• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
That's obviously false. There are posts in this very thread complaining about it.
If anything, people complain about the game itself or they question the developers in those situations..they don't blame the X/PS5 hardware. It's a totally different and ongoing narrative with the Series S. An obvious agenda from the time the thing was rumoured to exist. "will it last the generation? will it hold back the Series S/PS5? Why does it even exist? Who is this even for?" etc etc. Look what happened with Valhalla and the conclusions people made.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Glad to hear that the stuttering in perf mode on PS5 is just a bug.

acebeam

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 23, 2020
I dont see why anyone would buy a PS5 for PS Now, when there are no PS5 games on it, and no PS5 games coming to it in the foreseeable future. You may as well just get a PS4 if it's a lot cheaper....

Or just get an Xbox and Game Pass, since it's a significantly better service, and is constantly releasing Xbox Series X/S games, and will have every first party, and a bunch of partner games day one.

Have you used PSNow before? It doesn't even have PS5 games and isn't even in the same realm of being comparable to Game Pass.
When Sony starts dropping their 1st Party releases to PSNow on day 1 my credit card will be ready.

PSnow is a joke compared to gamepass. Sony doesn't even put their 1st party stuff on there at release like MS does. The comparison is laughable tbh.

PSNow doesn't compare remotely to gamepass.

Sony has a different strategy for their games, obviously. Doesn't mean if PS Now doesn't have PS5 games, won't be released lately.

Wait so you're using regular Game Pass prices and not promotions.

But using promotion price PS Now?

PS Now is 60. So, yes, i've used regular price at first. That's why i said it is cheaper in previous posts.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Sony has a different strategy for their games, obviously. Doesn't mean if PS Now doesn't have PS5 games, won't be released lately. Neither GP doesn't have XSX games yet ( no, i don't count a Smart Delivery ones )

PS Now is 60. So, yes, i've used regular price at first. That's why i said it is cheaper in previous posts.
Honestly trying to argue PSNow, as a service, is comparable to Gamepass can only be stemming from fanboyism.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
But other way around isn't fanboyism. Anyway, if you characterize it that way, fine. I'm out.
The other way around is just stating facts. Gamepass is brilliant.

But yes, this isn't the thread for this talk.

I've been watching my brother play Fenyx on the series X performance mode. Runs brilliantly and I'm really digging the art style of the game.

The writing however, is a bit much.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Why you don't use Ultimate? You must use Ultimate if you want to play online.
You can get Game Pass without online - it's the standard Game Pass offering. You can pay for Live in addition if you want to play online. So it is cheaper. And Game Pass is a better service imo. Better games. Newer games. Better curated. More frequently updated. ETc.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Why has this thread gone from Immortals to game pass vs ps now?

On topic: solid performance on both machines, Series S is pretty good too but the lower resolution (on TV) isn't something I can be content with anymore.

Mar 11, 2019
Great performances for the 400$ box.
Yes, if gamepass is not in your interest, and disregarding the exclusive games from MS and Sony, and the dualsense. Pure looking at the Series S and PS5 digital edition. You are getting way more out of your money with the PS5, it being a much bigger distinction in performance/resolution compared to current gen.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Another win for PS5 it seems (performance bug aside).

I think those that bought a Series X for 3rd party games may be a little disappointed at the moment.

That's me. I bought both, under the assumption that I'd be buying 3rd party games on the Xbox. Reading results like this - that they're identical - just makes me wonder about any other differences. Does it do anything cool with the DualSense? I bought Call of Duty Cold War on Xbox, and sometimes when the controller rumbles, I think "I bet this rumble is better on PS5". Like the level that opens on a train. LOL.

Anyway, I still imagine I'll get a lot of 3rd party games on Xbox, anyway - to balance out storage space. They're both going to be full all too soon.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
For many it is pretty obvious that you can't tell on video's depending on the the source. I have personally not played the PS5 version but a friend has it and he is pissed about the stuttering. It is more of a frame pacing issue that should be easily patched..hopefully quickly.

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye on impressions and wait for a bit to see if they fix it.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
Series X having occasional resolution drops from 4K even in the 30FPS mode is very interesting, with PS5 having no observable drops.

Another one where it seems PS5 performs a little better despite the claimed on-paper power differential.
We all know by now developer tools are worse on Xbox at the moment. It's not a claimed on paper power differential, there is a power differential full stop.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I used to think this way too, till I realised the trick to getting cheaper digital games is buying discounted PlayStation Wallet Top-ups. You can buy every kind of fund amount at reduced rates at numerous different outlets, eg CDKeys and ShopTo, sometimes as much as 20% off, which also means you can buy essentially all Digital games with 15-20% discounts almost all the time.

is there a place like shopto for Australia?

