• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
How do you know it wasn't using the full XVA architecture? DigitalFoundry quote below.
Considering that quote, what you're saying is plausible. But for example Gears 5 and SOD2 didn't have access to the DirectStorage API(which works with the decompression block) in the demos shown so it would be surprising that the quick resume demo did.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Genuinely ignorant, but do GPUs not also contribute to aspects like texture detail, render distance, pop-in, effects, and model detail? I keep seeing this binary idea that XSX will have better FPS, Resolution, and RT, whilst PS5 will have faster loading times, superior draw distance, models, textures, etc. though not sure how accurate it is. I'm no tech-xpert, but seems kinda grossly oversimplified and contingent on the assumption that XSX will have a noose around its GPU's neck, with its SSD bottlenecking performance.
Yep, the graphics pipeline hss been grossly oversimplified into a dichotomy between TFlops vs SSD IO, and every other transistor is just sitting in a GPU twiddling its thumbs while these things are responsible for everything you see rendered. /s

I posted a bit earlier with the main differences that aren't being discussed between the two consoles. However, you can do complex analysis and still come to the conclusion of both being very powerful and closely matched, with certain strengths and weaknesses. And still having to wait for game benchmarks to see what differences are presented.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know it wasn't using the full XVA architecture? DigitalFoundry quote below.

pretty certain it isn't because it's taking pretty much exactly the same time as memory size divided by raw load speed

that would be the absolute worst case load time, as well.

so best case full purge and load for a new game would be about 2 seconds with zero precaching, and precaching will still be a thing. they will get it down to near zero quite easily for a traditional game.

technically for an xbox one x game they could probably get it down to about 1.5 seconds with a patch for games themselves.

but for game switching they're pretty much stuck with the 5 seconds as you really need 1:1... there are probably ways to improve that, but games using PRT would make probably make it hell and just open up tons of possibilities for crashing.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
www.resetera.com

Inside Xbox Series X Optimized: Dirt 5 - Devs talk SSD & ease of development on XSX

Some info on how developing for the XSX is, what compromises needed to be made for the 120FPS, etc. No loading times confirmed, too! More here: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/10/inside-xbox-series-x-optimized-dirt-5/

"The [Xbox Series X] drive is so fast that I can load data mid-frame, use it, consume it, unload and replace it with something else in the middle of a frame, treating GPU memory like a virtual disk"

I think people on XSX will not see "elevators" anytime soon... ;)

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt loading will be much different on anything that uses an NVME drive, especially toward the middle and end of the gen.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I doubt loading will be much different on anything that uses an NVME drive, especially toward the middle and end of the gen.
At Codemasters they're really pumped about it.
They are also pulling off a 4K/60 + Ray Tracing base mode and a 4K/120fps mode with the combined use of XSX CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD-IO capabilities.

Everybody gonna be fine on both systems.

LyR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what bothers me is that the new Rachet game still has these transitional in between scenes to mask the loading... in know it's early days, you can tell from the stutter from switching between those dimensions, but so much for that advantage.

Apparently 4.5 GB/s is still not fast enough ... "normal" SSDs (i.e. your PCi3 NVMe with 2 - 2.5 GB/s bandwidth) will just take 1 - 2 seconds longer so what was the point. A "normal" NVMe SSD with more storage space would've done the job. The difference between 1TB vs 825GB (god knows how much of it is actually usable) doesn't sound much but it could be at least one more average sized game installed. And let's not forget - the install speed will be dependent on the disc drive- or your internet speed. While I really, REALLY appreciate everything that is not off the shelf, and manufacturer really trying to push the envelop but it also has to be worth it. I know it's just one game and still in development - but it was obviously also kinda a tech demo to demonstrate the advantages and I can't really see them.

Another thing is when scripted/with prediction you can do this even on today's hardware, see Portal series, Bioshock Infinite, Titanfall 2 and more. Scratch that - there are PS1, Dreamcast, PS2 games that did that - obviously not with that scale but those consoles read from a bloody slow arse disc drive.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
So what bothers me is that the new Rachet game still has these transitional in between scenes to mask the loading... in know it's early days, you can tell from the stutter from switching between those dimensions, but so much for that advantage.

