with it. Traditionally a game engine might need to have the next 30 seconds of gameplay in RAM for the game to work. So you have every alleyway nearby, all the stuff in it, all taking up RAM because you "might" decide to go there in the next 30 seconds. With this level of SSD speed you can now use ALL of the RAM for perhaps just the next ONE SECOND of gameplay. He stated that it now means you have a much higher proportion of the RAM actually working on what you are doing on screen right there and then, and not a massive chunk of it there when it might never even be utilised (you walk in a different direction and never go down that alleyway). With only need one second of gameplay in RAM it means what you're seeing on screen can utilise all that RAM. That means more detail, more unique assets, more animations, more sounds, and so on actually being used for what you are seeing and playing in that moment, with little of the RAM wasted holding contingency data because the storage isn't fast enough to load.

It will 100% be utilised by many developers, and first parties will be able to do things that were previously impossible in terms of scale, detail, complexity etc. It will absolutely change game design possibilities and visuals.

The one thing I've not yet been able to wrap my head around with this, is how a single second of gameplay, or even the area immediately surrounding the player is supposed to require 5 GB/s of throughput. Maybe with extreme duplication of assets I could see that being the case. For the type of complexity we saw in the UE5 demo for an entire title it would seem like the storage constraints would be massive.

While the argument can be made that being able to replace the storage in both console will work around that issue, the other roadblock is internet speed and how prevalent digital downloads have become. I certainly am not excited about the prospect of AAA games being several hundred GBs, unless we get some real progress on the regulatory front w.r.t. data caps and internet speed/price.

There will be some gain off the top from not having to duplicate assets for the install (due to HDD) and perhaps they could implement some sort of optimization approach similar to sampler feedback that would remove unnecessary portions of assets from the package prior to installation (but I'm not sure how much that would even be a thing). Still seems like storage + data caps might present a big problem for the direction things should be headed.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
This thread is absolutely unbearable and this place is just going to get worse as we get closer to the release of these consoles.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
People seriously jumping right to platform warring?

The PS5 I/O complex is incredible, and I'm not sure why people are getting sour about it. We're talking about the future of the medium you love, so pushing boundaries anywhere is a win.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
Being able to load 5 gigs of data into RAM in 1 second has massive implications for rendering techniques, data streaming, and draw distance/LOD. Doesnt take much imagination to see how open world games have been stunted this gen. These advantages all apply to XSX, just to a lesser extent because with PS5 we are talking about being able to load that much data into RAM faster than you can turn the camera with the right stick.

How do you know it would be lesser on XSX? Yes the PS5 can move the data faster, but XSX can do more with the data. Going to be interesting to see the comparisons.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Compression is a big deal for next gen as well. Not only it's what's helping the PS5 achieve 9GB/s of bandwidth (paired with custom hardware specialized in decompressing data), it will also help keep the storage footprint of said assets more in control. We shouldn't expect, necessarily, a growth in data size proportional to current gen, because next-gen is also coming with improved compression.
Yeah dedicated hardware decompression will help. But that's by a factor of 2 or four.

The SSD is 100x's faster than last gen. And stuff like the UE5 demo's detail REQUIRING the PS5 SSD (hinting that XSX SSD isn't fast enough) is just insane. That means it requires greater than ~40x's faster than last gen (XSX speed roughly). Even taking into account compression that's a huge storage jump if you sustain that kind of requirement for long. Requiring the XSX speeds is as well, let alone PS5.

The data I'm quoting is the compressed size either way... 5.5gb second of data drawn from disk that is compressed. So while it helps, it doesn't really change anything I said. Compression will allow you to shrink games, but doesn't really mean that sustaining 5.5gb/second is reasonable.

In regards file size you won't have to clone as much data and spread it around the hdd.
I always think forests could be a good example how the SSD helps with file size. Instead of having 5 different tree models repeated 40 times each on the Hdd, you only need the 5 models in one location.

Lets say each tree is 1mb in size, instead of using up 200mb of space you only need 5mb. Where it gets interesting is that you could still use 200mb of the budget on tress but this time you could have 200 individual tree models. That's way more than enough to make any game have the most convincing and real looking forests ever.

Im not sure if this is possible on next gen, but why not have 'warehouse' of materials on ssd, like a pallet of bricks. Each brick is individual, each brick can be randomly placed in a wall on the fly.

If you break stuff down like that then maybe, just maybe, file sizes won't be 1tb in size. If the ssd is fast enough to just pull in random data like bricks and assign them in place we potentially are looking at a new ways that games will be designed.

I read that data duplication is around 20% of current gen games sizes; I almost mentioned that in that post but it was already so long winded.

Compression.. removal of asset duplication all help with game file sizes. All these things help, but I still don't see how they can lead to being able to leverage 100x's the speed of last gen consistently in any manner... those things don't change the insane data speed and what that means for the amount of data used to draw a scene.

Cerny talking about it taking .27 seconds to "turn your head" and being able to load 1.5GB+ in that time frame... I mean that sounds amazing... but if you are loading 1.5GB+ when the player turns their head... that's exactly what I'm talking about. It's not realistic to do that often until we all have 10 gigabit internet and multi-terabyte SSD.

It's insanely future proofed tech that will see awesome IMMEDIATE advantages... but level of detail can't go TOO FAR right now due to disk storage.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
I wonder if a guy like the one who made the game Bright Memory, could alone exploit the UE5. Or if you will need AA/AAA budget to make a game looking like the demo...

7 months, 24 devs for 8min of gameplay.
What about for a 5 to 10h game ?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

I agree, and this is my hope.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know it would be lesser on XSX? Yes the PS5 can move the data faster, but XSX can do more with the data. Going to be interesting to see the comparisons.

Do more? Explain please

I wonder if a guy like the one who made the game Bright Memory, could alone exploit the UE5. Or if you will need AA/AAA budget to make a game looking like the demo...

7 months, 24 devs for 8min of gameplay.
What about for a 5 to 10h game ?

Correction: 7 months, 24 devs for 8min of the best looking gameplay we have seen to date to sell the engine. Regular teams and indies especially arent going to need to push beyond the state of the art, and all this tech will allow them to spend less time on asset re-authoring and memory management