• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I expect 1st party devs to push it to the absolute maximum, yes, but I still expect 3rd party developers to use the extra speed in meaningful, albeit not as impressive ways perhaps. I don't see an entire generation where the only difference between an XSX game and a
PS5 game is just load times. That would be underwhelming.

Prepared to be underwhelmed.

The dev makes perfect sense.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expect 1st party devs to push it to the absolute maximum, yes, but I still expect 3rd party developers to use the extra speed in meaningful, albeit not as impressive ways perhaps. I don't see an entire generation where the only difference between an XSX game and a PS5 game is just load times. That would be underwhelming.
i expect better textures, or more detailed character models. maybe even better draw distance. basically everything that is vram bound might be better on the ps5.

would it be meaningful? hard to say because like resolution, high rest textures and better draw distance is hard to see unless you are zooming in all the way.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
i expect better textures, or more detailed character models. maybe even better draw distance. basically everything that is vram bound might be better on the ps5.

would it be meaningful? hard to say because like resolution, high rest textures and better draw distance is hard to see unless you are zooming in all the way.

Potentially better AI also.

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020
I wonder 5 years down the line and games finally take 1 minute long to load even on ps5 will we really notice the difference. I'm assuming this because I'm expecting games to be more ambitious and maybe the familiar of the tech won't lead to that much of an increase though

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder 5 years down the line and games finally take 1 minute long to load even on ps5 will we really notice the difference. I'm assuming this because I'm expecting games to be more ambitious and maybe the familiar of the tech won't lead to that much of an increase though

Where would all of that data be going?

This PS5 sure is a beast.

Yeah, pretty much every advantage that XSX could have had has all been sucked up now apparently. Resolution differences will be imperceptible and everything else (textures, LoD, draw distance, asset quality, etc) will be better on PS5. What a time.

Last edited:

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Never. Even taking just the raw bandwidth number alone, it would take the PS5 under three seconds to fill its entire pool of RAM.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Interesting. I wonder if the I/O speed will scale something disruptively on the PS5, it may be the case but devs always have some smoke and mirrors to make the experience consistent like he exemplified.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Specs not advertised (ignoring TF, SSD and external bandwidths) , but extrapolated from RDNA1, the weighting goes to:

Texture fillrate is XSX
Pixel fillrate is PS5
Geometry rate is PS5
Culling rate is PS5
Rasterisation is PS5
Cache internal bandwidth is PS5
Framebuffer bandwidth is XSX
AI with ML is XSX
Raytracing is XSX

They are both powerful and close in performance, with different strengths and weaknesses.

Oct 27, 2017
The wondrous thing here is that we've seen this exact same thing in the past, but people are still building castle in the sky ideas about what'll happen this time around. The PS3 on paper was quite a bit more powerful than the X360 - IF you chose to fully indulge in their hardware choices, use all the SPUs, etc. But there was a lot of cost and development time involved with that. So what did Third Party's do? They completely ignored the extra potential power the PS3 might have had and instead opted for developing the same game across multiple platforms: PC, X360, PS3 at the time.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd love for the SSD speeds the PS5 will apparently have to be the standard for all devices, but that just won't be the case. So my guess is that we'll see the PS5 winning in terms of loading times and the X1SX usually featuring higher resolutions and / or better framerates. And then it's up to gamers to decide what's more important to them. But will third party devs significantly alter their games to fully make use of one particular hardware config? No, of course not. It's hard enough to design great levels as it is, the last thing you want as a developer is to now having to change content just because potentially on some hardware you could stream things in instead of showing a loading screen. The more realistic thing to have happen here is that most third party devs will still opt to show the loading screen, but it'll take 5 seconds for X1SX to load the next batch of content, whereas the PS5 only needs 3 seconds. That's it.
A brief respite of common sense from all the rabid console warring in this thread pushing an erroneous narrative brandishing the XSX as antiquated tech.

Thank you, Thomas.

Oct 29, 2017
That's cool, different people notice different things. Personally, pop in and muddy textures drive me absolutely batty. It's nice that we have the potential for different platforms to be better fits for different people.