Apparently 4.5 GB/s is still not fast enough ... "normal" SSDs (i.e. your PCi3 NVMe with 2 - 2.5 GB/s bandwidth) will just take 1 - 2 seconds longer so what was the point. A "normal" NVMe SSD with more storage space would've done the job. The difference between 1TB vs 825GB (god knows how much of it is actually usable) doesn't sound much but it could be at least one more average sized game installed. And let's not forget - the install speed will be dependent on the disc drive- or your internet speed. While I really, REALLY appreciate everything that is not off the shelf, and manufacturer really trying to push the envelop but it also has to be worth it. I know it's just one game and still in development - but it was obviously also kinda a tech demo to demonstrate the advantages and I can't really see them.

Another thing is when scripted/with prediction you can do this even on today's hardware, see Portal series, Bioshock Infinite, Titanfall 2 and more. Scratch that - there are PS1, Dreamcast, PS2 games that did that - obviously not with that scale but those consoles read from a bloody slow arse disc drive.

I was truly surprised given how much the Sony SSD has been hyped that 2 second long Ratchet and Clank "loading screens" with those rifts were all that they really showed in their big reveal on Thursday. And in fact there were things in the gameplay trailer for Gran Turismo 7 that has clear shadows pop in at the turns and lights in the tunnel being "loaded in" late when approaching and such that don't seem like they should be there for a racing game in particular. Sony showed some cool games in general, but anything SSD related to games was not really highlighted as many expected.

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017

45157c4b3bbf32ded0da4e63e4799d0fde7b211f.gif

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT

Yes I noticed this too. While it was neat you could still the cracks.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
I was truly surprised given how much the Sony SSD has been hyped that 2 second long Ratchet and Clank "loading screens" with those rifts were all that they really showed in their big reveal on Thursday.

Funny, I felt the exact opposite. I saw the Ratchet & Clank segment and was thinking "That's what we were talking about the whole time!". They showed an action-packed sequence that really highlighted the power of the SSD and which would have been a lot less exciting if there were 5+ second loading screens.

And it's not supposed to be a gimmick, it's a tool to help developers create the games they want. I'm pretty sure there were many not-so-obvious moments during the presentation, where the SSD speed helped developers achieve their vision.

And in fact there were things in the gameplay trailer for Gran Turismo 7 that has clear shadows pop in at the turns and lights in the tunnel being "loaded in" late when approaching and such that don't seem like they should be there for a racing game in particular. Sony showed some cool games in general, but anything SSD related to games was not really highlighted as many expected.

Not sure what you are saying here. Do you think the lights in the tunnel didn't appear because they could not be loaded from the SSD in time?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
So what bothers me is that the new Rachet game still has these transitional in between scenes to mask the loading...
I touched on this in another thread prior to this event, but the reason I don't think the differences in SSD speeds will be a huge deal in many cases is because of transitions between scenes that keep things flashy. You can't just have a player switching between worlds so quickly with absolutely no transition effect. Honestly, watching that game play during the conference, I found the world-switching pretty jarring even WITH the transitions. While this is arguably the best possible way to show off the potential for SSDs, how many games can do stuff like this before it gets really old? Also, this approach would need to be saved until the endgame in many cases, as I can't imagine developers wanting to kill the surprise that comes with changes in environment throughout the course of a gaem.

I was truly surprised given how much the Sony SSD has been hyped that 2 second long Ratchet and Clank "loading screens" with those rifts were all that they really showed in their big reveal on Thursday. And in fact there were things in the gameplay trailer for Gran Turismo 7 that has clear shadows pop in at the turns and lights in the tunnel being "loaded in" late when approaching and such that don't seem like they should be there for a racing game in particular. Sony showed some cool games in general, but anything SSD related to games was not really highlighted as many expected.
You're still limited by what the GPU can handle. It doesn't matter that PlayStation 5 can load data more quickly, as you'll still have to deal with draw distance issues if you're pushing the detail in most areas too aggressively. The Ratchet and Clank footage was a good example of what the SSD can enable, but it's also a really limited use case, since there isn't much reason to be constantly switching areas in most other games.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Funny, I felt the exact opposite. I saw the Ratchet & Clank segment and was thinking "That's what we were talking about the whole time!". They showed an action-packed sequence that really highlighted the power of the SSD and which would have been a lot less exciting if there were 5+ second loading screens.