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, if gamepass is not in your interest, and disregarding the exclusive games from MS and Sony, and the dualsense. Pure looking at the Series S and PS5 digital edition. You are getting way more out of your money with the PS5, it being a much bigger distinction in performance/resolution compared to current gen.

the $300 XBS vs $400 PS5 is looking more and more outlandish everyday

Rubik8

Dec 5, 2018
the $300 XBS vs $400 PS5 is looking more and more outlandish everyday
Unless the series S is your "cheap game pass machine", I see zero reason to buy it over a digital PS5. I'm sure that was Microsoft's strategy, but I think the $399 PS5 caught them off guard. It will be interesting to see if having the cheapest and noticeably inferior machine will be successful.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
where in the video do they show better draw distance on the Series X? I really couldn't tell a difference.
Geometry on the bridge seems a little better on the SX version in performance mode at 7:16. But honestly that could just be a trick of light and shadow and would be an LOD difference not draw distance. idk what he means.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Unless the series S is your "cheap game pass machine", I see zero reason to buy it over a digital PS5. I'm sure that was Microsoft's strategy, but I think the $399 PS5 caught them off guard. It will be interesting to see if having the cheapest and noticeably inferior machine will be successful.
It's really early and I think the S is better hardware than you give it credit for. The digital PS5 is also clearly less available than the disc version and will probably stay that way.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really early and I think the S is better hardware than you give it credit for. The digital PS5 is also clearly less available than the disc version and will probably stay that way.

it drops below 1080-720p at times for a brand new console in 2020, hard to sell that when you can spend $100 more for a significant upgrade in tech

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
it drops below 1080-720p at times for a brand new console in 2020, hard to sell that when you can spend $100 more for a significant upgrade in tech
And I think it's an issue with development. The series S hardware is light years ahead of the Xbox one x and we never saw one x drop like this.

The Series S has the same cpu as the series x just clocked 200mhz slower and it's GPU is still pretty good for a $300 console. It should be performanijg better than it is. Again it's early and none of the next gen systems are hitting their promises of true 4K 60fps

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I used to think this way too, till I realised the trick to getting cheaper digital games is buying discounted PlayStation Wallet Top-ups. You can buy every kind of fund amount at reduced rates at numerous different outlets, eg CDKeys and ShopTo, sometimes as much as 20% off, which also means you can buy essentially all Digital games with 15-20% discounts almost all the time.
Cdkeys is so awesome, one of my go to sites for cheaper stuff like that.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I went ahead and ordered this on Amazon since they had the price dropped down to $50 and I had a gift card, but it's still not shipped and they aren't estimating it coming until December 17th lol. Guess physical stock must be low, or Amazon is just shitting itself shipping wise right now.

bert muscle

Aug 15, 2018
A hard sell.. for you. $100 is a lot of money for some. Not everybody is a graphics enthusiast. Imagine the value of the Series S to a parent buying a console for their child. It's takes up significantly less space, draws less electricity, and is over a third cheaper than it's digital rival. This doesn't even account for the cost of games. With PS5 they'll likely have no other option but to spend $70 on 1 game. Whereas with Game Pass, $70 is equivalent to 7 months of access to more than 100 games.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The only thing these comparisons keep hammering home is that the PS5 is a beast!

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Genuinely weird that series X isn't handily winning all of these. The bigger gpu should always come out on top, especially at full 4K

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So far it seems like outside of Ubisoft games the consoles are super damn close. Seems like Ubisoft is struggling the most with Xbox consoles.

That said, unless you watch comparison videos you are never going to know.

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
The difference between SX and PS5 is invisible to 99% of consumers (although ps5 outperforming SX must be an interesting case for study hardware wise, not my area)...
What really stands out is the Series S hitting 720p at launch. It paints a grim picture for the rest of the gen, and comparing it to a 2017 portable console doesn't redeem it. It also looks more and more like a bad investment compared to a PS5 DE

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
What really stands out is the Series S hitting 720p at launch.

Its handing most games at 1080p fine. its only in performance mode where you will get the lower resolution. I gave a ss to a friend of mine and she is loving it. she says AC Valhlla looks amazing on her 4k tv.

most people really dont give a shit about resolution if they are playing on a bigass tv on the couch.