I just don't think it will go from amazing textures and no pop in to muddy textures and noticeable pop in. We will have to wait and see but if it's just let's say ultra setting textures down to high than I don't think most will notice imo

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't think it will go from amazing textures and no pop in to muddy textures and noticeable pop in. We will have to wait and see but if it's just let's say ultra setting textures down to high than I don't think most will notice imo

I think both the XSX and the PS5 have the potential to leverage their respective skill sets in ways that will be noticeable and I think it's great that those skill sets don't entirely overlap. One of my worries this gen was that the two boxes would be too similar and it seems like they might end up pretty different in some interesting ways. I think the diversity is good for everyone involved.

For me, the main pain points I have been having with games over the last few years are load times and pop in. They just really bug me. These problems will both be greatly lessened by both consoles, but the PS5 has the potential to eliminate them entirely in many games. That really excites me.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
For 3rd party games I expect :

-XSX = more FPS (stronger GPU and bandwidth) and less assets, less details
-PS5 = less FPS (weaker GPU) but more assets, more details

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably meant for first party. If they're the only ones who can push it hard, that would be a big performance advantage for their own games.

The ps4 has had a streak of graphically intensive games that sold very well and attracted buyers. The fast ssd might primarily be for first party since they are now very big on that front.

Also vr, tho. That and the 3d sound.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
How are new Demons Soul's players going to learn about the lore? PS5's SSD ftl.

Just kidding, lol. Show me the goods Sony, maybe the PS5 will be used for more than just exclusives if third party devs make use of the extra speed.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't XSeX have a ssd too? Or is it not as good?

It's a fast SSD, it's just not as fast as the PS5's. That being said the Series X overall is a more powerful system, but the differences with the systems are not as big as the Xbox One and PS4 at the start of this generation. Both of these systems are beasts though, and no doubt Sony first party will take great advantage of the the PS4's hardware solutions.

Oct 25, 2017

The XSX has an SSD and it's a very good SSD. MS did a lot of work to optimize how it moves textures to make it very good at that task. Which makes sense, because textures are the main thing you want to be able to move around quickly.

The PS5 just has a super-bonkers-over-the-top-SSD. Instead of optimizing it for textures, they just sort of optimized it for everything. Sony did a ton of custom work in the whole IO stack and ended up with something that is around twice as fast as what the XSX has. It's not just faster in pure transfer speed either, it is should have less latency and is structured in such a way that the speed of the SSD is very easy for devs to exploit.

The XSX SSD is roughly 50 times faster than the storage in the XBO and PS4. The PS5 is closer to 100x faster. Time will tell how much that difference really means.

slobster

Oct 27, 2017
I'll tell you what the LOD and assets in games on my PC are not limited by my SSD. You realize the GPU/CPU still has to process this stuff. Also if you break it down to 16ms for a 60fps game you are talking about 5MBs so about 80MBs which isn't much asset or texture wise so stuff won't instantly load in like that. I'm getting both consoles but I'm not getting my hopes up anything gaming wise is going to really change. Basically PCs struggle with current games 60fps at 4K and don't even get started with ray tracing, I think Minecraft runs ok on top end cards.

For 3rd party games I expect :

-XSX = more FPS (stronger GPU and bandwidth) and less assets, less details
-PS5 = less FPS (weaker GPU) but more assets, more details

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll tell you what the LOD and assets in games on my PC are not limited by my SSD.

I'll just stop you here. The assets and LOD in games on your PC are not limited by your SSD because the games you're playing were not designed with SSD in mind as the lowest common denominator. Instead, the games you're playing were designed around 5200rpm mechanical drives with seek times.

Try playing Star Citizen (a game designed around a minimum baseline of a SATA SSD, not NVMe SSD) with a traditional HDD and get back to me. Hell, I'll save you the effort, it'll basically be unplayable, with constant stuttering, freezing, pauses, tanked frame rates etc.

Stop thinking about what SSD's can offer only through the prism of current gen games. Next gen games will be beholden to entirely different standards, at least when we pass the cross-gen period anyway.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to see multiplatform games. Could make for some genuinely interesting non-clearcut differences. Some things may be better on PS5, while others better on Series X. And then Lockhart will add yet another dynamic (but I am guessing that system's differences will probably usually come down to resolution and maybe texture quality and LOD).

