• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017

Quality Mode PS5 in Performance Mode currently has a bug that causes stuttering unrelated to the games frame rate.

PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2275x1280. PS5 in Performance Mode rarely renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160.

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode rarely renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160.

The scene at 0:46 was where the lowest resolution was found and this scene seems to render at a higher average resolution on PS5 in Performance Mode than Xbox Series X in Performance Mode. However, in other scenes the PS5 and Xbox Series X render at a similar resolution in Performance Mode, and in some cases the Xbox Series X can render at a higher resolution than PS5.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode use a form of temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 3840x2160 when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox Series S in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1280x720. Xbox Series S in Perforamnce Mode uses a form of temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 1920x1080 when rendering natively below this resolution.

The only resolution found on PS5 in Quality Mode was 3840x2160.

Xbox Series X in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 3328x1872. Drops in resolution below 3840x2160 on Xbox Series X in Quality Mode seem to be uncommon.

Xbox Series S in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. Xbox Series S in Quality Mode uses a form of temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 2560x1440 when rendering natively below this resolution.

dvPivy4.png

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Sooo it looks like I'll pick this up on ps5 instead of series X? Am I reading that right that there is a steadier performance there?

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
What does " Quality Mode PS5 in Performance Mode currently has a bug that causes stuttering unrelated to the games frame rate. " mean? Not sure I understand Quality mode in Performance Mode

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
Series X having occasional resolution drops from 4K even in the 30FPS mode is very interesting, with PS5 having no observable drops.

Another one where it seems PS5 performs a little better despite the claimed on-paper power differential.

Apr 25, 2018
I imagine the stuttering bug will be resolved in due time. Game is gorgeous on PS5 and I'm really enjoying it!

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Sooo it looks like I'll pick this up on ps5 instead of series X? Am I reading that right that there is a steadier performance there?

Slightly higher framerate and a higher lower bound on dynamic resolution, in both mode.

Pretty minimal differences though overall, both versions look great.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Picking this up for Christmas. Currently getting the XSX version, does the PS5 version have adaptive trigger stuff?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
once again, the differences are minuscule. Definitely surprising however (that they are basically the same).

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
seems good for any of the consoles. Cutscenes render at 30fps even on perf mode on Series S, but that's about it?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Series S really seems to be struggling to meet its marketed resolution. I'd had doubts about it meeting targets from the start but I cant imagine this console isn't going to be a headache for devs for a while to come

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Wow, another game where they're close to identical. This gen is going to be really boring for these types of comparisons, isn't it? But that is a good thing I would say.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Picking this up for Christmas. Currently getting the XSX version, does the PS5 version have adaptive trigger stuff?
It uses but I don't know how well.
Two different feedbacks from 2 outlets:
Push Square:
Speaking of which, the PS5 DualSense controller actually falls on the opposite end of the spectrum by providing less resistance than it probably should. The new adaptive triggers are utilised sparingly, with just the release of an arrow from a short bow activating any major implementation. Haptic feedback crops up here and there too, but it's nothing more than a pretty basic use case.

Playstation LifeStyle:
The PS5 version of Immortals takes advantage of the console's unique features with the DualSense providing both haptic feedback and adaptive trigger functionality. It's not as strong as something like Astro's Playroom, but it's one of the better third-party implementations of the new controller.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Sounds like good versions with barely any differences. Seems like you can buy it either on PS5 or Series X without second thoughts. Great stuff!

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, another game where they're close to identical. This gen is going to be really boring for these types of comparisons, isn't it?
well not really. Its still really impressive that a '17% weaker console' is basically performing the same as the 'slayer of monsters'.

Last edited:

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
well not really. Its still really impressive that a '17% weaker console' is basically performing the same as the 'slayer of monsters'.
Not really a good thing? Why do you say that? It should stop some console warring for sure! And we'll see if the XSX starts outperforming the PS5 once devs get more comfortable with the tools. It will be interesting!

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
User banned (permanent): Platform wars. Recently returned from a long ban for platform wars. Multiple prior bans for platform wars.
Best Exclusives and Best Versions of Multiplats. 'Chef's kiss'

Fantastic Job Sony, PS5 is a Beast.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland

Exactly, this seems to be getting missed. The fact that they are almost identical is inherently interesting to analyse, because it shouldn't be slightly going the way of PS5, it should be a moderately noticeable advantage in the other direction.

bert muscle

Aug 15, 2018
Series S really seems to be struggling to meet its marketed resolution. I'd had doubts about it meeting targets from the start but I cant imagine this console isn't going to be a headache for devs for a while to come
By your measure, both PS5 and Series X are both struggling to hit their marketed resolution too.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Not really. It's almost the exact advertised split here (when Series X is 4K, Series S is 1440p).

It's lower than that in Performance mode, but then PS5 and Series X are too. That's the hit you take - on all consoles - for a framerate mode.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not really a good thing? Why do you say that? It should stop some console warring for sure! And we'll see if the XSX starts outperforming the PS5 once devs get more comfortable with the tools. It will be interesting!
sorry, I was more speaking to the point you made about the comparisons being boring. I'll edit my original post so its more clear. My bad.

its a great thing the consoles are basically the same.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017

"However, in other scenes the PS5 and Xbox Series X render at a similar resolution in Performance Mode, and in some cases the Xbox Series X can render at a higher resolution than PS5"

It seems the series x can render at a higher resolution than ps5 in come scenes, but it's fairy identical.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, another game where they're close to identical. This gen is going to be really boring for these types of comparisons, isn't it? But that is a good thing I would say.
That's good. Make comparisons so boring no one bothers to check back later in the gen. Games being so close it's a good thing. No negative PR for both consoles.

If it weren't for these websites no one would even care about performance because they're so close the average person can't even see the difference.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
Didn't they also note, that this version also runs at a higher res in places than PS5? At that point isn't it a wash especially if it happens momentarily?

The lowest resolution found on Series X is considerably lower than the lowest found on PS5, though without averages and standard deviations we can't say too much with that, it could drop to that for 2 seconds on Series X and then never do it again. I'd prefer a more in depth analysis of these resolution counts, more of how long it spends at each and what is the average figure, rather than just min and max.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Interesting results.
This thread is also headed in a predictable direction, sadly.
Had no interest in this but I'm comin around to it

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So PS5 version it is, though you're good with either. Will probably pick this up after I'm done with Valhalla and Cyberpunk.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
By your measure, both PS5 and Series X are both struggling to hit their marketed resolution too.
I'd agree. They're at a low of 1080 which is lower than I'd have expected but they are achieving the 4k target at times it seems. The S seems to peak at 1080 here unless I misread it. Will double check now lol
Not really. It's almost the exact advertised split here (when Series X is 4K, Series S is 1440p).

It's lower than that in Performance mode, but also neither Series X or PS5 are 4K there.
Yeah all of them aren't hitting the peak resolution which I'd expected tbh, just lower than I'd have imagined at minimum. I think I may have misread it though and caught the S was peaking at 1080p in quality? I thought it was performance mode it was peaking at 1080

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah all of them aren't hitting the peak resolution which I'd expected tbh, just lower than I'd have imagined at minimum. I think I may have misread it though and caught the S was peaking at 1080p in quality? I thought it was performance mode it was peaking at 1080

Series S is peaking at 1440p and using reconstruction to 1440p when it drops.

Xbox Series S in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. Xbox Series S in Quality Mode uses a form of temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 2560x1440 when rendering natively below this resolution.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

Anyone with an ounce of sense would agree. Choose based on price, controller, friends etc. instead of being beholden to comparisons that are essentially splitting hairs.