On the flip side, that R&C demo illustrated what many have been saying for a while. On an XSX, you'd still get the exact same R&C experience. Only difference would be an additional half second or so flailing in the realm between portals.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the flip side, that R&C demo illustrated what many have been saying for a while. On an XSX, you'd still get the exact same R&C experience. Only difference would be an additional half second or so flailing in the realm between portals.
This was my first thought when watching that. People were touting PS5s SSD meant no loading screens, but now we are just gonna get glorified load screens. That's exactly what R&C showed.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Around this topic, it was somewhat funny after "insiders" constantly hammering the point on how Ps5 IO is a completely different level over anything and that on other systems loading masking tricks would still have to be used, that the first game showcased to use the SSD on Ps5... Makes use of loading masking tricks with elevator rides animations (they were incredible short at only a couple seconds yeah, just like how short they were said to be on SX).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trashing Ratchet, it was by far the most impressive next gen gameplay up to this point, and ran at native 4k with some RT usage, so impressive across the board. This is more on "insiders" constantly pushing a narrative that the actual ps5 has no way of living up to.

In hindsight it's insane how much "insiders" are always painting that misleading narrative with Ps5, first that it would more powerful, when 12tf was known doubling down on that, then when 10tf was revealed through overclock that this is somewhat the efficient and elegant way despite hardware 90% close to ps5 showing single digit performance gains when clocked to the same levels, to specs outright not mattering because the IO would save everything.

I understand why Sony fans keep believing said "insiders", but it's hard to me to get why them, which are obviously PlayStation fans too, are doing this and putting insane expectations on the console like that.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I thought the rift stuff in the R&C trailer was really impressive looking, though admittedly I haven't done any microanalyzing of how the loading worked.

The only exception would be the rift-jumping inside a level, where it seemed to just be a needlessly flashy and disorienting movement mechanic.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
seems blown out of proportion. XSX still has a bit more CPU/GPU throughput and more bandwidth on the larger portion of its RAM

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I am curious if those transitions are there out of necessity or by design. If it could go faster, would it be a jarring and headache inducing experience for gamers?

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Around this topic, it was somewhat funny after "insiders" constantly hammering the point on how Ps5 IO is a completely different level over anything and that on other systems loading masking tricks would still have to be used, that the first game showcased to use the SSD on Ps5... Makes use of loading masking tricks with elevator rides animations (they were incredible short at only a couple seconds yeah, just like how short they were said to be on SX).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trashing Ratchet, it was by far the most impressive next gen gameplay up to this point, and ran at native 4k with some RT usage, so impressive across the board. This is more on "insiders" constantly pushing a narrative that the actual ps5 has no way of living up to.

In hindsight it's insane how much "insiders" are always painting that misleading narrative with Ps5, first that it would more powerful, when 12tf was known doubling down on that, then when 10tf was revealed through overclock that this is somewhat the efficient and elegant way despite hardware 90% close to ps5 showing single digit performance gains when clocked to the same levels, to specs outright not mattering because the IO would save everything.

I understand why Sony fans keep believing said "insiders", but it's hard to me to get why them, which are obviously PlayStation fans too, are doing this and putting insane expectations on the console like that.
You can't really say none of it isn't impressive or doesn't mater because Xbox still hasn't shown anything remotely on the same level so far besides Assassins Creed.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

Why do you think it will be just an additional half second? The PS5 SSD is 129% faster, which means 2 seconds will be more like 4.6 seconds on XSX. There were 5 portal jumps in this sequence, that's about 23 seconds loading time on XSX. And we are talking about a very action-packed sequence. This would kill all the momentum of that scene, or would require a significant redesign.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Why do you think it will be just an additional half second? The PS5 SSD is 129% faster, which means 2 seconds will be more like 4.6 seconds on XSX. There were 5 portal jumps in this sequence, that's about 23 seconds loading time on XSX. And we are talking about a very action-packed sequence. This would kill all the momentum of that scene, or would require a significant redesign.

Why 4.6 seconds, when you can pretty much fill up the VRAM in 3 secs max? You probably won't even need 12 GB of data in the next world to load, so it'd be even faster.
Doubling the length of time in that transition zone won't 'kill all the momentum'.

there would be zero need for a 'significant redesign'.

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
seems blown out of proportion. XSX still has a bit more CPU/GPU throughput and more bandwidth on the larger portion of its RAM
This.

Some people here overhyped (and still are) the PS5 into a magic box from the far future and downplayed the other one. I can say that after a few console generations I stopped listening to those people.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It will be fun to revisit this thread in a couple of weeks/months to see if the experts were right or wrong.

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
I expected nothing less - different forum name, same cunts. These posts are very helpful but don't worry, I won't hurt your favourite plastic toy.

hahaha, either stop using your alt-account or go back to the other site that you seem so fond off and apparently remember most of us?

On topic I just had to laugh at that absurd post of yours saying the new ssds on Xbox /PlayStation aren't fast enough. I saw the vid and there was a small stutter in camera placement but if you see the rest, the background, enemies, particles the stutter isn't there. But go ahead on your crusade to downplay the SSDs on the PS5/XSX.

Classybro

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of this ssd will allow things mom the Ps5 they can't be done anywhere else reminds me of the oh Xbox vs Ps2.

The hdd in the Xbox was going to allow for new game play that we didn't se anywhere else and all we got showing that was blinx the cat lol. The main difference then as it will be now fromthe gamers point of view will be the gpu.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The portal-jumping sequence in Ratchet and Clank was pretty neat but it was kind of a double-edged sword regarding the SSD discussion. It was pretty cool seeing the game load entire worlds one after another but loading them a couple seconds slower doesn't sound like it would be a big deal. The jury's still out on Sony's SSD bet.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Based on what? There is a reason that games don't scale off SSDs. What if the Series X SSD is twice as fast as necessary for any game that will ever be created. The Xbox team seems to be pretty good at this hardware thing lately.

Based on facts and numbers.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes, I expected the R n C part to get bought up, lol

That was an absolute showcase for the SSD, many of us said this. DF agrees.

There was also using the portals when you were on the worlds. What stuck out to me the most is how lively the other planets were when arriving . That cannot be underestimated. Full, lush, lively, fully playable.

Yeah...it was an absolute showcase for the SSD speed.

Last edited:

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Are you really going to go into that merit? Deeming people based on nothing, what insiders are you talking about? And to say that people swallow a "narrative", this is ridiculously childish.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Wow, lol.
You can't really say none of it isn't impressive or doesn't mater because Xbox still hasn't shown anything remotely on the same level so far besides Assassins Creed.

Exactly.

Are you really going to go into that merit? Deeming people based on nothing, what insiders are you talking about? And to say that people swallow a "narrative", this is ridiculously childish.

I expected salt about that R n C clip.

Last edited:

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said before. Sony has to show and prove.

All this hype around the SSD and Sony making it a very important point that they "believe in generations" so they can target next gen only.

Their games need to shine in a way no others are.

I thought the show was good, but nothing to justify the hype. The graphics and more importantly the gameplay on display at their show was pretty much on par with everything else we've seen elsewhere.

Jun 23, 2019
This was my first thought when watching that. People were touting PS5s SSD meant no loading screens, but now we are just gonna get glorified load screens. That's exactly what R&C showed.

Lol He said glorified loading screens. I guess the fact that entire levels were loaded in the second or two that Ratchet fell through portals means nothing. Insomniac are going to utilize the PS5's SSD in only a way that the Sony first party studios can. I highly doubt the XSX would give you the exact same R and C experience.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said before. Sony has to show and prove.

All this hype around the SSD and Sony making it a very important point that they "believe in generations" so they can target next gen only.

Their games need to shine in a way no others are.

I thought the show was good, but nothing to justify the hype. The graphics and more importantly the gameplay on display at their show was pretty much on par with everything else we've seen elsewhere.

And they did show n prove, with R n C.

And this is still early gen. later gen is going to be mind blowing.

Lol He said glorified loading screens. I guess the fact that entire levels were loaded in the second or two that Ratchet fell through portals means nothing. Insomniac are going to utilize the PS5's SSD in only a way that the Sony first party studios can. I highly doubt the XSX would give you the exact same R and C experience.

Well, I said before the first thing ppl were gonna look at, scrutinize was loading times. To hell with everything else.

Again, I expected salt, lol.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Was that inter dimensional void NOT a way to mask load times (ie glorified load screen like sliding between rocks)?

If there was no loading at all the portal would let you see directly into the next dimension much like how the portals in Portal works. R&C stylized the loading but that rift segment is still used to hide the next dimension loading for a couple seconds.

What they made was impressive, but the PS5 SSD did not "eliminate" load times. The R&C demo just showed a seemless way to hide the load time while also showing how fast it can load in levels. It loaded impressively fast, but they were still using typical methods to hide the loading from the player.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This kind of thread always make me think is XSX using IDE HDD.

The differences in the graphical power, and the effects of the difference in SSD speeds are very clearly being amplified by console warriors to attempt to create a gulf in performance between the two. This shits all going to look super stupid in 2 years when it doesn't shake out that way.

Jun 23, 2019
And they did show n prove, with R n C.

And this is still early gen. later gen is going to be mind blowing.

Well, I said before the first thing ppl were gonna look at, scrutinize was loading times. To hell with everything else.

Again, I expected salt, lol.

Yeah, it's becoming more and more apparent Sony has ruffled a lot of feathers. You know how the saying goes, if you have haters, you're doing something right. 😜
Was that inter dimensional void NOT a way to mask load times (ie glorified load screen like sliding between rocks)?

If there was no loading at all the portal would let you see directly into the next dimension much like how the portals in Portal works. R&C stylized the loading but that rift segment is still used to hide the next dimension loading for a couple seconds.

What they made was impressive, but the PS5 SSD did not "eliminate" load times. The R&C demo just showed a seemless way to hide the load time while also showing how fast it can load in levels. It loaded impressively fast, but they were still using typical methods to hide the loading from the player.

lol In the last, transitions like hat would have taken possibly 30 seconds or more and we got it down to 2 seconds or less. Load times have virtually been "eliminated". Besides this is a first generation launch title. As developer tools mature, we are going to see better techniques and usage. If you think this is the peak of what the PS5 can do, you'll be sadly mistaken later.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Ratchet and Clank intro sequence was a very impressive demonstration of how switching to an SSD as a baseline will change games. I do fully expect that it was designed prior to the final spec of the PS5 SSD being known, I do think it would be trivial to get that to run on the Series X SSD.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London

Sure, but how realistic is to expect that from a first generation game? The tools aren't mature enough, devs aren't experienced enough. You are all here underestimating how long it takes to achieve something like that.
These are first generation games that likely started development on non final hardware years ago.

You're asking for tech demos. Sony could have done that. I'm happy they didn't.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
To me the correct perspective here is for performance is HDD<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Xbox Series X SSD<<<<PS5 SSD.

So yeah Sony's is faster, but come on man. XSX will have amazing R&C type scenarios as well. XSX is amazing, PS5 is amazing.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The R&C thing was impressive and at the same time what I expected and something that I don't see how the XSX couldn't do, but I always was realistic about these two SSDs. Some people weren't (and will probably wil never be).

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

It is fast, but not instant. It is already a huge leap in that game, they could change the way they do the transition and make it even more seamlessly. And that game loaded FULL new areas with lots of detail, so with a little more time and experience this will only improve.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
This kind of thread always make me think is XSX using IDE HDD.
lol. we already have a 3P dev who was interviewed and couldn't stop singing praises about the SSD in XSX. so there is nothing new actually. XSX is plenty capable and a very well balanced hardware.. just wait until July when 343i and PG games show off their stuff. The next Forza will melt eyes and I think we will see something from TC and TI too. I expect some good stuff from XGS showing off what XSX is capable of.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, just like the last two generations between sony and microsoft, third parties aren't generally going to do anything that won't work on both consoles by default, so...
Exactly. I feel like the speed of the SSD is being blown out of proportion because it's the "advantage" ps5 has over xsx. I liked the ratchet and clank demo but let's not act like jumping into completely different areas is something new. For instance Bioshock infinite did it and so did prey back in the day.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
You can always use brains to cover the deficit in specs. I fully expect to see zero practical difference between PS5 and XSX SSD usage in games.