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I expect 1st party devs to push it to the absolute maximum, yes, but I still expect 3rd party developers to use the extra speed in meaningful, albeit not as impressive ways perhaps. I don't see an entire generation where the only difference between an XSX game and a PS5 game is just load times. That would be underwhelming.

That's how multiplatform development works, developers have neither the time nor the budget to design their game differently for every platform.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Your thinking exactly along the lines that made Linus apologize. It's not about faster loading screens, games are constantly loading during RUN TIME. With that in mind

Playstation 5 can potentially have:
Better draw distances
Better LOD
Higher quality assets across the board

As well as better load times.
So the next gen battle will be framerates and resolution AND level of detail ?
Just another thing for the boffins at digital foundry to educate me on I guess

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
The wondrous thing here is that we've seen this exact same thing in the past, but people are still building castle in the sky ideas about what'll happen this time around. The PS3 on paper was quite a bit more powerful than the X360 - IF you chose to fully indulge in their hardware choices, use all the SPUs, etc. But there was a lot of cost and development time involved with that. So what did Third Party's do? They completely ignored the extra potential power the PS3 might have had and instead opted for developing the same game across multiple platforms: PC, X360, PS3 at the time.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd love for the SSD speeds the PS5 will apparently have to be the standard for all devices, but that just won't be the case. So my guess is that we'll see the PS5 winning in terms of loading times and the X1SX usually featuring higher resolutions and / or better framerates. And then it's up to gamers to decide what's more important to them. But will third party devs significantly alter their games to fully make use of one particular hardware config? No, of course not. It's hard enough to design great levels as it is, the last thing you want as a developer is to now having to change content just because potentially on some hardware you could stream things in instead of showing a loading screen. The more realistic thing to have happen here is that most third party devs will still opt to show the loading screen, but it'll take 5 seconds for X1SX to load the next batch of content, whereas the PS5 only needs 3 seconds. That's it.
source.gif

I tried to say the same thing (especially for third party / multiplatform titles, therefore the majority of games).

That said:
PS5, next-gen only, exclusive First Party games (created with that particular SSD, and that particular I/O capabilities in mind) will for sure add further innovations visible to gamers down the line, not possible on other platforms. It will be great to see how they will translate to actual gameplay advantages.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
PS5 has been designed to nearly eliminate load times, and I suspect that is going to be one of their marketing points. The resolution and frame rate differences between consoles are likely going to be more imperceptible than they ever have been which makes asserting the importance of that over a seamless experience odd to me. There's also some possibility of the PS5 version also having better LOD and things like that which I think would be more noticable than comparisons between a native 4K image and a temporal / checkerboard image. More and more developers are going to opt for those kinds of resolutions to unlock more performance instead of being wasteful with native 4K.

In my view, having no load times will be a revelation and having even a few seconds more than that repeatedly within your game after you've adjusted would become irritating. To be honest, I don't think raw power is a "bet" that Microsoft has made at all - I just don't think they have sensed the desires of developers as well as Sony. SSD was the #1 ask and they doubled down on it whilst eliminating the necessary bottlenecks, and still having a very capable and efficiently designed APU.

I guess one thing I've been wondering this entire time is if MS did do an assessment and determined that their SSD speeds would be sufficient for next-generation engines? Do we know the general point of sufficiency on SSD speeds to achieve seamlessness? Is it at the speeds of the PS5's SSD? Or will the XSX's SSD be sufficient to meet those needs?

Of course, "more is always better" here - so the PS5 SSD will undoubetdly be easier to use in many ways for deverlopers - but will the XSX hold anything back? Or, rather, will users on the XSX really have lesser experiences?

I guess time will only tell - but I'm very curious to see how all of this plays out in real world terms.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just stop you here. The assets and LOD in games on your PC are not limited by your SSD because the games you're playing were not designed with SSD in mind as the lowest common denominator. Instead, the games you're playing were designed around 5200rpm mechanical drives with seek times.

Try playing Star Citizen (a game designed around a minimum baseline of a SATA SSD, not NVMe SSD) with a traditional HDD and get back to me. Hell, I'll save you the effort, it'll basically be unplayable, with constant stuttering, freezing, pauses, tanked frame rates etc.

Stop thinking about what SSD's can offer only through the prism of current gen games. Next gen games will be beholden to entirely different standards, at least when we pass the cross-gen period anyway.
Okay, but rendering time is still a hard limitation and I somehow doubt every developer is going to be adopting a Nanite-like system right away (especially if, as speculated, the high-res assets absolutely balloon install sizes beyond reason).

I'm not so certain LOD pop-in is going away.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess one thing I've been wondering this entire time is if MS did do an assessment and determined that their SSD speeds would be sufficient for next-generation engines? Do we know the general point of sufficiency on SSD speeds to achieve seamlessness? Is it at the speeds of the PS5's SSD? Or will the XSX's SSD be sufficient to meet those needs?

Of course, "more is always better" here - so the PS5 SSD will undoubetdly be easier to use in many ways for deverlopers - but will the XSX hold anything back? Or, rather, will users on the XSX really have lesser experiences?

I guess time will only tell - but I'm very curious to see how all of this plays out in real world terms.
I mean inferior hardware will always hold back superior hardware if a game is developed for both. It's very likely that multiplatform titles will be developed with the lower SSD in mind so that they run on both consoles. Sony first party is where we'll see these seamless gaming experiences.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
Hey so now that everyone's cool with assuming that the SSD difference in multiplats is going to be just 2 seconds vs 4 seconds load times, does that mean that you're all also cool with assuming that the GPU difference in multiplats just means 2160p vs 1989p? Because when people point that out the response usually isn't this accepting...

I suspect the differences in real games won't be as dramatic as many are expecting. Agreed.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
I mean inferior hardware will always hold back superior hardware if a game is developed for both. It's very likely that multiplatform titles will be developed with the lower SSD in mind so that they run on both consoles. Sony first party is where we'll see these seamless gaming experiences.
What if the engine doesn't necessitate those SSD speeds, though? I guess I'm wondering why are we assuming that engines will all of sudden require 9gb/s speeds when they're been working off of glacial HDD mb/s speeds for the last generation?

I agree things will be interesting for first party games - but even then, I imagine it'll take a bit of time into the generation before the i/o is really being pushed to its limits.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone will take advantage of it, sure, why wouldn't you? It's the same as on PCs. You have a nice and fast SSD in X1SX and then you have a crazy fast SSD with some other stuff that allows you to shuffle data into RAM even faster on PS5. So that's awesome for the PS5 and I don't in any way want to downplay how awesome that is.

It was the ps360 gen cell referencing that threw the conversation into unproductive territory, it wasn't a good analogy in terms of harnessing potential of an individual next gen platform in the context of 3rd party game production because, as far as we've been made aware, neither system has this kind of esoteric hardware that requires this*. Cell wasn't just sat there waiting to be helpful, it took ridiculously talented specialists plenty of time to tame that beast.

Nobody is suggesting 3rd party game/level design will be in any way enhanced on ps5 over xsx due to ssd and i/o speeds, that's simply going against the whole 3rd party production line process. But inherent benefits of faster data acces and i/o will be there to be taken advantage of by multi-platform engines in terms of obvious things such as draw distance and texture pop-in, and more so in an ongoing capacity as engines are retooled to leverage scaleable asset access rather than traditional multiple LOD levels etc.

*Actually ps5 does, it has cell-like modified CU architecture in its audio processing system that is not dedicated just to that, can be . Remains to be seen whtether this is something that is leveraged down the line by devs who want to rinse the last drops of potential out of the hardware... it'd be cool to think the few people still around with a decade-old ninja-like command over Cell could have their day once again.

I guess I'm wondering why are we assuming that engines will all of sudden require 9gb/s speeds when they're been working off of glacial HDD mb/s speeds for the last generation?
It's not a requirement, but if it's there, then better quality assets can be loaded and used in the game time critical fraction of a second it takes in which the game world changes.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
*Actually ps5 does, it has cell-like modified CU architecture in its audio processing system that is not dedicated just to that, can be . Remains to be seen whtether this is something that is leveraged down the line by devs who want to rinse the last drops of potential out of the hardware... it'd be cool to think the few people still around with a decade-old ninja-like command over Cell could have their day once again.
I'd be surprised if anyone used the Tempest engine ALU for other things besides audio. Compared to SPUs, it is equivalent to 4 of them (each SPU ~ 25.6 GFlops, Tempest ~ 100 GFlops). When you consider Zen 2 CPU has 8 cores, and each core has an AVX vector unit, each capable of 112 GFlops each (32 Flops per cycle x 3.5 GHz).

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
It's amazing reading this thread that people seem to fail to comprehend what Thomas was saying.
  • PS5 1st party will make full use of IO and create levels designed to showcase this
  • 3rd party will use the available IO bandwidth for better load times, texture streaming, whatever scalability the engine offers etc. But they won't change the fundamental nature of the game to take advantage of a single platform. Just as the XSX version will use engine scaling to benefit from its GPU and RAM bandwidth advantage.
So yes it is not just about load times. But there will almost certainly not be unique levels, assets, elevators, etc. in 3rd party games.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
It's amazing reading this thread that people seem to fail to comprehend what Thomas was saying.
  • PS5 1st party will make full use of IO and create levels designed to showcase this
  • 3rd party will use the available IO bandwidth for better load times, texture streaming, whatever scalability the engine offers etc. But they won't change the fundamental nature of the game to take advantage of a single platform. Just as the XSX version will use engine scaling to benefit from its GPU and RAM bandwidth advantage.
So yes it is not just about load times. But there will almost certainly not be unique levels, assets, elevators, etc. in 3rd party games.

Thank you, that's a clear and concise summary :)

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

The way things are being broken down you'd think MS are putting a mechanical drive in there with zero software efficiencies behind it. /s

Just bring on the games already, so we can make actual tangible comparisons. 11th can't come soon enough!

one

Nov 30, 2017

Will it make Xbox versions of game characters younger and smoother without less wrinkles and bumps?

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I don't think it's that simple, things that are easy to take advantage of(not PS3 SPUs), developers will just use. Like how a lot of developers took advantage of 360 unified RAM pool knowing the PS3 port will suffer for it. If it's in front of you and it could make your life easier "now", a lot of people will just take advantage of it, and in classic "fuck them" human nature fashion, this is even more true when the other console port is being handled by another team(again, like what happened with PS360).

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mentioned this before bith console specs was announced but I asked if LOD would be improved with next gen and was told basically no. What I mean is when your walking along in say a game like gta5 and you can see a circle around you change the detail as you walk, I'm saying this because I hope LOD the right thing for what I'm describing.

So anyway with both consoles have great SSDs does this mean that the stupid circle I see in games wont be visible because it's so far away. This really bothered me this gen, are both consoles going to be able to change this or was what someone answered me ages ago still true that I would still be able to see that transition of detail.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So the next gen battle will be framerates and resolution AND level of detail ?
Just another thing for the boffins at digital foundry to educate me on I guess
Haven't this always been part of what they did?

How is it any different now?

What thuway mentioned has always been part of what DF and others similar to them looked at.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how people expect less details and worst LOD on XSX because its SSD is slower...

Remember that its SSD will be 70-80 times faster than current gen HDDs with almost inexistant access time (compared to 10-20 ms on 2.5" HDDs), their's no way LOD and pop-in will be affected by a "slower" SSD than the PS5...

You're setting your expectations way too high, maybe only the first loading time will be slower by a second instead of two on PS5, that's all.

Even on PC slower NVMe drives are not fully exploited by games and the system unless copying tons of data, which optimized games don't do.
(I know those consoles architectures will use the SSD more efficiently but still, games won't need to load dozens of GB to load a map).
Streaming data in a open world rely a lot on CPU, sometimes more than storage, the more data to process, the more CPU it will use.

On XSX we already have somewhat of an example of what it's capable to do, when switching Xbox One X games on the fly with Forza Motorsport 7 and others. It loads it from a copy of the RAM on the SSD, but remember that it has to write the current game's RAM data on the SSD before loading it (to save the current game state), it only take a few seconds to switch from game to game (using up to 9GB of RAM).

Last edited: